Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Just got completely caught up with the manga. My God, what a great series. I'm sure it's blasé by now to compare this to other shounen series, but I really hope this doesn't pull a Naruto and go to hell. It's way past Bleach already, at least. Bleach got bad fast but Naruto was pretty good up until Kaguya, which is really late.

C'mon, MHA, stick the landing!

Anyway, I need some MHA merchandise bad. C'mon, S.H. Figuarts of Deku and All-Might! Followed by alternate P.E. uniform Deku, Iida, and Kacchan in series 2, then Ochako, and Deku's new costume in wave 3 with a limited articulation skeletal All-Might, then Todoroki, Aizawa and Tokoyami in wave 4, then Shiragaki and the first Noumu...gently caress. Maybe they shouldn't make merch. I'd be broke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I mean, the Jiraiya/Pain stuff was great, Shikamaru's fight with Hidan ruled, Madara getting a woody (heh) from fighting Hashirama was good, Gai/Kisame...There were definite high points in part 2, and taken as a whole rather than week to week, I liked it. I am pretty easy to please, though.

Anyway, gimme my MHA toys, drat it!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss. This is what I've been waiting for.

We need optional angry face, and optional "BOOBS :stare:" face.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is...is this still the MHA thread? I have no loving idea what anyone is talking about.

I was talking to a friend who just finished catching up with the series, and we both lamented that AFO and All-Might didn't get to go all out in their fight because they were both still hosed up from the fight six years ago.

Then I remembered that usually the mentor characters in these types of stories always get nerfed or weakened before they ever get to show their full strength.

I hope we get a flashback to the original fight that left All-Might hosed up, because I'm sure it was amazing.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Gyges posted:

If she learns how to do magic, she's also going to have to get the Support Department to make her the greatest sword Japan has ever created.

M-Masamune?!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Can the series use that awesome jazz for everything from now on? Kthx

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I really want to see what Yoarashi (wind guy) can do. I think wind powers are underrepresented in fiction, and they're often cool as heck (sorry for cursing.)

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

chumbler posted:

You should watch Tiger and Bunny if you have not. My friend Sky High has wind powers.

Am I a bad person if I couldn't get over all of the logos in Tiger and Bunny? I actually liked the first few episodes I saw, and I like the character designs, but all of the logos messed with my head somehow. It made the designs too busy or something?

Also, the blonde main character dude seemed like such a douche.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I get the whole NASCAR thing, but it looks too busy. Makes it hard to focus on the action. I'll probably give it another shot, though. Not like there's anything else to watch once Mob is done for the season, besides JoJo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Mineta owns so much, :drat:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Silver2195 posted:

I think that in-universe, Martian Manhunter is more the #2 hero than Batman is. Batman shouldn't really be fighting guys like Zod, Bizarro, and Doomsday anyway.

Is MM even around after New 52? I thought he got replaced by Cyborg in the Justice League, which was essentially the only book in which MM appeared.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Nobody is Sasuke. Todoroki is cool. Bakugou is cool. Iida is cool. Tsuyu is cool. Tokoyami is cool. Ochako is cool. Sero is cool. Kaminari is cool. YaoMomo is cool. Deku is cool. Mineta is cool. Mina is cool.

That was more just me practicing remembering all their names. I failed. :negative:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Deku is Pansage.

Endeavor is Emboar.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Pansage/Simisage are fine. They are more than adequate enough to take through the full game in Black and White.

- Seed Bomb
- Crunch
- Brick Break
- Filler (Acrobatics, or Leech Seed, or Rock Slide, or Dig)

They have great speed and decent attack/special attack.

Plus, loving look at it. Looks just like Deku.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Actually Deku as Pansage is perfect, because both are perfect

:yeah::agreed::hfive:

Also, thinking on it, All-Might should be Braviary!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love byakugan

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Lay off the art. Yes, it's rough in a couple of places, but manga artists are on such a ridiculous schedule that the fact that 15/19 pages of this are amazing quality is a major feat already.

In any case, I didn't expect this next arc to ramp up quite so quickly. Deku also mentions his "long" internship. I'm guessing this will be a lengthy arc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think that noticing it and commenting on it is one thing that's to be expected, sure, but it's another to say that it means the manga is on the decline in any way. These guys have such nutso schedules that things like this are inevitable and the fact it took three years for cracks to show is more impressive than anything.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This gave me chills. That good kind.

Also this. Maybe black Clover will do the same. Just ... take a week and build up a buffer, guys.

How is Black Clover? Is it basically the new Naruto? Is there an anime in the works?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I watched the anime before I read the manga, so I guess I wouldn't know any better, but I didn't feel the first season was too slow or anything.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

PMush Perfect posted:

It is really hard to tell even a little bit of what's going on here, this fight choreography is a mess.

:agreed: It was rough. I hope Horikoshi is alright. The guy should take a drat month off, not barely a week.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is a better translation for the chapter.

