Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tollymain posted:

mirio can't telefrag anything though, it's key to how he uses his power

:goonsay:
Can he grab hold of something inside of someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Terper posted:

He could maybe destroy robots, or any opponent with a big enough empty hole inside them. By putting his arm inside something and then only solidify his fist, he could grab some wires or whatever inside, then solidify his arm and he would glitch out, maybe possibly still holding the wires.
The stomach is often kind of an open space - oh no did Mirio do All Might dirty :ohdear:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The original reasons for the bans were legit, the CCP wanted to wipe those things from society, but they're only really kept around as a tool to beat around foreign companies. The most recent ban that affected everyone was the ban on time travel because the CCP has become obsessed with history and the presentation of it as it clamps down on things.
I don't know how true this is, but I gathered there was a trend in a lot of literature to have historical sages and scholars appear - either as ghosts or through time travel - and tell the main character, "Hey: You're loving amazing! Thus says I, Guy From the 12th Century. Respect."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I saw an earlier post have the idea that it's regen at the cost of lifeforce. Like, the more he regens, the shorter his overall life will be.
My guess is it's regen like Deadpool or Wolverine. It fucks with your head. Not necessarily 'drive you nuts' but perhaps it also erodes your memories. So Deku will bounce back but maybe he won't remember his childhood any more. (It wouldn't totally fix him either if it works the same way as AFO's.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dabi is certainly following in Enji's footsteps on the whole "have an elaborate plan that leaves a ton of human wreckage for a long term payoff." If Best Jeanist runs in with a jeans chair he might even get to completely recapitulate the arc and get the ol "and it was all for nothing."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s probably about to matter, and she did better than literally everyone else so far in terms of dealing with Gigantomachia. The only more viable option amongst heroes I feel would be Izuku smashing him in the jaw, in terms of things that would phase Gigantomachia at all.
Shoto or Endeavor could probably kill Machia if someone else held him still, but that's different from stopping him. At this point they would probably get high praise but it would hardly make people feel safe.

Shinsou could also handle this in about ten seconds, but he's in General Studies! :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shinsou could probably get him to say something like "You are not my master" if he tried to mimic Shigaraki's voice. But then, Gigantomachia is carrying almost the entire LoV on his back, so he could be snapped out of hypnosis pretty quickly.
I'm imagining something like "Guy who always fails his master says WHAT?" However the heroes may not actually be aware of Machia's whole poo poo there.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Absolutely baffled as to what Todoroki's appeal is.
He's got five weenies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ChronoReverse posted:

I remember All Might saying he made a mistake but the context was that he didn't manage to finish AFO off. I'm fairly certain you're not remembering this right solely because a much bigger deal would have been made out of it in-story from a Doylist point of view.
It works either way really, if AFO had been dead OR in jail he could not have set up Shigaraki, or at least, so we assume.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

As part of her redemption/heel-face turn at the end, Toga discovers agape, unconditional love for her fellow man, and becomes capable of emulating the quirks of anyone she becomes.
This could actually work if she generalizes it to friendship... and has some of Twice's blood.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tweet my meat posted:

What's the alternative here that you all are wanting? Gigantomachia goes down without a fight after being built up as a nearly invincible walking catastrophe for half the series?

Nobody in this fight is going to be getting any easy wins without major collateral damage, and it would be a much, much worse fight if they were.
Momo informs Gigantomachia that there is a spectre haunting Japan: the spectre of communism, and Machia is informed of the immortal science through the next four volumes. In the background, Mineta is sent to the gulag.

I think part of why Momo gets so much gravity here is that she has a power that is tremendously and obviously flexible and is having what look like more bush-league struggles... and she also is clearly getting a lot of face time. I imagine Horikoshi has a long term plan for the character which is why she gets so much center time compared to Froppy or Mina.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

The only way for the villains to score a win in MHA is for the arc to end with Shigaraki standing on top of a mound of defeated hero corpses.
Let's compromise: Shigaraki kills half of 1-A, but the survivors, including Momo, become dedicated communists. They merge with 1-B and bring up Shinsou. My Hero Academia: One Class.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Viridiant posted:

This stuff keeps happening that shows us this society is bad, yes, but none of the characters who aren't badguys have actually really talked about it at all. A lot of them seem to love it, in fact.

