Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mirage posted:

Hahaha Rhode Island, huh? Maybe ... Paragon City, R.I.?

I sought out this thread to confirm I wasn't the only one who caught that. I know 1pm is based on the author's city of heroes adventures, would be pretty cool if this was too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah bakugou is a great character, he's a great foil for midoriya and you rarely see such an unrelenting rear end in a top hat antisocial overachiever played straight as a good guy. The fact that he never makes the stereotypical shonen deuteragonist turn of being defeated by the protagonist and becoming a neutered best friend cheerleader and he had a "uh oh might join the bad guys" arc and told them to gently caress off with 0 hesitation or temptation says so much about the series being importantly self-aware and subverting tropes.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Mineta actually makes me laugh which is more than I think I can say for any other comedy relief character in manga

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What ever happened to deku's dad and bakugou's dad? Do we know? Come to think of it, are there any relationships depicted at all?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Deku infuses his brain with OfA and becomes a hypergenius.

MHA just becomes Hori writing Deku writing the rest of Hunter X Hunter

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Shiggy is going to steal overhaul's power and disintegrate him because of AfO and reasons

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I'm sure she'll come back to deal with the overhaul noumu. Maybe even solo him?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I would love a Nezu focus arc

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah, I hear "Hori is not a Togashi level writer" a lot in response to overzealous fans wanting Hori to subvert generic shonen tropes and character trajectories, and I think that's generally right in that MHA is well executed but not terribly groundbreaking shonen in terms of narrative creativity, but it's is far from Naruto level terms of lazy and bad story decisions. We're not going to see Deku talk to Shiggy about the power of friendship and then him see the error of his ways. I hope the trend continues in making Shiggy as detestable for the protagonists as possible. Heck, I hope he Noumus All Might and Deku has to put him down. It's cool to have Shiggy get as bad as Deku is going to get good.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Where could one see the star wars poster?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I hope Endeavor does their provisional license training and is a big dork to both of them about the last battle of sports festival and there's lots of him and bakugou getting up in each others grills.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
All this endeavor talk has me hyped for this next chapter

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
10-15 years from now I'm gonna enjoy the scene in My Hero Academia Z when Bakugou and his mom are cheering for Bakugou's kid (who has taken after their personalities) in the sports festival tournament going up against Deku and Uraraka's kid. Presumably (this may have been answered already but I don't remember) OfA isn't passed hereditarily so Deku Jr. will have gravity powers and it'll mirror Bakugou and Uraraka's fight.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What if everyone younger than Endeavor that looks at him is a failed child experiment that just doesn't use their fire power because it reminds them of him? Could someone whip together 80 images justifying this theory?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Bee girl in vigilantes if that counts

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And somehow this dedication to the cause makes her boyfriend want to break up with her and not even hotter for her. A fool, a coward, a traitor.

And wasn't the obligatory male love interest left hanging at the end for an unequivocal lesbian ending? The last two seasons of Korra were so cool and part of me thinks it's a shame they went out in such relative obscurity and the other part if me wonders if that obscurity enabled the creative freedom.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Mei makes Mirio power armor that runs on goodboye

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
My Hero Academia: But making GBS threads Himself Doesn't NOT Mean He's A Criminal Genius!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I want there to be a traitor so we can watch Nezu politely but effectively interrogate them

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh man, what if they hit All Might?

I hope the answer to this is that his obi wan ghost gets deleted from deku's OfA

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It looked like young Gran Torino to me who we've seen before in flashbacks and Gran Torino is involved with whatever giant baddy was teased a few chapters ago.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Quirk combos would be a fun thing to introduce, love to see Bakugo use Kirishima as a human cannonball.

Yeah it's great we're getting to see Eri making a recovery but hoo boy if Horikoshi wanted to really make readers hate a villain he could have them kill/do bad stuff to her and people would flip.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Tiramisu posted:

He already ran into one of his old classmates during the Stain arc.

This went over my head or i'm not remembering something, what happened?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, of course, but killing random police officers isn't particularly impressive. Feats of athleticism beyond what people who actually have relevant powers have pulled off felt more like it was worth mentioning when discussing whether Shigaraki/the VA sucks or not.

I never thought of it until now, but it is kind of weird non-hero law enforcement don't receive any quirk training or have privileged quirk use.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
May they never cross paths with the VA and get violently killed off in the wake of shiggy's character development

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I can't help but feel this is trending towards Deku taking down Gentle with excessive force and seriously injuring/killing him (though that's probably too dark for this story) and La Brava posting the video which without context looks like an unlicensed hero using their quirk to police brutality a goofy and nondangerous "villain." Deku may save the festival but UA will get in trouble for the video and maybe him as well for unlicensed quirk use like we saw at the end of the Stain arc.

