Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Hmm. That post about necrotic cysts and mind control is going to be saved if the players IMC ever make it to Evil Federation Ruled By Aboleths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
This seems quite self-explanatory. Reminds me of the horror of FATAL.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Do I have to be the one to remind the thread that Pundit literally believes he is a wizard who knows real magic?
So Pundit is trying to be the RPG love child of Alan Moore and Mark Millar?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Whenever people talk about Cultural Marxism in a negative fashion, they're drawing upon this conspiracy theory.

Basically the idea for representation and diversity of women, LGBT people, and people of color stems from a Communist plot to demonize straight white males.
I've never met a straight white male with a persecution complex I didnt just want to punch in the face. Amazing how these things are a self fulfilling prophecy.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Well, all those issues brought up in the "Five Destructive Myths" article could basically apply to wider American popular culture. They are basically how high school history used to be shittily taught. lovely movies like Avatar and Dances With Wolves push the same ideas.

They also forgot to mention Whig history.

Doesnt mean we shouldnt critique them in the context of RPGs though.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
There's a game a bunch of people in this thread should be playing.

Its called Heroquest.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Because Heroquest puts feats of strength and prowess on the same narrative level as magic, and everyone has access to magic.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I tried searching for Heroquest and all I'm getting is a Robin D Laws game with very generic mechanics - it's almost FATE-like in how freeform it is. Did you mean something else?
That's the one I'm talking about. Its quite crunchy when it starts intersecting with Glorantha cults, and a lot of its underlying structure made it into the latest version of Pendragon.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

osirisisdead posted:

I meant literary theory.

A literary critic can study Plato and apply his ideas. Plato was not a literary critic.

If I use some ideas from the Bible, that doesn't make me a prophet.
You know who else refuses to use literary theory?

Fundamentalists.

It's like grog and fundamentalism are closely linked on a deep level. Probably because they both emerge out of an American textual tradition heavily geared towards reading things literally.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd take that bet. Gamergate is far more "fedora atheist" then anything else.

Fundamentalism isn't the property of religion alone. Go back and read that Pundit quote.
Fedora atheists are mostly, deeply shaped by American fundamentalism. It's like they use the same textual tools, but where Christian fundamentalists are like, "God did it," Fedora atheists are like, "THIS MAKES NO SENSE! ITS ALL LIES!!!!!!!!"

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

osirisisdead posted:

I suspect that they're mostly the angry children of abusive American Fundamentalists.
Some.

Many also become angry and frustrated about being forced to conform to a fundamentalist environment.

However, many atheists also come from mainline Protestant churches, and are looking for a system of belief that is more zealous and more dogma driven that mainline Christianity. I read an article outlining the research into this. Can't find it at the moment, unfortunately.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Doodmons posted:

Perhaps a better comparison is that I can't think of anyone I know who's into boardgames that plays just one. Even people who are heavily into Twilight Imperium play other poo poo because hey, maybe you don't feel like cracking it out this weekend and want to try something new. As somebody with a literal shelf of RPGs they've never managed to play I honestly can't even begin to understand the viewpoint of only ever wanting to play a single game and nothing else. I just like new stuff.
I definitely know people who only play Settlers. Or did.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

The Q:A part of Dragon has the most incredible poo poo if you go back far enough. Wasn't there one where one dude was like "why can't my half-orc or my elf be resurrected" and the literal official Dragon response was "You don't have a soul?" And then there was a serious back and forth between Dragon and Random People Sending Letters trying to ruleslawyer whether or not half-orcs or elves have souls. There was another one where the question was just "I am pregnant, what do I do" and the Dragon response was "WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE KEEP MAILING US THIS?!"
The elves or half-orcs not being resurrected thing was I think originally a lame, game balance thing. The not having souls bit, I think comes straight out of some readings of Tolkien.

Edit: I remember there being a clear distinction that elves had spirits rather than souls, and could therefore be reincarnated through the druid spell. I think by second edition, they could be be resurrected or raised.

ascendance fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 20, 2015

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

jadarx posted:

In this question, are they asking for rules for being pregnant or is it some player trying to get parenting advice?
Both? Don't unerestimate the effects of abstinenc-only sex education.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Bendigeidfran posted:

Racial restrictions were the strangest poo poo in those days. Dwarves were just fine then?
I think only halflings and humans had souls. maybe dwarves. my DMG is on the nightstand and my wife is asleep.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

drunkencarp posted:

This provoked several responses in later issues, although not nearly as many as the guy who claimed banded mail didn't exist or the guy who thought low-level magic-users were underpowered.
Actually, women who are married to powerful men and widowed in an extremely patriarchal culture end up with a lot of political power. See: Benazir Bhutto, Indira Gandhi, Dowager Empress CIxi. Power is invested into clans and families, so the ostensible head of the clan ends with all that power, even with a woman. This guy just knows poo poo about Asian culture.

I thought the argument was that splint mail and banded mail didn't exist in Medieval Western Europe, and were based on Oakeshott's misinterpretation of medieval illustrations. Studded leather armor didn't exist either. Basically, chain mail was drawn in a lot of different ways, as was brigandine armor. I mean, banded armor existed as lorica segmenta, scale mail existed as lorica squamata, and splint mail (or lamellar) was used by a lot of near eastern cultures, but none of them were used in the high middle ages/early renaissance that D&D pretends to be.

Basically, everything wrong about weapons and armor in D&D can be traced back to the fact Gary Gygax relied heavily on one very dated source.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

drunkencarp posted:

Y'all's commitment to refuting 28-year-old grog is super commendable.
Given the nature of grog, there are people still rehashing these 28 year old arguments, so why the gently caress not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Bushmeister posted:

The mustard man, with his painstakingly elaborate grognards-idea-of-medieval-europe-but-with-orcs-and-no-gays-version of D&D, always struck me as the ur-grog. To hell with Tarnowski and Zak and Frank and all the others, here's a guy who's so deeply entrenched in his vision of the game he doesn't even need players at the table. If anything, players with their pesky "ideas" and "wants" are errors that need to be corrected, since they do not match up to what he has build his version of D&D to be. It is some sort of fantastical sci-fi construct, an Asimov robot broken by the Three Rules in a way that both mystifies and horrifies.
This is how ppl I know intend to run WFRP, but for some reason, players always get sidetracked by chaos cultists, beastmen, and skaven.

• Locked thread