Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

And promotions depend on sex.

Your promotion chart is broken, as I have examined it closely and I haven't seen where female characters get stat penalties compared to males. In fact, they seem to be better off, and for physical units, actually get MORE strength :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's...interesting, that's the first gender stat differential thing I've ever seen where ladies are the superior ones.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Azran posted:

I mean yes, some FE games work like this. I'm not criticizing the video games, I really like them. I'm just :psyduck: about going into this detail with loving d20. Why not use d100?
The problem is trying to mimic a system designed for a computer Strategy-RPG at all. There's a reason that tabletop games tend to pick one or the other. A Fire Emblem RPG would be better off just using the basic mechanics of D&D or Dungeon World (for example) and laying the rock-paper-scissors nature of FE combat over top of that.

quote:

It can be hard to remember the big fat guy is playing a small sexy woman and vice versa
if play is public, this, too, can cause major issues with non-gamers.
There were jokes about that in some indie movie about RPGers I saw, but honestly, has anyone EVER seen this happen in reality, just repeatedly forgetting the gender of a player character?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of course, you could go weird with the bases, and frankly having lopsided stats is probably for the best since you can't really play with growths. The average 320% total these rolls produce could be a lot more interesting to use if you could distribute them more freely, but really, why are the random growths randomly determined?
Because the first Fire Emblem games came out when pretty much all RPG design was a Cargo Cult of TSR D&D and in TSR D&D you roll for poo poo!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mendrian posted:

Man I have got to hear more about this. How does one try to throw away something in the garbage? How do you even sheepishly respond when a person discovers you trying to destroy their property? "Oops, I figured you didn't want these 80 dollars worth of books, sorry"?

There isn't much to tell, honestly. I put the books out on the table because I agreed to bring in my roleplaying books for newbies to look at. I turn my back for a bit then turn back to see their gone. So, I look around real quick to see what happened and I see the local Pathfinder GM going towards the garbage with them. So I just go "Mate, what are you doing?" "Oh, uh, nothing." I walk up to him and go, "Why were you opening the garbage can and hovering my books over them?" "Well, uh, just uh, no reason." "Whatever, just put them back on the table." Then he did and that was that.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm rather more astounded that someone cares about goddamn edition warring enough to try to destroy someone else's property.

Lookie Here

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

There's a difference between destroying your own property and destroying someone else's property.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

One time a local group I'd never played with was going to start running a 3.5 game, and the DM had a rule that if the stuff was official supplements and either A. he owned them or B. someone at the table owned them and was willing to bring them, you could use it. It was a semi highish level campaign, starting at level 9.

I convinced a friend to let me take his copy of Tome of Battle, and statted up a Crusader. I made a huge beefy half-orc crusader (we were allowed to roll stats, and she ended up with 22 str, 17 con, 17 dex, 14 wisdom 12 int, 11 charisma after level ups) and had the maneuver that let me ignore hardness. So the DM, who already grumbled about the idea of me making a Swordsage because it's 'too anime' (so i made a big beefy crusader), sent us to fight an entrenched wizard's tower where a suspected demon summoner resided a hundred years ago. It was supposed to be abandoned but apparently there was some kind of mystical portal still open, letting demons pour in, thus all the demon problems the region had had.. He specifies that the walls appear to be made of incredibly hard rock, but there's a small door with a gargoyle that looks like it leads down into a cellar. So as a party we go 'hey, this character can ignore all hardness and just smash poo poo, lets let them do that'. First the DM got really mad at the idea and said it didn't work that way and I had to be in mortal peril to access my maneuvers (you don't). Then he said that I had to stand around and wait for my stuff to 'refresh' and while it happened had wyverns attack us from nowhere with no foreshadowing. We (barely) beat them up (they were, rating wise, a fight for a party at least two levels over ours) and I specifically didn't use the move during the fight, so I walk over and say I use it on the wall.

So he makes the wall explode as I crush it, forces a reflex save that all but the rogue fails, and then asks me how much HP I have and goes 'yeahhh you're dead, so is anyone with less'. Didn't even roll anything, just flat out went 'yep you are dead'. I had the highest HP total. So the Rogue survived only. Then when the other players and me got upset, he said that we shouldn't have tried to just break in, and that we would have been fine if we'd done his dungeon and gotten through it 'correctly'.

He then told us to stat up new characters and banned anything from Tome of Battle, but me and two others just left.

Edit: I have basically never had a good experience with playing tabletop with anyone besides close friends. I have plenty of stories like above.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 15, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mors Rattus posted:

That's...interesting, that's the first gender stat differential thing I've ever seen where ladies are the superior ones.

Going off memory, Final Fantasy Tactics gave men higher physical strength and women higher magical strength, except basically nothing but auto-attacks used physical strength and there were a bunch of extremely powerful women-only equipment, so ladies were typically better.

Likewise Wizardry 6-8, female characters started with a penalty to strength but a bonus to one of the spellcasting stats...and, again, a ton of vastly superior female-only gear, and one full female-only class that was probably the strongest one in all three games, which greatly outnumbered any downsides to the small strength penalty that only exists in chargen, so you'd have teams of all ladies (and one dude for the sake of a quest).

So sometimes there's stat differences that are sorta even out, but then other stuff ends up tipping the balance right into female superiority.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Moinkmaster posted:

Your promotion chart is broken, as I have examined it closely and I haven't seen where female characters get stat penalties compared to males. In fact, they seem to be better off, and for physical units, actually get MORE strength :confuoot:

*waves man-hating feminist flag*

The XP and progression rates is where things get really weird. The combat resolution mechanic is actually just some easily summed modifiers vs. some other easily summed modifiers, and a fuckton of modifiers more. It's presented object-oriented which makes it hard to read for everyone who aren't computer geeks. But overall, not very complicated.

Then it turns out that every time you hit someone in combat you need to do division. Whoops...

LatwPIAT fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 15, 2014

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Talking of video game adaptations, back in the 1990s we talked about games on Usenet. In around 1993, White Wolf, which had just hit two consecutive home runs in two consecutive years (Vampire 1ed and Werewolf 1ed), announces they have obtained the license for creating a RPG based on Street Fighter. As nerds do, we start discussing and speculating about what systems it will contain. There was a big division in those days on Usenet among people who liked D&D and those who liked White Wolf. (A small number, including myself, liked both, and some of us took too much happiness from angering everyone.)