If Gentle and La Brava didn't exist I'd be convinced that the story also thinks it's good and that the villains are just talking crazy.
Horikoshi may be trying to recreate and demonstrate this tension, which is widespread in western comics, for people who do not know western comics or only know like 'oh, like the Avengers, yeah? the movies?'

I do figure he's got something to say about it though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Speaking of, I'm back to not really understanding the timeline, thanks to recent revelations.

All for One has been making GBS threads up the scene since the very first days of super people. Apparently his reign of terror overrode basically all of hero society? But Hero Society also started so far back so that Compress's Great Great Grandfather was there at the beginning. Has hero society been mostly useless except for the relatively narrow timeframe that All Might was active? Was All for One not running the scene until relatively recently?
My impression is that the timeline is something like this:

13.7 billion years ago: The earth condenses from the solar protodisk.
100 years before now: Quirk Baby
Several generations pass in which Quirks become widely accepted if not ubiquitous. Basically, things moved past the point where you could have X-Men style "anyone could have a quirk, but not EVERYONE has a quirk."
30-40 years before now: Nana is the 7th bearer of OFA, passes it on to Toshinori, who promptly fucks off to America to train. (Implicitly, AFO could not come after him in America, possibly due to a lack of suitable chinpira.) Nana perishes, leaving behind charming children.

In the period afterwards, All Might bursts onto the scene and kicks a lot of rear end. All Might does not beat AFO immediately but I assume AFO's power is broken and begins to recede. This is where "Hero Society" as they know it comes into play. It seems like the institution of Heroes as celebrity super-cops arose earlier, and AFO did not interfere, but it has been long enough that it seems that most of the people who were active in that era retired or moved out of active heroics, viz. Recovery Girl.

I'm assuming All Might has been an institution for at least several decades. Deku explicitly got his fandom crush from watching a youtube video (in other words, something in the past, as opposed to a live event), and Gran Torino had ample time to turn into a shrunken elderly dumpling. The main thing that would make a lot of this pop into place is knowing how old All Might is, but I think it's totally plausible he's in his 50s.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

oh jay posted:

What if Hagakure has been a Nomu the entire time?
Why, we'd never see it coming!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's possible to feel like quirk society needs to imprison or outright kill the most dangerous criminals, while also acknowledging that it's been applied too harshly and helped create an entire criminal class that's literally about to flood the entire country.
This is a place where the fantasy gets in the way of the analogy, because someone like AFO, or the mutant character who appeared in one story whose mutant power was "disintegrates all animal life within 500 yards" and got skewered by Wolverine - you have the general idea, that this is injustice, or barbaric, etc., and it is set against the specific idea, of "this guy is innocent but he kills people just by existing," or "this guy's manga LARP fantasies involve being the shadow emperor of Japan and killing All Might."

However they do have all the pieces in place to create a situation where super-duper criminals like AFO or Machia could have their Quirks removed, and potentially restored after trial or serving a penal term. Which has its own issues, of course, but as with Mr. Kills-all-life in the example above: That guy probably WOULD like to not have his mutant "power."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

We're also in the endgame so I think it's fair to call the traitor thing a dead plotline.
Now you're going to jinx it.

It would be dramatically apt and hilarious if MHA is what creates a serialized/shared universe situation in Jump comics. Doesn't Vigilantes already dip its toes into this? Could there one day be a crisis on infinite Dekus?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Warden posted:

Lemme see if I got this right from the lovely scans...

Endeavour convinced Rei to try for more kids to get one with a combination of their Quirk so that they could point at that kid and get Toya to give up his attempts to become a pro-hero and surpass All-Might? And against her better judgement and initial protests she ultimately agreed? And instead of going "huh, guess I can give it up now that there's a baby with the perfect Quirk", Toya loving snaps and tries to immolate his baby brother.
To be fair: baby Shoto looks like Stewie

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

There's huge gaps of what i've seen/read of MHA, but is there other examples like Deku and Dabi of parent saying "no, you can't achieve your dreams" and the child still trying anyway?
It's definitely rhyming with Deku's Origin Story, that's for sure

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think that their feeling responsible is an impartial third party judgement call on their level of blame. It just shows they have an internal motivation for wanting to help, instead of wanting to run screaming for the hills and change their names and go into witness protection, which they're both well within their rights to do.

