Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs of siren songs
To oohs to ahhs to big applause
With all of my anger I scream and shout
America, I love you but you're freaking me out

Biscuit Hider

SKULL.GIF posted:

Something has been bugging me about the idea that the manga is gonna end soon. There's a lot of stuff we have to go through first unless the story is going to leave a lot of plot/potential character threads dangling and go for an unconventional ending:

1. Giving the squadron leaders in the PLA at least a few fights -- they got unique enough character designs and a whole bunch of splash pages that I'd be surprised if they were never touched upon again
1a. General PLA resolution and Destro payoff
2. Toga's character arc with Ochaco/Deku
2a. Tokoyami character arc
2b. Momo character arc
3. Oji Harima and Compress (similarly, for this reason I don't at all expect Compress to actually die here)
4. OFA #2 and #3
5. All Might's death
6. UA Years 2 and 3, unless the academy gets shut down and the students get a "school of hard knocks" education
7. Implied/foreshadowed collapse of Hero Society and rebuild
8. Hellish Todoroki Family resolution

Like, that's easily 100+ chapters, right? Even if they were all addressed in sequence with no downtime or fluff or anything in between?

He also planned on the tournament arc being around ten chapters, so you know, grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

At least the kids from the provisional license course still believe in Five Pee Pee Man.

My name is not five weenies, I am Shoto from UA and I want to be a hero. My father Endeavor is currently the number one hero, but to be frank I've always hated him and want to forge my own path in the world of pross

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

It actually looked like Ochako was doing pretty ok until she saw the hero having a breakdown. Very centered on the present, not worrying about how many people she wouldn't be able to save but focused on what was in front of her and how to save the people she could.

Also great way to have Deku out of commission for the next arc. I'm guessing his danger sense is gonna go nuts the whole time though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Putting in my official Shigaraki being "saved" theory: Deku manages to reach him, Shigaraki turns from evil and is instrumental in defeating All for One permanently. Does not die in the process, goes to prison and leads a bible study.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

Mineta grows up, both mentally and physically. Next time we see him, he's 5'10" and has a beard.

also he has taken a vow of chastity so that he may be free of carnal distractions in his pursuit of justice and enlightenment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah I think Bleach they were stuck in Mexico for like five years

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

serious gaylord posted:

I always just figured that Eri and Mirio had more of a story to tell. Just mindless fanboying I suppose but I kind of figured that All for One would come for her one day or some other villain that learns about her from Chisaki in Tartarus. Maybe even Chisaki himself and its just ya boy Mirio there doing the powerless hero thing again and all of a sudden its POWERRRRRR. Late enough in the story that both of them can't really affect the main conflict too badly with how utterly broken their powersets are but with a big enough payoff that it rewards the consistent attention we've had on them since the Overhaul arc.

I liked the last arc, but it really felt like the accelerator pedal got pushed to the floor on the story halfway through it.

Not sure it's off the table. Now that he's going to free his old body he may want to use it to rewind it back to before his All Might injury. Be kind of neat to see him at his prime.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mineta is the traitor, but only after sunset

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

It would be really funny if Stain just ambushes OfA and just drops him mid-breakout. No way it would happen but what a return.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 16, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I think you're ALL right

But seriously I think part of the problem is that Tartarus exists as some weird kind of half-measure. There are people in there that can and should be held in regular non-gitmo prisons and simply aren't whether that's a lack of belief in rehabilitation or for entirely political reasons and there are also people like AfO who have murdered in broad daylight and (like Muscular) will tell you happily about all the times they've done it, and are one power outage away from breaking out and being supervillains and should probably just be executed (and yes, I'm against the death penalty in the real world where ssuperpowers don't exist) instead Tartarus exists as this kind of in-between limbo that doesn't handle either group particularly well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

In conclusion Overhaul was right (except for the child abuse)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Whoa. Still internalizing the revelation from this chapter that Uraraka never actually saved Deku during the entrance exam and he's been in a coma ever since he hit the ground. Big stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

At some point they're just going to have to level with mama Deku about OfA, and while she'll still hate everything about it at least she'll understand why it has to be her son out there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Deku can't meet his dad because Bakugo hasn't gone back in time yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah, for someone who will break all of his bones to save the day it's probably pretty alarming for the guy trying to keep him safe that he's just been handed constantly updating minimap showing him all the opportunities he has to do so.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Deku is the traitor and AfO has been spying on class 1-A through OfA, which is also how he knew that Deku was the new holder

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ytlaya posted:

Where are people getting the idea that he's getting the ability to detect when other people are in danger? It seemed to pretty clearly be a spider-sense sorta thing.

well for one thing it triggers when Shigaraki got a crit on Bakugo. It also triggered when Gigantomachia was a about to free himself

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I donít think we have a good idea of the limits at all as of yet considering it just awakened. I think mostly people are taking the idea of the quirk as we currently understand it and combining that with the knowledge that itís been boosted by OfA. I suppose itís possible that the range isnít actually that long and that maybe the original version would only have detected threats to the user, and so the power boost is why it could sense Bakugo getting hurt at all.

But on some level I think people like me kind of want it to be more of a double edged sword. Because we know there was something about either the quirk or the user that All Might was reluctant to share, and that would make sense as a guess. Plus it would be especially crippling for Deku as he is and it would be interesting to see how he would cope with that burden and how that would force character development

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blockhouse posted:

Anime fans continue to be the worst.

I also maintain my earlier statement that Jeanist getting fake death surgery is the dumbest thing in this manga. What happened if Dabi had just set the bag on fire??