I can remember a fellow White Wolf fan absolutely hammering over and over that if the Street Fighter RPG had hit points, he wouldn't buy it. "White Wolf people" really hated hit points. The guy wanted a health track system like in White Wolf where injuries would slow you down and make it harder to fight.

(Of course, the source material had hit points and a character with the tiniest sliver of a health bar is not in any way impeded, and the health bar in Street Fighter 2 acted a lot more like hit points in D&D than a death spiral of any kind.)

The game came out eventually and, naturally, it contained a health track like other White Wolf games - I never went back to ask if that guy was really pumped about that outcome. Maybe I'm the grog for remembering this.

Actually now that I think about it, it wouldn't be until Burning Wheel's Fight! (at around the same time as Fireborn) that a tabletop RPG system would put into place the sort of move-selection/execution strategy that Street Fighter 2 had back in 1991...

Oh well.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

moths posted:

(*Female "friends" whose careers involve being paid to have sex with him on film.)

I see people already slapped this post around but who cares if someone is a sex worker, don't bring it up.

ALSO: If some weenie approaches any of you guys elsewhere and :qq:s about forums posts, and they're actually lovely posts, please report them instead of playing weenie telephone. Thanks.

Ettin fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 15, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't mean for that to read like an attack on anyone, and I'm sorry that it did. I was stupid to even question the objectivity of MY ____ FRIEND since the ____ FRIEND thing is never legitimate, even when referring to people who aren't your business associates.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Short, sweet, stupid. Shadowrun!

Considering making my next handle a racial slur or curse word. posted:

Think about it. Going by something like "Shitstain", "Fuckboy", or "Limpdick" makes it less likely your name will get remembered by any witnesses.

"Did you hear what any of them said?"
"Well, One said to the other one, 'GIMME ALL THE CRAM RIGHT NOW, rear end in a top hat!"
"But you didn't hear a name for the masked man?"
"No, officer, just kept calling him rear end in a top hat."
"Dammit, now what?"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Are we talking about gender stat differences now?

quote:

I'm finishing some basic RPG mechanics. Got the skills and attributes done to my taste. Its skill heavy (atts are secondary, but they DO count)

The problem is, what about women? Traditionally, in RPGs stats are the same. The engineer in me looks at the table and can't help to see that they are wrong, and the roleplayer can't suspend disbelief enough to consider a (D&D 2nd ed equivalent) 18-90 STR in a human female as acceptable. (No, I refuse to refer to anything above 2nd ed for statistics. They're just ludicrous)

For reference: females usually are shorter and weigh less. For equal weights, they are physically weaker. Olympic records at 69kg give: 286kg (sum) women, 357kg (sum) men. In my range, thats a -2 mod.

I also have it that they have a bonus for studying and a smaller penalty for multiple tasks. In crafts they are also more productive / fail less. This is NOT an attempt at compensating, current school and university results seem to bear this out.

The question is what should I do:
- Go for it, truth is truth - put in an option to ignore all of it at the GM's discretion
- Make it as just an optional modifier for those who wish it
- Don't buy into that fight
- Compensate on other stuff such as the magical system (for those settings that have it)
- Others

The system aims at a certain realism of treatment, insofar as you don't go up in levels and become able to shrug off multiple full-damage and critical sword blows. (I know, HP are said to represent missed hits and so on - so why do you have to heal them?)

It is made to be generic and flexible, with multiple settings. As such it is prepared to deal as well with a goblin or volus (mass effect) as with a human, elf, asari (same) or troll, ogre, krogan (same), within the basic rules mechanics; not with a myriad exceptions and adaptations. Size does matter (and specifically leaving out any sexual mechanics guys, leave that for roleplaying if you wish!), both when charging (size is good) and when getting shot at (size BAD!)

So, if I'm having a modification for an elf (not as beefy, not as variable in range) it seems kinda ridiculous to not have one for gender. But gender-issues are totally different fight. If that gets people off actually considering the system, then its not worth it for me.

Note: the settings vary. In a technological one, a woman with a blaster/gun is under no disadvantage. Smaller size will help actually.

Thank you guys.

quote:

Truth is truth. You should never compromise that in order to be PC for your PCs. That said, if we put aside pandering to stupid feminists (note; feminists are not generally stupid, but some stupid people are feminists) I still find it vexing that if I want to play a female character in your system I get penalties.

I note that the -2 Strength mod simply takes my strength down, but that isn't necessary in order to properly represent the statistics you cite above. Instead, you could give female characters a maximum Strength which is 2 levels below the maximum strength of male. Similarly for crafts; the fact that women might be better at crafting things or studying doesn't mean that a man can't be drat good, so why not just put the limits in the right place instead of taxing the male characters?

The game would remain consistent just so long as the DM makes sure that the game isn't full of bulky female fighters.

I've just completed my own game, and sexism is a big part of the magic; one type for women, a different type for men. One way to make sure I didn't come under too much fire was to use gender neutral pronouns to show that while the game world is full of sexism, no sexism is being presented by the author or the work. I use 'sie' for he/she (which looks ugly) and 'hir' instead of 'his/her/ him' (which looks ugly and awkward).

One last note: are you sure about women being more difficult to hit because they're shorter. That may be true of cats, but I don't think the loss of an average of 6 inches in height really makes that much difference.

quote:

Some old-school games did have gender modifiers, and I don't think that was ever a big issue, as the games tried to balance the strength disadvantage with advantages in other areas. And if you avoid gender differences in the name of equality, why is it O.K. to discriminate between humans and dwarves? Compared to differences in abilities between genders and races, I find it much more problematic that in many games some sentient races are deemed inherently evil.

In a Fantasy setting, you can argue that the "human" race is not exactly the same as our race and that sexual dimorphism is negligible. Or you can argue that, even for "normal" humans, it is no small that it falls between the gaps in the characteristics scale.

In historical settings, it is much harder to avoid social discrimination: In most past (and many present) societies gender roles were more segregated than can be explained by physical or mental differences, and they were often enforced by law or social ostracism. Again, many Fantasy settings postulate more gender equality than similar historical cultures, and many games ignore race discrimination as well and assume humans, elves, dwarves and so on have equal standing in all societies. And if a Fantasy setting does have cultures that discriminate against race, why not also gender?

Having physical or social gender (or racial) differences can lead to role-playing opportunities, so I don't see it as a bad idea, if it is treated in a way that doesn't make playing female (or non-human) characters awkward.

Fuckin' :biotruths: in elfgames. drat it, Tolkien was better than this and he wrote in more named swords than women.

