Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

The anime reminded me that Gang Orca was ranked 10. Poor guy got knocked out of the top ten. :smith:

Probably happened because he was working on the license exams. Figure a job like that, while important, isn't much good for boosting your profile. Add in the downtime from his injuries in the Kamino incident, and he probably just wasn't able to do enough to keep his reputation in the face of some determined challengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

Could be worse you could be a manga reader doing the same thing like Charles

Charles is always worse. It hardly seems worth bringing up at this juncture.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What the absolute gently caress?

Deku "Midoriya Inko" Mom is a wonderful person, what do they have against her?

I agree she's a wonderful person!

I just was noting that she doubted Deku's dream, and All Might was the one who both said it was possible and made it possible. Inko even apologized for doubting her son, so that both cements her as a fine mom, and clarifies why Deku saying he owed everything to All-Might is reasonable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

having one member that can fight well is probably good enough for search and rescue work.

Maybe, but Mandalay was also shown to have some skill for close quarters combat as well. Probably they train together anyway, so it's good to make sure everyone can at least cover the basics in an emergency.

One thing about Class 1-A (and to a lesser extent, 1-B) is that they've been thrown in the deep end early. From the slime monster attack, most heroes (until recently) were used to only fighting if the situation was overwhelmingly to their advantage. Meanwhile, 1-A has dealt with multiple villain ambushes, and had their curriculum massively rewritten to focus on not dying.

Constantly going sink or swim means you get good swimmers or dead ones, and thanks to more than their share of lucky breaks, 1-A's gotten through as the most promising class in a while.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if this next arc is going to be about Endeavor trying to replace All Might as the Symbol of Peace only to fail horribly. Just drive home the fact that there will never be another All Might.

Driving home there will never be another All-Might has kind of been Deku's arc already. Deku's still trying to be the next SYMBOL OF PEACE, but doing that well has meant learning how to carve his own path as opposed to just trying to be ALL-MIGHT, but again.

As for hero teams, it feels worth bringing up that there are two of the three members of a hero team in the top ten right now. Kamui Woods and Edgeshot are coworkers, but that doesn't mean they're only doing jobs together.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Also maybe next time don't give it to a 14 year old.

Yeah, picking someone who needed to spend all summer on the body improvement plan from hell to meet minimum requirements probably didn't help the "don't explode" goal.

Deku can also offer a lot of handy techniques to the next guy for managing the amount of strength in play, things that All-Might never had to come up with in the first place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

"First, imagine an egg in a microwave."

Deku's going to be an excellent eccentric mentor someday.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Even that gets called into doubt as you look at how technology and criminal society has progressed. When we start to look at the endgame of people like Overhaul; how long until someone finds a way to get a dart into a hypothetical fully healed all might (or in this case a 100% Deku)? Once you figure that out no hero is safe and that's a very strong message to send. Quirk interaction also get weird, Shigaraki just doesn't care about physical durability so long as he can get his hand on a person. Can Compress contain someone like all might? Shouldn't Overhaul himself have been able to kill All Might with just a sustained touch? We've even seen that a coordinated dimensional warper can lock down All Might's movements if assisted. Granted, this all comes with the caveat that someone has to be able to actually get in contact with him to activate their ability without getting a Hawaii Smash to the noggin. But it's not like it's impossible either. All Might presented not just a deterrent, but a challenge to people who would want to get him off his throne. I hope none of this is coming across as overly cynical. I just really think Deku is going to have problems trying to be another symbol of peace in a world where villains would like to nip that notion in the bud so they never have to hide in the shadows, or under their own monolithic dictator again.

It's not that no-one could actually get a hit in on him. We've seen plenty of people with enough power they could have taken on the SYMBOL OF PEACE. It's that nobody felt like they could. Guys with powers that, on paper, could have taken All-Might down did give it a shot. And then he kicked their asses into next week.

Hell, that's why Bakugo idolized All-Might. He wasn't just the guy who could win when the odds looked good. He was the guy who always won. Who crossed the invisible threshold from "I only need one good day" to "Yeah, this isn't happening."

