Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Batman also trained in like every martial art known to man and doesn't usually fight people with actual super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nah everyone has powers, only super heroes have super powers.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah hawkguy

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

It's not rocket science. His muscle-bound form is how he originally looked, in his prime with his full power. His skeletal form is how he really looks after being hosed up bad and losing several of his organs. He can use the power of One For All to temporarily restore his health and thus form.

You're wrong, his emaciated form is his true form.

E: if you've ever looked you can see that one for all pumps up his muscles even more when Deku uses it. So i think his muscle form is basically All Might using a balanced application of the power.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 27, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't think we'll see the dark consequences of this stuff untill much later I'm guessing we'll just leave Ida with some bubbling resentment.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure he might go a bit sauske

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can definitely see Ida taking the wrong message from Stain and becoming more jaded and anti hero i doubt it would be immediate though just a darkness festering deep down inside him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
One for all probably puts a decent strain on your body even when you get good at using it plus i'm sure all of it's users have had a penchant for jumping into danger and doing superhero poo poo which also cuts down your lifespan just by exposing you to more danger so it wouldn't be that far fetched if most one for all users died relatively young.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

If anything, I could see Bakugou becoming another hero killer type anti-hero more than an actual villain

he's very driven by his own sense of justice and doesn't seem to give too much of a drat about the establishment beyond have quirk > go to hero academy > become hero

if they became an obstruction for him i can't imagine he'd be too troubled by turning vigilante

Bakugou wants to be the number one hero he can't do that being a vigilante he doesn't give a drat about helping people or saving anything he just wants to be number one, he would never ever abandon the current system.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

That seems kind of bizarre; I'm assuming that the ones used on the other heroes at least weigh less than the ones used on All Might, because otherwise there's no way a normal human being (which is basically what Aizawa is minus his quirk-sealing ability) would have trouble just moving around.

Pretty sure they work on a percentage based thing not by actual weight they are Herotech type devices

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gnome7 posted:

If anything, that much weight will only make it harder for him to hold back, since he has to put that much more minimum energy into moving to begin with, and now his arms are each 600+ lbs by themselves. It's like punching with a pair of cars for arms.

it's Science! maybe they don't actually weigh anything.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Also UA is only the best hero school it's very possible that there are other easier to enter hero schools.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Of course he's having fun he doesn't have to be scared like in a real fight.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think they all pass except all-might's team and everyone has resort fun shinannigans while deku and lord expolodokill fight more villany

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

One of my favourite things about western comics is how balls out crazy the setting is with different things in it. One Punch Man does this pretty well, I think, (even though most heroes have the same origins for their power), so yeah I could see a guy like Horikoshi pulling off, Id dunno, Evil Alternate Universe or Alien Invasion arcs. They'd both be a cool way of setting up a "rival school" once the immediate crisis is resolved.

There's more than one school in japan or even the world UA is just the best in japan no need for dimensional shenanigans for a rival school.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's called kicking rear end.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

I thought his quirk works like this: When he opens his eyes after blinking, anyone he is looking at can have their quirks erased. The next time he blinks, the effect ends.

The goggles make it ambiguous who he has looked at and when he has blinked.

No he has to stare at them that's why his hair getting in the way was made a big deal of in his last fight. And I'm pretty sure invisible girl can't turn off her quirk.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
best part is that the principal is a beardogmouse with an intelligence quirk and not a person with an animal quirk

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

The reason for the gas mask is obvious, but I wonder what the weird scarf thing with the teeth on it is for, or if all the machinery is just part of the gas mask or is something else. None of that was on when we first saw her, and I wonder what it's all for since her allies don't seem to have the same stuff, though I think gas mask guy might have been holding a canister like one of the ones she's wearing, so those might be part of the mask at least.

The teeth scarf is stains i believe, she probably bought it the mall as a tribute to him we see other kids looking at them in the mall too.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Keep in mind All Might can throw dozens of those per second.

remember too one for all is an accumulating power deku at max will be stronger than all-might

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
he lost control because it's dark out and then tentacle dude covered him up like a human shield making it get darker his shadow gets stronger in the dark. Pluss he was probably weak from wrestling with it in a cave all day

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

chumbler posted:

That brings to mind one thing that has been bugging me for a bit about this series, that we haven't really seen anyone besides Deku and arguably Todoroki and Iida be in positions to do Heroic Things. I mean it's to be expected that a shounen comic is going to have a focus on fighting and training, but there has been no real opportunity to see how most of the students respond when in a situation where they need to save someone who isn't a classmate either from an accident or an attack. I'm hoping it's because we just haven't gotten to arcs where that becomes a thing yet, but it's a major bit of characterization that is still pretty lacking, and it's particularly relevant for Bakugou. It's probably a safe bet that if he had to stop someone attacking civilians he'd go straight for the attackers (which is the correct thing according to law enforcement), but would he be as effective and adaptable in something that isn't a fight? An arc with a disaster not directly involving villains would really help the series a lot, I think.

