Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I imagine this has been said before, but how does escalation work after this? Shigaraki just nuking cities by thinking about them? Kinda jumped the gun considering it's still their first year of high school.

Everyone gets PTSD and now they have to take finals. How very American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know it's probably to avoid plot holes, but Izuku going through all these insane near-death experiences would have probably elicited some response by his father. Maybe I underestimate the diligence of the Japanese salaryman. I do like to think this is the point where mama Midoryia puts her foot down and tries to pull him entirely, and he's forced to tell her about One for All and how he doesn't have a choice at this point. Alternatively they don't talk about her for 50 chapters like after the Shie Hassaikai arc.

That said it's a little sad, unless the author never thought about it, that when Midoryia got his provisional license he texted a picture to All-Might and his mom rather than his father.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I am kinda curious why they showed poor uncomfortably powering up Eri right before everything went to poo poo. Would kinda suck if they use her for a deus ex machina to fix everybody.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

I seriously want to know if Japan has a military or a JDF or something in this setting. Gigantomachia and Shigaraki's actions are, at this point, ludicrously far beyond "criminals to be dealt with by a law enforcement organization" and are into "physical existential threat to the integrity of a country" territory, especially given that almost all of the most prominent and powerful members of said law enforcement organization are either horribly mangled or simply dead.

I imagine, unless I'm seriously wrong, that the author is never going to address anything beyond there being a police force and associated heroes. Like at this point rationally you'd start calling for international aid, heroes or military. I imagine they're never going to go route of The Boys and talk about a military with superpowered people in it though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I assume it's because Eri's quirk is building up and needs to discharge as the plot demands. That said no idea how she learns to control it so fast considering I don't think she's had any training so far, and Aizawa is busy atm being mauled and maimed.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm not really sure why he's back NOW, though. I mean, sure, that's great for Mirio and everything, but it just seems a bit too soon? I mean, he lost his Quirk the last time he was relevant and we haven't really seen him since then aside from the festival. Now he just has his power back and I'm wondering what the point of even taking it away in the first place was. To just let Deku fight Overhaul? To make a connection with Eri?

If I had to guess a comparatively cliched ending for this series, it's one of two ways, either Eri reverses Shigaraki to a child without any of the memories of what he did before his quirk manifested, or because "quirks grow exponentially stronger blah blah" it goes full ANIME and she reverses the world into a quirkless state while becoming god or something. I don't think the latter will happen, but always gotta look for the Evangelion swerve.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Serious question, because this has been ongoing for a while and I might have forgotten some details: did the Quirk Bullets actually do anything aside from cost Aizawa a leg? Because it seems like Amajiki and Mirio both lost their Quirks for a little while, then got them back, and the rest were just melted and destroyed before they were used to any effect. Does Shigaraki still have more?

The one that hit Amajiki wasn't a perfected version, it only had temporary effects. And because it's "quirk genes" that give the superpowers Aizawa figured cutting off his leg before it spread to the rest of his body would stop it. I think that was the last bullet, Shigaraki laments at all the doctors hard work going to waste. I'm guessing losing your quirk isn't going to be a big plot device going forward. Alternatively they somehow spring the doctor loose too and go to the secret volcano lair.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm really starting to worry about what Deku's mental state will be like after this battle. He's destroyed his body and is beating himself up about how he hasn't actually saved anyone yet, meanwhile the guy Nighteye kept saying should have gotten One For All just showed up to save the day.

I imagine that hopefully Mirio gives him a similar pep talk that Nighteye gave Mirio, how he held the line until the cavalry arrived. I mean, everyone would be dead if Midoriya hadn't gone ham and gotten new plot powers. Part of me wonders if the next arc will be Midoriya and Shigaraki severely hosed up and recovering (mentally AND physically in Midoryia's case) in order to pad out the time and give other characters a chance in the limelight.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I like the (rather heavy handed) mirroring of Midoriya and Shigaraki's perceived inadequacies. "I haven't destroyed anything!" says the man who wiped out a third of a city. "I haven't saved anyone!" says the boy largely responsible for holding back the latter from more destruction. A question of mindset, as always with shonen protagonists I guess.

