Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Imagine taking off at a full tilt sprint, and youre just as strong as before, but suddenly you weigh 20 lbs. Youd either immediately faceplant or rocket into a wall. I can imagine a ton of ways to use her power nonleathally. In this test she doesnt even have to fight, Rocket legs is smart but dumb, I can imagine shed be able to just pick up the fake nuke and walk out of the building with it if she came up behind him, he wouldnt expect someone to just walk away with the big heavy target.

Stormlight Archives book series has someone with powers that can change the direction and force of gravity on himself he jumps in the air feet first at a guy wearing armor and increases his gravity pull in that direction breaking the guys armor and his legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Are they really at such a disadvantage now though? They just got handed a lab full of super powerful nomu, one of which was strong enough to push the current number 1 hero to his absolute limit, and the doctor has implied that he has other gifts waiting for Shigaraki once he gets stronger(which he probably will be now that this flashback is over).

Like, yeah Shigaraki and his murder gang where just wandering around stealing poo poo for a while, but it's pretty obvious that the organization All For One left for him is far bigger than anyone realizes.

I really kind of hate the Nomu, I get why they exist but they skew this entire story around in a way that doesn't appeal to me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

that's probably one of the big sources of anxiety behind the Singularity theory - as the generations go on, the chances go up of getting some little tyke who can spontaneously combust everyone nearby when he gets a tummyache

It's a polarizing show but "From the New World" deals with this exact concept taken to the extreme end.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Viridiant posted:

This villain group is a bunch of CEOs, they are definitely just a bunch of rich people who are huffing their own farts. Any real followers they have were probably bought, not convinced.

Yeah no evil CEO has ever had an entire army of stupid followers that were loyal to them for no reason, why someone like that could become president.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Deku will die, each of his classmates will take a bit of OFA and the sequel will be called "My Hero's Legacy" and it will be about how just one man can't be the symbol of justice and it takes a group. The female classmates still won't get any fights.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

fighting for your beliefs is only good and heroic when it supports the state

What part of their ideal makes it good or heroic?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm just saying maybe slow your roll on the 'how DARE they oppose the state?!' takes when one of the most consistent beats throughout all of MHA is the various sympathetic people who've been failed by the status quo

Who said this though? Your post and the ones proceeding it said nothing about them being wrong simply because they oppose the state.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

I'm pretty sure that Re-Destro was going to kill Giran if they didn't come. If one murderer tells another murderer, "Let me murder you or I'll report you to the police so you get arrested, also I'll murder your friend after that," well. Yes, the murderer being blackmailed should be stopped from doing future murders, but them deciding to just murder the other murderer isn't equivalent to them defending themselves against, say, the police. With murder.

Yes. They are the bad guys. That particular arc is not the best one to point to as evidence of that, though, because it's about extremists who want to murder them as propaganda.

Turns out I was combining two events in my memory, but Twice has been on the most wanted list since before he was even in the League due to the nature of his quirk, despite him then having just been stealing and such at that point.

Chapter 229, Twice's flashback:

Also, because I think this is the moment I was thinking of when I thought Hawks was the one noting Twice being on the most wanted list due to his power alone and went looking for it, chapter 258:

Wasn't exactly what I was remembering, but still shows that the state's opinion on Twice hasn't changed. (This is also right before Hawks notes that Twice isn't a bad guy himself.)

That first image says the opposite of your point, they say his crime spree put him on the most wanted.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

I'm rooting for the bad-guys here (mostly LoV but I'm a little in the MLA's corner too) because, in the face of the overwhelming power and coordination of the state apparatus (one we've been shown again and again isn't particularly fantastic) I'm inclined to care more about the ones being unequivocally framed as under-dogs. Anytime the heroes are in the same position, sure, go Team Hero, just to be clear. But anyway, maybe this is one of those "start with the Heroes winning so the Villains can turn it in Act II"-things, but one-sided crushings aren't really that interesting to me.

Not really sure the series will ever execute on the whole "actually this society kinda' sucks"-subtext because at the end of the day it's a Shonen and it doesn't have the time to dive too deep into this sort of grey-area deconstruction when it has Villain/Hero fight-pairings to resolve for the bulk of each ark (or adorable/excellent slice-of-life scenes to work though in-between arcs). We're given a little moment of "hmm maybe X has a point / maybe X is sympathetic" every other arc or so, but I doubt it'll ever be the focus. At the end of the day, the villains are villains and the logic of the genera dictates they'll lose, either dying or being imprisoned, and the best we can expect is a "the system will be better if we change its leadership"-beat at the end, i.e.: Deku & Co. as the generation aware that things aren't as good as they could be, so they'll try to make them better.

basically I'm mostly with Mystic Mongol here,

Which is fine, I guess. It's fine, if a little disappointing.

What is LoV's end goal that justifies murdering so many people?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, all those British soldiers killed because those colonists didn't want to pay their taxes! Greedy shits, killing good men over money. The revolution was unjustified.

Whether or not the death of others for political ends is justified basically depends on what you do with the power afterwards. Shigaraki's been talking out of both sides of his mouth on that issue...

Toga is bad at pattern recognition.