Well remember that plenty of heroes have specialties so bakugou really has no need to ever worry about accidents if he just wants to beat down badguys. like would you expect a firefighter to stop a bank robbery?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Why not just lead the berserk birdboy around and have him beat the gently caress out of the villains.

that only works until he catches you

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure it was stated that all might's skinny form was his real self. I'm pretty sure the buff form is a consequence of him being a prodigy at using one for all, it's basically just the full cowl power deku uses but different

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

People on the "steal back the quirk bit" for A4O forget that O4A cannot be forcibly taken, allmight even told deku to not worry, unless you intend to pass on the quirk someone else taking your dna does not work.

Also on deku going from "quirkless" in the eyes of the world, well quirks are weird and he seriously buffed up in the summer so he could go "I couldn't use it before because I would have literally died from it and my body naturally limited it until I was physically strong enough to survive the use." and people would probably accept that based on how badly it can gently caress him up as is.

unless of course they got a hold of his medical records showing his extra toe bone

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Lord of Hats posted:

I wonder who All Might would have chosen to pass OfA on to if Deku hadn't come along. Nobody else seems like someone he would click with quite as much, so who would he have settled on?

I wonder what kind of quirk Deku might have ended up with had he gotten one naturally. Possibly pyrokenisis if he got the best mix of his parents quirks or maybe human torch style fire suit hopefullly his dad's quirk comes with some fire immunity.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TriffTshngo posted:

The "Deku can't stop exploding his arms" storyline needs to cap off with him just getting cyborg replacements after he ACTUALLY destroys them. Then it can be like Fullmetal Alchemist where instead of sitting in the hospital after every fight he's getting replacements made.

it would be great if one for all also empowered robot arms.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

They could also conceivably improve, though; what if, rather than "attract small amounts of fire", the quirks combined to become proper pyrokinesis? It's still the essence of both abilities, and there's no reason the quirks have to get worse necessarily; after all, Todoroki's quirk is superior to Endeavor's and his mother's. The quirks may get weirder, but that doesn't mean they're going to become meaningless or bizarre over time. For everyone, at least; obviously some people will wind up with lackluster quirks, or none at all, but that's how it is already.

while it is possible to get a mutated improved quirk i do believe the doctor said that quirks were getting weaker in general each generation. but yeah i like the idea thathad deku inherited his quirk he would have gotten pyromancy or maybe some ability to create rad fire armor.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Eh if they punished orochimaru they'd all have to take a look at the horrible crimes they'd all done.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Amstrad posted:

Ask Batman.

Edit: I'd love to see a quirkless hero show up in a later chapter.

being a hero is a public thing so deku would already know about him plus being a hero is regulated by the government and probably requires graduating from one of the various hero schools.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah. you might get injured fighting superpowered badguys isn't really a huge leap.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

The risk of injury is something all the heroes have to deal with. Deku's problem is unique to him.

not really, many quirks have issues that could probably seriously hurt their owners but they've learn't and grown with them, if Deku didn't have to go 1000% power he wouldn't have hurt himself.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ruggington posted:

me on the left

congrats on your fetish?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He erases one for all in midoriya he could probably do it to all might too it's the same quirk.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or they wear like some clothes.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

All Might straight up tells Deku he used to be Quirkless, just like he was.

A lot of people don't seem to get this, despite the manga flat out telling you at least three times as far as I remember, but All Might's buff form isn't some kind of Super Saiyan or Hulk type thing, All Might is just a really huge buff guy and always has been. Now, a few years back he got real hosed up by All for One, so now he is near-dead, but can still fake it when he has to.

no unless it was a translation error his "emaciated" form was stated as his true form, one for all makes him buff. (i assume his true form before getting hosed up was probably a bit more buff than that but his muscle form is some sort of trick of one for all)

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-no-Hero-Academia/Vol-001-Ch-007-005--Volume-001-Omake?id=218790

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 25, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
well all might was actually said to be a prodigy at understanding and using OFA so it's possible that the big biff body was a way he used the power to mitigate the blowback

and i even said he was likely a bit more buff than he is currently but all might size is not his true form

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Law Cheetah posted:

it doesnt make sense, really. if being a wiry high school kid makes you an unsuitable vessel to wield more than 5% of one for all then missing half your organs should mean you're right out. instead all might just gets full usage but with a time limit. what does that mean? i've decided to just not think about it too deeply

I assume it has something to do with his muscle form maybe he's usung some of the power to enhance his body's structural capacity and that's part of why all might is unable to use quite as much power as he used to in addition to the missing organs.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Deku is obviously destined to be a hero so i think fire armor deku would be cool but i dunno if the school would allow him to requisition flamethrowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Petiso posted:

To be fair, most popular shonen titles have the main character start as an underdog but halfway through they discover he was THE CHOSEN ONE all along, can't blame people for making that suggestion.

but Deku literally is the chosen one i mean he was chosen by all might and we already know he's going to become the number one hero it is literally his destiny.