Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Scyther posted:

star wars battlefront is really loving sweet.

yeah i should qualify star wars rpg, there have been plenty of good star wars non-rpg games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

01011001 posted:

yeah i should qualify star wars rpg, there have been plenty of good star wars non-rpg games

oh i wasnt trying to be all "hurr" in reply to you, i just wanted to say how sweet battlefront is b/c fellis mentioned battlefront

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

if i wanted to go "hurr" i would have brought up kotor

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I've been into Warhammer 40k tabletop since second edition, and since then I think I've accidentally amassed and painted about 18,000 points in Necrons.

I really, really like to play noobcrons.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i just wanted to clarify. kotor is not that good though on a mechanical level

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played a regular rear end Human Soldier in Star Wars d20 and it was one of my favorite campaigns. Although thinking back now, maybe I enjoyed it most because one of the other party members was a special snowflake Jedi who tried to keep the party completely in the dark about his secret mission, so I called up Mon Mothma and (quite reasonably to my character) reported him for being in league with the Empire. His character got in big trouble and the player permanently stopped playing after that. :cool: Much later I found out that Mon Mothma is not just an NPC the GM made up, nor in fact an alien moth creature.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
good job passive aggressively annoying a player into leaving you make the table top community sound so appealing

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

who would have known ralp would do something so lovely and gay

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

stoutfish posted:

good job passive aggressively annoying a player into leaving you make the table top community sound so appealing

actually, weeding out people who can't maturely respond/one up that kind of brutal own is the height of gamer eugenics, and ensures that only the finest remain in groups. if you play the tabletop game you win or you die.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uhh it wasn't passive aggressive nor even regular aggressive nor a brutal own!! I just figured the DM had planned the story around this guy (fine), so my character radioed HQ so someone could tell her "no he's not actually a bad guy, you need to help him and here's how" and get more involved in the storyline that way. I suppose the DM didn't really like him monopolizing the games though, and the player apparently wasn't willing to keep playing if he wasn't the DM's pet. His character was turned into the main antagonist once he left and I think it's safe to say everyone liked the game a lot more. AND it's ALL thanks to me, Ralp, the Best Player!

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
ralp is bad, confirmed

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Ion Helmet posted:

uhh it wasn't passive aggressive nor even regular aggressive nor a brutal own!! I just figured the DM had planned the story around this guy (fine), so my character radioed HQ so someone could tell her "no he's not actually a bad guy, you need to help him and here's how" and get more involved in the storyline that way. I suppose the DM didn't really like him monopolizing the games though, and the player apparently wasn't willing to keep playing if he wasn't the DM's pet. His character was turned into the main antagonist once he left and I think it's safe to say everyone liked the game a lot more. AND it's ALL thanks to me, Ralp, the Best Player!

yeah to be real, if there's someone who's acting that way, it's honestly best to maneuver things in such a way as to make them decide to leave of their own accord - it honestly sounds like a good call if it was like the guy we had in our group - it's good to lance the boil and make the constant low-level aggravation among the entire group go away.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ion Helmet posted:

I played a regular rear end Human Soldier in Star Wars d20 and it was one of my favorite campaigns. Although thinking back now, maybe I enjoyed it most because one of the other party members was a special snowflake Jedi who tried to keep the party completely in the dark about his secret mission, so I called up Mon Mothma and (quite reasonably to my character) reported him for being in league with the Empire. His character got in big trouble and the player permanently stopped playing after that. :cool: Much later I found out that Mon Mothma is not just an NPC the GM made up, nor in fact an alien moth creature.

excellent poo poo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

can you be that stupid walking garbage can droid in star wars d20

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc droids are playable but they have to purchase a special intelligence module in order to earn any XP

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lets play marvel heroic roleplay

ill be batman

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

table top games are fun to prepare and plan but playing them is always a let down. like you spend 100 hours painting minis and making army lists and you finally hit the table and the guy is a dick or one of you gets stomped and has no fun and lots of clean up to look forward to and then you go home, chuck your minis in the closet, and boot up a video game and it just works and kicks rear end and is cheaper.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People who just have to be special loving snowflakes in a game are awful. Even worse than Ralp.

