Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I'm a bit late because I had some catching up to do, but goddamn I love Gentle and La Brava. I absolutely hope they come back at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I'm very happy that Todoroki has been diligently writing letters to his mom. A good son!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PMush Perfect posted:

You gotta respect a guy who has a genetic defect like that and decides to just lean into it.

(Matthias Schlitte. He's a world-champion arm wrestler.)

Excuse me, they're called 'quirks'

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Do you think Wash was ever a sidekick for Best Jeanist?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Eri in her new clothes is just impossibly cute. I want to see her in the clothes Aizawa bought her, too

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Knuckleduster from Vigilantes pretty much fought Aizawa to a standstill, so Aizawa has a weakness: tough old bastards

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really like how Endeavor said that the Nomu was just like him at one point

EDIT: also HOT drat this fight is so drat good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I get that seeing Icyhot worry about Endeavor's well being can feel weird but there is a point where seeing you dad being slowly beaten to death on screen while you and all your friends watch it live can be an emotionally draining moment no matter how much you dislike him personally. Hailfire and family can hate Endeavor for all the poo poo he's put them through and still feel relief at not having to see him murdered live on air in the middle of the afternoon. That's a perfectly normal thing to feel.

yeah, the way that some people put it makes it sound like that the only acceptable thing for Shoto to feel is unending murderous contempt, and it's like, sometimes people are filled with more emotions than unending murderous contempt

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onmi posted:

I'm hearing from others that people (Read: a subset of english fans) are sending Horikoshi death threats over this last chapter, which, ya know, is a very mature thing to do and doesn't make you come off like a loving psychopath at all.

That's awful. I just don't get why people do that. They can just stop reading!

EDIT: I'm looking right now, and I can't find people sending death threats, just people reacting to the one bad tumblr post. We might be making a mountain out of a molehill here

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 13, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Patware posted:

re all the tumblr stuff: i have noticed that most of the set of people that get into tumblr-style fandoms (and also the gunnerkrigg court comments section) seem prone to hyperaggression toward lovely fathers to a degree that would be comical if not for the extent of the venom

and tumblr-style fandom has such deep emotional investment and sense of ownership of a series that when a series handles such themes poorly (read: not entirely to the fandoms liking) they can feel deeply betrayed by the author.

Also, why are you reading comment sections? Don't do that. It's bad for you

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
On reflection (and reading this thread) I get why people are worried about Endeavor being "redeemed" or some how cleansed of the abuse he did. I do think Todoroki maybe going on to have an actually good relationship with his father isn't necessarily unrealistic or bad; even non-abusive relationships are complicated.

I still think that there have been overreactions from people online, though, and I think part of those overreactions are from the toxic way tumblr handles fandom.

Anyhoo, if at any point in the manga Shoto says that he forgives Endeavor I'll dress up as Shoto and do something stupid as determined by the thread. I'm serious about this

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mirk is probably going to be like Kamui Woods or Mt. Lady: competent and fun when they appear but pretty firmly the side character's side character

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Horikoshi does the best battle faces/screams in the biz

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Galvanik posted:

You can read illegal scans and still have a paid subscribed :colbert:

yeah but it's still kinda disrespectful to walk up to a creator and say "so I pirate your work..."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, Nighteye's assistant from the Overhaul arc has blue skin. I was confused too when I found out.

I also thought Uraraka was blond for the longest time before seeing her in color.

Bubble Girl was a fan submitted character, if I recall correctly, that was colored in the original submission.

It's really common in manga for brown haired characters to not have their hair inked. I'm not really sure why, and it doesn't help when characters like Bakugo are legitimately blond

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skypie posted:

Shippers have abandoned God

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Say Nothing posted:

Girl Might.

It's good cosplay, but I feel that Gal Might should be super buff

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Dabi is absolutely 100% a Todoroki, huh

Do you think he eats soba like his brothers?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
When does Aizawa try to pet the cat? I never noticed it.

was that Gang Orca in the cooking show that the Todorokis were watching?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

thanks!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

oh jay posted:

Dabi talk that has nothing to do with the Todorikis: why is he the designated Nomu wrangler? He was in control of the one in the Camp Attack and now he's in charge of High End. A connection to the mysterious Doctor?

