Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Dalael posted:

I put little faith in a study about a hypothetical virus that creates zombies. But for the sake of argument, I think it would depend a lot on the types of zombies. If we're talking 28 Days later zombies, we're hosed. If we're talking Walking Dead zombies.. i'm not so sure.

It doesn't matter if it's a silly fantasy virus, the point is that the victims spread it compulsively. Like, if Ebola made people want to do nothing but walk around sneezing on strangers.

Not to mention, it doesn't take much to seriously disrupt our modern, complicated society. I would imagine that people who starved to death or fell in a well or died when they ran out of diabetes medicine or whatever would exceed the number of people who were bitten by zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I've been catching up with S4 and S5 recently and absolutely loving hated Eugene. His little bit driving the van while that death metal rages and he goads on the walkers in S5E14 redeemed him.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAYiBCt3ok

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

How can anyone hate Eugene??

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Eugene is great. This show desperately needs moments of levity and humor, and Eugene provides that every time he's on screen

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Surlaw posted:

How can anyone hate Eugene??

He broke Rick's favorite CD. It was a mix of Taylor Swift's greatest music.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I've been catching up with S4 and S5 recently and absolutely loving hated Eugene. His little bit driving the van while that death metal rages and he goads on the walkers in S5E14 redeemed him.

I had no idea techno sounded like death metal! Also Eugene owns.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

We interviewed a guy for a helpdesk job the other day. He had a demeanor and speech cadence exactly like Eugene. Part of me wanted to hire him just for that but he had no mullet. So sorry, weirdo southern drawl kid.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I thought the Teaser was incredibly good at evoking an existential dread of what we don't know yet.

'Dread the Walking Dead'

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

cjg posted:

We interviewed a guy for a helpdesk job the other day. He had a demeanor and speech cadence exactly like Eugene. Part of me wanted to hire him just for that but he had no mullet. So sorry, weirdo southern drawl kid.

Should have hired him and mandate in his contract that he grow and maintain a mullet

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Should have hired him and mandate in his contract that he grow and maintain a mullet

Tennessee Tophat

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1UPrFXHKA

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDxew5SguVw

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anyone else completely and utterly underwhelmed?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It'll be cool to see the initial outbreak and collapse of civilization but that can only last a season as most.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wait, in that Season 6 trailer did we see Tara get taken down and eaten?

It also appears that Rick is attempting to give the citizens some Zombie lessons that go pear-shaped.

Oh and in the Fear the Walking Dead trailer the teenage son is already super annoying and I want him to die

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deakul posted:

Anyone else completely and utterly underwhelmed?

I think in terms of cinematography it looks more interesting than TWD, but yeah this looks like the definition of an unnecessary spin-off. But hey, I wouldn't be hard for this show to end up being better than its parent so I hope they're at least trying.

SaltLick posted:

It'll be cool to see the initial outbreak and collapse of civilization but that can only last a season as most.

I wouldn't be surprised if every bit of footage in that trailer is from the pilot alone. It would probably be way too expensive to have the fall of civilization spread out over the whole season.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

So Rick goes even more off his rocker and becomes a villain?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

KilGrey posted:

So Rick goes even more off his rocker and becomes a villain?

I'm not all caught up with the source material but if they're sticking more closely to it from now on (which I may have read somewhere or may have just made up in my head) it's a fake-out where he pretends to be working for the new Big Bad in order to infiltrate and take him down, and only a couple of people know about it to give it plausibility. I don't know if it works in the end but needless to say it does cause problems and trust issues with the people not in the know.

Of course, it might be a double-fakeout for the comic readers and he might actually go bad in the series
so who knows...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

"I can stop rick" gently caress you Morgan wandering kung-fu master. Rick has been one of the only sane people on the show since he's turned evilish.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You can be a good character, or you can be competent. Morgan will change his mind or pay the price.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
After watching the Fear the Walking Dead teaser and the Walking Dead trailer I can surmise that the humans can run but the people that have tattered clothing can only walk?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wait, in that Season 6 trailer did we see Tara get taken down and eaten?

It also appears that Rick is attempting to give the citizens some Zombie lessons that go pear-shaped.

I don't think that's who you think it is. I paused and I'm 99% sure you mistook them for a redshirt likely put in the trailer with a similar look to make you think that at a glance.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

moist turtleneck posted:

After watching the Fear the Walking Dead teaser and the Walking Dead trailer I can surmise that the humans can run but the people that have tattered clothing can only walk?

Yes, zombies are often The Poor.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Prediction: Everybody but one person dies and joins the main show when it turns out to be damaging to the brand, while AMC claims it was meant as a one shot.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

SaltLick posted:

I think this is about the only reason to watch the spin-off, but there's a reason most zombie fiction skips that part, because it's hard to make it make sense. So, fingers crossed.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Iowa Snow King posted:

I think this is about the only reason to watch the spin-off, but there's a reason most zombie fiction skips that part, because it's hard to make it make sense. So, fingers crossed.

