Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Surlaw posted:

That's stupid, find something better to do.

Counter point, Sunday nights are boring and there isn't anything better to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Outside of the unnecessary flashback scenes, this was a pretty good episode. The only one that worked for me this season so far. While I've gotten colder on Daryl, he's still better than anyone in the cast, and Carol is better than everyone in the cast. So we had some great little moments to enjoy.

Also.....ATLANTA(or where ever)! A real place! Well, for the most part. This episode had a budget, which was nice...but gently caress man, I'm gonna complain about the bad Action Essentials smoke insert shot when Daryl was burning the bodies. I mean, I understand permits, and places not wanting to set their roof on fire, but is it that hard to set up some smoke, and tilt the camera up? That was bad. But if it saved some dough and allowed us to go to a real location again, I'm, kinda alright with that.

Probably the only episode that slightly evoked that feeling I had when watching season 1. Good stuff, this episode.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Character dev is "boring", survivalism is "boring", stabby stabby zombieheads is "boring", what do you guys even want?

I want this show to have better, more interesting characters, and some nice visuals to play off of. I want some humor every once in a while (another good thing about this episode!!) I want more action, because like someone said in this thread, this show is really loving good at that. I want less stabby zombie stuff unless they're going to commit to a blood filled puppet. None of this digital action essentials garbage. Practical effects are about the best thing about this show.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 17, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jesus Christ this show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not so much bad physics, as it is bad editing and directing. And possibly writing too, if they wrote the scene that way. I mean, it's a cool way to for our heroes to escape, but the car was always going to flip on it's back, unless something broke from underneath it, and it just fell straight through.

And that makes it bad on a story telling level because they cared more about it being cool, rather than it being an organic addition to the story. Also add in the fake out(??) of the gurney in the van, which I thought for sure was setting up Carol's super sneak into the hospital...but nah. Just there because.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cingulate posted:

Does anybody know how they do the ruined city scenery? When looking out the window at a burned out city, is that just CGI?

Yeah. Just some layers over the plate shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barreft posted:

Wait are you saying this show isn't real, and we need to suspend belief in a zombie apocalypse?

Do you have ANY idea how serious a loving zombie apocalypse is?

How is that anyone's fault but your own?

You're right. I put the gurney there. It was me, all along.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

According to everyone, the show isn't about zombies you idiot. It's about the PEOPLES.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the problem is people are confusing 'suspending disbelief' to lazy hack directing. There's a major difference.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barreft posted:

because the law of physics doesn't take into account zombies... so like.. yeah. It's fiction. They can make up whatever physics they want, it's a comic book.

Are you bitching that Game of Thrones weather seasons last over decades?

No they loving can't. What the gently caress are you talking about? Just because you add one unrealistic thing, doesn't mean you get free reign to say gently caress everything and do what you want.

Unless you set it up from the start that the film/story/tv show IS unrealistic and not in any reality we can relate too. Then it's OK. But this show is set in our reality, it just happens to have zombies in it. And really dumb people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barreft posted:

Are you serious? It's a comic book. Xmen is set in our reality too. poo poo, all comics are now. Real world cities get destroyed by the Avengers but zombie comic book must fit our reality to the T or else.

You are literally the best parody of Walking Dead fans. I love you. :D

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Barreft posted:

I don't even really like the show. But I think it's more AMC doing the stupid half season. I didn't like when they split up Breaking Bad's last season either.

Oh, totally man. The Walking Dead should be only 6-10 episodes tops. The first season worked so much better that way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She should've been driving that van and been a villain on Big G's side. That would've been dope.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 18, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

It was good. I liked it.

But I constantly have to remind myself that this a TV show and if everybody in the show did everything smart then we wouldn't have much of a tv show.

Ehhh, no. This is a product written by people. They can make people incredibly smart and create tangible danger at the same time despite them. Instead of Bob investigating the bubble in the water, maybe he decides to stay far away from it. Which then leads him smack into another Zombie. You see? He did a smart thing, and also got punished for it. It's not hard. You play with the audience expectations.

Instead of people saying "Pff, I'd never do that! I would've done the opposite!" have the character do the opposite and then something terrible happens to them. That would be scary, because if that was you, you'd be dead or whatever.

It's why I liked the interaction with Carol and Daryl about killing that kid. Both sides make perfect sense. Don't know where I'd stand there. It was a nice little piece of conflicting ideology.

Also, doing an episode about a zombie's life wouldn't be a bad thing. It would be a nice break up from the story line, but it would have to be done early in the season. Any time after that it would feel tedious and dumb. Although, I think we're way too late on doing stuff like that, so I would say that boat has been missed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Parity warning posted:

Seeing a quick progression of some rando going from pre- to post-apocalypse, to dramatic adventures and narrowly escaping death numerous times, to being killed and turned into a zombie, to an ending with Rick unceremoniously knifing them in the head would be a pretty fun opening imo

It really would. It would change up the forumla, and even make you slightly, ever so slightly sympathetic to the zombies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wandle Cax posted:

It's actually really difficult and gets boring if a show attempts to have all plot, all the time. Viewers expect, and need, filler episodes.