And that's what Deku needs to do, and, importantly, what Deku is doing. He keeps getting himself into fights he shouldn't be able to win, and wins anyway. He's won a fight that should have been actually impossible.

Better teamwork is good, but if villains think they have even a one in a million longshot, that means All-Might's role is still unfulfilled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Agronox posted:

I am also okay if he's just a complex character, a hero in some respects and garbage in others. Not sure why it has to be black or white.

Because Shonen Jump can't afford more than a couple color pages in a given issue.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Hawks is actually legit kinda interesting provided he's not working some major grift here.

He's clearly kind of a self aggrandizing prick but he does care about the gig, and his motivation isn't unreasonable.

He's basically the opposite of Stain's ideals, a hero who's in it for the fame and who just wants to take it easy. But so far, he's also, you know, an alright enough guy.

He's a very different character from Deku, Bakugo, and All Might.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Which to be fair is not always a bad thing. Nighteye was quite correct in struggling to process the insanity that lies within both Deku and All-Might to be willing to do what they do. Yes it does mean that they do very heroic things but it means being willing to go for unimaginable torment in order for victory to be achieved. That is why I hope that the end game is to literally form a justice league of sorts to that the burden of protecting society is spread out among the hero community instead of just one individual being sacrificed to keep everything going,

The problem with that is that Deku and All-Might aren't being sacrificed. Everyone else was trying to make them hold back. They're tossing themselves on the nearest grenade, and they'll run half a mile to do it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

That mask works much better as a gorget/possible gas mask.

Yeah. The mask is cool. The hood looks lame.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Momo got into UA due to recommendations right? So I imagine that her parents must be highly influential or something

Her parents are rich, and old money rich on top, so some influence is almost a given. That said, I'm not sure they'd need to be for her recommendation. Momo's the smartest student at one of the most prestigious schools in the world, and she's got a quirk where the only real limit is you need to be a genius to use it well. On top of that, she scored top marks in the class for physical fitness, she's got some level of natural leadership talent, she's a gifted tutor, she's trained in martial arts, and she interviews well.

If anyone in the school had a glowing neon sign saying "Scout me! I'm great!", it'd be her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Now I want them to recreate that scene in Strong World were the crew shows up to the villains base and just pull out a fuckload of guns.

Guns just show you aren't confident in your punching. And Deku punches so well it's basically like he has guns already.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

Endeavour being depowered sounds boring. He'd be, what, the 4th hero that can never hero again?

It would also mean he wouldn't have to deal with his actions, which is dull. Right now, we're heading toward Endeavor trying to make things right while realizing just how bad he hosed up. Have the Dabi reveal at the right point, and you have Japan's number one hero undermined as a symbol right as he's finally trying to be worthy of his title.

Depowered Endeavor is a martyr.

Undermined but active Endeavor is, no matter how he's trying to make things right, a symbol of the problems with hero society, and another crack in the dam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

All the talk about Endeavor got me thinking about how completely hosed quirk society is going to be in a couple generations.

We have two examples of quirks mixing to create ridiculously powerful monster-children in Todoroki and Bakugo. While Todoroki is the result of a hosed up attempt at eugenics, Bakugo got produced completely incidentally by two of the most silly and innocuous quirks(i can produce glycerin from my skin + my skin oil can explode but i can't control how much i produce). If Bakugo ever has a kid, what the hell is that going to produce? What if Momo fell in love and married some guy with a teleportation quirk? What happens when Eri grows up and decides to marry someone?

Like a century down the road you're going to be dealing with infants who can punch up with All For One.

That's the Quirk Singularity theory. It came up when Bakugo had to take remedial license exams.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

My issue with that tweet is that he contextualizes it as "humanizing an abuser" as if the fact that he is inhuman is not up for debate. For me, inhuman or monster is like knowingly and maliciously committing genocide or mass murder.

Endeavor is somewhere on the "big loving piece of poo poo" tier of things.

I'm reminded of an old exchange.

"These fiendish German atrocities----"

"But are not fiends a figment of the imagination?"