Edit forgot to post it

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/boku-no-hero-academia/en/0/141/page/1

Yeah, this is much cleaner than the one I read this morning. Makes a lot more sense now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Deku's going to lose OFA somehow, but he's spent his whole life studying quirks and devising tactics that he'll become the founder and Batman figure of the MHA universe's version of the Justice League.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
PSA that Figma Deku is loving awesome.

https://imgbb.com/

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
As a 90s kid, I grew up watching a ton of super hero and action stuff. X-Men, Spider-Man, Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, etc. and I loved all of it. But Batman and Dragon Ball were always my favorites, and I could never narrow down why exactly.

Sure, I loved all of the Marvel movies as they came out, and I was really into Naruto for a long time, but Batman and Goku were always my favorite heroes, despite sharing almost no similarities.

After really getting into this series, and One-Punch Man, I instantly grew fond of Deku and Saitama in a way I hadn't since Batman and Goku. They all have reasons to like them of course, but none of them seemed to really overlap with my other favorites. Then I found that what links them all is that they all had to work really hard to be able to do what they do, even if in Saitama's case it's played for laughs, and in Goku's case, he was a space alien.

Superman, Genos, and Bakugo have basically every advantage over normal guys, so while it can be viscerally fun to watch them beat bad guys, it always feels like it's a bit unearned, even when they're beating people above their weight class power-wise.

Conversely, Deku had to earn the right to receive OFA by being a genuinely good person first, and then train intensely to even be capable, and then train even more so he doesn't die every time he uses it. It makes for such a compelling character and finally helped me put a finger on why these certain characters have always been my favorites.

While I can still enjoy a story about someone gifted with powers or born with powers if it's told well, I'll always gravitate towards those guys who have to bust their butts to compete.

On a related note, every revelation about Naruto and his lineage/powers made me like him less and less. There's a reason Rock Lee was so beloved well after he was relevant.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Thing is, Spider-Man's often played as an underdog, right? But the thing is, he can bench press 10 tons and got that way with zero effort. It's not just the underdog aspect, especially because in more recent stuff they just keep adding more gadgets and advantages to him.

Deku, Saitama, Batman, Goku and Rock Lee had to bust their butts to even be considered underdogs rather than just laughing stocks. (Though Goku's role as an underdog definitely fluctuates dramatically at times)

Dunno. I know that was an embarrassing number of words to say something so simple, but it's been something I've been pondering for a while and has made me reevaluate what I look for in storytelling.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Neo_Crimson posted:

Spider-Man is an underdog because one of the main themes of his character is that his superpowers don't actually make his life any better. His job constantly puts him in danger, ruins his relationships, inadvertently harms his loved ones, and is often hated by the city he serves.

Oh, most definitely, and that's my favorite part of his character, but in terms of battles, he's pretty powerful even compared to most of his rogues...and that was all pure coincidence.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Mineta (who looks most like a baby) will shoot Destro by accident to complete the Mr. Burns comparisons.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So what are the odds on Eraser and Mic's friend being sent to the same hospital that gave Deku the quirkless prognosis? Has it been but stated that AFO's doctor and Deku's is the same guy?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I hope Deku really was quirkless and it wasn't the doctor playing some shady game for some reason. It'll be real dumb if Midoriya ends up related to the original OFA holder so Deku *also* has some otherwise undetectable quirk that will end up making him the strongest OFA user of all time or some poo poo. Technically the only proof of Deku's quirklessness would be the foot x-ray which could easily be faked by the doctor, which is what has me worried.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Rand Brittain posted:

The League of Evil offers Mirio his quirk back if he joins them, confident that no one could possibly turn this down. The Justice League orders Mirio to take the deal, eager to get a mole in the enemy's camp.

This leads to a wacky comedy arc because Mirio Togata is the world's worst mole and cannot pretend to be evil for poo poo. The League keeps trying to bring him over to the dark side, but when he can't make himself do any "fun" crimes they wind up trying to peer pressure him into things like "jaywalking" and "kissing a girl." He is unable to do those either.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Horikoshiis obsessed with Spider-Man and Venom, so as soon as black whip showed up, I knew exactly where it was going.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
B-but...Saitama Caped Baldy doesn't have hair! :ohdear:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Whoever said Float seems redundant is right. But is there anything more than just wishful thinking behind the theory that Deku will be giving away his quirks?

Great chapter. It's always nice seeing the students hanging out and having fun.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Lord_Magmar posted:

Anyway if someone named/important is dying to Shigaraki it's probably Endeavour, and I'm not even sure about that.

Nah. He'll probably die, but not before doing just enough to get into his kids' good graces for them to become really upset. He's not quite there yet.

Though I'm firmly in the camp that he's an irredeemable piece of poo poo, but YMMV.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now you all got me looking up All Might and he's 7'2

:eyepop:

Does Horikoshi take request? I wonder if someone could ask him for a character height comparison.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Thank you, but huh, never figured Aizawa being that tall.

It's the perpetual slouch

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just watched the Heroes Rising movie, and boy...that sure was...awful? I mean, most of it was fine. But the asspull at the end...yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The scarf is confirmed to be Gran Torino's. :cry: