Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Half of Dracula posted:

The power seems like it's more of a stockpile of anger built over time, I'd be disappointed if he gets super strong just because he's pressured. It'll probably happen though

Gigantomachia then shows up, goes toe to toe with ReMr. Burns, respects him, and the whole plan backfires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Kanos posted:

Alternatively, this arc has been heavily centered around the idea that quirks can evolve and change dramatically in scope in emotional and/or physical extremis. Maybe Shigaraki's quirk had already manifested - as indicated by his mysterious allergy - but was something completely innocuous(like Bakugo's mom's skin oil quirk) or difficult to notice, so they assumed he was quirkless or hadn't manifested yet. Then the shock trauma of getting beaten by his father and hitting a breaking point forced an evolution and things spiralled from there.

(It's probably AfO related, though, given that AfO was in position to scoop him up and weaponize him almost immediately after the disaster.)

Is this alternative not actually the primary reading of this? He has a quirk that involves his skin, after all.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Any situation that puts Rei back in a house with Endeavor isn't a good one, so this splits the difference really.

Let alone the same house. Yes, let's have this woman suffering from PTSD live in the same place traumatic experiences happened!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Thought this was most relevant in this thread, where I see both sites used:

- Mangastream has shut down, their Twitter has gone private.
- Jaimini's Box will no longer scanlate WSJ series, which means no My Hero Academia

All of this happened within 24 hours.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It's not just that. All of the WSJ series English translations have been removed from rehosting sites like MangaDex. If you view One Punch Man there, you'll only see Arabic and Brazilian titles.

I have definitely been reading Viz translations. I'm just surprised at how swiftly this all seemed to go down.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

I feel like there will be no in between with this move. It will either backfire horribly and kill the series or push it to heights yet imagined.

I find anime movies of ongoing series to be extremely bland/uninteresting. There are no real stakes, the characters will inevitably never been seen again, and any growth, new knowledge, new moves--everything-- that old characters obtain do not matter. They're limited in their scope as to not to spoil anime-only watchers, and the stories are usually derivative as all hell. It just feels like a higher budget hour and a half long filler episode.

Recent exceptions to this: Dragon Ball Z BOG, RoF, and Broly, Naruto Boruto.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

The buff woman on Toga's side reminds me of Alex from Street Fighter.

I had the same reaction, I'm almost positive that's the intent.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I think, at this point, Toga is a lost cause. Maybe if Twice were still alive.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Maybe Manchia isn't winded. Maybe the sedative is taking effect.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This chapter was VERY comic-book-crossed-with-manga styled and I'm all for it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

A translation note:

I did think it strange they'd claim he has no money; there is nothing to indicate any hero is hard up for cash (let alone the fact that we know he has money).

Prowler
May 24, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Feels like there's about a years worth of story that just got cut. Part of the reason it felt so weird that Best Jeanist came back just to be immediately over shadowed by Mirio getting his powers back of screen. Really felt like there was an arc in the works that just vanished there.

On this, I felt the most natural progression of this storyline was the following:

1. Introduction: Following the ending of the My Villain Academia arc, the alliance is built up in background without the heroes' knowledge. The reader is no longer fully privy to what's going on behind the scenes.
2. Rising Action: Class A and B get into villain-of-the week style encounters with members of the PLA attempting to build up their strength. Eventually reveals the much larger, looming threat. Heroes start their investigations, Hawks goes undercover sometime during the second school year, develop the plan.
3. Climax: Executing the plan/the big battle.
4. Falling Action: We are here.
5. Denouement: Hero society, X years later.

Of course, 2 is my own personal thought in how the action would build. Regardless, it feels like a build-up was missing, and we got filled in on some of the missing details while the climax progressed.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 5, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nephthys posted:

To be honest if things had happened like that people would still be complaining about pacing. People in this thread are simultaneously complaining that the story is moving too fast and that its moving too slowly at the same time. If there was a few arcs slotted in before this one people would just be complaining that Horikoshi is 'wasting time' on low stakes fights and padding out the plot just like they did for the Overhaul and Joint Training arcs. If you cut some things to make the story go faster people would just be complaining even more that all the buildup for the PLA and villains was wasted. There is no way to win this, especially for people reading weekly.

If it was a choice between what we got and a bunch of nothing fights against PLA members for a year, Bleach style, I'd choose what we got personally.

My point is, the time skip happened at a weird time, making it feel more like we missed a story arc, rather than the pacing being off.

It's like, "INTRODUCING THE NEW LEAGUE OF VILLAINS" *villains are not shown doing anything at all with their new alliance, time skip* and then "99% of the new villains were arrested!"