...so I'm not really anticipating the Paranormal Liberation Front to enact a universal basic income and nationalize the banks. But society's crushing down so hard that the liberation army managed to recruit one hundred fifteen thousand people, willing to fight and kill and die for the right to use their quirks. Punching them good is not the end of that problem.

Why are you invoking real life comparisons? I didn't say there aren't valid revolutions/causes out there I am asking about the specific motives of the League of Villains a group possess that make it so you justify their mass murdering?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

How many named characters have died to the LoV that had a greater degree of characterization than the sand hero jobbed by Dabi/Compress? Because that's my threshold, I'm not really interested in faceless goons Gabi torches in an alleyway we've never heard of. As far as Shonen mangas are concerned I'm not going to dwell too much on faceless takedowns. Wake me up when a LoV character kills a beloved Hero we've spent time with and gotten invested in, I'll care about that.

I get having sympathy for them but why are you rooting for them, what even is their goal that you are rooting for? They don't have any sort of ideal beyond killing/destruction at this point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Professorjuggalo posted:

there's no way the status quo isn't going to be shaken up, I'm already having nightmares of you guys smiling over another school festival arc

Why not? I mean this is what Shounen does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Goku learned you can't kill your enemies you gotta just friendzone them, even freiza.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I feel like the stakes have risen too quickly, it's not even the end of the first year of school and they are already fighting world ending mega threats that are taking out all the pro heroes. Even Naruto took slightly more time before the characters were fighting gods and the such.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

i think there's a one-off line that said technological development stagnated because quirks just started filling in the gaps for everything

This explanation never made much sense to me because you don't ever see any quirk use outside Hero stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They really missed some chances early on to show more of the world outside the school and how quirk society functions. Hell have Deku end up being friends with people with messed up quirks because scary quirks and the quirkless are both treated like outcasts or something.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fabricated posted:

The fun thing about the fantasy/fiction debates over this stuff is that in their worlds it's a genuinely tough question.

In a world where people can be born with basically any sort of superpower, what do you do with the ones who have incredibly dangerous powers that decide (and commit entirely to) harming others and destroying society? If you cannot physically constrain them in a manner that isn't consistent with literal torture, what do you do?

I don't really got a good answer tbh. Overhaul's dequirking bullets would be the in-world solution for MHA; removing someone's quirk so they can't just blow up whatever prison you put them in with their minds would work well.

There's an anime "From the New World" that deals entirely with this concept as it takes place hundreds of years after mankind pretty much all gets psychic powers and how do you control all that?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

Deku's last quirk will remove other's quirks, he'll become the best hero by being the only hero.

I'm blanking on the name but one of these shounen animes ended exactly like that, dude literally flew around the world taking every single super power away going crazy in the process.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The most offensive thing about that is how non-clean burning that propane is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheHan posted:

I hope the 2nd's quirk is explosion because I want Deku to rip away the only thing Bakugo's got left to his name.

With all his new quirks feeling defensive I could see him getting some sort of shock absorber at the least

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The manga kid really throws me off, I mean most of the quirks feel like they could be natural mutations of some sort but that is straight up designed by a human. Is there someone out there capable of creating new quirks?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you think about it, the ideal body shape for Momo to optimize her quirk usage would be "as fat as possible". :thunk:

Her hero suit should have a beer hat but filled with gravy instead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Also, we've seen flashbacks of Aoyama getting his support item when he was a kid. Would All For One really give a quirk to a kid that makes him poo poo himself just so he can manipulate that kid into being a spy for him?

...wait poo poo, that's exactly something he would do, isn't it?

It's the perfect plan, you can have him swallow his messages out and leak them through the sewer system on demand.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Has there ever been a "magical power school" show/manga that actually made it through all the years and finished and didn't scale into something out halfway through the first year.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zeron posted:

Most everyone else has like, at the very least a particular hero niche they are shooting for and are very good at. Meanwhile it's not very clear what Momo even wants to do or if she has any plans. She'd make a great rescue hero! But I don't recall her showing any particular inclination towards that in the series. And she's uh, just not training in the right areas to be a good combat hero either. I guess trying to do everything at once and freezing up and failing because of it -is- her biggest character flaw.

Her most effective super hero role would be using her ability to create wealth from nothing to help the poor and needy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shere posted:

It's honestly kind of amazing that anything decent ever comes out of forcing someone to be a combination writer and artist on a weekly turnaround. The whole editor dynamic seems fraught with issues too. Like, by the time they could get meaningful advice from the editor (which in itself seems hit or miss), major changes aren't feasible because of the nature of deadlines.

I have no idea how Oda is still hanging on and producing as good as he is.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I tried American Comics once, in the 2000s Marvel launched a new Ultimates universe they promised wouldn't be so crossover/gimmick heavy, guess where that ended up.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GUNHEAD MARTIAL ARTS

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kanos posted:

This is true and it's why stuff like Darth Vader's death/redemption works well.

Even then he died right after avoiding the whole "welp we are best friends with a mass murderer now" thing that DBZ fully embraces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Larryb posted:

Then the moon got better somehow before Piccolo blew it up again in DBZ

Moons are like Skeeballs, everytime one is destroyed a new one slides down the ramp into it's place.