I think it's more that he's competent and level-headed, which is pretty rare for the League of Villains

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
edit: whoops wrong thread

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 29, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nephthys posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why there would be so many villains in this world. Imagine having to live with that kind of inconvenience your entire life, constantly having to mind what you do even when you're asleep or you might accidentally loving disintegrate yourself. It'd drive you nuts.

Also I wonder if, assuming it is his natural quirk (which we can't assume), Nana's quirk was related to it at all. We know that she had one and family members have similar quirks.

wasn't the implication that Shigaraki accidentally killed his family with his quirk before All For One picked him up?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crain posted:

Hopefully the Omake series gives that kind of light hearted “they’re literally teenagers so this should be expected” hijinks.

There are some light novel spin-offs that are coming to the US that are basically "day-to-day lives of Class 1-A". I think the first one has the parents coming to observe class

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crain posted:

The gently caress is a jobber?

It's a wrestling term for a person who constantly loses, specifically a person who loses to make another person look strong

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mario may have jobbed but he also gave us the the line about why heroes wear capes, so he's my favorite MHA character going forward

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hahaha

drat autocorrect

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Patware posted:

Incorrect. If you don't lose clean, you're not jobbing.

Jobbing is something much more specific than 'losing a fight,' jobbing means putting someone over, doing it clean, and not seeming like you were ever a viable threat once all is said and done. Jobbing is all about sacrificing one person's sell for the explicit benefit of increasing someone else's.

The pro hero squad jobs hard for All For One. He casually wrecks all of them to build his own narrative strength at their expense. It firmly establishes that AfO is on an entirely different level on the fight card from anyone but All Might, the other headliner and, now, the only credible threat to him.

Likewise, the League of Villains jobs to the other pro hero squad - they're locked down in moments and displayed to, at that time in the narrative, be no threat to a focused hero action.

However, AfO does not job to All Might. They both come out of that fight looking strong, slapping each other around an increasing circle of ruined city, with All Might only even managing to win by retiring himself.

this is actually a really good explanation. Good job!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Deku's cool and good. Mirio's cool and good.

I believe that All Might would always choose Deku over Mirio because of who All Might is and who Deku is, and that alone makes Deku a more "legitimate" successor

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DizzyBum posted:

Seriously, I'm so happy that this show has a seasonal format and the quality's as good as it is. Besides One Piece, are there any other holdouts of the old "once a week forever" format?

Black Clover. It's... not good, and the anime apparently makes it worse

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ytlaya posted:

It also requires assuming that Deku's ability to judge a situation like this is 100% accurate, since the darker side of this is Deku potentially abducting a kid from their parent who isn't actually abusive (or one who is abusive but creating a legal clusterfuck that ends with the parent getting the kid back due to Deku's abduction).

Also, taking an abused child from their abuser isn't in the purview of a (licensed) hero, because it's not a disaster or a villainous use of a quirk. That being said, with the knowledge that they had on hand, wanting to take Eri away from somebody she was clearly afraid of is absolutely in the spirit of heroism.

Both Mirio's and Deku's instincts were right.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can't believe that this series about kids wanting to be cops had a character who wants to be a cop

Like, the idea that professional heroes have to follow rules is a major part of the series.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Funky Valentine posted:

"Tsu-chan, you sound like a narc. Do you want to be a narc, Tsu-chan?"

She literally helped catch people trying to smuggle drugs across the border, so, uh, yes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Conot posted:

It's interesting that apparently All Might never had anything like the Sports Festival incident or this.

All Might said that he saw phantoms when he had only recently received OfA

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just thought that the 1st activated OfA and the wind pressure destroyed his room, not Deku gaining some more powers. Besides, if there were more powers to gain All Might would either have used them or told Deku about them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can't get over how good Aoyama's pajamas are. Of course he sleeps with a literal night cap

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Knuckleduster isn't a cop, he's arguably worse. He just walks up to random people, yells "Are you on drugs?!" and then punches the poo poo out of them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mulva posted:

Are you sure he isn't a cop?

nah he doesn't do it for money he does it for fun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You guys are forgetting the worst thing about Endeavor: He's a cop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Japan doesn't really do the whole "therapists" thing, though. It's considered too shameful to even acknowledge that there's even a problem