Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

RatHat posted:

Yeah gravity girl has a ridiculous power. She only has to touch a person once and they're basically hosed and can't fight anymore(unless they can fly). Most of the powers we've seen so far are pretty good actually.
Well yeah, when you extrapolate what a power does significantly and raise its power to the extreme almost every power looks good. More realistically (from an in-universe standpoint) the actual effectiveness of their power will come from how costly it is to use. For an example with gravity girl, I imagine that the energy cost to making something weightless increases exponentially as its mass does, so I'm not sure if she can start tossing around boulders yet. As much as I kind of love the idea of her turning off all the gravitational force in a star to cause it to explode, I imagine that things are gonna be significantly more mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
So because of the Square-Cube Law and how it relates to Spiders and Spider-Man, does Frog-Girl just have a moderate, but not significant, boost in strength and stamina? I hope the answer is yes. Or hell, just give her spidey-strength boost. Who cares.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

And Tsuyu is still the best. Though, those are some interesting groups they've been broken up into; funnily enough, the larger the group the more terrified its members seem. The group of four against the void guy has at least half its number looking scared, and of the Deku-Tsuyu-Mineda group only Tsuyu seems completely composed, while fire-and-ice dude is not only alone against some villains but perfectly calm, he seems to be winning because he's just completely ridiculous.
Assuming good writing (ah who am I kidding, of course it is) that's probably because it's the best split for narrative reasons. All the villains are assumed to be equivalently powerful in the eyes of the reader, while the heroes are assumed to have a currently unknown hierarchy in power. By extension, the weaker members (as of the moment) will have to use numbers to defeat the enemy that only takes one fire//ice dude to handle. From there, it's obvious that the weaker members will be less confident and more frightened of the opposition, while the stronger members will be a lot more confident.

I hope this is accurate because it then follows that Tsuyu is one of the strongest in the group.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

MrCinos posted:

Whish is really not the case. Voidman seems to be much stronger than other villains in the group. Not counting handyman.
I guess I should've been more specific, and it's also the case that the theory doesn't quite hold because there's a difference in enemy number per group. Still, with the way the villains have been introduced...

There are too many villains at the moment to really individualize most of them. The ones that have been given an identity (void guy and hands) have done so by suggesting significantly more power than the others. However, the remaining villains which don't have a real identity will all be assumed to have equivalent power. Basically, if Hands is number 1 and Void is 2 for comparison's, the reader will not draw a real distinction between 5 and 30 at the moment (unless given an actual numerical scale that's directly related to overall power as I just did).

In short, the reader lacks information and also has some reason to believe that some of the upcoming information won't matter in the long run (in other words, some of the villains may be defeated and thus their relative power won't have future significance) so the reader is already mentally prepared to send some of them into the rabble category. By comparison, it's more likely (at least in a reader's eyes) that the heroes will all survive and be given further development, thus they matter more.

I could go on about theory having to do with the reader's interaction and exploration with new material, but eh.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

MrCinos posted:

Why would you assume that? Voidman seems to be much stronger than other villains in the group (excluding their leader of course). I doubt other villains are equal as well. Though those which will be of no importance (aka fodders) are probably on the same level, just like any numerous group of characters who aren't relevant enough to get a name.
You're right, I'm not assuming that overall. I am probably assuming a larger number of fodder villains than you though, because we've been introduced to so many at once. Unless this conflict in specific goes on for a real long time or a significant number of these villains survive and come back to have more development, it's expected for most to be fodder of equivalent level.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

The Square-Cube Law has never existed in comics and double especially doesn't apply to super powers. She's probably going to be powerly related to frogs on a ratio only slightly more stringent than Spider-Man is to spiders.
Uh... I mean, it doesn't exist in comics exactly, but the origin of Spider-Man's power is the Square-Cube Law. Spiders are stronger proportional to their size because of the Square-Cube Law, and that is the justification for Spider-Man gaining strength, because he is proportionally larger than a spider so he should be that much proportionally stronger. The resulting strength increase comes from a violation of the Square-Cube Law, but the resulting super power is very much drawn from the interconnection between the Square-Cube Law and spiders and spiders to Spider-Man. It doesn't have to exist in a universe to have an affect, it just has to be part of the interplay between the fiction and reality.

Basically if the Square-Cube Law didn't exist then spiders wouldn't be proportionally stronger for their size and one of Spider-Man's powers wouldn't be super strength. Also the world would implode on itself but y'know, that comes with loving with reality.

