Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I predict this will be a partial success (to put it in TTRPG terms), and buy them some time. My assumption is Momo & co will temporarily stop Gigantomachia, make the League stop and fight the heroes for a few minutes, then Gigantomachia will wake up again and they'll end up escaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Nephthys posted:

I saw this pointed out but if anyone is still wondering if OfA can stay a secret after this, Bakugo flat out told everyone that Deku is controlling multiple quirks right now. I think its officially out of the bag.

I think it's becoming less likely that there's going to be a second year for 1A.

A handful of people know - it's not like any of this is being broadcast to the other heroes, let alone the public.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think they might keep it secret - at least until they've had an opportunity to hear a proper explanation from Deku and/or All Might.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Fabricated posted:

Is there a way that we can have the real villain be from the moon?

AFO has actually been responsible for keeping the number of humans with quirks below a certain threshold. With him and Shiggy defeated, humanity hits that threshold. Anti-quirk aliens send swarms of super-advanced drones from their moon base to kill everyone. They also possess Ochako just to be dicks.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Fabricated posted:

Eri's power is a limited resource that takes time to recharge. So if she fixes someone or brings someone back from the dead she can't just immediately do so again.

After the battle is over and everyone's picking up the pieces, Mirio arrives on scene...

"Hey everyone! Eri restored my quirk, though it's going to be months before she can do anything like that again. Wait, what happened to Deku?"

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Gonna be fun to see All Might fighting again.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Machia is like Bowser or that one guy off of Kill La Kill where their size is constantly inconsistent.

Not inconsistent - he's consistently been growing bigger throughout the series. The question is, can he stop growing or is his quirk just constant growth until he dies? I could definitely see AFO "saving" someone from that quirk and then weaponising it by gifting it to a faithful, quirkless disciple.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's also shrunk, I think Gigantomachia's basic quirk is literally just the ability to grow as huge as necessary, and that quirk led to a robust body that allows him to host multiple other quirks physically, if at the cost of some amount of mental stability/capability.

When did he shrink?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
It's already been touched on, but saving Toga doesn't mean forgiving her or letting her go free. It means getting through to her, showing her a new path where she takes responsibility, seeks help, tries to atone and be a better person.

Edit: Not entirely dissimilar to how Endeavour is actively trying to be a better person and atone for the damage he did to his family.

jassa fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 3, 2020

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rhonne posted:

I like how, even though we have all this backstory now, there's still some very important information we're missing. Namely, what exactly happened the day of the "accident"? How did Touya/Dabi survive? How did he get away without anyone noticing? Who's jawbone is that?

Pretty sure it's his jawbone.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Nonexistence posted:

Kubo was an artist in need of a writer, in essence that explains all of Bleach's problems

Wasn't there also a thing where he wouldn't use assistant artists? I heard that was why his characters were often fighting in big, empty, featureless spaces. Or in the sky.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Vinylshadow posted:

Was certainly nice seeing the heroes work like a well-oiled machine, even after Shigaraki woke up and Machia started rampaging

Not holding my breath for the anime to expand on the offscreen fights either

It may be tricky to keep this arc within a single season as it is.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Ah so Tartarus is Impel Down, got it.

Piss-poor imitation of Impel Down. But yeah, the similarity (in description at least) occurred to me too.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Wasn't it mentioned recently that a large number of Hero Commission board members were missing/injured/dead? The Commission might be... out of commission for the near future.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Assuming AFO is removed from Shiggy at some point, there's a fairly easy way to effectively depower him of his Decay quirk. Just get Aizawa to cut off a finger or two!

...though let's face it, if AFO leaves Shiggy he's probably taking Decay with him.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'd vote for the same rules as in the One Piece thread - no spoilers at all until the scanlation comes out, then spoilers remain tagged until the official release.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
It'll be interesting to see how the anime-only watchers react to MVA. It's a great arc, but could feel like a bait & switch for those who have been eagerly anticipating a full season focused on the protagonists.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wouldn't Midnight be completely ineffective during that test?

Especially these days.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
All Might should ride a horse enhanced by Hatsume's support items.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm not really understanding what the 3rd's quirk is here. Hopefully the proper translation explains it better.

From the looks of it, Deku can take objects he's been wearing recently and turn them into decoys of himself.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rhonne posted:

It looked like he was using Black Whip to throw out the cape and other items as decoys.

Perhaps - there were definitely shadowy figures accompanying each of the four decoy objects. I assumed they were part of the Third's quirk but yeah they may well have been Black Whip combined with it.

Speaking of which, I can't figure out what one of the objects was. First was the cape, then backpack, mask and...?

jassa fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 21, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

CuwiKhons posted:

If Fa Jin is simply "very precise control over the degree of strength you use" then it seems more like Deku's been using Fa Jin all along. I mean, I'm not a particularly strong person but I don't know how I'd precisely calculate how to use even 50% of strength, much less 5% and then increasing it in degrees to 8% or 15% or something like that.