Laws and Customs of the Eldar posted:

In all such things, not concerned with the bringing forth of children, the neri and nissi (that is, the men and women) of the Eldar are equal--unless it be in this (as they themselves say) that for the nissi the making of things new is for the most part shown in the forming of their children so that invention and change is otherwise brought about by the neri. There are, however, no matters which among the Eldar only a ner can think or do, or others with which only a nis is concerned.
I would've liked more women gut-stabbing dragons and wrestling Balrogs to death myself (or any dwarf women like at all), but J.R.R.T's still miles ahead of the chucklefucks above.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Double-post, I know, but this bears mentioning:

Gary Gygax posted:

As I have often said, I am a biological determinist, and there is no question that male and female brains are different. It is apparent to me that by and large females do not derive the same inner satisfaction from playing games as a hobby that males do. It isn't that females can't play games well, it is just that it isn't a compelling activity to them as is the case for males.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
Huh. Am I reading that wrong, or are woman just plain better fighters in the FE rules? I see two stats better for woman than men as melee, and one better for magey woman, with no corresponding downside. So that would make it sort of bizzaro-grog?

ProfessorCirno posted:

Going off memory, Final Fantasy Tactics gave men higher physical strength and women higher magical strength, except basically nothing but auto-attacks used physical strength and there were a bunch of extremely powerful women-only equipment, so ladies were typically better.

Likewise Wizardry 6-8, female characters started with a penalty to strength but a bonus to one of the spellcasting stats...and, again, a ton of vastly superior female-only gear, and one full female-only class that was probably the strongest one in all three games, which greatly outnumbered any downsides to the small strength penalty that only exists in chargen, so you'd have teams of all ladies (and one dude for the sake of a quest).

So sometimes there's stat differences that are sorta even out, but then other stuff ends up tipping the balance right into female superiority.

Strength is actually really important for most physical attacks, including sword skills. What stats factor in to an attack depends on weapon; some use speed, magic, brave, etc, alone or in combination with each other and strength.

The real advantage to having better magic growth is that there are no generic classes with better than average growth, whereas a female unit can narrow the gap by levelling in jobs that grow physical attack.

Female-only equipment is crazy good though.

Also your main character has good growth in both magic and physical attack, rather than being better at one than the other.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yes, races that can live up to 600 years with humans and are still compatible enough to generate offsprings is all fine and dandy, but strong women are just too unrealistic for their tastes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Bendigeidfran posted:

Are we talking about gender stat differences now?

Fuckin' :biotruths: in elfgames. drat it, Tolkien was better than this and he wrote in more named swords than women.

I would've liked more women gut-stabbing dragons and wrestling Balrogs to death myself (or any dwarf women like at all), but J.R.R.T's still miles ahead of the chucklefucks above.

My favorite part is when the first one flirts with trying to give males some sort of disadvantage to go with it, and the response another gives is "whoh WHOH whoh, it needs to be realistic. Which means only women get a penalty."

Actually my favorite part is that most of the thread calls them out on it. But god drat if it still doesn't happen.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hodgepodge posted:

Huh. Am I reading that wrong, or are woman just plain better fighters in the FE rules? I see two stats better for woman than men as melee, and one better for magey woman, with no corresponding downside. So that would make it sort of bizzaro-grog?

Strength is actually really important for most physical attacks, including sword skills. What stats factor in to an attack depends on weapon; some use speed, magic, brave, etc, alone or in combination with each other and strength.

The real advantage to having better magic growth is that there are no generic classes with better than average growth, whereas a female unit can narrow the gap by levelling in jobs that grow physical attack.

Female-only equipment is crazy good though.

Also your main character has good growth in both magic and physical attack, rather than being better at one than the other.

FFT also played around with its own gender mechanics a little. For instance the male only Bard class used Magic based skills, while the female only Dancer used physical based skills. However the really good songs/dances didn't give a crap about your stats and just had a static chance to trigger, which is actually sort of a theme when you look at the gender differences. The game also gave you two female knights who had the Male Physical Attack and one random guy who had female Magical Attack bonus, and as mentioned the protagonist had a bonus to both stats.

Moreover PA and MA weren't really god-stats by any means, that honor belongs to speed. Good Astrology and Faith ratings often made more of an impact on magic than raw magic power, especially for Oracles and Time Mages who both have excellent magic sets get barely anything from your MA rating. It's also plenty easy to stack either rating (PA a little more), and the game has Poles that are excellent weapons that do damage based on MA rather than PA, and even besides that Ninjas still kill everything ever no matter their gender.

Basically FFT doesn't care who you use to do what, and unless you're dead-set on min-maxing gender is a minor consideration.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I remember cheesing the fields right outside the starting town to max Brave/min Faith on poo poo that would never need magic damage. Dropping brave, conversely, was never really worth it, because while a low faith had a positive effect on physical characters (a low faith reduced the effects of magic), a low brave netted no positive beyond the niche instance of finding rare items on specific tiles on a mission board.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
io9 can always be counted on for grog!

http://io9.com/the-new-dungeon-masters-guide-is-like-a-hackers-manual-1670551012

quote:

Kudos on taking your first step into tabletop roleplaying, and what a huge step it was starting as a DM. Is your whole group new to roleplaying? It'll get better as everyone gets more experience (no pun intended). Metagaming is something everyone does, and something every group has to deal with. It can either be a problem (as in, people using outside game knowledge to directly influence in-game play), or it can be fun (people making in-game jokes using outside of game information). There are many ways to deal with it, but my personal preference is to call it out when I see it. You're the DM, the end-all-be-all. Your say is final. Don't let the players bully you into a course of action. Say things like "How does your character know there's a dragon in this cave?" I know it's tough, and you aren't likely to get them to change their decisions to something else simply because you're calling out their metagaming, but I've noticed that the simple act of letting them know you're watching them (and you may change the outcome because of it) is enough to gradually get them to change their play style to more roleplay and less metagame.
Using out of character knowledge to have fun in a game ... truly the most important thing you can do as a DM is stamp that out.

quote:

I think your just a little bit too jaded with this edition. Yes 3.5 was good, but utterly broken when it came to casters vs. melee, especially with how overpowered psions were. 4E streamlined combat, but took out most of the roleplaying and forced most of the community to pathfinder because of how gimmicky and MMO like it was (not to mention how much they tried to cash in with all the different spell cards and other bullshit). But it looks like 5E is going to be around for awhile, and with how balanced and how well written the rules are it looks like this edition is going to last a lot longer because it isnt so rigid and set in its ways, and they arent trying to cash in on every little thing. you should give it a chance, this is probably the best edition since 2E.

quote:

In all honesty: Why would anyone buy these new books when the last expansion was arguably the poorest of editions? The track record for the people involved seems lacking.