It wouldn't be a comic about superheroes if there wasn't a healthy dose of questionably rational self-sacrifice to spread around.
Yeah, I read it as Natsuo feeling like "poo poo, I could've done something and none of this would have happened." He was old enough to have meaningfully interacted with Toya and so on, even if he was like ten. So he's expressing this in what would more idiomatically be "I could've slapped some sense into you guys," which does not necessarily involve literal slapping.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

It apparently exploded because in English Endevour said...

"dammit"

i am not doing a bit
What? That's a perfectly good idiomatic phrase. If you wanted to be more specifically Japanese he could say "poo poo!!" instead, but "dammit" and "poo poo" are often judged to have different swear factors

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

"Ten thousand" could also be "myriad" or "a huge number of," couldn't it? I know that's a common idiom.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dolash posted:

At this point I'm curious if the government might just take Deku into custody (or black bag him, seems like they do a bit of that). He could be an asset, a bargaining chip, he's definitely a target, and if they figure out the quirk can be transferred then I doubt any cost will deter them even if Deku doesn't want to give it up - it's the national-scale version of the thing All Might was afraid of. Deku's coma may or may not last, but his body still needs to heal even after that, so he's not really in a position to push back if he becomes a political football.
I mean if we're at the point where the government is offering to give Deku's comatose body to AFO in order to bribe him to leave Japan, we have both changed genres, and Five Weenies and Dyna-Might would be pretty justified in going full renegade. That would be a really major swerve at this point, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deku travels back in time and gives a weird looking fruit to Shanks' crew.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Aurubin posted:

Man, Izuku is never going to get into a good college at this rate. Does Japan have a GED equivalent? What do Japanese plumbers make? HVAC?
Regarding this burning question, He can probably get a job at Uraraka Kensetsu

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not spoilerchat:

How does everyone feel that Midoriya being a regular person is what makes him special now?
Deku is extremely special. He just doesn't have a mutant power.

Like it is true that in the context of the fiction, this increasingly-rare but hardly unknown trait is part of what makes him uniquely suited for his role, and we were also shown very clearly how his personality was cultivated by that fact and how that personality was more important than being able to shoot tear lasers. But he's special. If Horikoshi had gone with the "beats all the quirk villains without quirks" route then Deku would have had the same degree of special-sparkle factor Batman does when he gets centered as the unstoppable planner who trumps everyone in the Justice League.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

So parents are moving into UA...

Can't wait for Mineta to see Katsuki's mother
Panel 1: Bakugo's Mom wipes sweat off her forehead. Panel 2: "Hey Bakugo, your mom is red hot!" Panel 3: Bakugo looks up from his copy of ANGER MONTHLY. Panel 4: One'a those funeral portrait things for Mineta.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KazigluBey posted:

If he said it needed to be done and apologized then I guess everyone just believes him and moves on, it's that simple. Like, really?

I've argued before that Twice's quirk was way-overhyped and there were people posting ITT that Horikoshi more or less admitted to feeling like he needed to write Twice out of the story, but it's weird how every time we've seen his quirk in action it's been extremely underwhelming (in a straight up fight, at least) even for first-generation clones, such that the "nightmare" scenario of lots of Nth-gen clones running around (when every new gen halves the previous gen's durability which again, we've been shown is terrible even from the get-go) seems like it would end the second any hero with AoE capabilities so much as sneezed in the clones' direction. This isn't like, extra-textual theory-crafting, this is what we've been shown again and again.

So anyway I guess "pretty much zero consequences for extra-judicial executions so long as the "hero" said he had to do it" is now a canon part of the setting. Seems like a weirdly out of place beat to not have that questioned at all when the tone of the protagonist has just been reinforced as "in the ball-park of All-Star Superman" and the setting has been 100% kill-free on the hero side so far. I'm not even questioning the fact that he wasn't called to some kind of account officially (emergency situation, he's the Nr. 2, etc...), I'm just scratching my head at literally nobody in the hospital scenes even really seeming to care, at all, or it being brought up at all there.