I don't think he's been using it all along, but I do think his own attempts to learn precise control are why he was able to use Fa Jin so well with his first attempt.

To use TTRPG terminology, this is analogous to him getting magical equipment which maxes out an ability he already had skill points in.

Given they've stated it's difficult to use multiple quirks simultaneously, Deku's own trained skill won't be for nothing - he'll still rely on that when he's already using multiple other quirks and doesn't have capacity to throw Fa Jin into the mix.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

christmas boots posted:

It’s more like a sudden and explosive amount of force, so maybe the quirk lets him charge up energy before he releases it?

Someone earlier used the phrase "delayed explosion of strength" and I know it's not what they meant, but I briefly envisioned Deku being able to apply force to an object and then release it after a brief delay - not unlike how the stasis ability works in Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Do we know whether One for All hosts are still able to use their original quirks after passing the power on? I figure they'd at least have them during the transition period, but unsure whether they'd retain their own quirk after that...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

GuyUpNorth posted:

Aging was just first of potential "overlocking" effects we are aware of. By now probably nobody with existing quirk can handle OfA, not even Machia.

Should be renamed 'One for Few' imo.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

oh jay posted:

The Sludge villain from the very first chapter did a smash and grab on convenience store seemingly with no major injuries.

Shigaraki had no conviction in that speech he gave at USJ, but he wasn't completely off base in saying that All Might beats people up to enforce society's status quo.

By the time All Might caught up with him and was in a position to try to stop/arrest him, he was suffocating and trying to hijack Deku.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Lt. Lizard posted:

The whole thing with Midnight is extremely weird because you had a shitload of heroes last seen in far direr situations (like being in the middle of advancing decay wave with no obvious means of escape) than Midnight, but they all miraculously survive, while Midnight dies. :shrug:

It really does feel like the author just went "I need to kill off a notable character to demonstrate how real poo poo is getting" and Midnight was one of the few he didn't have anything planned for later in the series.

Also, I don't know why y'all are using spoiler tags for events from months ago.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Oh no, they're all dead. (Edit: Actually it looks like Deku may have been the only one to go inside. Oh, and Endeavour.)

I really appreciated Deku giving Chisaki hell for wanting to apologise to his old boss but still feeling no remorse towards Eri. But even if he redeemed himself, apologised and she restored his arms... there's no way All for One didn't take his quirk, right?

Some great and intense masked-Deku faces in the latter half of this chapter. Goddamn.

Loved the callback to "You're next!" too!

jassa fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 11, 2021

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I just realised while re-reading from where the anime is up to, but the mansion featured in this chapter is the same one the League of Villains cleared out at the start of MVA (Ch. 220). Cool timing that it reappears in the manga within a couple of weeks of first appearing in the anime!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

That's the same place Spinner cleared out, right?

They all did. Chapter 220.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Midoriya isn’t being very heroic right now so I would say the latter

Depends on your perspective. You could say Deku is being extremely heroic - he's rescuing people and fighting villains completely selflessly, with little thought to his own needs and wellbeing.

I kinda want Stain to step in and be a voice of reason here, tell him he's taking it too far.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

a.lo posted:

Please eat your lunch

Okay I changed my mind this is what I want Stain to confront Deku about.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

That's not how I remember the Great Deku Tree looking...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Sad Man's Parade or riot.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

It's weird as hell cause the cold opener is the end of MVA, like why? From where the anime is at to before the raid is about 15 chapters, so I don't see them skipping MVA unless they slow the pace way the gently caress down or we get a full on filler arc.

Perhaps they're planning on doing MVA as a separate short-run OVA series type thing in between S5 and S6? That would be be really unusual though.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Supersonic Shine posted:

First Deku turns into a shadow demon and now Bakugo doesn't look like he's about to murder somebody. Things really are going topsy-turvy.

Eagerly awaiting a scene of Bakugo over-analysing a situation while muttering to himself.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Rhonne posted:

Deku will be defeated when Class A give him a big group hug.

Foreshadowing that One For All can be defeated by All (of his friends) For One (Deku).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
For folks who don't like or care about Mineta, y'all sure are devoting a lot of time to *gestures vaguely* this.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
They've weakened the impact of this upcoming arc by revealing some of the reveals & outcomes ahead of time. It feels wrong to do that when you're making a 1:1 adaptation of an existing story (with possible exceptions if it's done to improve the story's pacing, which this wasn't).

This was always going to be a weak season but messing with the order and front-loading the season with all the slower/weaker arcs (plus filler!) can't have been good for keeping people engaged with the series.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Well, MVA has finally started in the anime. They took the laziest path possible re: changing the opening sequence (the title card briefly changes to "My Villain Academia") and for whatever reason they cut the first couple of scenes of Ch 220 which establish the LoV as being dirt poor and lacking direction, just scraping by from day to day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Larryb posted:

Did they have anyone from the LoV take over the opening and preview narration or is it still Deku?

They didn't have opening narration. Preview narration was still Deku.