Also, why bother when Paizo seems to have done a better job at doing D&D than WotC? WotC isn't renowned for their brilliant game design... more like their brilliant game acquisitions. They don't seem to care to much about the product as long as there is product being produced is my point. Their business model seems to revolve around purchasing properties with a large consumer base and producing large amounts of semi-tolerable product with that property's logo on it.

That really isn't a good model for quality product... just... product. Which, if I'm not mistaken, is basically just kitsch. So... why drop hundreds of dollars on a product that is very likely a bunch of kitsch when a company like Paizo seems to be producing quality?

quote:

Not Grog posted:

Well it honestly depends on how you look at things. They made a concerted effort to make the game 'people' wanted this time. I put people in quotes because I was mostly fine with 4th ed, yes it wasn't super great, but it wasn't as terrible as people made it out to be. It was fun, enjoyable, quick to pick up and had some interesting mechanics at times.

Why do people cheer for their sports team after a losing season? Because people have faith, loyalty and all that. People for some reason loved 3rd edition and 3.5 (and honestly I still don't understand how anyone could because its utter trash in my opinion). So they made a mistake with 4th. Does that mean we should never purchase the new editions even if they might be what we want? Well thats up to you.

Heres the way I look at it. Get the PHB. If you like the rules great. If you don't...don't buy more. Its not that hard. Thats my plan at least. I always have the vastly superior to everything (especially pathfinder) Hackmaster to fall back on if I don't like it. Or any of the previous editions or any of the other games and systems currently in my library of games.
Then some dude gets super mad about that "utter trash" comment. Most of these are him.

3.5 is generally considered the only edition for D&D. Calling it "utter trash" is probably not the route you wanna go if you want people to take you seriously.
I agree with saying that 5E is what 4E should have been. I'm just not going to drop any cash on this until it's shown it's full product line. The whole 4E debacle has basically put my wallet back in my pocket and made me a bit more leery of WotC.

I don't think anyone should put any money into this until it's all on the table. I'd rather play more 3.5 than go through the last 4 years again.
I'm fairly certain that what I said was specific, but I'll summarize and reword it for you: First I said that I don't trust the people that put out 4E. I also said that there are far better options that are actually trustworthy. Then I suggested that calling something so solidly entertaining as 3.5 "utter trash" was a little embellished and would only serve to marginalize your point of view.
Paizo split off from WotC, what are you saying? 5E is a simpler game, that requires a huge amount of DM fiat in order to do most activities in. Pathfinder has rules for all these, and is much more mechanically flushed out. There are more differences in the systems, obviously, but that one is key.

(I personally prefer Pathfinder FAR AND ABOVE 5E, having played both, and PF only about a year longer)
There is a lot of irony to be found in the idea that WotC published 3.5. The truly comical part is that the vast majority of 3.5 changes were not written or developed by WotC... just published and profited upon by them.

Look, my friends and I have lives, responsibilities and children. I am not going to burn money on a may be. My group of friends has decided not to because 3.5 is still with us and far superior to a "may be" or a "perhaps".

So far the consensus is NO and it's not a NO with just my group of friends. Local stores haven't been selling them very well. Perhaps it's because we all spent our 4E money and then basically sold it all on Ebay 2 years later. Just sayin'.
I remember someone telling me that 4E rocked. I remember buying all that rocking kitsch and feeling the joy of learning something "new". I remember all the people in my group squeezing out every little bit of honest time trying to learn it's "interesting" and "amazing" new mechanics. I also remember the hours of time where we tried to reincorporate 3.5 combat tactics into 4E. How we tried to patch up the gaping holes in 4E's combat system with more and more rules from 3.5.

Then I remember us just "revisiting" the old game again. After we gave our most to 4E we basically found 3.5 to be like being let out of school. We could go play again and we never went back.

People may be all about getting into 5E. I'm happy for them. That's great. My group... my friends... we look at 5E and all we see is 4E. We are waiting. I would advise anyone that is on the fence to STAY ON THE FENCE. Let all the people with gobs of money falling off of their Christmas trees to do the investing on this "rocking" piece of work. When the cloud settles in a couple years... then see what people are saying.

quote:

Strangely, I was unimpressed. I was looking for a book filled with meat; instead, what I got was little more than a glossary, where everything was casually touched upon. Like the previous two books in the 5e range, there was very little style OR substance. Very disappointed, which is the first time for me. Well, since 4th Edition! :D

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Thread title: DMs: How do you handle purely combat-focused groups?

Can you guess how many answers are a variant of "PUNISH THEM UNTIL THEY QUIT, HOW DARE THEY?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I have found that players like most people respond to carrots and sticks, if you want to change the behavior change the rewards. Right now your players don't see any reward for all the social and exploration aspects of the game, they know if they kill things they get XP and gold, so thats what they want to do.

Tell them flat out you will reward them full value for encounters they avoid through diplomacy and subterfuge, and only half as much for defeating them in combat. Explain that whatever gold or items that might be on the monsters will pale in comparison to the rewards that the npc's will give them if handled without bloodshed. Traps that are defeated with thought and creative thinking equal full XP, traps defeated with just a brief description and a toss of the die, only half XP.

If they still don't change, break out the stick. Make the combat scenes even more deadly than they are, slowly at first then ever so greatly till they understand that violence will lead to death. In Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition this was the standard, all combat was super deadly so you wanted to avoid it at all costs.

The other issue is have a talk with your players, they seem to want a kick down the door kill the monster style beer and pretzel game, and you want an in depth long lasting deep role playing experience.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

Ok, let me pop in here to add some details. Actually I don't think all the players in my table are absolutely enjoying this kind of hack and slash. In fact, one player is completely unhappy with it. When I personally talk to him, he says he is in the same camp with me about more role playing less fighting. The other players, however, behave like they are eager to have combat the whole session, but when they encounter an enemy and it comes to actually resolving the combat rounds, they quickly start to feel bored if their characters fail to hit or deal some damage for a couple of turns, (mostly they don't try much interesting things in combat to gain advantage, upper hand etc. althogh I constantly remind them of such clever tactics) then it becomes like "well, it took us too long, when will we finish this stupid fight?" Hearing that I feel really at a loss but don't reflect my mood around in order to avoid a negative athmosphere around the table.

