Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
So this comic is pretty good, I'm happy to discover that the author's got something else going that seems to be popular, I thought Barrage had some potential when it was going. This is the first manga I've read that both really seems to get western superhero comics and how they function, but also has that cool twist of Japanese sensibility in a blend I've never really seen before. The first counterpoint that springs to mind is all of Marvel's "mangaverse" where it seemed like the only encounter the creators had with the manga stuff they were incorporating was to have read one of those "How To Draw Manga" books.

What day do new scans usually drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Waffleman_ posted:

Get a Weekly Shonen Jump subscription. Starting next week, they're running new chapters every Monday and the scanners are waiting until afterwards since they're on good terms with the guy translating it.

Well I already have that so ballin'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

chumbler posted:

I'd love for him to still be one of the good guys but just a complete loving rear end in a top hat the whole time. Granted that wouldn't really be any character development (and we've already seen hints that he's growing), but I don't think I'd ever want to see him being nice and buddy buddy with people. Bakugou should stay an angry prick, just maybe verbally rather than physically.

Look, Vegeta may have became a good guy, but he was still a loving rear end in a top hat, so there's precedent.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
All Might wasn't the first person to have One for All was he? I mean, I'm assuming that, given how the Quirk works, it isn't his quirk, and that All Might got it from someone else. It'd probably take a generation or two to accumulate All Might's insane godlike power and Quirks seem to have been around for a couple of generations, assuming it's from the dawn of quriks existing, All Might's gotta be at least second or third generation. And the way he talks about it before telling Deku about it at the least heavily implies he wasn't the first.

I wonder if another of One for All's past hosts will show up, is what I'm getting at.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Gyges posted:

I want to know how the second bearer of All Might's quirk got it from the first bearer. Was he a barber who accidentally got the first guy's hair in his mouth or something? It had to take a passing of the quirk or two before it's abilities even became noticeable.

Look, I'm just gonna say this before anyone else does. In all likelyhood Old Man All Might probably had some of his vital juices... sucked out. That's right. The first power transfer was a vile depraved act that could never be shown or mentioned in a kids manga. Vampirism.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Franky Quietly does a really good job of selling Clark Kent's disguise in All Star Superman, the difference if how Clark carries and handles himself makes you swear its a different character he's drawing.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

My wish came true! I am so happy.

EDIT: I want Uraraka to tap Bakugou and he just floats away.

She's mentioned having a new trick up her sleeve a while back, and I'm pretty sure she's gonna have to show it off against Bakugou so I'm gonna call it as making stuff heavier, instead of lighter.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Mindblast posted:

Having not followed Naruto, is this something that series does all the time?

Not all the time really, no. Naruto's exam arc had a big tournament as the final exam. The point of the exam wasn't to win but to demonstrate that you had the qualities to make a good squad leader (winning just meant you had more opportunities to show off). The only one who passed lost his fight, since he showed he was could keep a cool head, strategize on the fly and know when to bow out because the mission was a failure.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Terper posted:

[spoiler Still, could have done with more foreshadowing.[/spoiler]

This IS the foreshadowing, this match didn't matter, but you can sure as hell bet this aspect of his power will come up later when it actually is relevant.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Waffleman_ posted:

And she revealed that she wants to become a hero for loadsofmoney.

To support her family, you see.

I can't actually recal a single character in shounen that's in it for the money that didn't have some kind of ulterior motive, like supporting family, paying off a slave debt to evil pirates, paying their way into medical school and so on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Say Nothing posted:

Isn't the roided-up physique All-Might's real quirk, and he just inherited the All-For-One like Deku did? Or am I misunderstanding this and All-Might was in fact quirkless before he got that power?

Either works, but I don't think his buffness is because of All for One. I just thought that's what he legit looks like, and his skinny form is just because he's ill, and he can temporarily look like his old self somehow.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Zeruel posted:

:ssh: its One-for-All :ssh:

I changed it in editing two or three times, I probably should've just googled it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Piriwi posted:

It's the same as why most people don't end up being lethal assassins. Even though they potentially could... with years of training. But they don't because they have jobs and kids and other priorities. That just leaves those that have naturally powerful quirks (of which most probably would get defeated easily by heroes) and those that train.