Probably most of what these guys knew about Twice was "former low-grade criminal, insanely powerful Quirk, appears to be tight buddies with Shigaraki, comma, the guy who just did all of that poo poo." We know a lot more about Twice, and I would not be shocked if Toga tells other people about him in detail as part of her resolution, but a reaction boiling down to, "Well that wasn't very nice of you," seems entirely plausible.

Like we, the reader, know the moral and emotional background to when he pulled out Sad Man's Parade. What the heroes would know is that a satellite photo showed that three city blocks of that town were completely filled with Twice clones.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 19, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Can't he only do the "repeated cloning" thing with himself?
If I recall, he can copy himself and one other person at a time. However, each of his copies of himself has the same limitations. So he has to take some intermediate steps to unleash Unlimited Spinner Works, but it's not infeasible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine most of the people who were fighting Shigaraki could have popped a Twice clone of Machia, but they would then have to stop fighting Shigaraki to do so. Even if Mt. Lady could have smashed them with the horny jail bat, there is no reason Twice could not have made twenty of them.

I imagine the main reason not to would have been the concern that twenty "only somewhat less indestructible" clones of Machia rampaging around Japan and perhaps the world don't really prove anything or make anyone feel lovely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hogama posted:

Watch as he unvravels the FABRIC of space-time!
String theory

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

I need an itano circus but with sad man's parade. Nothing less will satisfy.
I wanna know if they're going to do a variation for You Say Run for Sad Man's Parade.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Half of Dracula posted:

Villains are NOT allowed to use You Say Run!! Not even Twice!!
Well yeah he's only gonna use it once.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which makes no sense at all in the context of his ability and how we know it worked later.

How did he coordinate multiple people without any kind of abstract commands to the point where they could win and advance?
Horikoshi might have adjusted some of the details of Shinsou's quirk at the last minute, or changed his mind slightly. Like if his power worked like Karma from New Mutants and was pretty much possession, that would have explained that stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Deku is going to hit Muscular with the Diamond Cutter and get the three count before Muscular knows what's happening.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A villain who compresses his own butt off.

A shameful villain.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dolash posted:

If anything, that makes more sense - like Deku, All-Might sees the power gifted to him as special and existing apart from the bearer (which it does, so it's not an unfair impression). It'd take someone who was born with a quirk and was raised to see it as an innate part of themselves to pass on that perspective to Deku.

As for why All-Might never had to learn that lesson, it's the same reason he never had to learn any lessons. I'm actually kind of curious what, if anything, he did learn as a student? We saw young All-Might briefly in the start of that movie, but he seemed the same as he always does. It's not clear how he actually developed between first meeting the previous One For All holder and defeating All For One.
I assume All Might learned practical heroing stuff as well as applications of OFA, he just never had to learn how to use OFA safely between it being weaker and him being the size of three or four Dekus. He was presumably a fitness head before getting OFA, given how successful he was as a personal trainer for Deku before giving him the Quirk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Azubah posted:

The scarf was a cape, Deku's new power is that he heals if he eats a cape.
Deku is Hades? Bold move, Horikoshi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

There's also the rescue portion of the test where I assume people with non-combat quirks could score points, or at least where you could show grit even if your quirk doesn't affect robots or help you fish people out. I would also not be shocked if they gave you some kind of comp points if you had an obviously-peacekeeping-compatible quirk like Midnight's, although they should have absolutely given those points to Shinsou as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Larryb posted:

Yeah, that’d make sense. Incidentally, what are the rules about Quirk usage by civilians? Are they still outright banned in public like they were in Vigilantes or would they be allowed to use them for like a job or something?
You can use your Quirk in private or on private property as much as you like (presumably subject to indirect limits). In public, you need a license, although something like Inko picking her keys out of a storm drain would probably either be ignored or never be noticed.

There seem to be a range of licenses, they just dont' come up much. I imagine most of them don't come with the permission to use your quirk on other humans (except, like, the ones where that is the entire point, such as Recovery Girl's)