Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Junpei posted:

so you want innocent teenagers to die

Quit it with this disingenuous bullcrap please. There's a difference between talking about fictional narratives and real life scenarios, plus their post was open ended enough to be left to interpretation as to what consequences/losses the heros could/should suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I feel like the people saying twice isn't dead can't read in between the lines very well. His whole speech at the end of the chapter is a very obvious 'I'm dead, but I don't regret the life I lived' bit, and to go back on that would be awful writing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oh jay posted:

Orrr... what if he did this instead?

Thanks I hate it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Funky Valentine posted:

Izuku is slowly going to get redesigned into Mirko.

You could just get him to give One for All to Mirko :v:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Professorjuggalo posted:

Momo and Mirko are gonna have a fantasy medieval spinoff for the horny bastards (apparently most of the fanbase)

This is a weird generalization to make about most of the readers Professorjuggalo. Please don't take your fantasies and assume that most people share in your apparent lust for the teenage girl, thanks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

The replies note that a double issue doesn't necessarily mean two chapters at once and that Jump's double issues usually have one chapter that covers two weeks, so one double length chapter.

SKULL.GIF posted:

OK, so we're definitely getting the 38 page chapter for Shigaraki breaking out of the test tube.

The chapter itself is not double length, "double issue" means one weekly issue of the magazine will be stocked for two weeks. You're getting the standard length chapter, and only one at that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Really? What was the first arc of the manga about then?

As Roth stated, Yusuke stays a ghost for longer in the manga, and there's a bunch of episodic adventures that got cut from the anime as a result.

Aside from that, the anime and manga are fairly faithful until the final arc, where Togashi was in misery and pretty much dying while writing and drawing it weekly, and it wound up just being all over the place, and dark in some weird ways. The anime does a good job of smoothing over the ending, expanding on some of the fighting in the final tournament while toning down and removing some of the dark and stupid elements of the last arc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Asuron posted:

Maybe they're referring to Mukuro being a sex slave and the story regarding that? It was pretty much cut out.

Oxxidation posted:

they might also be referring to the manga-only reveal that all the conflict in the story had been a setup by King Yama to boost his own reputation, which kind of lets the air out of the entire thing

Yeah it was both of these things, as well as how Hiei resolves Mukuro's issues, and that second bit really undersells what the actual reveal is, which I might be misremembering but is basically 'all the villains save toguro were being brainwashed by Yama' which is incredibly lovely writing and has a lot of implications as to what our 'heroes' role through the story has been.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So I'm just gonna quote from the YYH Wikia, which describes the differences in Mukuro's backstory between anime and manga

Content warning for rape and incest

quote:

In the anime, Mukuro was abandoned on a freezing-cold snowy night. She was found by a wealthy humanoid demon, who became her "father". He would go on to abuse and rape her at his own leisure. He placed a micro chip in her to show the 'goodness' in him- so that when she ever thought about killing him, the chip would activate and show how good he was to her.

The manga is a little different, and far more graphic in that regard. It depicts Mukuro as having been born into slavery, her insides surgically altered in order for her owner (her father Chikou) to be able to "play" with her that much easier. In a particular macabre and sadistic twist, he would go on to rape her on her birthdays as a present. As a result, Mukuro came to view everything about her childhood with disgust at both Chikou and herself.

Also the resolution to her arc is mostly ignored in the anime

quote:

In the manga, after the Demon World Tournament, Hiei learns of the nature of Mukuro's power. When he confronts her about it, on her birthday no less, she pushes him away, in no mood to deal with his abrasive personality.

When he mentions Chikou, she bristles. When he asks why she never sought revenge, she inexplicably experiences a flashback to the one time that Chikou had decided, on a whim, to act like a father should have behaved towards his daughter.

Hiei says that she was clinging to that one moment and that she had become strong because she was confused, not because she had suffered, and added that she disgusted him. She responds by promptly blasting him out of her room with a burst of power that nearly blows a hole in his torso.

When he returned after a consultation with Kurama and a confrontation with Chikou, he reveals that the memory, of that one time Chikou had acted like a father should have, was actually manufactured memories conducted with simple hypnosis; false images implanted into her subconscious mind, programmed to flood her mind's eye whenever she had the urge to harm or kill Chikou. This served as a defense system that prevented her from taking revenge upon him, now that she had become an S-class demon; he had assumed that her inner conflict would paralyze her forever, which had left him complacent and unprepared.

Hiei vowed to break her inner conflict and did so by giving her Chikou, who was infected by a plant parasite that Kurama had supplied Hiei with, that kept him in place and regenerated any wound inflicted upon him. He then suggests that she mutilate her former tormentor however she wants.

He added that when she grew tired of torturing Chikou, destroying his brain would be the only way to kill both the plant and her father. She simply smiles at this, to which he smirks and wishes her a happy birthday.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I hope she gets justice for The Assassination of the hero Twice by the Coward Hawk

:yeah:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's definitely not the entire country, but those in power don't care because of the money and personal connections to the guy. And your average young readers probably aren't going to be clued into the politics of what goes on with the writers and editors of the media they consume.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Crasical posted:

Japan's culture is weird and kinda messed up and toxic in a lot of places and a lot of ways.

I mean, you can literally replace "Japan" with any country on earth and this statement still holds true, so I don't really know what point you are making with this vague statement.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Talking about the guy valuing integrity over eating who might either leave of his own volition or get fired

TheHan was specifically referring to Oda, the author of One Piece.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can feel you Arist, but I'm gonna reccomend that this thread drops this conversation about Bakugo for now since it's just going in circles and making posters angry at each other over something that they can't control or change each other's mind on.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

• Greed Island is almost as good and I sometimes wish the 2 Yu-Gi-Oh! anime I watched (Arc-V and Vrains) would've kept things as succinct and punchy as Greed Island did.

Yeah you picked a couple of stinkers. Vrains was rather boring, straightforward and drawn out with Terrible pacing, and while Arc-V has a solid start, it falls apart by the last third. My favorite YGO series are still 5Ds and the original Duel Monsters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

is the persona series influenced by jojos? idk much about it but ik people love it

Iirc jojos stands were a direct influence on the concept of personas yeah.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also funnily enough a video came out a few days ago that's extremely pertinent to the HxH discourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7xBwds2sU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rhonne posted:

I do get a bit annoyed when speedscan talk overshadows a new Vigilantes chapter. And then people have to label which spoilers they're talking about, which can make the thread confusing to read.

Yeah, it would be cool if people properly tagged their spoilers as for which series the spoiler pertains to.

As far as scanlation discussion goes, I made it a rule in the One Piece thread that until the official english translation comes out, that all discussion of spoilers and fan translations should be spoiler tagged. People are pretty good about doing that in this thread anyways, but is that something the regular readers of this thread would like codified as a thread rule?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I like how the MHA thread constantly devolves into chatting about other shonen series instead :allears:

Anyways Orochimaru getting amnesty always read as all the kages admitting that if Orochinaru didn't resurrect the hokages, then Madara/Kaguya would have won, and thinking to themselves that if they killed him, he'd just revive himself via another bullshit backup scheme. I could also definitely see Naruto stepping in and saying "ehhh don't do human experiments anymore and we're fine" to go along with the theme of the Pain arc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

lmao right on the money huh

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cant read can you.

ZMB, I think you're getting way too passionate about whether or not somebody likes/dislikes an aspect of a fictional piece of media, even if they're being irrational or potentially baiting for arguments.

And likewise Arist, if you don't want to have this discussion, you can just walk away and ignore the posters talking about it. You don't have to engage with them or justify yourself, prolonging out this tiring argument that just goes in circles and makes other posters upset.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

Well, for starters, this is just false. The spoiler talk consumes full pages sometimes and then the actual chapter release occasionally doesn't even get posted, and if it does it can be a footnote.

There aren't even speedscans yet, spoilerchat is basically reporting some dude's hearsay from a language you don't speak. Remember when Twice died? And this thread couldn't stop making GBS threads on Dabi because the early spoilers said it was his fault? And then that turned out to be completely wrong?

I also just don't feel like my desire to have the main thread for this manga not be talking about things that haven't happened yet in the released manga three days a week is really that unreasonable. What purpose does it serve besides vicarious pre-enjoyment? If you need to talk about spoilers that bad make a new thread for it, I'm sick of wading through black bars and being told I'm the one who needs to unbookmark this thread Thursday through Sunday.

It's kind of odd how much of a specific issue it is with the MHA thread. Even the One Piece thread doesn't talk about the spoilers until at least a fantranslation comes out, and there's still plenty of chat after the official comes out too.

It might not be a bad idea to spin off this thread into two threads-an open spoilers manga thread and a No Spoilers manga thread. Especially since this thread is over 1000 pages and is almost 6 years old at this point.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mystic Mongol posted:

Especially considering the last guy to have it was a sexy murder clown.

I think you mean an old British Gentleman who likes to drink tea.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pretty sure the movies are just non-canon and you aren't supposed to think too hard about how they fir into the narrative.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

thetoughestbean posted:

What if Superman was evil is a tale as old as time

Hell, the creators of Superman, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, first used the name Superman in a short story about a psychic villain called The Reign of the Superman before they came up with the superhero with the same name.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Roland Jones posted:

What everyone expected: Deku sharing his power with everyone else in his class.

What is happening: Deku doing everyone else's tricks himself but better.

(I'm joking, in case it's not obvious.)

You joke. But I think this actually is what's happening.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Aurora posted:

what are the odds they actually stick to 'hey deku if you gently caress up your arms again they won't be much use'

0%. Or he'll use black whip/another one of his unknown quirk abilities to act as an exoskeleton/heal himself up and it will be a moot point regardless.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Onmi posted:

So when all those losses are listed and it's pointed out "Okay what has to happen for it to matter to you?" And the only thing you ever have is "Kids need to die". Yeah, I'm going to mock you about just wanting to kill kids.