We know the government keeps track of quirks and there is probably a taboo on using certain types of quirks (like the mindcontrol guy apparently having barely any previous experience with his quirk),

I seem to recall them mentioning that just using your powers whenever you like is illegal and they are restricted unless you're a hero.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I would think that eventually the power from One for All would be so large that any amount that someone without that quirk adds would become so insignificant as to be meaningless. Over a long enough time scale the power will just level off. I mean, by that stage One for All is basically unbeatable, hell maybe it's hit that level already.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Terper posted:

He hit Todoroki square in the stomach.

Serious Seattle Series: Normal Pennsylvania Punch.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Soylentbits posted:

I want Bakugou to win and then just challenge Deku for the hell of it. Also presumably all of Bakugou's liquids have the possibility to explode.

Look I didn't want to bring it up before, but Bakugou is basically just Mr 5.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

Also my kingdom to Horikoshi if he can do this whole manga without a significant timeskip. Please, dear god, no timeskips. They're really really bad in shounen and everyone needs to stop doing them.

I think they work okay in Dragonball.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Jintor posted:

Man, assuming everybody still has their birth names, names are hilariously prescient.

This is a superhero story. Doctor Octopus' name is Otto Octavius. Rainbow Raider's name is Roy G. Bivolo

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Deku will need to hit the gym then. I always got the impression that All Might's muscle bound from is what he legit looked like and he can return to his true form instead of looking half dead from injury. It wouldn't really be consistent if the Quirk just made Deku into the Hulk. I mean, it's kept vague enough that he could write it that way but considering the opposition he got to All Might's design in the fist place I doubt it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Bakugou remains the best character. Baron of Explodo-kills is the hero we all deserve.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Ha ha ha. Is Kal-El Office straight from the original?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

I wonder how this society with like 90%+ of everyone being mutants handles people with passively dangerous powers. Like, someone who emits ionizing radiation unwillingly or something. The government pay for a suit and living arrangements then?

It seems like the government makes a ridiculous amount of effort in general to accommodate everyone; Horikoshi even made a term "inclusive design" for it. That's why the school has rooms with high ceilings and huge doors.

Well, like you say, when it's 90%+ of people, presumably with a decent portion of those being weird even in the sense of having an extra limb or so let alone more out there stuff, the sheer pressure of that much variety sort of forces accommodation. Quirks also make it easier to actually implement these changes. Hell, look at how big a deal wheelchair accessibility, for example, is in real life.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Caidin posted:

Perhaps I'm just dense but I'm not really sure what Deku's epiphany was. Are they saying he needs to use it more passively then something he has to activate?

Deku is thinking of All for One as a special move, like a kamehameha or something, a special finishing technique. But a Quirk is part of your body and who you are, he should be incorporating it into everything he does, all the time. Like going Super Saiyan.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Blhue posted:

I assumed he was doing one of those unnecessary ending suffix verbal tick things and the translators just dropped it entirely.

I'm glad because those things are loving awful and manga authors keep insisting on loving including it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Stain is so loving 90s it's unreal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

He's very Spawn-ish.

I'm also reminded of Maxx and the original TMNT (and by extension Frank Millar's Daredevil)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Fabricated posted:

I dunno if the translation was correct or not but in Stain's first appearance he rants about all these fake heroes and that the only one worthy to take him down would be All Might.

And is this one when Facepalm-man talks about how he wan't to kill All Might Stain says their goals are completely opposite.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Hahaha Deku's IM avatar is just a picture of All Might. of course it is.

Speaking of All Might, this chapter really just confirms to me my theory that Stain thinks All Might is an actual legit hero (since he said he and Shigaraki had opposing goals). I'm interested to see how he'd react to Deku. the kid has the attitude but he's not a hero yet.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Well, there was this shining baby who was deaf, dumb and mute and really weak. but everyone who touched it gained quirks, and had injuries healed....

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

I think it's cool non-Japanese readers are finally getting the chance to weigh in on a popularity poll.

