Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Then there's Noumu who looks like the Maxx.

Digging this series a lot more than I anticipated. Walks a thin line between cliche and comfort food, but the cast is so likable (sans Bakugou) that I don't really mind.

Little disappointed invisible girl didn't get the drop on that last mook, though. Seems like it would've been a natural move for her in an arc where most of the students got a chance to show off their powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not to mention Aizawa, No. 13 are known entities with publicized powers and track records, verses a handful of "Terrified" kids just getting their feet wet. I doubt too many of Shigaraki's goons warped in there thinking of them as anything more than potential hostages. Too bad Todoroki's not the kinda guy you want to underestimate.

Get better Aizawa. :ohdear:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Standard police operating procedure is pretty clunky in light of dudes who can teleport and turn people into stone. Heroes are basically civilian contractors entrusted with the authority to make snap calls in do-or-die situations, but probably undergo a lot of scrutiny to reach that level. Presumably there's still a lot of by-the-book crime that doesn't necessitate the enlistment of heroes.

Whatever the case, the hero academy at least seems pretty respectful of the police force, so any resentment between the two would probably be due to policemen who wanted to be heroes but didn't make the cut.

Here's a Superman panel to round off my point.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Got a feeling they don't call in guys like All Might to solve a whodunit either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

What I don't understand is how, in a world with "normals" and superpowered people, it wouldn't naturally lead to a situation where superpowered people run all of the power structures of society -- police, government, big corporations and all.
It can, and sometimes does - Fist of the North Star pretty much makes being supernaturally proficient at kung fu a prerequisite to leading any serious faction of humanity - but in most "modern" settings the implication is generally that there are at least enough goody two-shoes among power-havers to maintain the status quo (as opposed to supervillains who might be more inclined to say, "Yeah, why don't we run everything?").

Could be a lot of things, though. Just because you have mind control doesn't mean you're good at administration, or even want to. Maybe the guy who stops time is satisfied being a marine biologist in his off-hours.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FH_Meta posted:

Well, unless you do something explosively memorable, then you get a buncha different nicknames and not a few.
I actually find Todoroki pretty intriguing, if mostly by implication. Kid's the obvious one to watch out for, effortlessly outclassing pretty much everyone, yet for all his prowess comes off awfully subdued, taciturn. Not that unusual in and of itself, but in light of certain comments he's made (his "Casual" knowledge of necrosis, his concern for classmates caught in his range), I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's got some real horror stories behind that quirk of his. When he was younger maybe, when his powers were still developing.

Probably holds a low opinion of Bakugou's impulsiveness, if not Bakugou in general.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dry Ice smokes the competition.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Now it's just a competition to see who can come up for the silliest nickname for someone both hot and cold.
Tsunderoki.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, I have a feeling that Deku is going to have to use his powers next round. Pretty eager to see who is going to group up with him. His buds or maybe some surprise team-up?
Who would even want to be on his team with a ten million point bounty on his head? Everyone would be gunning for you, and you'd be ineligible to claim it for yourself.

There's a lot of ways it could go, but the author's been pretty good about giving each student a chance to shine so long as they're in Deku's company, so my bet is he'll wind up paired off with someone he hasn't worked with previously. Probably some of the low-ballers.

Interesting though that the next round's uniquely suited to Grape Juice's powers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually dig Nuclear Winter's low-effort outfit. Everyone else's putting their heart and soul into their costumes an he's like, eh, guess I'll dress up a bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

The only character introduced so far that I don't like is Minoru, the grape kid. So far he's A) Cowardly without the redeeming heroic impulses Izuku has, B) A weird gross kid who's way too grabby, and C) Kind of got a useless quirk unless paired with someone else or used in a clever/creative fashion, the latter of which he hasn't shown to be super capable of thus far.
So basically he's Hol Horse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

If Hol Horse was a lame dorky teen, I guess yeah. The other big difference is Hol Horse is funny and entertaining.
I said basically, not exactly; though you're kidding yourself if you don't think Hol Horse is spectacularly lame (which is what's great about him anyway).

Also, different dynamics. Hol Horse was never anybody we were supposed to root for, so once you've grown used to his villainous nature his more endearing traits stick out more. But Grape Juice is with us, one of the good guys, so the ways in which he falls short of his peers is more sharply delineated.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Liking this trend of revolving door partnerships. Do your best Hawkboy, Gadget Girl.

Also impressed Iida can turn rival without being a dick about it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Protodude posted:

I downloaded the newest english WSJ issue today, there's an announcement at the end saying they'll have the first chapter next week as an intro, then after that they'll publish chapters simultaneously with the Japanese release.
That sure is cutting out a lot of quality content for the sake to keeping up. I know VIZ Media takes a more lenient attitude towards unofficial translations than some, but this seems like an oddly open invitation to fill in the blanks on your own so to speak.