Yeah, this is bullshit and many other posters have told you why it's bullshit. I don't mind you complaining about the story or criticizing other posters takes, but don't accuse posters in this thread of lusting for the death of children. This is a horrible case of reductionism that only serves to both ignore the actual complaints/wants of other posters, and to dehumanize them. So don't do it anymore or else I'm going to probate you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rhonne posted:

Soul Eater, much like MHA, is also about bad parenting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PMush Perfect posted:

You could just... not read the terrible speedscans.

Gasp

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:siren:Also I just want to reiterate, for people who might have missed it before, that Wark Say and I decided that until the official English translation comes out, spoiler tags should be used when discussing the latest chapters.:siren:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

:siren:Also I just want to reiterate, for people who might have missed it before, that Wark Say and I decided that until the official English translation comes out, spoiler tags should be used when discussing the latest chapters.:siren:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Given the mangaka has said that the story is approaching a conclusion sooner than you might expect, that's a pretty bold claim.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:siren:https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008926:siren:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The only rule in place for this thread was to spoiler discussion of the new chapter until the official English Translation came out, but yeah we had changed the policy in the One Piece thread to not even talk about text leaks, basically no discussion of the new chapter until a fantranslated version came out, because we were getting chapter text spoilers on Monday, literally one day after the official release, which was more than a bit ridiculous, having the thread be spoiler tagged 6 out of 7 days.

I would like to ask all the regular posters in this thread if they would like a similar rule in place, of no talking about text spoilers before the fantranslation comes out, or if they prefer it the way it currently is.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This might be a controversial opinion, but I like Endeavor as a character.

:same:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've asked a couple of times about how the people in this thread feel would be the best way to handle spoilers, and besides spoiler tagging discussion before the official translation, the results have always been heavily mixed, with some people fine just ignoring the spoiler text, and others annoyed at how it ruins the discourse around the chapter due to faulty misconceptions based on shoddy translations. It seems like vigilantes discussion getting mixed in with the regular series is also leading to some issues as well.

Normally I would recommend making a spinoff thread for vigilantes to solve one of these issues, but given how close it seems to be towards the ending, maybe it's not worth splitting off at this late date?

Which I guess takes me to the next point: is it worth creating a MHA leaks/fantranslation thread concurrent to this thread? That way Vigilantes and the official translation for MHA can be discussed in here, and people can have a free for all with the fantranslations in the other thread. They would be able to talk about the chapter without spoiler bars in that thread as soon as the fantranslation is linked, and before that, they can discuss early chapter text leaks with spoiler bars.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nonexistence posted:

Also there's only like a year and change left of this manga

I don't think that's the case. While we might be in the final arc, modern long running shonen series have been notorious for having long, overly drawn out final arcs. The War arc in Naruto went from ch 516-700, taking over 4 years. Similarly the 1000 year blood war arc of Bleach was the final arc, and went from ch 480-686, taking 4 1/2 years.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flesnolk posted:

Considering this is the site that freaks out and starts calling mods pedophiles whenever they do literally anything, I'm not sure how I expected this conversation to go

I think you might be taking this a bit too seriously. Nobody in this thread is doing anything like that.

oh jay posted:

I hate myself, but I did some autism analytics and though the results weren't what I expected, it would be immoral not to report them regardless.

Distribution of posts by day of week.

On average, this thread does get a good majority of posts from Sunday onwards. I sliced it a few different ways and the results still hold generally.

Of course some of those Thu-Sat post counts are inflated by Vigilante discussions, and some of those Sun-Wed post counts are inflated by complaining about the poor quality of Thu-Sat posts. It is beyond the scope of this article to discern them.

My initial hypothesis of the thread behind Most Good™ still stands, though I still think "this week's speedscan was particularly poo poo, huh guys?" is boring, bad discourse.

Thank you for going through the work to share this data. But also, please don't use autistic/autism as a pejorative in ADTRW.

Also let's be clear, nobody is really interested in the "morality" of reading speedscans/pirating in thus discussion, nor would fanscanlation and talk about them be banned from ADTRW. The only issue is whether it would be better to split that discussion off in a separate thread or not, and to be honest, I kind of lean in favor of doing just that so that way both sides stop fighting each other, and to encourage more people to read and post once the official comes out.

Julias fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 11, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fat and Useless posted:

I'm too fat and useless to compare post count but the One Piece thread never has issues over speed scans, you sometimes get a wow they bungled it but no one throws a pages long shitfit over posting about them before official release.

Tag vigilantes and speed scan spoilers I guess.

It's both a thread culture issue, and One Piece generally being a simpler story to translate in comparison to MHA.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shinjobi posted:

I see no reason to change the way the thread operates aside from possibly making Vigilantes its own thread since it's good enough to warrant its own, separate discussion.

I would agree with this, except that it seems so close to the end as to be a prime example of "too late to the party"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also

Endorph posted:

Here, I drew you guys a loving diagram.