What?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Half the story did have a connecting plot though. I think the problem with TWD filler and other show's filler is, they don't do anything interesting with it. Clear, I guess is good filler, because it's interesting and something does happen, while not locked into the plot of the show. But meandering through areas, talking about 'how it is' is pretty dull.

Maybe a whole episode dedicated to finding a Twinkie like Zombieland would be pretty fun. It's filler, but it's something. A bit of levity from all the doom and gloom.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 19, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah! That episode is great. It's really well shot, first off, and is just fun all the way through. Not to mention some incredible character bits from Cranston. It doesn't push the plot, but it pushes the characters in an interesting way. It's a unique episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think there are moments like that. The moonshine ep for instance. I don't think Sunday's was a filler ep. It definitely pushed plot, albeit incrementally.

Edit: also the cool thing about the fly ep is that it mirrored the internal conflict in walt, knowing that Jesse was skimming.

There are moments, and I agree they are quite nice when they come. I would call this episode filler, even though I found it to be a lot more watchable than most episodes, but only because the episode could've been boiled down to a minute long scene. "Look, there's the cops. Lets follow them. Oh they're in a hospital. Lets go"

They seem to stretch sequences that shouldn't last longer than a minute to 50, which is why people find them dull. As great as Fly was, it came during, I believe, the middle of the season, and where the plot was coasting before it spiked up the drama. So it worked. (at least for me, it worked. People do hate that episode) I remember really disliking TWD episode, 'Clear' because of where it was put. It was a few episodes away from the finale, and I was just ready to see all the events finally accumulate in the prison attack. That episode put the whole story on a grinding halt for me. I did rewatch it, and it is a good episode. I just think it was poorly placed. if that makes sense.

Same with the Governor two parter. That could've, and should've been one episode.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jake Armitage posted:

The fly episode of Breaking Bad was incredibly important to the plot. I think a lot of people didn't really understand that episode or why it had to happen.

Or maybe everyone's definition of "pushing the plot" is different. Sometimes, for me, busting through a giant roadblock is pushing the plot (the Fly episode). So is tying up a loose end, which is what I think the Clear episode was.

And if you want to clear the air after one character lets another character's girlfriend die, sometimes you have to spend an hour chasing a fly around the room.

This is true, sure. But for me, it more of a character thing than a plot thing. Jesse is the only one who really cared about Jane's story, and the plot didn't care that much about her either. It was too busy trying to deal with the Cousins and Gus and everything else in that season. It does stop the plot right in it's tracks to tell a character piece. Which can be great, if done right. It can also be boring as poo poo if it's done badly.

I don't think video games are to blame for people not wanting to be bored watching two characters walk and talk. People just like things to have a good pace to them. Breaking Bad is moving all the loving time. Every episode pushes the plot further and further. By the end, you are in an entirely new place then where you started. That's why people loved it. The Walking Dead stretches it's plot points out for a whole episode, and you don't feel like you got anywhere by the end. AMC is to blame for this, sure. But at the same time, the writers, at least by now, should know how to write these long seasons without adding episodes where literally nothing happens.

And nothing did happen in this episode. I'm sorry to say. You didn't learn anything you didn't already know. The plot ended exactly where it did a few weeks ago. That's a filler episode to me. You get some fun character bits, which is why I liked it...but like I said, what new thing did you learn about them? Carol is softening a little bit? Eh. Ehhh.

Bring back Frank Darabont.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were pretty great, actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

We'll just have to agree to disagree, there. We learned exactly how Carol ends up in the hospital, exactly who is with Daryl and why they're back at the church, and how their chase of the Grady Memorial car went down. we found out that Noah wasn't simply running away to save his own rear end, but that he in fact is willing to put himself in even greater jeopardy in order to attempt a solo rescue mission. We found out more about Carol's backstory with Ed & Sophia, and we got some insight into what happened to her after the banishment from last season. We got some really cool character moments from both Carol and Daryl (Daryl taking care of the shelter walkers for her, Carol's willingness to kill Noah for taking their weapons, and then her turn-around on it to save Daryl from going down the same path.) We returned to the streets of Atlanta for the first time in four seasons. Finally, they've set up the conflict that will likely come to a head on the mid-season finale.

That's pretty far from "nothing happening" for me. That fact that they showed little 5 second teasers that hinted at where Daryl and Carol are now doesn't make the episode showing how they got there filler.

Most of that is information I already knew, and information I didn't really need to know. I knew everything I need to about Carol and Ed. I know her whole arc because I've seen it. I didn't need to see Carol's banishment because ultimately, it was better not seeing it, and using your imagination. Daryl and Carol heading up to the hospital is a 2 minute scene. I might give you the Noah stuff, but only because I don't care at all about him, but he's a new character so I'll cut him some slack. Like I said, I liked the episode. But for me, not much happened that I didn't already know about. A slight change in Carol's character isn't really worth 50 minutes of set up tbh.

