Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
How dare they use the social occasion to socialize! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What's with lovely webcomics and using so many loving words?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chaltab posted:

It can't possibly be that anyone just legitimately doesn't want to be associated with an internet hate group. Always a damned consipiracy with these people. Pundit, examine what you're smoking more carefully because I think it's rotting your brain.

Yeah, I have to agree. When you have to resort to buzzwords like "illuminati" and "facism" I think you may have hosed up.

Of course, if you're using buzzwords like that unironically in the first place then you're pretty deep in some kind of hole.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

It's basically identical, only they added in weapon speed, most likely because a dude with an axe attacking as quickly as a dude with a dagger would be too anime and video game-y for this RPG adaptation of an anime video game.

Weapon weight is a statistic in FE games up to 12, when they decided it was dumb. Besides the half-luck adding to hit thing, this system is a carbon copy of how the Game Boy Advance Fire Emblem games handle the numbers.

It's not a very friendly system to use when you have to calculate the numbers yourself.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Azran posted:

Hahahaha determining growth rate randomly. :shepicide:

WHAT'S EVEN THE POINT OF THAT 1D4 + 28.

I got 1 on the 1d4, so I have 29 points. I went 5 strength, 2 magic, 6 skill, 6 speed, 4 luck, 5 defense, 1 resistance. Pretty average build for a level 1 Lord but sort of wimpy. What's the Lord's base HP and specified dice? I'm going to imagine it's somewhere around 18 HP after all is said and done, since so many FE Lords have that at level 1, so I'll use that for my hypothetical.

For growths I rolled 60/40/40/20/40/20/40/40 for a growth total of 300%. We have a word for characters with this low of average growths. It's "bad." I'll assign them in order. Using pretty mundane endgame Fire Emblem levels of 20/10, or 29 level-ups, Lordy has, rounding up, 35 HP, 16 strength, 14 magic, 12 skill, 18 speed, 10 luck, 18 defense, and 14 resistance. This doesn't include promotion bonuses but even with those Lordy is a weakling. His bad HP undermines the decent defense, his speed is passable at best, and the rest is disappointing to terrible. The promise of being a mixed attacker is lost on the lack of access to magical tomes. Magical melee weapons being strength-based in this system kills some of the fun.

Let's use cool character that is good and fun Ike, the main character of FE9, for a contrast. At the same level he'd have 46 HP, 23 strength, 9 magic, 23 skill, 25 speed, 16 luck, 20 defense, and 13 resistance. This is what a cool, fun, good character looks like. Ike is a person on whom you can rely. He can stand on the front lines and kick asses. Lordy is a mush compared. The dice rolls are weighted towards lower amounts so your characters end up weaker, and a lot blander. With so many 40%s Lordy is at the whims of dice rolls after being brutalized by dice rolls.

Of course, you could go weird with the bases, and frankly having lopsided stats is probably for the best since you can't really play with growths. The average 320% total these rolls produce could be a lot more interesting to use if you could distribute them more freely, but really, why are the random growths randomly determined?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Azran posted:

I mean, I don't like roleplaying characters and I absolutely love tactical combat (main reason as for why I play 4e). Even then, I don't see the point of minmaxing. I mean, if there's no challenge where's the fun.

I imagine there'd be appeal in a ridiculously powerful campaign, where the players have minmaxed to hell and back and are fighting incredible monsters. poo poo, that's how I'd play. The points where preference becomes grog is if you believe your way to play is inherently better than others, that the people enjoying the other ways are having fun wrong, you have difficulty communicating this difference in preference besides being passive-aggressive on internet forums, and you connect regressive social opinions to how you play elfgames.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Wasn't the threshold for old school the 70's like 15 years ago?

Will it stay there until the last person who played in the 70's dies?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tollymain posted:

the enormous majority of sa having absolutely nothing to do with tradgames is actually a big smokescreen, there are no real posters outside tgd, just bots

So that's what I've been doing all this time? Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bendigeidfran posted:

If a fighter hides behind a rock or climbs a wall, you're no longer playing a game.]

Jesus, not even a "they climb really poorly and slowly and will probably fall off without aid" but a flat out "can't". A non-thief looks at a ladder and cries in frustration because they are literally incapable of utilizing it.

• Locked thread