So most of your players only want combat, and when they get combat, they want to hurry up and get it over with. To get to what exactly? Yet another fight that they hope ends immediately?

Sounds like most of your players would be happier playing an MMO than tabletop. Find better players.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm running my older kids (2 boys, 2 girls) thru the Phandelver adventure. The oldest boy is having a real problem understanding that it is a living world he is interacting with and like your group has a tendency to want to shoot first. I believe this is because he is used to playing video games where the goal is usually to kill everything in sight. He easily sways the younger boy to follow him in this method of play. My two girls are just the opposite...eagerly looking at interaction as the first move in any situation. The boys and girls went separate ways in the Cragmaw hideout...and almost had a TPK before figuring out their mistake. Once they arrived in Phandalin they split up again. The girls did some real role playing while the boys suffered from gold fever and went around selling off everything they had brought back with no intention of sharing with the girls. At the end of the session I awarded the girls with slightly more EP's which had the boys crying foul! I clearly informed them that the girls were being rewarded for good role play and actually advancing the groups knowledge in the right direction. The boys whined but I think they got the message.

~*~

First of all, the basic answer is probably "give them what they want"- let them play a lot of combat-heavy stuff. But if that's not satisfying to you, you can just think about the reactions of the various npcs and how they play off each other.

Enforce the logical consequences of the pcs' actions. This means, among other things, that they're going to get a reputation for plowing through things without subtlety. They will miss a lot- that's okay. There's no way to get the information they need to find the dungeon/magic item/special powder/whatever? Then they don't find it. Oh, they can't finish the adventure? Oh well, time to chalk up another mark in the "Fail" column and move on to the next one.

This approach means that, eventually, they will stop getting hired for jobs that aren't "Kill kill kill". That's okay; it may suit them. But it also means that they will probably eventually get hired to do something that they really ought to avoid (slaying an important person, kidnapping the heir, threatening a powerful official, etc).

It also means that it's likely that the pcs will eventually do something- kill a guy in a bar fight, get a reputation for casting fireballs in the city, etc.- that makes them either persona non grata or actually wanted by the authorities. This means that they can't easily buy supplies, find an inn, get a meal, hire a cobbler, go to the weaponsmith, etc. And if they try to go get a disease cured or a curse removed- well, the local clergy isn't likely to help if the consequence is the loss of their clerical rights in the city for aiding fugitives. When they're in town, they may be confronted by a large group of watchmen offering to escort them out or trying to arrest them outright. If they resist, suddenly there's a huge price on their head for killing guards (because, let's face it, this type of party is often the type that slays anyone without thought of the consequences).

It's also possible that someone will choose to frame them for something that they didn't actually do. With this kind of reputation, it's eminently believable, and a war could start or something equally dire could happen, all because they don't have the connections and reputation to clear their names and point out the real guilty party.

~*~

This is not a combat focused group, this is a powergaming focused group. I had this problem with a few players, and yes <i>it's bad gaming</i>. Even in MMORPG is bad playing, because they cut off any other possibility and ruin the game for anyone (or anything) else. And yes, I think that it can be solved with relative ease.
First of all, it's a matter of system. Probably, you are playing 4ed, which heavily focuses not in combat but in powergaming, with superheroic characters nearly unkillable and with exponential power growth. It takes a EXCEPTIONALLY good DM to make a more narrative game, and it's nearly impossible with that group. And by that I don't mean a creative person or a good narrator: I mean DM that can handle conflictive groups, that can surmont impossible situations like that one, and that usually think outside the box. Anyone can be that... once he had spent 12 years mastering very different groups and systems. Most of us are only good DM, creative, ingenious or good narrators.

Once you had surpass the System problem (or assuming that you can't or you won't because you really like it, but I warn you, some systems are better suited for those excesses), don't abandon the combat. Make it lethal and unexpected. For what you say, they aren't used to think, only to exploit mechanics. Bring creative NPCs, unusual combat situations (don't think stupid rule things like "aerial combat" or "submarine combat" as creative, they are just weird and expected) like a group of really nasty goblins, that use enviromental advantages and guerrilla tactics (preventing, for example, long rests) good but non magical nor lootable equipment, poisons and curses in ways that the players don't expect: halved HP or stats, impossibility to attack directly, dire "real life" or long time consequences (limbs losed, permanent poisons and deseases), inability to heal fast (I think that if they are using clerics or sacred magic it's a possible way to take away their powers, mages could lose concentration because they can't sleep for days by a poison or curse); you can make a lot of combat-oriented booby traps (like hidden traps, stake barricades, incendiary floors, unreachable heights, great coverture, mounted archery, use darkness creatively -make the torches or spells the only light available, that make of them a perfect pointblank for spears or arrows). Don't make every fight a dying fight. Make an obvious necesity to maintain alive a foe (again, poisons and curses). Resign solos and elites and build armies leaded by powerful, character based NPCs, and make them retire if they are losing. Make every fight fast and furious, and very lethal. If they don't apply creative thougt aside from the random use of powers, make them bleed. Don't use every time the combat grid, and take a narrative approach to the combat. This, although being very combat focused, teach them how to think twice. In resume: Give them combat, but if they don't think outside powergame, make them lose.

Then, once you had make a point about the possible outcome of a battle, make more explorational or survivalist gaming. If they don't paid atention to the surroundings, use snakes, ants, bugs, food, wheater, rivers, heat and cold count. They can't rest until they have solutioned the survival issues, reducing combat effectivity. Use magic against them: again, non combat curses, alarms that create impossible barriers to their pass, pixies casting "confusion" spells and making them get lost in the wilderness. Give them not other option for his survival than think. Make combat-focused abilities useless in many situations. Don't give them shelter, nor rest, nor anything. They have to track their foes, not the otherwise. Make the lesser enemies run before them, using torched land tactics. Don't reward with experience random or dull combats. Don't give them loot nor magical items.

Give them time. Don't expend all your resources in one session. Some players would complain a lot. Some players would quit the game. Get rid of them if you see no other options, but more than one will face the challenge of survival. Then you can use hints, diplomacy and interpretation later. Don't put mechanics above interpretation (for example, a mage cannot use a spell if he does not actually says the magic words). Make them justify their combat decisions. Make their weapons rot and break. They can take it if you do this gradually and exponentialy.