"Very well, then; these brutal atrocities----"

"But none of the brutes does anything of the kind!"

"Well, what am I to call them?"

"Is it not plain that we must call them simply Human?"

The same people who take part in a genocide on Monday might teach the neighborhood children how to play football on Tuesday. The most vile human beings are still human beings, and refusing to admit that makes it easier to do the same poo poo yourself. After all, you're not a bad person. It's different when you're the one doing it.

(And if the people you're going to do it to are "less than human", well.)

Of course, humanizing a real piece of poo poo is one thing. Excusing their actions is quite another.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

full on fan theory all stemming from dabi knowing todorokis name (which would be possible by having his TV on during the sports festival)

edit: and they both ate the fire-fire fruit

And we know Todoroki has two older brothers, with only one of them showing up this chapter, and no mention of where the other one might be.

And Dabi joined based on Stain's message of "Seriously, heroes who aren't All Might are garbage."

And we didn't get Dabi's name when everyone else's full name was being passed out.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but the more we get, the better it fits. And if Endeavor's going to have any kind of redemption arc, shoving his face in the fact his parenting lead to one of his kids being a serial killer seems to be a pretty good way to force him to deal with consequences.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like quirk society would inevitably end up with a tiny minority of people bred to have super-quirks, like Todoroki, and a large majority of people with quirks diluted to uselessness due to like 20 unrelated minor quirks going into the mix.

Also, we're shown examples of people who have obvious combos of their parents' quirks, but what combo initially lead to stuff like "nitroglycerin sweat" by itself? I get the impression that these people with obvious "Quirk A + Quirk B = Quirk C" situations might be an exception to the norm and over-represented at Deku's school due to it being an elite hero school in the first place.

It seems like there's at least some chance of having random quirks unrelated to your parents'; at the very least that must have been the case with the very first quirks.

edit: I mean, it's pretty clear that getting the sum of your parents' quirks isn't common, since there have already been quite a few generations since quirks first popped up (and most people don't have like 5+ different powers).

Most people have quirks related to their parent's quirks. Not necessarily combos, a lot lean more to one parent or another (see: Todoroki's family), but some are. People like Eri with completely new quirks are the exception, not the rule.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kyte posted:

It's also implied quirks are expressing earlier and/or stronger. Mic comments during the test with the kids that he wasn't able to use his quirk like that at their age.
So even if new quirks aren't being developed, the quirk factor that was mentioned during Overhaul arc still gets stronger.

Of course, it's pretty funny that Mic is the one saying it, since his quirk manifested at birth. Caused some serious hearing damage, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Dad's don't exist in Shounen.

That's a pretty rough way to treat Mr. Piccolo and Krillin, Chet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No, because Hawks is cool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Awesomesaurus posted:

I want to see the AU where Midoriya wants to grow up to be the best hero like All Might, but he ends up with his mom’s mediocre telekinesis quirk, so his dreams just kinda peter out.

Considering some of the heroes we've seen, I'd think "low level general telekinesis", even if it can't be trained to something more Tatsumaki level, would be more than enough to go pro.

Mirio even had a speech about how his quirk was poo poo garbage by default, and that was the top hero candidate at UA.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I am pleasantly surprised.

I mean this is going to basically lead to punished Endeavor, regardless if he gets back up and wins somehow or if he just stays down and the noumu bails. This is going to be a huge blow to society.

Seen it pointed out he got two nasty hits. Got a massive facial scar to match his son, and picked up a gut wound to match All Might.

In other words, he's getting the scars he caused, and the number one hero's scars he never knew about.

Fitting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

... well pardon me as I eat my own words...

Hey.

Like Joe, he's not dead.

Yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean a lot of this could be explained by whatever cause his appearance is something he did himself/something after he separated from the family. Also I don't think Dabi is his real name, it's like Spinner or Magnee. it's a villainous moniker. When the heroes raiding the alliance list off names do they give Dabi's out?

Nope.

Which is kind of a hint that, you know, his name is actually relevant.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

NEW THEORY: All Might is Dabi's son.