I concur, the Japanese fanbase's character popularity opinions always seemed really bizarre in places in WSJ. like how Iruka was in like the top 12 most popular Naruto characters the whole time even though he only did like two things in the entire run of the story.

Hmm. I don't read a bunch of these when it comes to ordering most>least favourite... but I cannot in good conscience put Bleach on this list

I voted for Baron Explodokill.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 28, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Bad Seafood posted:

If only more people could have voted for Leorio.

I would have voted 20 times a day if it meant more Leorio.

Good news is he looks like one of the main characters for the current arc :suicide:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
This manga legit has a ton of cool, fun characters which I like, which is one of the author's strengths, so I don't really mind who wins.

Except for Venom Chainsaw. gently caress that guy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Was invisible girl on the poll? I couldn't see her.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
You can tell poll results spreads because there is always a spread drawing of the top ~10 characters, with the winner being central and drawn larger etc.

I'd be interested to see the numbers involved with the polls. The WSJ polls can vary a lot in the number of voters. I saw a Bleach one, presumably from way back that hit 75000, even the ultra-popular One Piece has never even hit around 70000, whereas then you've got a Medaka Box poll with 14000 (where one of the series villains got ~3800, about 2900 votes above second place).

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
He'd be able to turn off Zombieman or Tatsumaki's powers, but Saitama could still punch his head off.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Captain Invictus posted:

:drat: at gigabaps here, makes me wonder if the author drew these interpretations as a surprise for his assistants, wonder what she thought of that

I barely remember the big spread this was a part of, but assistants usually draw that poo poo themselves. It gives them a chance to show off their own artistic chops.

Midnight's design is just one of those things you kind of sigh at and move past becasue comics are loving terrible and at least she isn't giving birth to her own rapist or something.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Level Slide posted:

Momo already fills that aggressively Chinese aesthetic.

Speaking of international heroes, I also hope some actual Americans show up and they think All Might is a little excessive. And they're all Mexican.

Given the American comics influence in the series, I half hope that My Hero Academia treats foreign superheroes like US comics do and have every hero be some kind of broad cultural stereotype. I look forward to Buick Man, Eagle Boy and the Religious Right showing up in future arcs.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The Flash is a golden age Hero.
His villains are poo poo. Really poo poo. I mean really, Gorilla Grod, Mirror Master, the fiddler? HAH.
This also means his powers have fluctuated from barely enough to overwhelmingly overkill.

If it wasn't for the last line I'd swear this was some kind of next level meta joke since every statement here is completely incorrect.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

ZiegeDame posted:

So doesn't this mean that One for All could be used to pass on other quirks beyond the strength accumulation one? Have all the previous holders been quirk-less, then?

People are saying no but I pretty clearly remember that All Might specifically said that it does, using Todoroki as an example. So all the previous holders have just had maybe generic super strength or nothing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Ytlaya posted:

The point is that the whole "being a doctor as a front to steal kids' quirks" thing makes no sense if the kids are only coming to you when they think they have no quirk at all.

It's possible he's just a paediatrician and they steal the quirk very early on during a check up. I mean, if All for One dude has like a billion quirks he could have just given the Doctor a "scan someone and know exactly what their Quirk is even before it manifests" power. Though at this point, I'm really stretching to fit a theory.

Roland Jones posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what he said, just that Todoroki would have One For All in addition to his own powers, and would thus be an extremely effective hero, which is what Deku was sad about. "Wouldn't it have been better to give it to someone with a strong quirk rather than me?" and all that.

Yeah upon double checking you are right. I do maintain that there's been nothing said over whether other Quirks can be passed on using One for All yet, so I stubbornly maintain my position until explicitly proven otherwise.

I am curious how the "Stockpiling Power" quirk worked originally though. It looks like society collapsed and had to be basically rebuilt after Quirks emerged, which is kind of cool. Since we can guess from that image that before Deku there have been seven previous users of One for All, I'd estimate that unless they were all dying pretty quickly, assuming an average of 15 years per user that means the stuff with All for One happened approximately a hundred years ago.