Does this mean it's been licensed for print publication?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I figured as much, I'm just wondering about genuine newcomers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.
It's possible the points aren't cumulative but just for this event.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hoping a defeat at this juncture is finally what it takes to shake Bakugou out of being an unapologetic rear end all the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

Why would you ever want that? Bakugou is the best BECAUSE he's an unapologetic rear end all the time.
Maybe if he'd earned it, or had some other endearing qualities. As is, he's a spoiled brat who won the superpower lottery and uses his special position in society to belittle everyone beneath him while despising anyone better than him.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

He always seemed to be well on the path to be a super villain instead of a hero. Given the setting, picking on someone with no quirk would be like someone in our world flipping over people in wheelchairs and mocking them for not being able to walk.
Don't forget, should any of them have the audacity to learn to walk, it's up to him to cripple them again. Those third-class schmucks need to know their place.

Yeah, nah, maybe I'll come around to the guy once he demonstrates the capacity to be anything other than a Grade A dickweed.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh yeah, I'm not saying he's gotta pull a 180 or anything, but some volume control would be nice, maybe a few extra channels.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I would just like to say that I appreciated Bakugou's contribution to this chapter more than I expected.

Also, Todoroki.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Todoroki is remarkably well-adjusted considering everything he has to put up with at home.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Wonder if they'll institute any kind of handicap, assuming stuff like Todoroki's ability to simply freeze people in place is common knowledge. Depending on the match-ups, some fights may not last more than a couple seconds. Todoroki already stomped the martail artist kid once if it ever comes down to them, though I wouldn't mind learning since they've faced off before that the latter devised some kind of counter-strategy.

Too bad they couldn't end on a filled-out bracket to give us a better sense of who's facing who. Deku's pretty much doomed to have to go up against one of his former teammates though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Hell, his goal is technically to become #1 with only half his power.
Calling it now, he'll have the revelation his father's powers don't define him and go whole hog on some top tier bad guy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

red plastic cup posted:

tail guy and that one nervous class B guy with the huge eyes drop out.
Boooo, hissss, refund.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hoping they pull a Hunter x Hunter and have Deku lose.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Well, that's not quite how that went in HxH's tournament; Gon got clowned, sure, but he still "won". Or are you talking about the stuff in Heaven's Tower? That isn't quite the same either, really.
I didn't have any particular instance in mind, though there are several I could name. I was referring more in general to Hunter x Hunter's willingness to allow its protagonists to "Fail," and in failing grow as characters - something I think a lot of other shounen titles could learn from.

Deku failing has more interesting ramifications than if he wins.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

tsob posted:

I fail to see how personally. He already has, as the series points out multiple times, a good personality for a hero and is a source of inspiration for others already because of it. Failure here would only lead to him beating himself up for a while because he failed All Might, and then resolving to be a better fighter or pushing himself to gain better control of his powers afterwards, without any real change in his personality more than likely. He hasn't nearly as much to gain by losing as Todoroki or Bakugou for instance, since both of them have obvious personality deficiencies that are holding them back. Deku's growth is unlikely to be in his personality, outside of having more self-confidence.
Deku's a good kid, but he's been hanging on by the skin of his teeth. His best stuff's all improvised, which speaks well for his resourcefulness, but most of the time ends up just barely adequate. Eraserhead nearly expelled him the first day of school. Even the sports festival obstacle race he won by a nose. If Deku's strength is his adaptability, his weakness is consistent performance.

To fail here would be a good wake-up call, and certainly more believable than a kid with two, maybe three months experience besting life-long practitioners in sanctioned combat. It'd provide a good opportunity for him to reevaluate how he's been doing things. Better now than later with his life on the line.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There are a lot of ways failure can be internalized into a personal lesson, man, I'm just trying to give an example. We expect him to win because he's the protagonist, even with the odds stacked heavily against him. I'm just saying failure is an option and potentially a constructive one; one I wouldn't mind seeing.

Even the classic "It's okay to fail, everyone fails" would be at home here.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 28, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ojiro's speech doesn't make much sense to me in this version, though the progression of the chapter helps fill in the gaps.

Soylentbits posted:

He's not going to fail because he was mind controlled because that's a super boring way to lose.
I'd agree, though his temporary lapse in judgement kinda illustrates what I've been talking about all along.

