Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, we get it. Klonoa was the most influential game of the last 20 years. Basically every game since 1997 has had Klonoa elements. Jumping, collecting, the iconic 2.5D design, even borrowing wholesale from its plot. But some of these games only borrow one or two things from Klonoa, where true "klonoalikes" are basically just ROM-hacks -- which explains why they're always the best-selling games of the year, since nobody can get enough Klonoa.

I love Klonoa as much as anyone. More, even. That's why I'm sick of seeing every game that comes out termed a "klonoalike." Not every side-scrolling item-collecting game with a protagonist that shoots magical rings of energy is a klonoalike. Okay? We're all gamers, we all love and grew up with Klonoa, but this has to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thats a strange way of saying rocketknightalike op

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

thats a strange way of saying rocketknightalike op
Ugh, this again. :rolleyes: Is this a thing? Is it? Is it a thing? Is it? Is this a thing? Is this thing a thing? Is this going to be a thing?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Okay, we get it. Klonoa was the most influential game of the last 20 years. Basically every game since 1997 has had Klonoa elements. Jumping, collecting, the iconic 2.5D design, even borrowing wholesale from its plot. But some of these games only borrow one or two things from Klonoa, where true "klonoalikes" are basically just ROM-hacks -- which explains why they're always the best-selling games of the year, since nobody can get enough Klonoa.

I love Klonoa as much as anyone. More, even. That's why I'm sick of seeing every game that comes out termed a "klonoalike." Not every side-scrolling item-collecting game with a protagonist that shoots magical rings of energy is a klonoalike. Okay? We're all gamers, we all love and grew up with Klonoa, but this has to stop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

And no, Threads of Fate VIII is not a klonoalike. It's an action-rpg with some Klonoa elements. ToF IV is the only one that can be called a klonoalike.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Chameleon twistalikes

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Furthermore, no. Not every game where you push blocks and lay traps for your enemies is a "bomberlolo." I don't care how many crates there are in Metal Gear Solid, it's not a bomberlolo game.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Furthermore, no. Not every game where you push blocks and lay traps for your enemies is a "bomberlolo." I don't care how many crates there are in Metal Gear Solid, it's not a bomberlolo game.

Not even Zelda?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm more of a gloverlike man, myself

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i call all games where i have to move vertically across the screen froggerlikes is this acceptable?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like with Gexalikes, personally.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ForeverSmug posted:

Not even Zelda?
Okay, sure, Zelda's a pretty classic example. But come on. Deus Ex? Braid? Longest Journey? Just borrowing game mechanics from Adventures of Lolo and putting bombs in a game doesn't make it a bomberlolo game.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Likelikes

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish the games industry decided to copy Klonoa 2 instead

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

chumbler posted:

I like with Gexalikes, personally.

The Gexesque genre is one with a long, proud tradition and I will not stand by while you besmirch it with this fake-rear end name.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nanomashoes posted:

I wish the games industry decided to copy Klonoa 2 instead
Had it been released a few years earlier it might have, but by the time Lunatea's Veil came out, most of the world had already played and copied Door to Phantomile. It was just another klonoalike in a world where the top 5 games on most reviewers' lists had been klonoalikes for four years. I'd still rate it one of my favorite games, but I get why it's underappreciated.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

The Gexesque genre is one with a long, proud tradition and I will not stand by while you besmirch it with this fake-rear end name.
gexse.cx

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tales of Symphonia has a Klonoa costume for the weird girl. Is it a Klonoalike?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ace Combat, Namco's longest running series of Klonoalikes, is coming up on its 14th game.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

imagine how memetastic a modern-day Gex game would be... Yeah baby!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

imagine how memetastic a modern-day Gex game would be... Yeah baby!
Gex [to camera]: "cuck"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unguided posted:

Tales of Symphonia has a Klonoa costume for the weird girl. Is it a Klonoalike?
Tales of Symphonia also had Threads of Fate, Thousand Arms, Eternal Eyes, and Vigilante 8 costumes. I think they just had good taste.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gex [to camera]: "cuck"

Zelda beat them to it -"cuckoos?" cmon

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Upload your Gex ragecomics on twitter using hashtag "trollgecko" to win a lifetime supply of Dewitos.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

ForeverSmug posted:

Zelda beat them to it -"cuckoos?" cmon

Cuck? Oo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

http://gex.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_quotes_in_Gex:_Enter_the_Gecko
http://gex.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_quotes_in_Gex_3:_Deep_Cover_Gecko

There isn't one for Gex 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Klonoa: [Strong, stoic, badass.]
Gex: bluhhhhh one liners duhhhhhh
Klonoa: [speaking Japanese]

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Gex... 2? There was no Gex 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One of these games inspired a generation of gamers, the other stars some idiot gecko. Gee, I wonder why. Oh yeah, it's because Klonoa loving redefined what it means to game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

Gex... 2? There was no Gex 2.
What a stupid series.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The wave of derivative Pandemonium clones in the early 2000s was something the video game industry never recovered from

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
There's an alternate universe where the heyday of the 3D collectathon platformer never ended but gritty "realistic" military stuff still became the genre du jour. Jesus gently caress.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
Why is the Ristar sequel called Klonoa?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

There's an alternate universe where the heyday of the 3D collectathon platformer never ended but gritty "realistic" military stuff still became the genre du jour. Jesus gently caress.
In that universe, the Jak series serves the role of every gritty super-serious military FPS.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Woah! Don't have a gecko, man!

FactsAreUseless posted:

In that universe, the Jak series serves the role of every gritty super-serious military FPS.

A game is released with the title "Jak'N Off!" and it is billed by every major gaming media platform (the ones they've paid at least) as the most sublime example of Gaming.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

Klonoa: [Strong, stoic, badass.]
Gex: bluhhhhh one liners duhhhhhh
Klonoa: [speaking Japanese]

its ok to love both klonoa and gex

i do

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
*searches fervently for a Gex/World of Darkness roleplay forum*

*creeps out everyone behind me in class*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Schnedwob posted:

"Jak'N Off!"
Ah yes, the much-lauded Ratchet and Clank/Jak crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

It's a shame that Dynamite Headdy Online has become so much more popular than the original trilogy, I don't think Treasure will ever go back and do another platformer

• Locked thread