Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

My Hero Academia is a weekly manga published in Shounen Jump and made by Horikoshi Kouhei, who previously made Oumagadoki Zoo. It is the story of Izuku "Deku" Midoriya and his efforts to become a professional Hero. My Hero Academia takes place in an alternate reality Earth where people started developing super powers fairly recently, and many people have begun using those powers for villainous purposes! So of course the government started paying people with other powers to stop those villainous people. These powers are called "Quirks," and about 80% of all of humanity has a Quirk these days. They have become extremely common.

Izuku desperately wants to be a great hero, but he is Quirk-less. He has no power to speak of! But that won't stop him from trying to become a hero anyway. When his path crosses with All Might, the greatest hero of all time, he learns a great secret - and this secret is his ticket to success.

The series reads like if you took the first arc of Naruto and blended it with One Punch Man, and threw the result into the Tiger & Bunny Universe. It has had an extremely strong start, and it looks very good from where I'm sitting.

CHARACTERS

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya
Nicknamed "Deku" because he's a tiny little scrub with green bushy hair. He is way too heroic for his own good, and dives into trouble without a second thought. But at the same time, he's spent all his life Quirk-less and bullied, and he is extremely reluctant to put himself out there unless something's on the line.

All Might
The greatest hero who ever lived, the number one strongest and most unstoppable man in the world, All Might's exact powers are a total secret. All anyone can tell about his power is that it is completely absurd. He hides a secret that no one can ever be allowed to know, and Izuku finds out about it. This character is the source of all One Punch Man vibes in this series, for any readers coming from that.

Bakugou Katsuki
A childhood friend of Izuku, Katsuki has an extremely powerful Quirk - the ability to create explosions. His power has gone to his head, and he wants more than anything to use it as often as possible. He's resolved to become a professional hero so he can do exactly that. He used to be friends with Izuku, but ever since developing his power, he's seen Izuku as nothing more than a pebble on his path to glory.

Uraraka Uchako
Nicknamed "Infinity Girl," Urarako has the power to make things weightless. She is a very kind and earnest girl, and Deku's first real friend. Chances are extremely high that she is just as lame as he is.

Aizawa Shouta
The teacher for Hero Academy's Class A. He is also known as "Eraserhead," because he has the power to take away people's Quirks. He is infamous for having an extremely high expulsion rate among his students.

RECEPTION

This series has been running for only three months as of this posting, but apparently it's been in Shounen Jump's top 5 consistently for the past month now, running toe to toe with the likes of One Piece and Assassination Classroom. This series has a strong potential to fill in the gap left by Naruto as the next Big Shounen Jump Series. This is worth keeping an eye on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the girl that's basically Toad from X-Men.

I also like that this series is pretty much the movie Sky High. Which is okay because that movie ruled.

Not gonna lie, frog girl has by far my favorite design. I really hope we get an entire chapter dedicated just to her at some point.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Roland Jones posted:

I like Iida, he's the "smart guy" but he can also be kind of obtuse and miss obvious things and such; rather than the usual insufferable know-it-all, he comes off a bit more real. I know people like that.

The thing I really like about Iida is the one step beyond that - I have a feeling he's the smart guy BECAUSE he is constantly asking questions. Whenever he doesn't understand something, he asks questions about it! And he accepts whatever answer you may give him, nods along, and then keeps asking questions if he is still confused. Sometimes he is asking questions about things that are super obvious, sure, but I really like that he'll ask those questions anyway. He is the Smart Guy BECAUSE he keeps questioning everything and everyone around him, and that's a nice touch. It's way better than the know it all approach, for sure.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Batoto's the only one I've seen with the good translation for chapter 1, yeah. Everywhere else is fine to stick with the old awful one.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So to be more accurate, this is a series where superpowers are gained by NOT having a tiny bone in your toe.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/285569/boku-no-hero-academia_ch9_by_fallen-angels New chapter is out!

EDIT: I love that kacchan's "sympathetic backstory" is that he has always been an rear end in a top hat and no one has ever stopped him from being an rear end in a top hat, so now he's super pissed because someone is standing up to him. He is so extremely villainous it is ridiculous.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 17, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Radish posted:

Does this typically get released on some sort of schedule? It's pretty fun and adding in for more Frog girl although a lot of the background character designs are good.

The series is about 10 chapters ahead of the scans, so our current schedule is "when the scanlators finish a chapter". The manga itself is weekly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am glad that Ochako is the one who saved the day and won the test for their team. I really hope she doesn't get stuck being The Chick because she is cool as hell and I want to see her keep being cool.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Xoidanor posted:

So if he were to talk into sauna or something he would just explode on the spot? :v:

Probably! But he seems super resistant to his own explosions, so I expect that'd be more a problem for the sauna than for him.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
It's entirely because of her character design. I can't stand Toad, he's completely awful and I don't think X-Men ever did anything interesting with his powerset. Asui, on the other hand, is super cute, and the author keeps putting cool art of her on his twitter:

So I'm expecting her to do cool things, because look at that. Look at that!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/286284/boku-no-hero-academia_ch11_by_fallen-angels another new chapter just dropped!