Woah what does this have to do with your post... Oh yeah in reality frogs aren't noted for being that much stronger in proportion to their size, and this is a result of the Square-Cube Law not giving them that illusion of super strength (also body structure and stuff). Thus, it would be slightly weird if Frog-Girl was given super strength akin to Spider-Man's, because frogs aren't known for their proportional strength to the same degree that spiders are. Because Frogs aren't as strong as spiders proportional to their size because the Square-Cube Law exists. Thus frogs aren't well known for super strength.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 26, 2014

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

Why was Grapeboy so fascinated by the thought of Tsuyu secreting her poison? There's nothing remotely sexy about that.
Even though he's been set up as "the pervert" character, I didn't read his fascination as perversion. I read it as awe and disgust, like a girl secreting poison was a massive turn off.

Which is fine, because that would mean more Frog Girl for the rest of us.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I kinda wish Hands would've went into it a bit more because the idea of villains actually addressing the fact that licensed heroes beating up badguys is pretty much state-licensed violence is kind of a cool angle instead of "WE'RE ASSHOLES AND WANNA KILL STUFF"
He's got the rest of his life in the manga to do that, why let it all loose early?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Soylentbits posted:

Quite a few comics have been unjustly cancelled though.

Mx0!!!!
Did Mx0 compete with AssClass and One Piece in terms of rankings?

This isn't rocket science. Going by actual measures that most companies use to determine keeping things in circulation, this manga's not getting cancelled any time soon.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Soylentbits posted:

Yeah but on the other hand talk of potential cancellation leads to a perfect segue about the unjustness of Mx0's cancellation.
There is no potential cancellation. There is people thinking that companies are big scary monsters that want to destroy everything you like with an evil grin, rather than a business that simply decides these things using metrics that none of their readers use.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

What I don't understand is how, in a world with "normals" and superpowered people, it wouldn't naturally lead to a situation where superpowered people run all of the power structures of society -- police, government, big corporations and all.
I mean we could make this From the New World again, but I think it's just fine as it is.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

I'm cheering for them.

tlarn posted:

I want to believe that's a moth-girl because that's an adorable idea. :3:

Actually there's quite a few bug-themed mutant heroes, huh?
I was thinking she was a ram based on that small picture, but moth works too. Man I love the character designs in this series, some how the author made a splash of 42 faces interesting.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

I gotta say, what initially drew me to this manga was the great designs and expressions for pretty much everyone - I can immediately spot Deku and explosion dude, not to mention all the mutants. The girls are easily discernible, too - in fact, the creation girl at first only stood out because she seemed to be the only NORMAL one. So I'm not much of a fan of Todoroki. He's... got a burn scar, and a pretty expressionless face. Not a fan. Also that hardening dude, who seems to have no features whatsoever until he uses his power... Oh well.[/spoiler]
I'm fine with Todoroki being the dude with the more generic expressionless face. As shown, he's the character with the Tragic Back Story That Drives His Motivation, so he's got the trauma justifying him being dead serious all the time. As long as there aren't too many characters that copy the expression, it ends up distinctive to him and works for the comic.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Also hoping the other fights get some decent attention, rather than summation panels. Momo vs. Fumikage in particular would be very interesting to see played out.
The author has definitely built up enough of my confidence for his ability to entertain and create a variety of entertaining characters. I actually hope that we see literally every match in the bracket played out, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled it off.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Cool chapter IMO, yeah literal deus ex machina but at it's not dumb.
I really don't feel as if it's a literal deus ex machina because of the slight foreshadowing that people have raised on this very page, but yeah it's pretty close.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Algid posted:

Wouldn't it be breeding for perfect IVs?
Yes, although I'm not sure if his Endeavor and his wife are 5IV so he probably made the entire thing a lot harder than he had to.

I mean, I imagine 6IV's the goal here, Todoroki is probably some kind of mixed attacker.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

No one taking about how the nurse and All Might are weirded out that All Might showed up in the vision? :ohdear: Maybe not alot of time left for him.
Uh.... if by not a lot you mean it's even possible literally all of his power is already gone. I assume nobody's talking about it because it's kind of obvious what it meant, up to and including it being a sign that all the power has finished transferring.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

As All Might said, that's a good thing, the point is for deku to get all the drat power
While it's true that that's the ultimate goal, one insidious part about this process is that no matter what it has a moment of weakness. The power has to transfer from one place to another, with the recipient having to learn how to use it as the old master loses it. This is naturally going to bring about some kind of fault point, and whether the vision is a sign that all of All Might's power has been transferred or only a significant portion has, this is a story telling sign that that fault point has just about been reached. Further, because this is a story, the chance that there is a villain with working knowledge about this aspect of All for One is 100%. Given that, this is just about the optimal point for the villain to act.

Ever since this tournament arc began people have been guessing that the tournament will be cut short due to another villain attack. That possibility has just increased.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Mr. Fowl posted:

I loved the face Uraraka made when Deku told her he's been taking notes on everybody. This whole time. Including her.