Whatever happens though, I'd rather the tournament not get interrupted; especially not right after the Space Jam arc.

tsob posted:

There's really no need to have him lose, and people seem to want him to lose simply because it's different, not because it'd be good while holding the manga up as some kind of paragon of unexpected elements. It really isn't. The manga has played plenty of it's elements straight. It's good not because it surprises the reader constantly (it does this plenty in minor elements, not so much the overarching beats) but because it's well executed. And while Deku will probably win this if it plays out, it'll more than likely play out well regardless of what it does. One Piece has had Luffy lose only really once in the manga so far, and it took a long time and a lot of build up to happen - yet Luffy is still one of the most enjoyable parts of an overall really enjoyable story.
I don't think Deku losing would be particularly subversive - if anything, this tournament seems custom built to cushion such a loss - but there are thematic benefits to introducing the possibility. Lends itself to a tighter sense of tension as well.

Certain things are expected in a story like this. Right from the get-go, we know the hero's gonna come out on top. No matter what twists or turns the plot may take, no matter the odds, we are 99.99% assured things will go our protagonist's way, even if they sometimes take their time getting there. Spoiler: Deku takes All Might's place and becomes a truly spectacular hero in his own right. This is all but guaranteed to be the natural outcome of things. Which is great, because I dig these kinds of stories. Wouldn't be reading them if I didn't.

At the same time, however, this sort of thing necessitates what amounts to a string of continuous victories. The question is seldom "Can we win?" but rather "How will we win?" If the writer manages to provide a satisfying response, we accept yet another of the protagonist's many victories. If they don't, we don't, except by author fiat or some other plot device.

Deku's made a lot of progress. He's still nervous and uncertain and prone to emotional outbursts, but he's got a hero's heart and the ability to think on his feet. He knows he can't just rely on his quirk, and to his credit he looks for ways around using it. All the same, he isn't yet at a level where I could really believe he'd beat mind-control kid, Todoroki, Iida, and Bakugou in the same arc; not without stretching suspension of disbelief to the breaking point, and certainly not right after the most recent chapter had him walk right into a trap he should've known was there all along. And if he wins, he wins. Maybe he'll win with style just to shut me up. Maybe he'll win because he's the protagonist. Maybe the tournament gets interrupted and we're left without an answers (though this would be the least satisfying turn of events). Or maybe, since this isn't a life-or-death, make it or break it situation, he can actually afford to lose and learn something from it.

If you don't want to take anything else from me, at least take this: by entertaining the very real possibility of Deku losing, you make his actual victories more meaningful; doubly so should Kohei execute them well. Even if all my walls of text amount to ziltch, at the end of the day I'll feel more invested in the outcome knowing Deku's triumph isn't a given just because the whole story happens to be about him.

Also fitting you should mention One Piece, since the one time Luffy faced the real danger of failing is the only time I've ever been invested in the fights (though I still find One Piece pretty enjoyable despite this shortcoming).

TL;DR I take dumb fighting comics from foreign countries too seriously :words: what is my problem.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually forgot all about that.

On a slightly less autismal tangent, since a couple people here have remarked on Todoroki's fairly "Generic" design, somebody pointed out to me it might be another way of rebelling against his overly-flashy dad which I am pretty okay with.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I want to know if Endeavor gets doused does he emerge clean-shaven.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Madtrixr posted:

I guess it MIGHT be interesting for Deku to lose but you gotta admit he's at least got to beat mind-control dickhead because man gently caress that dude.
I am totally for mind-control dude getting royally whupped by Deku.

Also hoping the other fights get some decent attention, rather than summation panels. Momo vs. Fumikage in particular would be very interesting to see played out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something I really like about the juxtaposition of these two panels but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also Ojiro's new speech makes a lot more sense and cements his status as a pretty cool guy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not sure how I feel about the reveal, but I'll withhold judgment for later since this is clearly only the tip of the iceberg.

I feel like the bigger issue here is Deku giving in to such a taunt in the first place after specifically being warned by Ojiro not to. I know "Don't insult my friends/people's principles" is part and parcel of this kind of set up, but Deku's demonstrated enough situational awareness that it feels odd for him to walk into that trap.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Which I'd be cool with under slightly different circumstances.

EDIT: vvv Fair enough.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 9, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah, they definitely tidied-up the One For All bit. Comes off as less of a deus ex machina now since Deku actually saves himself, One For All just stalls him long enough to realize what he has to do.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

RatHat posted:

You mean the translation on batoto? Because that definitely reads like One-For-All saved him.
WSJ, sorry.

The way I read it, felt like One For All just brought him to a halt; Deku snapped himself out of it by breaking his own fingers. The original came across like One For All assumed direct control and took care of everything.

Still kind of a saving throw, but a more marginal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Huh, Fumikage actually won. Neat.

Ochako vs. Bakugou's anyone's game from a narrative perspective. Place your bets.