EDIT: Hand man's design is INCREDIBLE. This next arc looks like it's gonna be something else.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 20, 2014

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/286698/boku-no-hero-academia_ch13_by_fallen-angels And a link to the new chapter, for anyone who follows this thread for those.

That full page spread was the stuff of nightmares.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JosephWongKS posted:

Asui has captured my heart already with just a couple of speaking lines in this chapter.

I am reading all of her lines in the voice of the band geek girl from Kill La Kill and it is perfect.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Fabricated posted:

Creepy hand guy's entrance was pretty cool. Also you would think more heroes would be on call for something like this?

All Might was supposed to be there, so I expect they weren't worried about anything like this happening. With two strong teachers teaming up with the strongest hero of all time, what would there have been to worry about?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Tsuyu is the best and continues to be the best in this most recent chapter.

Tunahead posted:

Maybe whoever is behind these shenanigans knows about All For One and is trying to get their hands on it.

Their many, many hands.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
So his power is knock-off web shooters then? Ultimate Spiderman style, "it is melted tape" web shooters, except with actual tape.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
His hair seems pretty loose and all over the place. He probably needs to keep it swept back by continuously moving. His hair gets in his eyes whenever he stops moving, because that's how it likes to rest.

So Hands McGee is just watching for when his line of sight's broken and using that moment to hit him with his quirk.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Waffleman_ posted:

I loving shouted NO NO NO for like three pages when Hands was about to grab Tsuyu

Me too. Eraserhead is such a cool guy~

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The latest chapter on batoto is chapter 20, if you speak spanish. The English translations are 3 chapters behind. I don't know how far ahead the Japanese chapters are but it's gotta be at least at chapter 21 by now.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chapter 18! http://bato.to/read/_/290022/boku-no-hero-academia_ch18_by_fallen-angels/3

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Allarion posted:

To be fair to Mx0 though, it was basically competing with Jump's all-star lineup for those years, with your usual big names One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Toriko, but also Eyeshield 21, Neuro, Psyren, Reborn, the return of Hunter x Hunter again, D.Gray-Man, Gintama, Prince of Tennis, To-Love-Ru, and Sket Dance. It only stands to reason it was never able to maintain a stable high ranking when it was competing against those big hitters. Though why nobody bought it, I have no idea.

What I'm curious about is what happened to Double Arts, which actually started off strong before it dropped off in popularity within months. I assume it just couldn't sell volumes, but it's just interesting how it just gradually drops down the rankings till it just ends.

My Hero Academia is ranking and selling well though, so it has a pretty strong lifeline for the time being, especially in the vacuum left by Naruto ending.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of MHA's success is because it is filling the hole left by Naruto ending - it's a new series with cool superpowered people learning how to be heroes and do missions as teams, with great writing and art and a setting that oozes style, just like early Naruto was.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Haha Yes.
Thats what it reminded me of.

"All for one, son."

But thats kind of weird, before he was built super muscular but still cut a lean figure.
In that panel he looked more like a concrete wall.

I guess that's just what 110% looks like.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
http://bato.to/read/_/291575/boku-no-hero-academia_ch21_by_fallen-angels/3 New chapter up! I am surprised none of the students got injured at all. I was sort of expecting one of them to have a war wound to show off/tell a story about.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alder posted:

I liked T&B and still sad they never got sequel for the anime. However does this feature long-winded battles which may or may not take up multiple chapters at a time? Because I don't have time for that :v:

No, quite the contrary. The pacing on this manga is break-neck speed. My Hero Academia is not going to waste your time in the slightest. We're on chapter 22 and three story arcs have wrapped up already - getting into school, a showdown/backstory moment between the protagonist and his bully, and the school being invaded by an organized group of villains. It definitely isn't a string of special attacks over and over, because special attacks aren't even really a thing except for one or two people with powerful, limited use quirks.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of costumes, I wonder if Invisigirl has one, and whether she even bothered writing to the costume manufacturing company to request a costume.

I imagine she'd love having transparent clothing, so she could run around without being naked all the time.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've been thinking about it some more, and I've realized something. The points aren't really for determining who wins this - they're for determining who doesn't lose, and that's a big difference. This sports day thing is an elimination competition where you need enough points to advance to the next round.

