Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which NBA team could UK probably beat?
This poll is closed.
Lakers 7 10.14%
Sixers 11 15.94%
Nuggets 1 1.45%
None of them, this is the stupidest ESPN meme ever 50 72.46%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Declan MacManus posted:

Rams championship aspirations on track after one game

oooo wah oooo

What's up with that VCU guy who had his head smashed into the floor? Is he going to be out for a good while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Was thinking about going to the Iowa game tonight, but I'd have to pay more to park than I would for the ticket, and that just annoys me on principle.

Also, my adopted second team (because games are so close and cheap), the mighty Drake Bulldogs, lost by 19 to Bowling Green on Saturday. Drake was a 3 point favorite, so that's probably not a good sign.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Was thinking about going to the Iowa game tonight, but I'd have to pay more to park than I would for the ticket, and that just annoys me on principle.

Just park somewhere else and walk, ya wuss.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Any recommendations? I think I've almost always parked in the pay lots just because every other lot I've found says you need a parking pass. I have definitely parked in one of those lots before though and not gotten a ticket, so I don't know how strictly it is enforced.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Kansas is a slight favorite going into tomorrow night's game. The first two games of the season were a mixed bag for UK. We'll see how the team responds, but I have to imagine we'll see a better effort than what they gave against Grand Canyon.

I think Duke's probably going to have it's way against Michigan State in the other game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CBS was the only place I saw that and Vegas has UK favored. It isn't like KU has looked dominant yet either.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Why are Alexander and Oubre not getting any minutes? Whats the deal?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kiimo posted:

CBS was the only place I saw that and Vegas has UK favored. It isn't like KU has looked dominant yet either.

I guess this means we need to get ready for all of the turnovers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Why are Alexander and Oubre not getting any minutes? Whats the deal?

First, we are only one game into it, but Alexander is still adjusting to where he needs to be defensively and working not to get in foul trouble. He got two quick fouls against the Gauchos. Freshmen don't usually get a lot of minutes early for Kansas, Embiid didn't start for a while last year. He's been great though, he'll be starting by Big 12 play for sure.

Oubre is a bit more complicated. He's a competitor but he has already dinged a guy in the nuts and yelled back at Coach Self (not wise). Self said he's still adjusting to practice and getting the AAU out of him and waved it off with a "he's just young". So a bit of freshmen adjustment and a bit of being in the doghouse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Any recommendations? I think I've almost always parked in the pay lots just because every other lot I've found says you need a parking pass. I have definitely parked in one of those lots before though and not gotten a ticket, so I don't know how strictly it is enforced.

Depends on how far you want to walk, I guess I lived like a mile away and always walked, so I'm used to it. There's often street parking around the dental building though, or in that neighborhood around there.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Pretty pumped about our game against Baylor tomorrow. We played very well against them on the road last year, so here's hoping we can at least match that effort and maybe steal a win.

On a more general note, it's really fun being part of the hoops marathon, since we're never a part of anything else on the national stage :unsmith: :smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Holy poo poo the UMKC Roos, who beat Missouri, are now leading K-State 19-10.

Let's go...the kangaroos.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Miami beat Florida in Gainesville. CBB how I've missed you

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

kiimo posted:

Holy poo poo the UMKC Roos, who beat Missouri, are now leading K-State 19-10.

Let's go...the kangaroos.

Although they ended up losing by ten, I'm hoping that actually close games come to be a consistent thing for the Roos this season :unsmith:. We've had a rough few years.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Stanford just slammed the brakes on the undefeated season hype train that ESPN had been building up for the UConn women's team with an 88-86 win in OT. Really great game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

I think Duke's probably going to have it's way against Michigan State in the other game.
Yup. It's going to suck.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

dude789 posted:

Stanford just slammed the brakes on the undefeated season hype train that ESPN had been building up for the UConn women's team with an 88-86 win in OT. Really great game.

Provided we take care of business, hopefully this means our women will take over the No. 1 spot in the next poll.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU beat Georgia State 81-58 last night. Niang was pretty cold, but Naz Long hit some key threes, and there was pretty good contribution from all of the starters. 10 people saw playing time, but that was due to the blow out. I didn't realize that Kevin Ware, of the snapped leg, is now playing for Georgia State.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Dirty Chub posted:

Miami beat Florida in Gainesville. CBB how I've missed you

Yeah I can't figure out how that one slipped away. We had a 15 point lead.

I guess being down 4 guys, including 3 starters (Chris Walker, Murphy, Finney-Smith) was just too much to overcome. We also just need time to figure stuff out once everyone is healthy. Outside of Michael Frazier, this team is totally new.

Billy will get them playing right.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

RumbleFish posted:

Provided we take care of business, hopefully this means our women will take over the No. 1 spot in the next poll.

Probably. That USC/Tennessee game is going to be great and probably decide the SEC regular season champion. I have to warn you though, Tennessee is looking really, really good. Already a lot better than last year.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Meltathon posted:

ISU beat Georgia State 81-58 last night. Niang was pretty cold, but Naz Long hit some key threes, and there was pretty good contribution from all of the starters. 10 people saw playing time, but that was due to the blow out. I didn't realize that Kevin Ware, of the snapped leg, is now playing for Georgia State.

I was kind of surprised to hear his name last night. I'd assumed that leg break was career ending.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The Hogs have a home schedule this year that is pretty weak compared to last year where we had Florida, Kentucky, and Missouri come to town.