That's ridiculous.

Look at what we know about All Might

1) He's ridiculously American

2) He's Japanese.

3) He was born without a quirk

4) He gets involved with any situation in front of him, due to a chronic inability to not get involved.

Obviously, he's a descendant of President Hitomi Mishima

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I can't wait until Endeavor discovers all the perks having a hole in his chest gives him:

1. Having an exhaust port to help regulate his body temp.
2. Since it looks like the hole is next to his lung, he can heat up the air as he pushes it out of the hole and propel himself, thus giving him mobility in the air.

Other than that, can someone help clarify something? All Might made his hero debut, what, 11 years ago when Deku was 4, is that right?

Nowhere close. He was the number one hero before Deku was born.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

WHO THE gently caress IS THAT rear end in a top hat CALLING A SASUKE?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hopeford posted:

Bakugou moon land now canon.

So that's why Deku is going to be Earth's greatest hero. Bakugo will be busy ruling the Moon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

I read all of the arc in a single shot and to my recollection it got confusing but not overly so and I didn't have many real problems with it, so I'm inclined to say yes.

Yeah. I only got to it when it was all there for one burst, and it struck me as a pretty solid arc overall. I suspect that it was the week-to-week that made it such rough going.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I have this idea in my head that OfA is going end up being too powerful for the quirk destroying bullets to effect. Like , it'll only be temporarily gone before come backing at the most dramatic moment. Ether that or Eri finally has enough control to restore it. I'm envisioning an arc where a now quirkless Deku has to protect Eri as they're both being chased through the city by the League of Villains.

Whatever ends up happening, I think the most likely person to be targeted by the quirk bullets is going to be either Deku or Bakugo

Comedy answer:

They use all the bullets on Kirishima and Tetsu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

He dodged Dabi's point-blank, surprise-attack explosion of flame in practically an instant and was somehow able to get above him in that time. He's fast as gently caress.

MHA cops have guns and they're still fodder compared to any pro-Hero afawk. The world runs on anime/comic rules for what a 'normal human' is capable of physically. Bakago can keep up with Deku's legit super-speed, Shigaraki instantly closed the gap between him and the kids in the USJ attack and even Toga was practically teleporting all over the place against Deku who again does have enhanced reflexes.

I wouldn't put Toga as an "even" there. She's scrapped with Aizawa and at least held her own, she's got ninja moves to disappear if you look away for a second, and she managed to take on Tsu and Uraraka at once without using her powers.

Toga's basically a prodigy at murder and murder related activities, even ignoring her quirk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, Bakugo, most people have this feeling called "Not murderous rage".

I know.

It's hard to imagine, but it's true!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

sending death threats for anything is very stupid, but doubly so for this

I think sending death threats to presage your vengeance for the murder of your father by some manner of corrupt aristocrat is acceptable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Revelry in the not-so-dark.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Horikoshi has in fact drawn Uraraka sleeping with gloves on before

Mittens, even. Because she doesn't want to make all her stuff float away.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

"I'm the kid you threw out as a 'failure'."

"...gonna have to be more specific there."

I'm now imagining Endeavor as a T-ball coach.

"Is he potentially more powerful than All Might?"

"Well, no, but..."

"Then why are you wasting my time?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Dad Deku will be Jack Midoriya from the original My Hero pilot one-shot.

His name was John Fitzgerald Midoriya, and he was a fighter ace and he won the Navy Cross and his men called him "Black jack" Midoriya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I hope when Deku's dad shows up he has no idea that Deku got a quirk, got into UA, and has been fighting villains for almost a year.

"I know how bad you feel about not having a quirk, son."

"Uh, dad?"

"But it's a dangerous business, heroing. I hate to say it, but there are times when I'm glad you're not at risk like that."

"Dad?"

"Like at Kamino, when All Might nearly died stopping that villain? If you were a hero, you might have been caught right in the middle of that!"

"Dad?"

"I mean, I even heard that some crazy kid in this year's Sports Festival broke his arms against someone. Not even in the finals! You're lucky you don't have to worry about things like that."