Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd been sitting on starting this for a while partially because of the godawful translation of the first chapter, and between Wonderful 101 and rewatching Tiger and Bunny, I got in the mood for some non-cynical heroing, and this has absolutely delivered so far. I'm only up to chapter 8 now, but the main character is earnest in every way, the side characters are entertaining, and it's pushing the right hero series buttons. I think I was sold at the chapter title "The Ferocity of a loving Nerd."

I also like how he uses the costume his mom made even though it's super goofy and the smile is actually more terrifying than reassuring. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm now all caught up on this, and it is rad. Also anyone hating on Bakugou is dumb. He's every bit as good as the rest of the characters. About the only character who's kind of weak so far is Momo, really. It's not really that she's the fanservice character, because I think that's handled reasonably well and it feels like she owns it well enough, but more that her design is just pretty normal in a series with people like Tsuyu, Bakugou, birdman, ant girl, and Grape. That being said, she hasn't really had any screen time outside of fights, so I'm not too worried, but she doesn't have a personality or look that is really attention grabbing outside of the obvious. It's cool that her training montage was studying, given her quirk, but that's not as funny as ear plug weightlifting, etc. Hopefully she'll become something more than just a generically cool and competent side character.

Also Grape is going to lose his poo poo if he ever meets Mt. Lady.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Don't forget, should any of them have the audacity to learn to walk, it's up to him to cripple them again. Those third-class schmucks need to know their place.

Yeah, nah, maybe I'll come around to the guy once he demonstrates the capacity to be anything other than a Grade A dickweed.

I'd love for him to still be one of the good guys but just a complete loving rear end in a top hat the whole time. Granted that wouldn't really be any character development (and we've already seen hints that he's growing), but I don't think I'd ever want to see him being nice and buddy buddy with people. Bakugou should stay an angry prick, just maybe verbally rather than physically.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou remains rad as all hell.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

loving Mineta. Dude has a goal and a plan to get there.

That's also an... uhhh... interesting take on what Americans look like.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the main question for the tournament is who Bakugou is going to lose to, because we're absolutely still in the "Bakugou gets all his dumb bullshit beaten out of him" part of his character development. I'd like to see it be Iida or Yaoyorozu, personally. Todoroki is also possible, but that seems a little too obvious, and I think it'd be a waste to have him up against Deku again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Avulsion posted:

How about Kirishima, the Invulnerable dude who's the closest thing he has to a friend?

Also possible, I just forgot about him. I don't think he'd work as well since he's as immature as Bakugou is. But then maybe that would mean he'd be more effective at calling him out. Man, Bakugou is such an interesting character, and I really look forward to seeing how he develops. I guess I'm starting to see why Vegetas are always popular.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Frog-ism also leads to poor posture.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain McStabbin posted:

I'd like to note that everyone in that shot looks built as gently caress, like a bunch of people who are actually training to be superheroes.

Especially Tooru.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wasn't expecting Deku and Todoroki in the same bracket. Uraraka against Bakugou should be good, and much as I want navel laser to win, I think I'd rather see Yaoyorozu take the whole thing. Either she or Bakugou seem most likely to take that half.

I will probably be entirely wrong and the winner will be thorn hair or ant girl, though! Should be fun regardless.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

pandaK posted:

He creates the ice half specifically for his superhero outfit.

Speaking of costumes, I hope at some point we get more of the notes that the kids wrote for their costume design in one of the bonus sections. Not sure any would top Bakugou's KILL WITH MY KNEES, though. Maybe invisible girl's would.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

All Shinsou needs to become truly unbeatable, is for Present Mic to become his personal mentor and teach him how to come up with sick nasty burns that no one can resist responding to.

But the sick nastiest burns are the ones to which there is no response, because the target simply knows they have been Owned.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Another good chapter. The secondary fights got enough to characterize them but moved quickly, and they generally played out in logical ways. Kirishima vs. Tetsutetsu was implemented really well, I think. Bakugou against Uraraka is tough to call. Bakugou has basically every advantage, and the previous fights have been in line with that pretty strongly influencing the outcome, but I wouldn't put it past the author to have Uraraka figure out some way to win by taking advantage of Bakugou's hotheadedness.

Also Iida and Hatsume need to be a team.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, making him float probably would only give a page or two of looking like Uraraka wins. It's been consistently shown that Bakugou is a pretty talented and smart fighter, so that likely wouldn't trip him up for long. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I wonder if part of it will be that it's his sweat that is explosive rather than just making explosions from nothing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 22, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of surprised he had Yaoyorozu lose so early on.