And it completely goes over his head why someone might find that a bit unsettling.
Plus side, you can be sure he never forgets your anniversary.

Seriously though I'm glad we've come back to him being a massive superhero dork.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

I Love Annie May posted:

When this manga will get an anime adaptation, you'll have all the fights you want. Each single fight will also be a 5 episodes long filler arc where in each episode there'll be 19 minutes of recycled animation and in the remaining time we'll get anime original character that are mostly the animator's rejected sketches for his ecchi harem comedy set in a kindergarten, and the only thing those characters will say will be "He's using that technique!" "Not that technique!" "That technique?" "If he uses that technique then..." And when it will use that technique the animation will be so terrible it will make Naruto look like Akira.

And then everyone will sigh:"Man, why did they put all this bullshit filler? If only they kept things more concise..."
To be fair here, the Chuunin arc is basically considered to be the universal high point of Naruto and that's about where we're at in terms of story. Not that I don't expect Hero Academia to continue being great, but no, they really could've been a bit more expansive in the battles.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Thankfully this is a mostly upbeat shounen because "I'm going to become a hero and make a whole bunch of money to give my parents the life they deserve!" is deathflaggy as gently caress as far as ancillary character motivations go.
Female lead/primary love interest ain't ancillary, bro.

Now if this was Frog Girl yeah there'd be more concern.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Zeruel posted:

:ssh: its One-for-All :ssh:
The big bad's gonna have an ability called All-for-One and then everybody's just gonna give up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Good job Todoroki.

Now all you have to do once you've surpassed All Might is go up to your father and say, "Now you're third best."

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would it be bad if Todoroki loses because he couldn't control his fire due to lack of practice? Not saying he will lose, just that it's a possibility.
You know, I was wondering about a satisfying way that Todoroki could actually lose this fight. Dude;s been shown to be way too powerful for it to be easy for Deku to just win. I really like this idea of him sacrificing this short term victory to learn to use a power he's been neglecting out of spite.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Todoroki's probably got some experience using his fire powers, he just refuses to use them on principle.
Oh yeah he has to, but having powers become combat ready takes a lot of work. Especially since he's most likely been advancing his ice half without balancing his fire half at all. No matter how you spin it, he's got lots of work to do and it's gonna start out looking really clunky (probably only to pros though, he's got enough power that the flash overshadows the inability to anyone else).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

tsob posted:

Bearing in mind that Todoroki has yet to land a single hit on Deku, that Deku has deflected or destroyed every attack that Todoroki has tried (and that ice is as powerful as fire as an elemental power) and that Deku has actually managed to land some hits on Todoroki I'm not really seeing where you're having trouble. The only difficulty Deku has is holding out long enough to win considering how damaging his fighting style at the moment is. If his attacks weren't so self destructive he'd be cake-walking this fight. And surviving ridiculous injuries is shonen 101. If he can pop fingers back in and clench broken fingers then he can probably still manage a few more flicks or punches. And he can still do kicks if nothing else.
Wait are you honestly trying to assert that breaking every bone in your body as the fight goes on isn't a losing state? "If he wasn't actively destroying every resource available to him he'd be cake-walking this fight!"

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

"Not digging the way you're rubbing that salt in."
Speaking of rubbing salt in...

Aggressively self-destructive strategies lead to loss? Anybody reasonable could have seen that coming.

Fabricated posted:

The whole shipping of underaged characters thing is never not creepy but at least with MHA it's done with some humorous intent.
"Shipping" on its most basic level is something everyone does, even with highschool characters.

Sometimes I feel like people online who call out poo poo for being creepy don't actually interact with people in the real world.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't really care about ships one way or the other, but I've known a lot of people to be irrationally possessive of their headcanons and outright enraged when people didn't wind up with who they wanted. I ain't the most standard guy, but that's pretty weird to me.

That and "Character A ruined Character B's life, they must want to get down." I'm sure there's some fetish there, but I'd rather not know it.
I'm not saying that stuff's all that normal, but I'm just saying that people being interested in the romantic lives of fictional characters (yes, even if they're high schoolers, because somehow highschoolers liking highschoolers is weird now?) is universal from what I've seen.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Creepy things are creepy but if people are that hot and bothered about it oookay then.
Creepy things ARE creepy, no one can deny that tautology. But in order for a tautology to be applicable the concept and definition itself has to be valid. What's creepy here?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Isn't the discussion of what is or is not creepy inherently creepy in itself? Man, we're getting pretty philosophical here!!
Who knows, I just don't agree with someone trying to give a parting shot and then going "but fine I guess I won't get into it." I also find it comedic to call something creepy that I've seen everyone do, and everyone can't be creepy, then the definition has no meaning! The point of the term creepy is to exclude people because they're abnormal in an unsettling way for X reason here.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Does the inherent existence of super powers precipitate a population of heroes and villains, or does it only exacerbate existing conditions? Is it necessary to base an entire industry around superpowered displays? Why does All Might believe it absolutely imperative that there should be a Symbol of Peace?
Heroes and villains exist in the everyday world, super powers merely allows them to take a certain form. As for that, I think I agree with All Might that there should be a symbol of peace. The same way certain images are reused to evoke an imagery or message, peace should have its own icon. In a world with super powers, it seems fitting that in this case the symbol should be a superhero.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Jesus, that hand looks like that of a 60 year old's.
Seems like the logical endpoint of a strategy which results in destroying all your limbs over and over again. Which, btw, is not a strategy that is usually good for winning because if you don't start winning immediately you've already lost and the best case scenario is a phyrric victory.