I think he did the right thing.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
if i play a fantasy game i like being a dwarf fighter or some other "boring" combo exactly cus of that

like im a regular guy and the folks im traveling with are varying degrees of lol

Dec 26, 2012

Haam posted:

if i play a fantasy game i like being a dwarf fighter or some other "boring" combo exactly cus of that

like im a regular guy and the folks im traveling with are varying degrees of lol

i do this sometimes depending on the game and party

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
i like 3.5 over 4e and pathfinder over both and bring it up at every opportunity to satiate my inner neckbeard

though i like rogue trader more than both of those, some of the mechanics are wonky and space combat is a bitch and a half to gm if you don't have maps but it's fun once the players realize that even at rank 1 they're so rich that numbers can't properly encapsulate the amount of money they have

Ion Helmet posted:

iirc droids are playable but they have to purchase a special intelligence module in order to earn any XP

one time i played one of the star wars rpgs and my dm was running a diplomatic campaign, but he forgot to tell me that so i showed up to the first session with KILLBOT: THE DROID MADE ONLY FOR KILLING because i was tired of being the party face. he made me reroll as a noble, because gonk droid with what was basically a battleship gun was "unsuitable for the intricacies of interplanetary diplomacy". coincidentally he was also a oval office who hated fun.

Dec 26, 2012

Don Gato posted:

i like 3.5 over 4e and pathfinder over both and bring it up at every opportunity to satiate my inner neckbeard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmJ_CKk_WhA

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Don Gato posted:

one time i played one of the star wars rpgs and my dm was running a diplomatic campaign, but he forgot to tell me that so i showed up to the first session with KILLBOT: THE DROID MADE ONLY FOR KILLING because i was tired of being the party face. he made me reroll as a noble, because gonk droid with what was basically a battleship gun was "unsuitable for the intricacies of interplanetary diplomacy". coincidentally he was also a oval office who hated fun.

This got a good series of laugh's from me. Thanks for the excellent post imper

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

warhammers pretty bad and they're always the smelliest people at the gaming store
smellier than mtg people even

its why my gaming night is at a pub instead of a gross grognard infested game shop

RPG players are 100% smellier on average than any other kind of person at a game store

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

RPG players are 100% smellier on average than any other kind of person at a game store

false, Magic players are the worst. warhammer 40k coming a close second.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Don Gato posted:

all of your opinions are wrong

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Haam posted:

dwarf fighter is basically the best character ever, I mean sometimes it's fun to play some weird character like a magic robot or a dude whose dad was literally satan, but most of the time it's just fun to be a hard-fighting hard-drinking scottish viking with an axe

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

im the guy playing a girl and describing my tits

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I recently did my first real session of Pathfinder. It was fun. I was a halfling rogue that was a snake-oil salesman.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Don Gato posted:

sorry not even close

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Don Gato posted:

because gonk droid with what was basically a battleship gun was "unsuitable for the intricacies of interplanetary diplomacy".

the gently caress it is

Dec 26, 2012

generally speaking having a portable artillery cannon is pretty fantastic for diplomacy

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Who wants to play FATAL

I'll DM

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
fatal is a good game

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

klapman posted:

what's the general theme of Demon: The Descent, and how kickin rad is it? i could look it up myself but I like hearing other people's opinions, and im looking to try and start another world of darkness game but i dont want it to be another mage one

Espionage. Demon, from start to finish, is about playing a spy. The x-splats are all spy jobs (courier, informant, assassin, bodyguard) while the y-splats are the different ways you can try and escape (defecting back, getting exfiltrated, building an impenetrable cover, tearing down the system). The main issue is that while they strongly hint that you should include a force equivalent to the God-Machine that acts to manipulate things, they never come out and say that. Probably this is to avoid calcifying the line and making mandatory crossovers, though they do heavily suggest the Principle from Promethean as the God-Machine's opposition.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

stoutfish posted:

fatal is a good game

if you want to play a bad rpg world of synnibarr is "better" in every way and also crazy in an entertaining way. and rifts has robot suits, racist germans, gargoyles and everything the 90's ever put out in some form or another along with terrible mechanics that barely work that imp zone loves.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Ratpick posted:

dwarf fighter is basically the best character ever, I mean sometimes it's fun to play some weird character like a magic robot or a dude whose dad was literally satan, but most of the time it's just fun to be a hard-fighting hard-drinking scottish viking with an axe

i was doin this in a guys homebrew system/world once (fun group altho none of us really understood the system but him) and i got a shitton of bonus xp for makin everyone laugh at my dwarfy stories, would def play again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Don Gato posted:

My college friends play magic and are p chill and i never saw a 40k player irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

01011001 posted:

generally speaking having a portable artillery cannon is pretty fantastic for diplomacy

it really is. it is super-convenient if the bad guys decide that it'll be really cool to capture you and take you prisoner because you all suck at combat and then artillery gonk reduces them to their component atoms.

negotiations tend to go swiftly in your favor after that.

• Locked thread