Even putting aside that the guy she was fighting is really strong in one on one fights, it makes sense that she'd not be that great in a straight up fight. As completely ridiculous as the ability to make nearly anything is, she's still basically just a normal person in a fight. She needs Deku's notebook.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

drat, what a good chapter. Somehow it managed to feel twice as long and packed as it actually was, which is funny to compare to something like Bleach, which feels 1/10 as long as it actually is and completely empty. Uraraka gets to be a badass, Bakugou gets to continue to be overwhelmingly powerful, and both characters are given great and consistent characterization, particularly with Aizawa basically praising both.

This series is good, y'all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

I can't remember if Uraraka's specific background has been brought up before, but I wonder if like, her parents are simple farmers or whatever. The series has made no secret of its influences from golden and silver age comics, so it wouldn't surprise to see some Ma and Pa Kent types turn up.

They have a small construction company. It was mentioned around the start of this arc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man, this chapter just further cemented Bakugou as the best character in the series. He's a total rear end in a top hat but is also completely fair, and he's slowly getting that arrogance beaten out of him while dealing with it terribly. Dude is great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Never stop being the best character, Bakugou.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If Deku loses then Todoroki vs. (probably) Iida would more likely be about personal growth for Iida and holy christ you guys are way too invested in this silly argument. Deku winning would be a cliche, and so would Deku losing. Either way it'll be fun so just strap in for the ride.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Todoroki looks terrifying in that last page. Sorry Deku, but I want to see him going up against Bakugou.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whoever is making those captures the art style really well.

Also Uraraka would totally be blazin it on 4/20.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I love this thing they have with Uraraka and Bakugou loving hating each other.

Nah they're just frenemies. I'd be delighted with Uraraka becoming his more or less official rival, though. Deku doesn't need to be everyone's rival.

I hope the current fight ends next chapter so that we can get back to more Bakugou.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The faces in this manga are great, and Tsuyu tongue smacking Mineta for being an idiot never gets old.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Speaking of rubbing salt in...

Aggressively self-destructive strategies lead to loss? Anybody reasonable could have seen that coming.

"Shipping" on its most basic level is something everyone does, even with highschool characters.

Sometimes I feel like people online who call out poo poo for being creepy don't actually interact with people in the real world.

Note: Everything is creepy to goons.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kyte posted:

Speaking of Navelgun, I don't think if anybody mentioned it here but the first translation of his power was wrong. If he overuses his laser his stomach won't collapse, he just gets an acute case of the runs.

Yup. :haw:

That definitely matches his facial expression when he overuses it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou ain't gonna job out. Hey may lose by being a hotheaded dumbass (though that's unlikely given that he's routinely been shown to be a really smart fighter), but he's not going to go out like a Bleach character.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Allarion posted:

Hero slayer has a pretty rad design.

He would be voiced by Steve Blum.

Also god drat Bakugou rules.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Kinda hoping Todoroki goes back to sticking with ice for this fight. It'd be a good, subtle way to indicate he doesn't consider Bakugou to be on the same level as Deku.

If he does I hope he gets owned. You guys aren't giving enough Bakugou enough credit. His quirk is nearly as strong, he's great at using it, and he's a super smart fighter. I want to see him win it and then get royally pissed when Deku isn't cowed by it at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I hope Bakugou wins because Bakugou is the best character and should always be the best at everything. Whenever Bakugou isn't in a panel, other characters should be asking "Where's Bakugou?"

This unironically.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou is not a good person, but he is a compelling character for a variety of reasons. These two things are not mutually exclusive. Thank you.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

I like the parts where Bakugou calls people fuckers and blows them up.

I do as well, friend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Terper posted:

I'd also like to see more of Fumikage, but I'm hoping we'll get some focus on the rest of the class now, now that I can remember his name. Like Ashido, she seems cool, but I had to look up her name because I didn't remember it.

Ashido has some pretty bad fashion sense, though. That purple and teal animal print bodysuit is dreadful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

tsob posted:

One Piece had a good one too, as did Naruto I suppose. I actually like time skips though personally, since I love seeing character's grow up, change and so on. Especially so if we get to see the cast moving on and new characters introduced. It's why StrikerS is my favorite season of Nanoha. I wish more things did time skips, not less like most people seem to.

I think most people dislike time skips because they're almost always poorly executed, and the few times they aren't they're basically just a new series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bakugou will use that drive to become the de facto successor to All Might and the world's greatest hero and he will still be pissed off about that time Deku saved him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like to think that's just how he brushes his teeth every time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Alien Queen is perfect for acid girl, and it gets my approval. Pinky does not.

Really all the names are good, though. Also Midnight is fun.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 6, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like to believe her original costume request was a xenomorph-based costume.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Poor Mt. Lady has no idea what she's in for. Also I didn't realize birdman was that short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it's amazingly refreshing to finally read a manga where the girls don't seem to be made out of dough and plastic.

Yeah, even Midnight, who is basically the designated fanservice character, has a reasonably normal waist for a pretty athletic person.