I realize there's 8 billion characters in this series that don't get any screentime to begin with, but I hope with the mass death of Japanese heroes we see more from the other schools that showed up in the provisional testing arc, uncomfortable parallels with conscripting child soldiers notwithstanding. Wind dude and hair guy are my particular favorites. That and I'll beat the tired drum that I really would like more fleshing out of the international scene. Seems appropriate given what's happened, but that's probably a big ask from the author.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Before I started paying attention to this series I thought All Might was actually a villain. The silhouetted eyes, rob liefield body and constant manic grin made me think he was some dark inversion of superman.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

US presidential elections have taught me to never trust polls, so I'll apply the same here. So I endorse the Cousin It looking dude from the provisional license exam.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if that was AFO's plan all along, or if he's just hijacking Shigaraki's body temporarily to prevent Shigaraki from fighting a losing battle

I hope it's the latter, if but because I enjoyed AFO's motivation in choosing a successor knowing his body was destroyed. It would an understandable difference, if a disappointing one. AFO chastises All Might for having no control over Midoriya during their fight, so I can see a sociopath like AFO not understanding the difference between legacy and control. That said it's a shonen manga not Tolstoy, so who knows if those themes are there or this is just the baddie being hijacked by Ganon because the artist likes drawing AFO's hosed up face. Surprised Dabi got away, I mean he went there wanting to die. Interesting to see if that goes anywhere.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Larryb posted:

Season 5 begins March 27th, here’s a preview:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a0prGTj4xEY

Think the whole thing is just gonna be the joint training arc? Or are they just going with the flashy bits for the trailer. For the manga, I wonder if because all the pros got splatted we'll see the bit characters from the licensing exam fill the space. Yay for the child soldier part of shonen.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know this has been repeated multiple times throughout this series, but now seems a good time to request international aid.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

At the same time it's supposed to be the future, just with a bit of a dark age associated with the initial unrest associated with the emergence of superpowers. So the idea of Hawks growing back his wings using medicine reserved for the plot isn't that unbelievable compared to everything else imo. Love the Jeanistmobile.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm glad Wash is a true hero unlike that old dude who quit when things got hard.

I like to think the author couldn't figure out what his powers should be so they had him retire instead.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Well if you care to read some spoilers apparently

quote:

Japan has been asking other countries to send heroes and rescue teams to help them, but due to the suspension of public security, the procedure for dispatching heroes has been delayed — (The double spread with this text shows a silhouette of the hero Electoplant, who we saw briefly in the Two Heroes movie when All Might was working in America).
Lol loving finally. Even if they basically do the movie thing of "My phone is dead!" in regards to the effectiveness of international aid it was getting a little ridiculous what with major cities being wiped off the map and attacked by kaijus.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Be pretty funny if after all this Izuku's dad still doesn't show up. I could see it as a reveal after his chapter(s) communing with his forebears. Or maybe a FaceTime call at least.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Izuku's dad will be one of the international heroes.

Nah he's gonna be a salaryman. I predict glasses and balding.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Given what we just learned about OFA, I can't help but feel like the eventual ending is going to be Deku giving it to All For One and it killing him immediately. That or the power overload causes him to turn into some horrible Akira monster.

"This is the story of how I became the world's greatest hero, by making a man with an eraser for a head explode."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

My guess is they were villains in the MHA sense and the others are making them sit in the corner. After all who the hell would the first pass one for all onto considering he was basically a prisoner of his brother.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kanos posted:

The only other solution I can think of, given the plot points we have right now, is Eri gains sufficient control over her powers to rewind Shigaraki into a baby or something.

I've been of the opinion that reversing Shigaraki to when he was a little boy before his powers manifested was probably how this was going to end. That being said the author does like to just introduce characters because he finds them cool and not do anything with them. I don't really mind that. I prefer a rich setting against a tight narrative, always more fun to imagine what could be than pick over what is.

It would have made it bloated but I was surprised the kids that passed the licensing exam from the other schools didn't show up in the PLF arc. Could have had the same outcome, just with more faces. Just stuck to the UA students.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I kind of wonder if the author switch gears at some point. Meaning that I initially thought that the focus of the series would be the students, i.e. Midoriya and Shigaraki, duking it out while their masters lived vicariously through them. I just wonder if the body snatching thing was something that came with or after the introduction of AFO and Shigaraki, like how early conceptions of the series were going to have Izuku quirkless until that was deemed untenable.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Man, Izuku is never going to get into a good college at this rate. Does Japan have a GED equivalent? What do Japanese plumbers make? HVAC?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

OK, how many people thinkwe're never actually going to see Midoriya's father? I'm kinda leaning towards it.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I saw some speculation that Deku might be in America based on the statue he's standing on in that last panel. Feels like a bit of a diversion given everything that's happening, but I guess he could be there so he can train his quirks without All For One breathing down his neck.