We're getting all the stuff about UA's reputational stakes and Eri's expectations for the festival to make sure we know Deku is morally justified in what he's doing, but the video will show none of that and paint Gentle as a victim. This is definitely something Hori has shown interest in exploring from Stain's viral following and Gentle & La Brava's whole schtick.

Whatever happens Nezu better not resign to save face.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

symbolic posted:

If this arc ends any other way but this, I will be crushingly disappointed.

If Deku explained the situation Gentle would be at Eri's side with some hot tea for her in about 5 seconds

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah I like that the bakubros have a monopoly on lap space

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mercury Hat posted:

The only bad part about this arc is it's going to be like 3 years before I can see it animated :colbert: . I love these two goofs and this is one of my favorite arcs.

Even if they aren't trespassing, they're wanted criminals. I get the impression they're basically turning themselves in to the authorities and Gentle's hoping for a lenient sentence, especially for La Brava. He's doing it to protect her/them from going to jail forever or her killing herself or trying to break him out if he's the only one locked up.

So far what are the charges for what they've done? Unauthorized quirk use, small-time robberies, and some vandalism? But getting into a knock-down fight with a hero in training, hacking into the school's security, and trespassing would probably carry a heavier sentence.

I dunno, if season 3 is going to get us through AfO I could see this being in season 5 unless I'm forgetting something big. Overhaul arc is substantial enough for season 4 in itself and I'm sure they'll clean up some of the pacing issues. Season 3 came out only 7 months after the end of season 2 and they seem to be wanting to capitalize on MHA fever while it's hot.

Out of curiosity, anyone here have grade school age kids? I'm curious how this is being distributed and taken by its actual target audience. I could easily see it being like what Pokemon or Dragonball Z was to 90s kids.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
One of the most heavily explored and central themes in this manga is myth-making and the different effects it has on inspiring people to action. When the myth is interpreted prosocially, you get Deku. When the myth is interpreted antisocially, you get Shiggy. In both cases, it was still all about All Might. Endeavor has quantifiably resolved more cases than All Might, but the public faith is shaken when he's the number 1 hero because he doesn't have the myth of being the Symbol of Peace.

Even if in a hypothetical universe where this arc happened but the stakes were more "realistic" and people would just send aspiring heroes to a different school, it wouldn't change that in this universe UA closing would be comparably disastrous for society as All Might retiring. UA alone has the myth of being UA. UA isn't unique because its selection criteria is the most stringent or its job placement in prestigious and lucrative hero jobs is the highest; it's unique because in the minds of aspiring heroes it's a goal they can just run after and pour their hearts into. The myth of UA motivates the world around it like the myth of All Might motivates UA - it's why the students at Shiketsu academy push the extra mile to show they can compete with UA, it's why characters like Shinso and Monoma form neuroses around their relationship with the main cast, and it's why the general public watches the UA sports festival like the olympics. Everything in this world that's important is so because it's more than the sum of its parts. The myth of UA is the difference between kids with potential steering their virtue ethics into becoming Dekus or Shigarakis, or to a greater extreme between All Mights and AfOs.

So UA closing would've been a really big deal and Gentle would've unintentionally caused a lot more damage than intended.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Shutting down illustrious prestige schools with elitist entrance requirements is a noble goal all its own that requires no further qualifiers to make worthwhile. Not making a good case against Gentle here yall.

In marxist hero academia, you can make a différance!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

I wonder what they'll edit in place of Mustard's gun for the western release

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Upon seeing Deku having a quirk besides fire or telekinesis, his Mr. Deku disputes paternity. Classic overseas dad scenario.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Anime thread discussing who's the traitor :allears:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Shinsou's quirk could be hilariously effective at hero work considering we don't have many defined limits to it. I'm imagining him just sitting in a call center going down a list of criminals' phone numbers and asking them questions and commanding them to turn themselves in.

Shinsou: "Hello, I've got one large anchovy pizza incoming for Hugh Mungus, is that you?"
Shigaraki: "I didn't order any... hey wait what why am I in jail now?!"

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Maybe we'll get a prison break so Wash can battle his true Arch Nemesis, Stain

Oof

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Wash is Sasuke

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Also, something that is kinda sorely lacking in these sort of stories is the concept that sometimes you just really need to cut people out of your life. There's a point where forgiving people isn't something you have to, or can do.

This would be the best ending to the Shotou/Endeavour conflict that we're definitely not going to get

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Skypie posted:

Bakugo's dad definitely married up

Have we seen him yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Haven't really looked at this thread since the sir gentle arc.

How is the fan base receiving this current arc?