I'm a Highschool Spanish teacher, and a DM, and I know that the players, like the students, must be educated prior to play well. That don't guarantee nothing, but is a necessary step to improve. They are people, after all.

~*~

I can't imagine constant combat with no role-playing or other elements. Wouldn't even feel like an RPG at that point. The verisimilitude would be absent. Might as well play a video game for repetitious combat. Hope you can find a better group or help the group your with learn to enjoy role-playing.

Sometimes I have to force a few of my players to role-play. I literally force the issue by talking to them with an NPC. I make it natural like they have met someone in real life they must talk to. I make them talk and make the NPC react to their replies. Once you get them engaged in conversation, they usually loosen up, especially if the conversation is entertaining. I love forcing conversation around the table. Sometimes the PCs get aggressive. If that happens, I literally have the NPC ask if they intend to murder him or her. If so, his relatives or associations will most assuredly take the matter up with the authorities.

If your players aren't role-playing, give them no choice. Don't do so by telling them. Just make an NPC talk with them, so that they have to reply to progress. I do that all time.

If someone is hiring them, then have the hiring NPC interview them. Get an idea of his personality and have him ask shrewd or antagonistic questions such as "Are you an honorable man?" If the PC answers "Yes," then have him ask "What makes you so honorable? What quests you have you undertaken and who might I inquire with concerning your honor? If I'm going to a pay a man well, I want to know he's worth the coin." If they try to pull the typical "I don't need you. Find someone else." Have the NPC say "Sure enough I will. I'm paying quality coin. If you feel you can find better, then be about it. Good day." Just like a real interview. If they choose to end in combat, I guess you'll have your next adventure: your PCs on the run from the law or vengeful relatives.

~*~

Hiya.

Hmmm...."How to train new players in 6 easy steps!" ...

Step 1: "Let the chips fall where they may" (re: start rolling ALL dice rolls in front of them and resist the urge to try and 'modify' the encounter to be balanced). If you get 4 natural 20's during a combat and it kills one PC and gets two of the others into single digits...tough noogies.

Step 2: Explain to them that simply "finding a cleric to raise their BFF's" isn't a matter of "We go to town, spend 1,000gp, and get Bill raised". If they want someone raised, they have to do it themselves, or earn it from an NPC.

Step 3: Get them to invest in their characters. Mentally and emotionally. (see Step 5, below) Get them to the point where they really, truly do not want their PC to die. If death is an easy fix (see #2), they don't need to worry about it.

Step 4: MAKE NEW PC's START AT LEVEL 1 REGARDLESS OF EVERYONE ELSE! (or, at the very least, not higher than level 3...imho).

Step 5: Try and find attributes that the players value (re: loyalty, bravery, bloodlust, vengence, etc), and start introducing NPC's that embody that. For example, my group tends to value bravery (but not plain-ol'-stupidity; innocent stupidity...yes...but regular day-in day-out stupidity...no way). In the Starter Set, in Phandalin, there is a halfling woman who has a son named "Carp". I made Carp young and brave...but almost totally oblivious to the actual danger of "adventuring". I played him as very gung-ho for "heroic adventuring"...I also had him follow the PC's into the "hideout of the bad guys". The PC's found him in one of their backpacks on more than one occasion...in the middle of the dungeon while they were resting. My players (and their PC's) grew very fond of Carp to the point of being, well, parental. I have a feeling they would have probably done just about anything to keep that little guy safe...including sacrificing themselves. The only way to really get your Players to invest into NPC's like that is to play up to the PLAYER's morals and values. The odd (good!) side-effect of this step is that the player will become "attached" to his characters attachment to the NPC...thus, making the player more invested in his PC (see Step 3, above).

Step 6: Now that your players know that death is but a few natural 20's away, that getting raised isn't simply a matter of having the coin, that their "really cool character" may die and then they have to start all over again from level one, and that some NPC's really are "kinda cool" and worth saving/risking...well, uh, I guess off you go then! Problem solved.

You're welcome.

PS: Well, this is my approach whenever I get a new player that has "CRPGMMO'itis"...it's never failed me yet! (er, wait, yes it has; twice... still, twice in 34+ years of DM'ing is pretty good, no?)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm pretty sure this qualifies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CfyU1mOZ1E

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Is there another video where he has the solutions he intended for that problem that the players could put into practice, instead of him just wanking about weapon choice in their faces?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

There's grog, and then there's "I walk around all day with a chainmail vest underneath my sweater."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"Perhaps they should have thought a little about that"

Why? The solution was 'be an organized military force'.

This is what I hate about this kind of GM. You don't 'win' here, you just do a dick move in a world you control.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Lindybeige has some seriously cool videos on popular milhist misconceptions, such as hoplites not actually fighting (which is sadly a pretty popular mistake). But his rpg poo poo is groggy as all hell.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Azran posted:

Lindybeige has some seriously cool videos on popular milhist misconceptions, such as hoplites not actually fighting (which is sadly a pretty popular mistake). But his rpg poo poo is groggy as all hell.

Yeah. He's got some interesting informational/critical videos on his channel, but "I punished my players for thinking we were here to have X fun when I wanted to have Y fun" is pretty :jerkbag: His whole premise for this very video was even pretty good: Who the gently caress farts from their mouth about ~realism~ when you're fighting a dragon with a boar spear? Tricking your players into making GBS threads themselves is not the answer to that question.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

quote:

The truth is-- the "honor" thing is all a matter of translation. You REALLY don't think that concept exists just as strongly in the West?

....the only time I have heard Japanese people in a modern day setting prattle on about "honor" it was those written by white people. I've seen several dozen dramas made by Japanese for Japanese in Japan, I have lived in Japan for 5 years and I swear I have never once heard the word "honor" used ever. Only very rarely do I hear it in period pieces set during wartime. It is just white people who think Japanese use the word every third sentence they speak. Seriously-- it is a racists stereotype. Take any Japanese person written by a white person and see how long they can go before saying the word "honor". Maybe it occasionally comes up in a period piece, but even then it is RARE compared to when white people are writing it.
I can understand where you are coming from, except when you say it is a racist stereotype. If a white American/European thinks of another ethnic group as 'honorable', even if it is mislabeled, how can you call it racist? It might be a stereotype, but it certainly isn't a racist stereotype.