That's one thing that Walking Dead got right, logistically - rather than have it be transmissable only by bite, make it an airborne virus so that anyone who dies becomes a zombie. Impossible to contain that way, unless people figure it out REALLY early in multiple places. Otherwise it becomes overwhelming, and fast.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shooting Blanks posted:

That's one thing that Walking Dead got right, logistically - rather than have it be transmissable only by bite, make it an airborne virus so that anyone who dies becomes a zombie. Impossible to contain that way, unless people figure it out REALLY early in multiple places. Otherwise it becomes overwhelming, and fast.

One thing that will be interesting is will they retcon the plague? In the beginning of the show, it seemed most people died of the plague. There were thousands of dead bodies everywhere, in cars and houses, most had just died of sickness. It was only after the CDC that it shifted so that "everyone who dies inevitably becomes a zombie unless they have a bullet in their brain."

People getting sick and just dying of the plague without turning should be a huge part of the fall of society.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shooting Blanks posted:

To be fair, Dawn of the Dead is the one that kind of clarified this rule of how Romero zombies work, but misconceptions / other zombie movies have blurred it.

i.e. "The bite does not turn you. The bite kills you. It's just that anyone who dies, now, comes back." Walking Dead is using that (quite good) rule, but it didn't create it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Blazing Ownager posted:

To be fair, Dawn of the Dead is the one that kind of clarified this rule of how Romero zombies work, but misconceptions / other zombie movies have blurred it.

i.e. "The bite does not turn you. The bite kills you. It's just that anyone who dies, now, comes back." Walking Dead is using that (quite good) rule, but it didn't create it.

Wasn't aware of this, cool.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I actually disagree. Night of the Living Dead is really clear that all the recently dead are being reanimated. Then there is the girl who was bit and was slowly dying. Dawn of the Dead wasn't very direct with all recently dead coming back, but laid it pretty hard on the bites being deadly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So season 6 will be a bunch of town hall meetings, I am so loving psyched you don't even know.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully there will be a picture-in-picture that just has a livestream of Dr. McMullet tinkering with legos the whole time to keep me entertained

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually disagree. Night of the Living Dead is really clear that all the recently dead are being reanimated. Then there is the girl who was bit and was slowly dying. Dawn of the Dead wasn't very direct with all recently dead coming back, but laid it pretty hard on the bites being deadly.

It still makes sense that the bites don't turn you, they just kill you. A living person's mouth is filled with all kinds of nasty bacteria that will gently caress you up. Now add in that the biter is a rotting corpse being consumed by bacteria and the bites they dish out are often massive chunks. You're super hosed from infection if that's the case, and that's what ends up killing you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually that season 6 trailer reminded me of the worst and most boring parts of BSG :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Granted my exposure to zombie stuff is pretty limited, but is this distinction ever meaningful? I can't think of any time in a zombie show / movie where someone got bit and like, found some antibiotics and didn't turn into a zombie.

I honestly had no idea that the bite itself wasn't supposed to be able to turn people; I guess I always assumed it worked both ways. Doing stuff like cutting off people's limbs when they get bit very much makes it seem like the bite itself is to blame, even though it does also make sense from a "stop this from getting infected" standpoint.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Granted my exposure to zombie stuff is pretty limited, but is this distinction ever meaningful? I can't think of any time in a zombie show / movie where someone got bit and like, found some antibiotics and didn't turn into a zombie.
I think 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later, there are people who are immune and don't turn into zombies, but will be come carriers nonetheless. Also, in the video game The Last of Us, the main girl is immune (lol, just in case).

I don't think most movies use the "no matter how you die, you come back as a zombie" rule, do they?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Iowa Snow King posted:

This is really one of my favorite parts of zombie apocs, the initial collapse. So I'm glad this is going to cover that and hopefully it lasts more than a couple episodes. Anything that's less family drama is good.

I've also been a fan of Kim Dickens since Deadwood and am kinda hoping this turns out well.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crows Turn Off posted:

I think 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later, there are people who are immune and don't turn into zombies, but will be come carriers nonetheless. Also, in the video game The Last of Us, the main girl is immune (lol, just in case).

I don't think most movies use the "no matter how you die, you come back as a zombie" rule, do they?

While 99% of people don't realize it due to the way the plot's hidden around the game (and some extras) but also Left 4 Dead has the survivors being carriers; the reason our rescue vehicles always seem to crash or go bad is the players are infected the rescue; this is the cannon reason for the helicopter crash in No Mercy even though the unused in-game audio files suggest differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Figured it out. The kid in Fear the Walking Dead is just Carl before Rick catches up to him. The season ends on the second or third episode of the first season on The Walking Dead

• Locked thread