But one thing I love about this show, and it's fans is, if you find something boring, it's because there wasn't any action, not because you found the story, plot, characters uninteresting. You can't ever have a conflicting opinion about the show without being a big ol dumb dumb person who 'stabby stabby'. I really hate the stabby stabby in this show now, because that means a lot of boring digital blood plug ins. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Enderzero posted:

So would you have enjoyed this episode more if they didn't have the cliffhanger with Daryl bringing someone out of the bushes? It sounds like since you already know how things ended up due to an earlier episode that you don't care any more how they got there.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, I know they're going to show up, and a little cold opening showing that would be perfectly fine. I don't need much else. Or if they wanted to show that, at least end on the raid or whatever Daryl is up too.

And people would totally say "show don't tell" because that would be bullshit. BUT, you don't have to spend 50 minutes setting up that she gets hit by a car. Simple minute long scene would suffice.

COLD OPEN.

"Carol look, that's the Hospital where Beth might be hiding."

"OK. Lets go."

Carol runs across the road and his hit by a car, snatched up and taken away.

Daryl looking scared, confused, and angry. Cue Walking Dead opening titles.

Bam! That whole episode, in less than a minute.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 21, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Borrowed Ladder posted:

How's your lovely episode, dude?

It's pretty dope.

Also, can someone explain why all Walking Dead fans act the same way to criticism? Everywhere I've gone I see the same reactions to any contraction opinion. "Like you can do better. :smug:" "What, not enough EXPLOSIONS FOR YOUUU!!??? :smug:" "What do you have ADD or somethinn :smug:"

The show cannot do any wrong! The show is life!

And hanging out with Daryl and Carol is cool. It's why this episode was goodish.

But I don't see what's so not serious about wanting the show to get some better pacing and get to the drat point, instead of being a slow burn for 50 minutes. Slow burns are cool, but not all the time.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 21, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We are the sulking dead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm taking this as a sign that we should maybe say good bye to Daryl. Inbound fan rage.

I'm hoping for this. Norman Reedus is a good actor, but Daryl isn't fun for me to watch any more.

Let him go on to do cooler things.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 1, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was some Mist ending poo poo. I loved it. I didn't see it coming, I'll be honest. I thank the fans talking about Daryl possibly dying for making me not think Beth could bite it.

But mannn she bit it hard. I laughed. She won't be missed. Not the actresses fault though. Or maybe it is. Not sure. But not a character that was worth setting up a whole half of season for her death.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're gonna meet, and probably have to dedicate more of the show's budget to paying the actor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's funny because none of that is subtext. it's all text.

It's also funny Beth couldn't stab her in the eye or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think anyone checks it directly, but if you have TWD liked, you'd see that post if you opened it. Although, you shouldn't go on the internet at all until you finish the episode, but whatever. It's still kinda lovely.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Dutch/Canted/Raimi angles were the best thing about this episode. And I mean that. That's some pro direction there. Visually telling you poo poo is about to go bad without anyone saying or doing anything to imply it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was pretty boring. Off camera and overly sappy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GrAviTy84 posted:

um, Carol? Andrea at times? Maggie? Michonne?

Carol and Michonne. Maggie is competent, but pretty useless as a character who brings something to the table.

Although, I'd like to see a woman who's strong without being :black101:. Carol is pretty close to that, but she's also a badass too. Honestly, she's the only character with a real arc in this show, so people calling for her blood are pretty dumb.

Carl started to have an arc, but they seemed to drop that for some reason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So happy it was a practical squib instead of some lovely action essential blood plug in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SBJ posted:

Eh I really can't stand her. I'm not into the whole "tragic, angry, emotional mom" story arcs. I really can't seem to give a poo poo about her or her dumb past. I similarly never gave a poo poo about Laurie or any of the children.

I'd rather watch Rick descend into madness.

I would too, if it meant more "Stuff n Thangs".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol if you think that the dot on her head was an entry wound.

But the problem with this scene is they went style over logic. Which is fine, I guess. They wanted a big WHA-BAM moment that you didn't see coming. But they should've still filmed a small moment of Dawn pulling out the gun, or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's no way. I mean, I do think most of the writers on this show are pretty dumb, and the production crew doesn't understand basic physics...but there's no way they wanted you to think that. It's just a dot of blood. From whatever. Maybe from another take? Maybe from a deleted scene, maybe from who knows.

But if someone can confirm this, then this show will truly be dumber than any TV show on right now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Unless this is a cheap dumb horror film for teens, most people like it when characters are as smart as they think they are. It makes them more relatable to the audience.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene was style over logic. And that sometimes is perfectly fine. But it sticks out in this show because it's mostly shot fairly generically if not just competent. I really liked the trade scenes because they were stylistically different from anything this show has done. And also, perfect use of dutch angles. Which I do love very much.

If this show was a little more visually interesting, and sometimes a bit more outlandish, people wouldn't have had a problem with Beth's sudden head explosion. But as it stands it's jarring for the show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lycus posted:

I do think a neck-stab would've been great for style, though.

Oh absolutely. That would've been seriously great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She was right though.

• Locked thread