Non-conference: Wake Forest, Delaware State, North Texas, Iona, Dayton, UW-Milwaukee, Northwestern State, UVU

Conference: Vandy, Ole Miss, Bama, Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M, LSU

Still bought season tickets like a sucker. I really like the look of the team. Granted it has been exhibitions and Alabama State so far, but it seems like we actually have some depth this year. Our big problem last year was we did roughly nothing when our starting five were sitting. Portis in particular looks like he will be a monster this year. Long way to go but I think this is the season we might go dancing again.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Meltathon posted:

Yeah, they are using him for marketing stuff since that Final Four was in Atlanta. He was never really that good at UL but he's very good compared to the rest of State's team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

double post

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thoguh posted:

I was kind of surprised to hear his name last night. I'd assumed that leg break was career ending.

Think I read somewhere a leg break isn't nearly as bad as, say, a liquidated knee or the like. Basically, you can bolt up the leg and wait for the tendons to heal, but once the ACLs or Achilles heel stuff start getting messed up, that's when it starts becoming bad news. But it might have been just some comments here and not actual doctor know-how, so I could be wrong.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

he's very good compared to the rest of State's team.

RJ Hunter is one of the best players in the country and significantly better than Ware was even before he got a hurt.

Iowa beat the poo poo out of a North Dakota St team that was pretty solid last year. We were just way too big. I'm still not really in love with our guard play though. Too many turnovers and we've had some dumb defensive lapses. Hopefully that gets cleaned up or the next one against Texas could get ugly.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
N: Wake Forest blew out a "decent-for-a-lesser-conference" Tulane team on the road, 71-49. It was projected to be close. Our defense was boss, holding a usually good 3 point shooting team to 1-20. It was only even that close because of 15 Wake turnovers.

V: A road blowout in our favor. Oh my god we might have a real coach. Arkansas is salivating right now given how badly we've handled pressure in the first two games but holy poo poo I am happy with this start.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Think I read somewhere a leg break isn't nearly as bad as, say, a liquidated knee or the like. Basically, you can bolt up the leg and wait for the tendons to heal, but once the ACLs or Achilles heel stuff start getting messed up, that's when it starts becoming bad news. But it might have been just some comments here and not actual doctor know-how, so I could be wrong.

It all depends on the severity of the break. If it's a clean break, it's really not that bad at all. If it's not clean, you're opened up to a world of potential trouble.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

tadashi posted:

Yeah, they are using him for marketing stuff since that Final Four was in Atlanta. He was never really that good at UL but he's very good compared to the rest of State's team.

Very good compared to some of them, I guess, but Georgia State is full of high D1 talent actually. RJ Hunter was better than Ware before he got hurt and Ryan Harrow probably is too. And they'll have Jeremy Hollowell after this season - he sucked at Indiana but if he figures out that he has to really practice at this level he has plenty of talent. Georgia Southern has a good shot at the NCAAs this year and probably next year too.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Fisticuffs posted:

Very good compared to some of them, I guess, but Georgia State is full of high D1 talent actually. RJ Hunter was better than Ware before he got hurt and Ryan Harrow probably is too. And they'll have Jeremy Hollowell after this season - he sucked at Indiana but if he figures out that he has to really practice at this level he has plenty of talent. Georgia Southern has a good shot at the NCAAs this year and probably next year too.
I forgot they ended up with Ryan Harrow. That dude sure has had an odd career.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

Ehud posted:

Yeah I can't figure out how that one slipped away.

You're an SEC team in November

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Grittybeard posted:

What's up with that VCU guy who had his head smashed into the floor? Is he going to be out for a good while?

He has a concussion and hasn't been cleared to play yet. Probably going to be held out for another week or so as a precaution.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Cocks dropped another close to one to Baylor, 69-65. Defensively, the team looks much improved, but the offense is still a work in progress. Ty Johnson and Sindarius Thornwell are great and played the way we needed them to, but they can't keep carrying the scoring load in every game; our bigs have to get involved. Marcus Stroman, a freshman guard, looked excellent and could end up being really good for us, so that was exciting to see.

Basically, this roster is full of good/great guards and lacks true, back-to-the-basket post players. In other words, business as usual at South Carolina...

dude789 posted:

Probably. That USC/Tennessee game is going to be great and probably decide the SEC regular season champion. I have to warn you though, Tennessee is looking really, really good. Already a lot better than last year.

I'm planning to be there, so I'm excited about that. This team has a lot of expectations this year and I'd really like to see them take that next step. For as good as we've been, we've lacked the kind of pure shooters that Tennessee has and it's killed us in tournament play. Hopefully A'ja Wilson and her fellow freshmen will finally bring that element to the roster.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
N: The NCAA finally sees reason, the round of 64 and round of 32 will be called "first round" and "second round" again.

V: This is literally the best move the NCAA has made in years.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Guys, I'm seriously so happy to be excited about basketball again. The Bzdelik Era was hellish but it's over. :unsmith:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Des Moines finally gets the NCAA tournament 1st/2nd round in 2016. Of course, I am planning to move next year, so I probably won't be in Iowa anymore. Which seems about right...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

Des Moines finally gets the NCAA tournament 1st/2nd round in 2016. Of course, I am planning to move next year, so I probably won't be in Iowa anymore. Which seems about right...

Seems like a pretty good excuse for my yearly trip home. Glad that dumb arena is doing something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pleasantly surprised by MSU's performance against Duke. They made it a very competitive game until it got blown open in an extremely short timeframe. Matt Costello sucking out there makes me really miss Payne though.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just saw the Kansas/Kentucky score, what's the scoop on that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OctoberBlues posted:

I just saw the Kansas/Kentucky score, what's the scoop on that one?

Kentucky is the best team in the country and it's probably not close. This will make their tournament meltdown that much sweeter.

• Locked thread