I could get behind this. Everything being poo poo all the time and then just rebuilding it without fixing anything systemic sure sounds like the US! That said I hope a plot point is that the self-sacrificing nature of Midoriya and the other One for All users is actually a bad thing. Was always more of a fan of the Justice League as a whole rather than "Superman Does Everything and These Guys are Also There" kind of plots.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

It kind of has been. Or at least it's been shown to be a double-edged sword multiple times. There's obvious nobility in being willing to risk it all to help people, but the story has made it a point to remind us that Deku every bone in his body is not only doing a lot of harm to his own health and future, but it's also hurting the people around him who care about him and have to see him like that. We also know All Might went through something like that too with Nighteye and even though it hasn't gotten a lot of explicit focus there's not much indication that All Might really has anyone or anything in his life outside of Deku and Gran Torino. So... it's good and it's bad and I think we're meant to feel two ways about it.

Well this is all true, but what I was getting at was All Might and the previous users basically trying to do everything alone. I know that's a stock shonen trope even with supporting characters, just hold the line until Goku shows up, but I hate it. The last fight was sort of a good compromise on that front, Deku and Shigaraki going at it, Gigantomachia and Best Jeanist showing up in supporting roles, Compress and Spinner with the villainous assist in the escape. I prefer ensemble works, and I'd like it if that becomes a theme as this winds down, that Izuku can't do this alone and he's wrong to try. That's just me though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ok didn't expect that giraffe neck.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Kamui Woods being a magical forest creature is fun though, what with the leaf hair.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone weirded out by Jeanist's neck needs to reread this series from the beginning

Hori sacrificed his ability to draw normal necks in order to get his hand game down.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

The statue of... Femto?

I didn't watch any of the movies but weird gargoyles sticking out of a skyscraper is more of a Batman Gotham thing than Japan imo. Could just be a shoutout of course. That and for whatever reason AfO didn't pursue All Might there, so it makes sense if he's just reduxing his mentor. If it is the US I hope it's really messed up and makes Midoriya want to totally change hero society, even if structural issues aren't really a focus of this manga. EL PROBLEMO ES EL CAPITALISMO!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I agree and hope this is a plot point! Teamwork is the name of the game! No showboating!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

You know what? Maybe we get an arc or two where Deku just isn’t around before we check in with him again. That’d be cool

AoT did this, it didn't end well...for everybody.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Japan sure fell apart quickly. Dunno if that's Horikoshi with some heavy handed critique on hero society or just him speeding towards the end of the manga asap. Also equally funny that while the cities are basically Mad Max international aid is held up because they can't process the paperwork. Lame excuse to keep everything contained to known characters imo.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Gritty 90s Image Comics Anti-Hero Deku

Yeah I was hoping Stain was the only foray into Punisher/Spawn stuff. Soon enough we'll get Ultimate Marvel with Aizawa suddenly looking like Samuel Jackson.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Aurora posted:

'fell apart quickly' = a couple months in a world where superpowers exist so it's pretty easy for this kind of poo poo to happen

Well for me it's also the fact that any hero related relief is currently stuck at the customs office. Curious if they'll actually introduce any international heroes or just stick to the main cast.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Volume 30 stuff is out and Hori clearly knows what I want:

:hmmyes:

This is decidingly too horny for this manga.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know Horikoshi doesn't really like to acknowledge the outside world much, but it's pretty funny to me that Midoriya stayed in Japan when he dropped out of UA. I don't agree with the vigilante arc on principle, both in terms of what I feel the moral of the story was as well as just being a poor strategy. "Dear Friend, I'm leaving you in order to protect you. Also I will be 20 minutes away by train if you need to get in touch."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I guess Deku could be out there trying to find AfO before he can finish whatever he has planned for his and Shigaraki's bodies, it doesn't seem like AfO is making any moves until he's done with that.

I do think it's funny that we've gotten a bit of a role reversal from the start of the series where Bakugou was trying to be the angry loner who hates teamwork and now he's probably going to be leading the class and Deku went from friendly kid who enjoyed working with others to sad loner avoiding his friends for their own good.

Was...was Deku the Sasuke all along?

My fervent hope is that instead of Midoriya just becoming edgy this arc is a teardown of that self-sacrificing behavior. Nana Shimura, All Might, etc. They all did the same thing to try and protect others, and it just blew up in their faces in the largest way possible. Teamwork! It's the name of the game! Heck, the bad guys know this, even if it's self-serving on AFO's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Although the egg in the microwave never really seemed to work out too well tbh

"Imagine you're microwave radiation oscillating at the correct frequency to warm the egg without breaking it!" Yeah that's an intuitive visualization All Might. I'm ENERGY!!!

Make Endeavour teach at UA assuming it doesn't burn down/get disintegrated.