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-Resistant-FR-Denim-Jeans/dp/B01NAKEXU9

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I do think that's an interesting contrast, that All Might had such a natural affinity for the quirk that he was able to use 100% of it right away but never really interacted with the other parts of the power vs Deku, who had to struggle to harness every piece of that power without blowing himself up, and is now the one unlocking its true potential

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think it's cool All Might didn't need the additional Quirks. Like, even half dead and not even fully muscled, he still beat All for One.

Granted, I still maintain that was an anticlimactic showing for AfO, but it's a really good "Holy poo poo, All Might is a badass" moment.

That was kind of intentional though. This was a battle between two titans who are basically past their expiration date. It's not as obvious with AfO because he's dominating everything until the last moments of the fight but they're both only shadows of what they used to be. We only get hints as to how badly AfO's body has been hosed up compared to All Might, but the face is a pretty big tell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

You see some yellow lightning at one point, I think at the end of the AfO fight. I just think of it as a cool visual effect for the user but it could also represent there being so much power that Deku's body can't even contain it properly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

He's gonna need it to select which quirks he's using once he unlocks all of them.

He's also gonna need because he needs a new arm(s)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah, Endeavorís in a kind of self-pity mode right now. He wants to be told heís a big piece of poo poo. What he needs to be told is that itís time to clean up his mess and no matter how valid Dabiís motivations are for hating him heís still an unrepentant murderer and he canít just be allowed to go around and continue hurting people just because Endeavor feels guilty

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

lol if the final page is just Deku unlocking OfA at 100% unassisted without hurting himself and punching out AfO.

"And that's the moment I became the world's greatest hero!"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I liked it.

It's definitely a different tack than I expected, but I supposed Endeavor's not such a piece of poo poo that he'd be the way he was at the start if he'd directly caused Touya's injuries by egging him on. Not that this clears everything he's done but it does recontextualize a lot and I do appreciate that Dabi's not getting an "out" by the narrative so to speak, whatever Endeavor's failings are he made certain decisions of his own will and those are his to own.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Bee posted:

I can kind of get where he's coming from. In his mind, Dabi's doing this because he feels like he Has To, so Endeavor is trying to make it feel like he doesn't Have To anymore. What he doesn't realize is that Dabi isn't doing this just to sate Endeavor's ego but also because now its his goal, too. So instead of "you don't need to feel this responsibility anymore," it warps into "you can't make this goal happen so I'm making someone who can."

It doesn't help that Endeavor also still really wants his family to be #1, so making someone who could make that goal happen is a really, really nice bonus.

This was my read on it too. Endeavor thinks he's helping but he's seriously misunderstood what's actually going on.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nuebot posted:

This was my read on it, too. In the last few pages they literally say he's the root cause of poo poo, but it's obvious Natsuo feels guilty over not having been able to listen to all of Dabi's woes or stand up to his father. And to me at least, that reads like the kind of thing where any time something awful happens people tend to reflect on how things might have been different if they'd only done something differently and blame themselves in their internalized guilt. But given how he lashed out at everyone around him over anything that wasn't encouragement in his specific determined path: would any of those things actually changed the outcome? Because just by reading Touya's dialogue it seems like everything he said and did largely only served to reinforce his own obsession. Even at the end, when the whole mountain catches fire, he starts burning away at his eyes and I kind of assume that was to stop the tears he'd been ashamed of.

He was at a point, long ago, where there was only one person in his family who could have done anything to stop him, his father, and Endeavor's choice was to try and breed a newer, better, child to power shame the kid into not hurting himself instead of coaching him down a better path and accepting him for what he could do. And everyone else feels worse for it because they blame themselves for not having done enough to try and help, while barely being able to hold on themselves in some cases.

That's also why I think his line in this chapter is a little more complicated than just misogyny. It's more about his obsession and trying to find a reason to dismiss anyone who tries to get in the way of that than it is about any of kind of deeply held sexist belief. What he says is still the same but it's like he gets there backwards.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think that their feeling responsible is an impartial third party judgement call on their level of blame. It just shows they have an internal motivation for wanting to help, instead of wanting to run screaming for the hills and change their names and go into witness protection, which they're both well within their rights to do.

It wouldn't be a comic about superheroes if there wasn't a healthy dose of questionably rational self-sacrifice to spread around.

Pssh. Call me when they're willing to break some of their own bones in the process.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hatty posted:

What I gather from the 4chan cesspit is that people are mad about a possibly mistranslated line in a Volume release where Shoto insults Endeavor calling him a rotten No. 1

I think it came up earlier in the thread but IIRC the volume release has a line thatís changed to be a lot harsher than it was originally and harsher than it was translated in other languages which would have been a decision made farther up than Caleb regardless.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Regular MHA

Looks like OfA is finally getting exposed at least a bit. It's about time, imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Itís ok to link fan translations, right?

This is where I read it

https://w21.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-303/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

*Todoroki storms into Dekuís hospital room* ďAre you really All for Oneís secret love child or something?Ē

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

christmas boots posted:

Deku can't meet his dad because Bakugo hasn't gone back in time yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

He's the only Jeanist!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

*American heroes just start shooting people*

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Last Celebration posted:

Thereís a lot of good hero names, but really nothings gonna top Great Explosion Murder God Dynamight. Itís so good...

Oh what, so I Can Not Stop Twinkling was ďtoo longĒ but this is fine somehow?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mon Dieu! How soon we forget

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Hogama posted:

Spoilers are in the wild, speedscans will probably be by tomorrow or so. (Early spoiler content warning!)

It's mostly exposition but it seems the multi-quirk nature of OfA makes it kind of incompatible for anybody BUT a quirkless person.

I'm sure it will make sense when I see the chapter but we know people with quirks have had OfA previously (obviously) so is that like a new thing because it's become so powerful from the quirks its absorbed?

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

New chapter: https://ww6.readmha.com/chapter/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-304/

Ok, that does make sense to me now.