Maybe your team needs to get 500 points between all of them to get to the next round, or something like that. Any team with less points is eliminated. So the 10 million is just a super exaggerated number to guarantee that the winner of this round will go all the way to the end, and every round will probably do the same by giving super-points to whoever wins that. The final point total probably doesn't mean a drat thing, it's just to ensure you can't be eliminated before you get to whatever the final event is, which is probably the only thing that will matter for "winning" purposes.

That would avoid the gameshow host dilemma nicely, since unlike a gameshow, not everyone here is going to move on, and your stupid huge point pool would just be your ticket through all the competitions, rather than a guaranteed victory.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

Did they reveal the power of the Class B dude who went around stealing from a bunch of people?

I don't think they've mentioned it, no. I have no idea what he's doing, the comic isn't really showing how he's stealing everyone's headbands. I have no idea how he got Mineta's, the dude is inside a living fortress with Tsuyu personally guarding him. They should've been as safe as you can get in this contest.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I wouldn't mind if both of those fights were handled in a couple pages, yeah, but I really hope they each get at least a couple pages. Ashido is cool as hell and so are Tokoyama and Shiozaki, so I want to see them in action some more.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I feel like the only thing we actually missed was watching Ashido actually hit navel laser with her acid. We got to see her shoryuken and her dodging and charging the acid splash, though, so close enough.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

kinmik posted:

Well, anyway...

Where can I read a decent scanlation of chapter 1? Because

????
???????

Batoto seems to be the only site that changed to a good translation for chapter 1. Every other site has kept the awful one that came out first.

http://bato.to/read/_/302170/boku-no-hero-academia_ch1--v2-_by_fallen-angels/3

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

kidcoelacanth posted:

Didn't get to see Ashido's fight :mad:

Yeah, I'm real mad we didn't get to see it or even hear about it. I also wanted to see Iida's fight with thorngirl but at least we got a summary of that - no word at all on how Tokoyama beat disco ant girl is just a crime.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I bet he did great in the foot race too, because that event was done entirely in pairs. If he used an orb to cling to a faster student, he'd get a good time too.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Midnight was pretty spot on with knocking out bad hero names, but man, did she mess up when she said Alien Queen was not a good name to use.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Chapter link.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Shugojin posted:

Seems like Stain just wants people to mean whatever it is they do, hero or villain. He doesn't seem like he'd have an issue with heroes who actually just want to protect people, but heroes who do it just for a career piss him off.

The question is, where Saitama's "it's a hobby" stance fits in his worldview? :v:

Stain would absolutely try to kill Saitama over such a half-assed attitude. It wouldn't work, mind, but he'd try.

But that's a different series with a very different tone to its writing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RatHat posted:

Telescopic vision I think? It was something that wasn't useful for fighting.

Mei's quirk is telescopic vision, yes, which works for both long-distance viewing and microscopic viewing, the latter of which is far more important in her work.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Just go watch Tiger & Bunny and also read One Punch Man, they're both incredible.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

It seems like Stain's ability is effectively the same as having knives/swords that automatically win against the opponent if they so much as graze them (plus him also maybe having the option of flicking his own blood on them without cutting then maybe?). That ability (particularly if the part in parenthesis is true) seems extremely powerful. If the part in parenthesis is true, he could conceivably defeat even All Might (though it seems like he wouldn't want to in the first place).

One thing I wonder is if One for All would potentially allow Midoriya to resist the paralysis in the same way he resisted the mind control during the tournament.

If it is just "contact with blood = paralysis", then Stain's quirk has a hilariously brutal downside - he can never receive surgical treatment in any way, ever.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gyges posted:

They don't wear gloves and other barrier items to prevent germ transfer in surgery?

It seems to be stunning everyone right through their clothing so I'm not sure protective clothing helps against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bad Seafood posted:

My guess is one of two things will happen:
  1. Iida is reprimanded and expelled, turning him towards vigilantism.
  2. Iida feels cheated of his chance at revenge and comes to blame Deku and Todoroki.
A distant third would be Iida being injured in such a way that his superhero career is put on hold indefinitely.

I really feel like it's gonna be No. 2 there, due to some weird paneling on the last two pages. I am not entirely sure who had the thought bubble that said "I'm gonna kill you!" but judging by how the three panels before it are all Iida dwelling on things people have said during the fight, I'm wondering if that was also Iida. Stain wouldn't have thought that (he's too busy being impressed with these proper hero types showing up who he doesn't want to kill), Deku wouldn't have thought that, Todoroki wouldn't have thought that, Nameless Hero Victim wouldn't have thought that. I'm left thinking that Iida is so resentful of being saved and failing his mission that he actively wants to kill Stain and/or his friends over getting in his way.

vvvv See, that makes more sense, but that panel didn't look like a flashback like the rest so I was confused about it.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 1, 2015