Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Wikipedia posted:

Queering is an interpretive method used in historical or literary study. It is based on the re-appropriated term "queer", used for LGBT issues, but used as a verb. "Queering" means to reevaluate or reinterpret a work with an eye to sexual orientation and/or to gender, by applying queer theory.

Basically, if you were to examine the traditional D&D trope of the drow being evil black-skinned people led by women, and discuss that maybe that's the stereotype surface people have, and why would that stereotype arise; do they feel threatened by women leaders, that could be queering D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

OtspIII posted:

It's funny, because Pundit and Avery Mcdaldno might actually agree on queering RPGs demanding the creation of something near-unrecognizable. One type of queering that I've heard her talk about is a pretty fundamental re-examination of the assumptions of tabletop RPGs, stripping away the 'a small team of enlightened heroes violently overcome The Enemy and assert the correctness of their world-view by use of force" core that's the basis of the vast majority of tabletop RPGs and replacing it with something more in line with the experiences of queer individuals. In other words, even something like Exalted might have a bunch of iconic queer characters, but if it's ultimately about combat and the use of force (either violent or social, in Exalted's case) then it's still drawing from a tradition of patriarchal colonialism.

The existence of Fantasy Friends shows it's possible to dramatically reconsider the PCs' priorities while still having a recognizable fantasy world. Likewise, Quinn Murphy's done some great work reexamining the drow.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 1, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Re crossbows: someone oughta read Warren Ellis's Crécy. In addition to being hella :britain:, it happens to show exactly why crossbowmen were so dangerous, the Pope banned their use in wars against other Christians. (They knew the reloading thing was a weakness. And, lo and behold, they applied their brains to it and came up with a solution.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

JcDent posted:

Wasn't Crecy a bow uber alles battle?

Yep. Crossbowmen were great but not as great as longbowmen, and there were a couple of key mistakes the French made. (Their crossbowmen were hired mercenaries.) They fought shortly after a rainstorm (bows could easily be unstrung and the strings kept dry, but not so for the crossbows) and screwed up their logistics train (the crossbowmen used shields to duck behind while reloading; these shields were stuck at the back of the train). Then when the crossbows had failed to produce the expected result, the French cavalry attacked their mercenaries while they were trying to retreat.

The thing about crossbows, though, is they didn't require anywhere near as much training as the longbow. That's what made them truly devastating; if you got the logistics right, you could field thousands of poorly-trained conscript soldiers and they would still be a deadly force.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yeah, I think Monsterhearts (like other PBTA games) hits a nice sweet spot in abstraction. Fate makes you think about "am I creating an advantage or overcoming an obstacle", D&D makes you have to figure out what skill something would fall under. PBTA games just have moves that are things you are likely to do in-fiction and I like that a lot.

This is only semi-grog-related, but I think this is the most relevant thread for it right now. I'm in the industry at a hobby level, and that largely on less popular/indie games. Every so often I hear about a horrible thing which has occurred (the consultants thing, the DTRPG gamergate thing, now apparently some thing involving Ken Hite and Zak S) after it's happened. For whatever reasons (largely self-protection, I think?) people rarely post links to the things that have happened; they just talk about them. So from my point of view, following largely folks who (I think) are upstanding people, I hear about horrible things for which I have no proof whatsoever. This makes it hard for me to decide what, if anything, I should do about them. (For instance, I didn't purchase D&D 5 when otherwise I might have, because the books look pretty.)

Any advice for somehow keeping more abreast of this poo poo? If someone asks me why I'm not playing D&D (again, for instance) I'd like to be able to speak more authoritatively than "Someone on the internet said they did a bad thing, and I believe that someone because we hang out on the same forum".

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Biomute posted:

It's equally inconceivable to say that in Apocalypse World. The rule is to do it, do it, and what you are describing is acting under fire. I'd be going "cool, so you're acting under fire, right?" and they would have to roll.

If it's a tense situation, yeah. But it it's just an ordinary lock and there's nobody coming round the corner to catch you in the action, I don't see how the move triggers.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Ken Hite thing was pretty much just me. I decided to not buy Kite's stuff in the future because he keeps promoting and associating with Zak.

I googled their two names, though, and I couldn't find anything apart from Ken having also been credited in D&D 5. So that was another example of "apparently a thing happened but I can't find any evidence of it". Not saying it didn't happen. Just saying I can't find poo poo and it bugs me to hear about stuff that I can't substantiate.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Kemper Boyd posted:

The Ken Hite thing was pretty much just me. I decided to not buy Kite's stuff in the future because he keeps promoting and associating with Zak.

I've arrived.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I like the word "milieu".

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Isn't Red and Pleasant Land just "Zak does Alice"? How the hell does that make anyone jealous?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It's his new book, the one which Zak claimed (in the Google Plus posting I screenshotted earlier) was the true reason Kemper was down on Ken Hite. The DTRPG description says it is perfect for your "first, second, third, fourth or fifth edition game". Because the only game in existence is D&D.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Man, I dunno. I always thought the "snakes are books" thing from Vornheim was pretty cool. (Someone posted a snippet of it in some thread here.) But there's a lot of folks making pretty cool stuff; I don't need to bring Zak's work into my mindspace.