And that's the thing. Fantasy excels in stereotype. One might even make the argument that Fantasy requires stereotypes and once the stereotypes are removed then it no longer remains Fantasy. This is because stereotypes are actually symbols that speak to deeper truths that we cannot adequately relate in words. This, truly, is the almost unspeakable, hard-to-explainable draw that so many experience to Fantasy. In fact, the thing that troubles me most about the modern take on Fantasy is that in almost every facet it aims at removing stereotypes, to trash the symbols. Look at all of the popular interpretations (or more likely, re-interpretations) of the Fantasy genre in pop culture. Almost every example you will see the deconstruction of stereotypes. Moderns and 'postmoderns' drool over it.

Off the top of my head, take the movie "Maleficent" for example (spoilery). The once purely evil Maleficent now has a soft side. She is made into the hero and the king becomes the villain. The show "Once Upon a Time" essentially exists (seemingly) solely for this purpose, to deconstruct stereotypes in Fantasy. They give us a Rambo Snow-white and an angsty Capt. Hook, an evil Peter Pan. A Beast is no longer an actual Beast but a metaphorical beast within. Even Peter Jackson with the many stereotypes found within "Lord of the Rings" couldn't help it in some places. Faramir simply couldn't be as noble as Tolkien wrote him so they made him weak and conflicted, Aragorn, too, to a degree. They even took an extra step (in my opinion) with breaking down stereotypes in the "Hobbit". You'll notice Azog and the goblins of the Misty Mountains are not dark skinned. Another thing (quite small) is that there are residents in Lake-town who are black. I know many who would say I'm being racist just for pointing that out. Say what you will, but the real issue is that those decisions are intentionally made to kick against fairy-tale logic/stereotypes. Maybe the most relevant is that when the art for 5e was released the main thing discussed (before and after) was how stereotypes would/should be/have been broken.

I say all of the above, only to point out that Fantasy (or at least how we perceive Fantasy) has shifted in our day. I'm not necessarily saying that it is a bad thing that it has shifted, but I do think we've lost something. It's become less and not more. And (back to the point) one of the things that we've lost is the ability to realize (or speak plainly about) that there is such thing as a good stereotype and that stereotypes help produce good Fantasy. In this case, a culture perceived as "Honorable" is a good stereotype. It might be false to a degree, but every stereotype, when boiled down is false to a degree. The point isn't to dwell on the falseness of the stereotype (unless the stereotype is actually a false one), but to understand the intention of the stereotype within the Fantasy structure.

A knight rescuing a damsel in distress is about as stereotypical as you can get, and because of that, many deem it to be sexist. Why can't the damsel rescue the knight? Why should she be a damsel at all? Why shouldn't she be the knight? Why does she have to rescue anyone at all? By the time we're done deconstructing the stereotype we've lost Fantasy. The other problem we now have is that whenever anyone stands up to defend the stereotype, they are instantly lambasted as racist, sexist, or whatever-ist, rather than someone who simply enjoys Fantasy for being Fantasy.

So when you get to RPGs and folks participating within Fantasy, and you throw in a dash of that modern deconstructionism in the mix, you get a lot of people talking past each other. All of that to say...imagining Asian cultures as "Honorable" is certainly a stereotype, but it is a good stereotype, especially as a vehicle for Fantasy games. And as such, it is certainly not racist. That's just a flag being waved that gets us off topic.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
There is much here. I will charitably assume that you weren't calling me a racist, but rather were making a point clear (I think there was a mixed signal somewhere, but I'm okay to let it go).

I also accept your respectful disagreeance that Fantasy excels and even thrives on stereotypes, as long as I can respectfully assume you don't understand Fantasy.

A word about inclusiveness. I'll still stand by my statement that I think our modern perception of Fantasy has shifted and that it has become less and not more. I am speaking about stereotypes. When we lose a stereotype of Evil (for instance) then Fantasy takes a hit. In Fantasy, when the Evil Queen/Wizard/Monster becomes simply misunderstood, and perhaps might even be the good guy wearing a black cape, then we've relinquished Fantasy and have moved on to something else. We've taken a step closer to real life. Those steps lead us away from Fantasy. In real life, villains might actually be misunderstood, and even might be the good guys. In Fantasy, good is good and evil is evil. That's the point I was making. I wasn't saying that inclusiveness is a bad thing. In fact you can find inclusiveness all over Fantasy. The Fellowship of the Ring jumps out at me. Many races working together for good. But if you want the inclusiveness to trump certain stereotypes then you start to leave Fantasy behind. If you want Sauron to be the secret good guy you've missed the point. That's what I'm talking about. If you want to have a Political Correctness campaign, have at it. It just might not work for Fantasy.

Now to address the "bombshell".
Sexist is the word that comes to mind because you equate stereotype with "-isms". The knight rescuing the damsel in distress is a Fantasy stereotype worthy of defense not only because it has been passed down for ages, but that in Fantasy it communicates things unspoken. The reason you are uncomfortable with it is because the things it communicates to you (or a particular society) is unsettling. Unsettling may be a good thing or may be a bad thing, but since neither you nor I, were the ones who invented the stereotype, the only thing we can do is accept it or reject it. I accept it, maintain the tradition, and am labeled a sexist. You reject it (and let me be perfectly clear: it is your right, I'm okay with it, reject away, no one is saying you cannot reject it), but you must accept the fact that it is indeed a rejection, that you are shifting/rewriting/retelling and therefore moving away from Fantasy as it has been handed down.

Let me flip it real quick. I love the movie Brave. It is a brand new legend and creates/maintains good stereotypes in its own way. I think it succeeds as Fantasy. But if I were to retell the tale of Merida as a male character I would be moving away from Fantasy as handed down. Especially if I were to use the excuse that She should be a He because it's not inclusive or tolerant otherwise. I've a right to do so, but what I've done is rejected it. I reject what it communicates to me as handed down and rewrite it so that I might be the one who communicates to myself because it makes me comfortable or it makes me feel empowered or whatever reason. The point is that I've moved away from Fantasy.