There was an entire arc dedicated to building up this new alliance, and we don't really see the fruits of it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Scholtz posted:

Hey kids, wanna know who my #1 hero is? His quirk was taking on the sins of the world, and his name...

*sits backwards in chair*

was Jesus Christ.

The Real All Might(y)

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rhonne posted:

If Deku had more an ego, he'd probably be feeling a little smug right now about the whole "only quirkless people can safely use OfA" thing.

I'm not sure it's anything anyone would be smug about. It was just dumb luck that it happened to work out that way.

This does effectively kill any "Deku actually has a hidden quirk that hasn't manifested yet" theories.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Aurora posted:

'fell apart quickly' = a couple months in a world where superpowers exist so it's pretty easy for this kind of poo poo to happen

Not to mention multiple prisons' worth of angry, super-powered people likely guilty of violent crime!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If there's a hero that can knock people out/kill them with lethal gas, and a hero who can create fungus seemingly anywhere spores can go, then it follows that there are heroes out there that are basically walking plumes of dust like Pig Pen except THC.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

New Vigilantes!

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-100/chapter/22377?action=read

Prowler
May 24, 2004

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1447698551849455620

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Does that mean we've arrived at the fireworks factory?!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

mabels big day posted:

So glad HxH is off hiatus

I got the joke you were making a few seconds after reading this, but gently caress you for those few seconds of hope. :(

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Julias posted:

Can we not make jokes about teenager's boobs please?

Is this directed to the thread or the manga artist?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

At the very least, we can all be happy Bakugo didn't get turned evil* and we wind up with a Deku/Baku final battle or something.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Next volume cover:

What an evil looking bunny.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I'm still hinging my bets on the series ending with deku ultimately giving one for all to all for one and it just turns out to be too much power and he explodes or something. Or melts down into a glowing baby and the villain gets his redemption/saved moment by being reborn as a glowing, innocent, child.

Yeah, I was thinking something like One For All and All for One cancelling out mathematically and just leaving the person completely quirkless.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Curious openly says "wow why are you so good at fighting given you were a non hero high schooler". So I'm guessing there's a reason.

....it isn't going to be an evolution of her ability that she obtains, like the skills of the people she transforms into, is it?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's a proud superhero tradition.

In the corner: "his midget"

I....what is even the context?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I do like the reveal that he is not only the ultimate fail son, but also the explanation for why he's kept around despite being a gently caress-up wildcard. He's like a character with the berserk status: he may not listen to you, but at least you know he's going to take out a few of your enemies before he ultimately falls.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Murata tends to do an excellent job with One-Punch man. I never find myself puzzling out the action--in this, however, even with clean rips, I often get lost.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

I like Vigilantes (hell, I like C.C. and his arc), but I'm convinced the reason why it gets held up as better written by its fans is largely due to the way it is framed as a more "mature" manga, as well as certain other aspects that are designed to appeal to people who might have tired of the main manga, rather than any objective difference in quality. Its protagonist is in university, rather than high school. There is, in general, a larger focus on the non-mainstream, where as the main manga focuses pretty much exclusively on the top stars of the nation. People are more concerned with things like finding a job, or balancing hobbies with your goals in life, instead of fighting villains, or passing tests that are really just an excuse to have fight scenes.

Vigilantes doesn't compete with the main series. It relies on the main series for exposure. This is why a solid portion of the arcs in Vigilantes are centred around characters from the main manga, up to and including chapters that basically have no purpose apart from examining characters from the main series.

These factors combine to appeal directly to those who like the manga world but are tired of reading about teenagers going plus ultra. This in turn creates a sense of identity in a subgenre of the fans it appeals to. Vigilantes very consciously markets itself as an alternative view on the world of the manga. At its best, this means an examination of quirk prejudices in day to day life, instead of just the implications of a larger number of mutants being villains, or people actively looking to beat them up for being scary. At its worst, it leads to people saying that Koichi is just "better Deku" or Number 6 is "better Shigaraki" when those characters have very little in common beyond surface level traits.

Good God, why do people insist on creating a hypothesis about why other people enjoy something more than you do, and then make it into the crux of their argument? And why does their hypothesis always tend to miss the mark so hard?

I would feel a bit of cognitive dissonance declaring one manga more "mature" simply because its cast is generally older (and therefore have different day-to-day concerns), while, paragraphs earlier, comparing Captain Celebrity's arc to the "rape and murder man's" arc. My Hero Academia has explored a ton of dark elements, and those vastly overshadow the early part of the manga's levity and "teenagers going plus ultra." Vigilantes isn't exactly all cheery sunshine, but it has a much overall lighter tone and much smaller stakes.

They also mention "passing tests that are really just an excuse to have fight scenes" without considering the phrase "just an excuse to have fight scenes."

