Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ascendance posted:

This seems quite self-explanatory. Reminds me of the horror of FATAL.

This is loving hilarious, but probably bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

rkajdi posted:

Storygamers are just people who play different games that aren't "real" RPGs. A lot of the games the don't like are more "openly" designed (like Apocalypse World) or ones that are made to be more about the narrative than direct combat ability (Capes/Truth & Justice vs. Champions/Silver Age Sentinels in the supers department)

The best analogy I can come up with is that these games are hated the same way "core gamers" hate video games like Gone Home. Stodgy old white guys get afraid that other people will enter "their" hobby and take it over.

Maybe if Gone Home was good and told an interesting story people would've liked it.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Libertad! posted:

This might sound dismissive, but why should we care?

Part of the reason I'm saying this is that I know a few folks IRL who have some out there beliefs (aliens and flying saucers, tarot card reading, etc), but a lot of these beliefs are more or less harmless and so I don't really judge or mock. Given that quite a bit of Americans believe in pseudoscience stuff like astrology having some validity (according to public opinion polls), a person's beliefs in the supernatural is not as out there.

Pundit believing that magic is real, and using that as an avenue to mock him, is pretty weaksauce thing to do and focus on in light of all the other stuff he says and does.

I like that the Wikipedia page for the guy who made Glorantha (which is a great setting) has this as its first sentence:

quote:

Francis Gregory Stafford (born February 9, 1948, in St. Mary's Hospital, Waterbury, Hartford, Connecticut[1]), usually known as Greg Stafford, is an American game designer, publisher, and practitioner of shamanism.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Holy hit, Kikestarter, that's...

Wow.

Welcome to 4chan post /pol/.

It's a shame that moot let /pol/ go on for so long. 4chan should be a dumb site for discussing anime and video games and other poo poo, not politics of any kind, left or right. God knows I don't wanna talk about that poo poo in public, let alone on the internet.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

The last time moot got rid of /new/, /int/, and /pol/, they went after him IRL.

They didn't do a good job of it this time, apparently. All I saw was a very sad attempt at doxxing his mom, and I don't even think it was the right woman. For all their talk, /pol/ is just Tumblr for Stormfront; a really ineffective and politically stupid collective of people who whine about everything at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

I went down to Laredo a few days back to meet Tracy. We hadn't really hit it up since Dragonlance took off, which put a lot of strain on his commitments. Hell, it put a pretty heavy strain on his family life, but that's a story for another time. Anyways, it's tough for me going down to Laredo, now that I'm older. We had a few epic games there back in the day. Things were easier back then, the grongnards'll say. So I thought I'd ask a real veteran about how things are going in the D&D world now that we've got over thirty years experience each slinging dice.

I met up with Tracy and we went and had a few beers at the Stockade, which is where I used to game back in the day with some Chicano boys on my way to Mexico. This was about the time I was based down in Amarillo and would get down Mexico way every other weekend to stock up and blow off some steam. Anyways, Tracy and me got talking about 5E and it was pretty interesting to get his spin on things. Said he's glad they're back to mentioning Dragonlance again. Not many folks know it but there was a time that Dragonlance was a dirty word up at WoTC. Turns out the penpushers thought it was real bad publicity: too 80s, not enough edge, not enough bite. Ed Greenwood hated DL with a passion, because it got in the way of his pet projects. Feeling was mutual, too. Forgotten Realms was what you got when you took a reader's digest of the Lord of the Rings and crossed it with your 9th grade world history social studies textbook.

Anyways, we had a few beers and shot the breeze. It was pretty good, too. Nice, cool fall day in Laredo. Thinking of the old times was giving me a chubby, which at my age is a saving grace, I'll tell you what. So we thought about crossing the border and hitting a sauna or something. Hell, I'm getting old for this. Now I've got to be clear that I ain't queer. Sometimes, when dudes get together, stuff happens. That's just what guys do. No one needs to know who gets done, or what goes on. What happens, happens, and that don't make no one gay.

So we drove down the Rio Grande embankment in my 4x4, with my jeans and cowboy boots creaking. Hell, it'd been a long time since I'd suited up in proper getup. I bought mine at an old cowboy denim shop in Amarillo. Now there are about a thousand and one ways to have some fun in Amarillo, but there's an old game store where you can still meet some grognards who never shacked up and, hell, we all need to bust a nut from time to time. Don't make no one gay, just to be clear.

Well, I'm digressing now, long story short, I think I'll rev up the new 5E books and give em a roll. Looking forward to spending some time with my buddies slinging dice, drinking beer like the old days in my basement. There's a bedroom upstairs. You do your business there and you come back down. Ten minutes apart. Vegas rules, man. What goes on upstairs, stays upstairs. Rubbers are in the top drawer on the bedside table. Got some Astroglide, too - it's open. The TV's playing a couple of good Ben Dover flicks, suit up, finish up, and come back down. What you say, partner. Ready to sling some dice?
I was immediately reminded of this for some reason.

• Locked thread