This is a good comic.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Would it be possible to launch attacks with super-strength that don't involve hitting people with his own fragile limbs? For example, if he used a stick or a pole or something?
I think the point is he's supposed to eventually learn how to control the output so that he doesn't hurt himself or break his limbs at all. Any other method is gonna be a crutch preventing him from properly learning how to use the technique.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

:mediocre:
Indeed. I argued something similar just prior to the tournament.

It's a compelling conflict of interest. A hero should be selfless. Deku is selfless. That's good. Even when the chips are down and the odds are against him, he's selfless. What a guy. But his selflessness borders on a reckless disregard for his own safety. That's bad. It could get him killed one day. It's already almost gotten him killed several times. And yet, it was Deku's suicidal cavalry charge to save Bakugou (which he had no hope of actually pulling off) that convinced All Might he had found his successor. Those same qualities that could be his undoing were very clearly, very unambiguously the reasons he was selected. He should be less reckless, and I believe with time and training he'll get there, but I also believe he'll always be the kind of person to put others first - even at great personal cost. It's who he is and what he does.

That said, there's a recurring motif of Deku "Failing" to meet expectations publicly, only to secretly meet them in some other fashion. He risked his life foolishly to save Bakugou, nearly died, and was declared All Might's successor. He blew his one shot at the entrance exam, or so he thought, only to be accepted on the basis of his having saved another student. All Might saw the sports festival as a way to announce his successor by way of a demonstration of strength and physical prowess. Deku lost, only to prove himself All Might's successor in another way: "Saving" Todoroki (though he's still a work in progress).

Deku has routinely displayed strength the casual observer might mistake for weakness, and intelligence some would say was stupid. He's not much to look at, but houses great power. We're still pretty early on in the series, but I wouldn't be surprised if this theme is here to stay.
So basically, My Hero Academia is UBW 2.0. Got it.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it good?

I've been meaning to watch it.
People like it a lot in general. The Something Awful thread has a lot of back and forth comparing it to Fate/Zero (I really can't come off as looking good considering how often I seem to put myself in those fights lately). In any case, the similarities are somewhat superficial in that the themes you took are core superhero themes and the protagonists of both works (Shirou in UBW and Deku in My Hero Academia, so far at least) embody the selfless hero ideal. The main reason I made the comment was your last line, "Deku has routinely displayed strength the casual observer might mistake for weakness, and intelligence some would say was stupid."

EDIT: Also I just looked over the post and realized how impartial I tried to be since I'm a fan of the works in general. Yes you should watch it, it's fantastic!

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 29, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Also Beef Waifu likes it so if you dislike it you hate new ADTRW.

EDIT:

Darth Walrus posted:

It's hella pretty and has a good first half, but the pacing has tanked recently and they've failed at building a compelling central conflict with emotional resonance. I'd say Hero Academia is actually doing the same arc better, smarter, and more excitingly.
Also I'm very, very positive My Hero Academia isn't doing the exact same arc as UBW at all. As shown in the other thread, you've kind of been consistently missing points.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 29, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Exact same, no, similar conflict between selflessness and selfishness, yes. I think HA does a better job of grounding Deku's dilemma and making us feel the consequences - UBW often seems like an abstract and overly-verbose thought experiment.
Fair enough.

When's that chapter going to be readable so we can get more Bokugou character moments.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

According to the author comments in Weekly Jump, this arc actually lasted twice as long as Horikoshi had planned.
That comment alone makes me have more faith in this author. Specifically, he had a very specific and express purpose in mind when doing the arc but he knew when to add some padding and depth behind his concise original plan.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

chumbler posted:

Alien Queen is perfect for acid girl, and it gets my approval. Pinky does not.

Really all the names are good, though. Also Midnight is fun.
Pinky just makes me want her to team up with the Brain.

Xenomorph would have been a much better name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Tollymain posted:

am i the only person who sort of likes her weird costume
I like it. It's like a camo dress thing. I'm in.