Overall, it's a really presumptuous and very irritating way frame why they don't like something more than another thing that other people like. We all like things for different reasons! It is okay not to agree with them, but you don't have create some grand rationalization for it--just accept it! No, don't explain to them why they're wrong, explain why YOU don't like it more.

I enjoy Vigilantes for a variety of reasons, and I have grown to like it more than MHA. I don't think MHA is bad, but I do have a lot of notes on how it could be improved!

Edit: Like, I LIKE the school setting, but it got abandoned a long time ago! We never got through a full year! Vigilante's Captain Celebrity and the whole music arc might as well have been about high schoolers!

Prowler fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 23, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Obtaining bullshit powerups in the middle of a battle due to the power of friendship, love, and from your mentor/sensei is like a triple shonen score, yes.

The issue for me isn't that the power-ups occurred. It's that they all occurred in the same battle that was already running long with ever-increasing scope and stakes. It gets a bit exhausting, and becomes less cool when you're saturated with upgrades.

Basically, I just have an issue with the pacing.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 25, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Lt. Lizard posted:

One of the big issues in Bleach had the exact same cause: the Shinigami Captains dominated the popularity pools, so the editors forced Kubo to shoehorn them into every arc, despite it usually making zero sense for them to be there. The whole "I intended to do *insert actually interesting and cool plot development* here, but the editors forced me to do something different based on popularity pools, so oh well" is eerily similar.

This sounds made up. It's not like he had a popular young Captain character reveal that his ultimate weakness, harped on throughout the story, doesn't actually kill him, but instead turns him into a super hot man who is ridiculously powerful and...

Oh. Never mind.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Rhonne posted:

I figured that panel was showing thst Dabi had a spark of humanity or goodness or whatever still in him and Shoto somehow got through to him.

This is the same thought I had, combined with the thinking it was a tear drop. Which would fit, as it is something he could supposedly never do.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If there is such a thing as quirk ghosts, is murking a quirk basically shooting a ghost?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Sign me up as another person who is annoyed with waiting for Naruto and Goku to show up.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Can we not do spoilers for other manga in this thread?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the issue here is that "isn't realistic" isn't the same as "poo poo writing.' If something is trying to be realistic then yes, it's a flaw if it isn't, but fiction as a whole generally isn't concerned with that unless it is an explicit point it is concerned with that. Especially superhero and shonen media are far more interested in the emotional logic of something than the actual logic.

The cinemasins style of "(x) sucks because (y) thing isn't realistic" is meaningless because they are not trying to write something realistic. That doesn't mean you can't complain about plot points but when you reach the level of "Well this character CLEARLY should have died of sepsis" when you're discussing a franchise where people punch each other in the face/set each other on fire/stab each other on a regular basis without people dying instantly it's pretty silly.

The issue, for me, is that MHA initially established itself as a super hero comic with a side of realism: quirks have actual side effects on the human body because the human body wasn't designed or them. Using your quirk lowers your intelligence, or messes with your digestive system, can destroy your body if you use even 50% of your power, destroys your mental health, etc. Aside from violating the laws of physics/chemistry/biology, the quirks themselves were still just physical in nature: some change in your body that allows your body to do something it normally couldn't. Using quirks--and especially overusing them--had dire and potentially deadly consequences.

The narrative is slowly removing those consequences (if you lose your powers, we'll just rewind them. If you heart explodes, we'll just rebuild it), draining what little tension there was, and renders certain plot points pointless. Sure, we're at the point where we have quirk ghosts and a dude who can shoot out an unlimited amount of organic matter from his body that is somehow not a quirk, does not have any drawbacks, and this is WITH all of his other powers suppressed.

But it feels disingenuous to say "duh it's not realistic, it's a comic" when the comic itself was trying to go in a quasi-realistic path. And it's even more understandable to have that reaction when the realism is dropped to serve a plot problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place. No one would be complaining about an exploded heart being rebuilt being unrealistic if the author, for some reason, didn't feel it necessary to add that plot beat in the first place.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

Gentle is my favorite MHA arc. I'm not sure if that says something about MHA or me or both.

The Gentle arc was more or less the last time the story really focused on stakes related to the school, not the students or society at large. It is literally a "oh no, our school festival will get ruined unless we do something!", relatively low-stakes story that you would expect from this manga if you read from the beginning. No one dies if Gentle succeeds. It would just make a lot of people very unhappy.

Perhaps that's part of it?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Dr. Stone's ending isn't very good imo but the ride was great either way

Did you read the follow-up issue that came out a few months later? It gave it a much more rounded ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Animated image Description: Troy arrives with pizza only to find all of his friends from school in agony and everything on fire.