(I like both snakes and books, see.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Well, like I said in my earlier post, it's easy to not notice the degree of his abrasive shitlordiness. Apparently he conducts most of his "activities" through private google+ posts and similar non-public things, right? When the whole consultants thing broke, it was easy to see Pundit's behavior, but Zak's was harder. I read some of the public forum threads he's posted in and saw he was a jerk, but being a jerk is not itself a crime and there are plenty of jerks who have written good books. So I then made a choice to believe people here when they said he'd done much worse things; the evidence for that was not readily available (and, frankly, still isn't). It's easy for me to imagine why someone who simply hadn't had the chance to talk with people here would come to a different conclusion.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Rulebook Heavily posted:

They're hard to prove, but when he does poo poo like go out of his way to track down an SA poster's real name and post it awkwardly six times to call them out the tactics tell their own story. He wants his sycophants and hangers-on to go attack people for him all the time, and he does it by essentially doxxing them over the tiniest poo poo.

To me, that's all the more reason to take the high road. You want to criticize Mandy, you can talk about how she tried to spin her group as being attacked by the RPG equivalent of Gamergate. That's legitimate. But if you start bringing her day job into things, it sounds like so much gossip.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

I get that he's mad that someone attacked his girlfriend but aren't the people who were doing that poo poo mostly gone from Trad Games now?

Just a page up thread of you:

moths posted:

(*Female "friends" whose careers involve being paid to have sex with him on film.)

So, yeah, I think it's still a point to be made.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Anti-Citizen posted:

The Culture looks at your attempts to have space nazis and RaHWa in space and apathetically has an orgy in your direction.

Let's be honest; there's a lot of space nazis and RaHWas in the Culture 'verse, just not within the Culture itself.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Phuzzy posted:

I get a lot of mileage out of FATE on that sort of stuff these days.

But that's because FATE is a perfect system and I'll hear no arguments. :colbert:

The problem with FATE is it's too abstract. PBtA games have "to do it, do it"; I don't have to "create an advantage" to give me leverage in a social attack, I just "shut someone down". To me it's very easy to slip into "well, I need a free aspect to tag if I want to succeed at stabbing this dude, so I better figure out what kind of advantage I can create" and then you're just playing the system, not the story. (That and the last few times I GM'd FATE, the players refused to deal with aspects except "I'm gonna spend a point to use my aspect as a +2".)

moths posted:

As much as I'd love to see GURPS: GURPS, I have no idea how you'd pull that off.

Why not GURPS d20?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Covok posted:

If you want an anime game that is better than BESM in everyway, try OVA.

Better than BESM is not exactly difficult. I had a look at one of the sample characters. It uses an advantage/disadvantage system and apparently powering up from solar energy is exactly as much a hinderance to your character as a megacorporation trying to hunt you down and dismantle you.

Are there any games worth using for a generic anime-themed thing (not GSS, for example) that don't have a weakness/disadvantage system like that?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

osirisisdead posted:

Whenever anyone gets into that stupid loving argument, I think of this picture and remember that their failure to find women outside of the petite-bourgeoisie princesses to which they are accustomed is only that, their failure.

This is amazing! Where's it from? (Google Image Search is mostly turning up Heroes of Newerth pages and I'm reasonably certain she's not a MoBA character.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
As noted, Mandy's post actually was posted before Ettin's. Which is on his Tumblr and pinned to his Twitter. Act now and you can also find his livetweeting of Australia's best new cuisine.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Paranoia and a persecution complex.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Luke Crane strapped on his "everyone else is doing it wrong" hat and talked for an hour.

Referring to Night Witches and Sagas of the Icelanders:

Luke Crane posted:

Vincent Baker designed all those games. He gave all of them permission to use their names instead of his. Vincent designed those games. [...] I give all the credit to Vincent. [...] Oh, right, this is all Vincent's stuff here, being retooled over and over again.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Tendales posted:

Nothing really grogs.txt dramatic, he just avoids digitial versions of his stuff, only does a single tiny print run of most of his stuff, that sort of thing. Like, pick any of his games. Then try to find a way to buy it. Good luck.

That's really only for the core Burning Wheel; you can buy PDFs of Mouse Guard and Torchbearer (and IIRC they're still in print).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Tulpa posted:

lol

By this logic, everything Luke Crane has ever designed should be credited to Jordan Weisman because Burning Wheel is just an extensive Shadowrun hack.

Speaking of hacks, guess what Crane just released? It's a Torchbearer hack for Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Plague of Hats posted:

Math can be surprisingly hard for some people, even what seems super simple. It's really not mockable like a bad opinion.

There's a thing called dyscalculia which is like the math version of dyslexia. I have a netfriend who has it; she's great at geometry and topology, but incredibly bad at all other forms of math. It's a legitimate thing.

And even without that, there's plenty of people out there who if you asked them "what's the lowest and highest possible rolls you could get when rolling three six-sided dice" would go "uhhh" or give a wrong answer, even if they graduated from high school. I feel like people would not be making so much fun of this lady's trouble with math were she in a different occupation (and also not friends with a grade A shithead).

• Locked thread