And that's my argument here, which is why I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying "Woe is me! Look what we've lost!" I haven't lost it. As you've said, I still have my knight and damsel. But in taking the stereotypes as they are handed down to me, understanding them for what they are within Fantasy, I am just one in a long line of stewards and, hopefully (as all who play Fantasy type RPGs desire) participators/creators of Fantasy. Those who deconstruct Fantasy should at least own up to it. I would assume that they'd wear such an accomplishment as a badge of honor.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I couldn't even read that whole screed -- at some point I started tasting pennies and bile, although I suppose that could just be the head cold -- but I can't get over "I'm not RACIST, but if you depict a race of underground-dwellers as pale-skinned and the inhabitants of a bustling, cosmopolitan trading community as being of a variety of skin colors, you are obviously postmodern swine sullying the pure truth of the stereotypes that make up fantasy, like the totally truthful stereotype that skin melanin concentrations are directly correlated with evil hearts!" I can respect Tolkien groggery to some degree, but if skin color is the hill you've decided to die on, just have the dignity and self-awareness to admit you're racist.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Could you put the stuff you find in quote tags? I'm a moron and keep thinking you're rambling incessantly even when I know what thread this is.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

I couldn't even read that whole screed -- at some point I started tasting pennies and bile, although I suppose that could just be the head cold -- but I can't get over "I'm not RACIST, but if you depict a race of underground-dwellers as pale-skinned and the inhabitants of a bustling, cosmopolitan trading community as being of a variety of skin colors, you are obviously postmodern swine sullying the pure truth of the stereotypes that make up fantasy, like the totally truthful stereotype that skin melanin concentrations are directly correlated with evil hearts!" I can respect Tolkien groggery to some degree, but if skin color is the hill you've decided to die on, just have the dignity and self-awareness to admit you're racist.

It's probably bad that I'm so used to nerds being racist that, well, the racism didn't really phase me.

What got me was decrying things that don't possess moral absolutism.

"NO IF YOU WANT NUANCED CHARACTERS THAT ISN'T REAL FANTASY YOU GUYS, IT'S NOT, AND I WOULD KNOW, I AM THE GATEKEEPER OF REAL FANTASY."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Biomute posted:

Could you put the stuff you find in quote tags? I'm a moron and keep thinking you're rambling incessantly even when I know what thread this is.

I typically don't simply because I often have them quoting others and I don't think you can nest quotes.

And oh, don't worry Pulse, Anti - they captured both of your posts!

~*~

quote:

It's still perfectly valid to enjoy Lovecraft and Leiber for what they are. But I sure as heck wouldn't want anyone writing in the genres they shaped to feel they had to be equally as racist/sexist today. In fact, I'd be offended if they were.

If they aren't writing equally as sexist and/or racist and/or stereotype driven, in many cases, they've left the genre, or at least, become a separate subgenre, from the older works.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Biomute posted:

ProfessorCirno posted:

There is much here. I will charitably assume that you weren't calling me a racist, but rather were making a point clear (I think there was a mixed signal somewhere, but I'm okay to let it go).

I also accept your respectful disagreeance that Fantasy excels and even thrives on stereotypes, as long as I can respectfully assume you don't understand Fantasy.

A word about inclusiveness. I'll still stand by my statement that I think our modern perception of Fantasy has shifted and that it has become less and not more. I am speaking about stereotypes. When we lose a stereotype of Evil (for instance) then Fantasy takes a hit. In Fantasy, when the Evil Queen/Wizard/Monster becomes simply misunderstood, and perhaps might even be the good guy wearing a black cape, then we've relinquished Fantasy and have moved on to something else. We've taken a step closer to real life. Those steps lead us away from Fantasy. In real life, villains might actually be misunderstood, and even might be the good guys. In Fantasy, good is good and evil is evil. That's the point I was making. I wasn't saying that inclusiveness is a bad thing. In fact you can find inclusiveness all over Fantasy. The Fellowship of the Ring jumps out at me. Many races working together for good. But if you want the inclusiveness to trump certain stereotypes then you start to leave Fantasy behind. If you want Sauron to be the secret good guy you've missed the point. That's what I'm talking about. If you want to have a Political Correctness campaign, have at it. It just might not work for Fantasy.

Now to address the "bombshell".
Sexist is the word that comes to mind because you equate stereotype with "-isms". The knight rescuing the damsel in distress is a Fantasy stereotype worthy of defense not only because it has been passed down for ages, but that in Fantasy it communicates things unspoken. The reason you are uncomfortable with it is because the things it communicates to you (or a particular society) is unsettling. Unsettling may be a good thing or may be a bad thing, but since neither you nor I, were the ones who invented the stereotype, the only thing we can do is accept it or reject it. I accept it, maintain the tradition, and am labeled a sexist. You reject it (and let me be perfectly clear: it is your right, I'm okay with it, reject away, no one is saying you cannot reject it), but you must accept the fact that it is indeed a rejection, that you are shifting/rewriting/retelling and therefore moving away from Fantasy as it has been handed down.

Let me flip it real quick. I love the movie Brave. It is a brand new legend and creates/maintains good stereotypes in its own way. I think it succeeds as Fantasy. But if I were to retell the tale of Merida as a male character I would be moving away from Fantasy as handed down. Especially if I were to use the excuse that She should be a He because it's not inclusive or tolerant otherwise. I've a right to do so, but what I've done is rejected it. I reject what it communicates to me as handed down and rewrite it so that I might be the one who communicates to myself because it makes me comfortable or it makes me feel empowered or whatever reason. The point is that I've moved away from Fantasy.

And that's my argument here, which is why I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not saying "Woe is me! Look what we've lost!" I haven't lost it. As you've said, I still have my knight and damsel. But in taking the stereotypes as they are handed down to me, understanding them for what they are within Fantasy, I am just one in a long line of stewards and, hopefully (as all who play Fantasy type RPGs desire) participators/creators of Fantasy. Those who deconstruct Fantasy should at least own up to it. I would assume that they'd wear such an accomplishment as a badge of honor.
I typically don't simply because I often have them quoting others and I don't think you can nest quotes.

Nah, you can nest quotes on SA as I demonstrated above.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From a thread titled: [5e] Anyone else think the Warlock class is kinda broken?

quote:

Here's the thing. the classes aren't supposed to be balanced with one another. 4e did that and nearly destroyed the franchise by sending everyone to Pathfinder. Unbalanced is good. Keeps the DM on their toes.

quote:

ohhhhhhhhhhh...

Thank you sir, for your enlightenment!

Never did play 4th edition. How was that by the way?

quote:

4E = chess with dice

quote:

tactical combat. tight rules. very situational with the rule set with things like feats and varying "powers" for every class that could be used at-will, per encounter, and daily. wasn't my cup of tea. too complicated for my old brain. there are a fair few posts on the sub for 4e.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It just doesn't nest quotes by default so that threads don't bloat out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Well, now I know!

• Locked thread