Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Dang, that's an awful lot different than the last interview I read with him.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/people/article/64919-four-questions-for-foxcatcher-author-mark-schultz.html

quote:

Do you feel like the depiction of du Pont in the movie, and your relationship with him, is fair?

It's fairly fair. I never looked at du Pont like a mentor, father figure, leader or role model. I tried my best to keep my distance, but it was difficult. I spent almost no time on the mat with du Pont; I think the only time I ever did was one time I head locked him to his back for a documentary he was making on himself trying to act like he could coach wrestling. On screen, Carell wasn't as gross as du Pont was in real life. Carell's du Pont is cleaner and more sympathetic, but I see now how necessary it was for the movie to portray du Pont in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/MarkSchultzy/ I don't think Mark likes this movie anymore.

There's a bunch of other tweets that he deleted called the director a "punk", "pussy", and "die die die die die" repeatedly. His Facebook posts makes it sound like he read a few reviews about the tension in that night wrestling scene, and he's flipping out that people are commenting on a possible homosexual subtext.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I'm a way better wrestler than my brother, and totally not gay, guys.

Has anyone read his book he just released, Foxcatcher: The True Story of My Brother's Murder, John du Pont's Madness, and the Quest for Olympic Gold? I was curious, but some of the reviews make it sound like it's mostly a story about Mark's career and technical wrestling minutia, and that DuPont doesn't show up til 2/3rds of the way through the book.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I can't believe he's making such a big deal about 1: how good of a wrestler he is and how much better he was than his dead brother, who he supposedly idolizes and respects. 2: how he was ok with a part of the movie but now he's mad because some critics thought of it a certain way.

I mean, some of his points are ridiculous, because he's definitely done interviews where the yeah, the details are off, but the feel remains the same. He's complaining about one wrestling scene might be construed as homosexual subtext, when he almost named his book after John wanting to grab his testicles.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201411/foxcatcher-mark-schultz-john-du-pont-secrets-movie-tatum-ruffalo

quote:

SCHULTZ: Du Pont was so weak, he couldn't defend himself against anybody. That's why he carried a gun around. It was like Richie Rich, all grown up and hooked on drugs. That is exactly what Du Pont was like. At one point I actually thought he cared about me, but it was a weird feeling, like there might have been something sexual to it.

TPG: What do you mean?
SCHULTZ: I told him this story one time about my very first match at Oklahoma. It was against Don Shuler. I was beating him 4-0, and this was the only match I never won at home. He reversed my hand, and he had my hand pinned down against his groin. His testicles were in my hand, so I just squeezed my hand and he popped off like a champagne cork. I only gave up two points instead of four and I tied him.

When I told Du Pont that story, his eyes lit up, like "Oh, you mean it's acceptable to grab someone's balls?" No, it's not. It's a one-time thing that happened. And then he invented this move called the 'Foxcatcher Five.' I almost named my book after this. Basically, it was just him grabbing someone's balls. One time, he came up to me and was like "Here comes the Foxcatcher Five" and I looked at him like, "You touch me and you're dead."

And complaining that they didn't show enough of his victories. They showed him at home with that giant shelf full of medals and trophies; I think the audience got the point that he was pretty good at wrestling. And the big victory in the middle of the movie! His crazy breakdown almost makes me like his characterization more, because he is just so drat defensive about being the best, which definitely comes through in Channing's portrayal.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe they should have just shown him winning titles and then had his brother show up and subsequently die in a postscript during the credits.

(PS GREATEST WRESTLER EVER AND TOTALLY NOT A HOMO)

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

From that interview:

Also I'm going to start grabbing people's balls and instead of saying "no homo" I'm going to say "Mark Schultz, bro."

I want that in the extended edition and all of the critics' quotes on the blu-ray cover to be Mark Schultz tweets.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

I recently saw a few of his Twitter posts saying how he has to speak in praise of the film until award season is over or something. Either way he seems like a loving nutbag.

Oh man, if this is praise, I can't wait til after the Oscars.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Schultz did do cocaine with du Pont, and said he was forced to do things like write him birthday cards saying that he loved him. And du Pont possibly fired another coach for refusing his advances and then settled out of court about it later. Movie wise, it feels to me like certain scenes were changed around, but the basic gist of du Pont being a creepy, controlling nutjob were kept. It's different in the details, but it doesn't seem like it's "full of poo poo" to me.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

If he would have just talked about how he never did coke with Dupont or was never slapped by him, the reaction would have been totally different. One of the tweets came across as him making sure everybody knows he's no homo, but actually I can see how that may have been misconstrued. He says suggesting that he had a sexual relationship with DuPont is "sick", but he may have just meant that it would be horrible for people to think he was that close to the guy who murdered Dave.

But he did actually do coke with du Pont. And also cut his hair, and had to write him birthday cards saying how much he loved him. That relationship seemed super hosed up no matter if you're going from the film's POV or Mark's.

Also lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
He must really want an invite to the Oscar afterparties.

• Locked thread