Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What a great idea for a thread!

Shadowrun for the SNES had a hidden developer room. This is extremely cool because it can be accessed without using any game cheats or anything! And even more fascinating is that it wasn't discovered until, when asked in Retro Gamer magazine about 6 months ago, the developers revealed there was indeed a hidden area no one ever discovered.

http://tcrf.net/Shadowrun

quote:

There is a cheat in the game, but I can't remember exactly how to do it. Basically, there is a flickering streetlight in the first street area after you wake up from the morgue. If you examine the Matchbox four times around the flickering light, you're teleported to a cheat room that contains a bunch of upgrades and gives access to all of the levels

There is an easter egg in the game. A certain dance around a lamppost in the main square that was put in for QA. I wish I could remember the actual cheat but it was 20 years ago

Even the devs forgot how to access it but they couldn't believe no one figured it out, ever. I always found that impressive because I assumed the TCRF.net people just combed through code to look for stuff. I know nothing about game code, though!

I also particularly like when stuff is left out for seemingly no reason (perhaps by accident?):

http://tcrf.net/Killer_Instinct_%28Game_Boy%29

TJ Combo's alternate stage (with the car/graffiti) complete with the music for that stage. Both the stage and music are inaccessible in the game for reasons no one can figure out. My guess was it was an oversight.

This final one is all sorts of :stare:

http://tcrf.net/Front_Mission:_Gun_Hazard

I remember finding this back in 1997 when I helped with an SNES website and everyone thought I was nuts; people who tried doing it when I said told me that it was probably hacked into the ROM by the group that ripped it or whatever. But nope, there's a racial tirade voicemail that's for some reason hidden in a Squaresoft game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Sampling is something video games do a lot, and Japanese games usually sample English clips. It tends to sound 'cooler' to a Japanese person than sampled Japanese would, and Japanese players would usually have enough knowledge of English to pick up on basic phrases/terms. As an example of something else weird being sampled, the final boss theme of Sonic Rush samples a Malcolm X speech.

More than likely, they put it in after the end credits as a neat little touch, something to add to the gritty tone of the thing. Even after the game is over, there's still going to be violence. The fact that it's a weird racist tirade is probably a result of whoever slipped it in having enough knowledge of English to know it was a violent threat, but not enough to realize that it was racially motivated.

It's only even weirder because of how well it's hidden; when you rip the audio from the SNES ROM it just sounds like a long hi-pitched beep and it turns out you have to reverse the clip and then slow it down by like 16x. So they either went out of their way to hide it, or that is simply just some sort of compression technique perhaps.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of GBA, I would love for tcrf.net to examine GBA ports of games. I noticed FFVI Advance doesn't have a page there, and I'd love to see differences between something like the Earthbound VC WiiU release, the GBA port, and the SNES version. Stuff like that.

I know that's such an incredible task though, and I would wish that kind of workload on nobody. But it would be rad as hell.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There's a picture from Nintendo Power that I cannot find right now in which Howard Phillips is playing that early prototype of Super Mario World (on an SNES that looked nothing like any SNES released anywhere). I can't find the picture right now but it proves that the prototype cart at least made it to the US. He was selling prototype carts on eBay a while back but sadly none of them were of that super-early version.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I love TCRF.net :allears:

RodShaft posted:

Doesn't the Game cube Mario Kart have the fuel arcade version unlockable with a action reply code too?

No but you are probably confusing it with the fact that people managed to get the arcade version of Mario Kart running on the Wii using something called Triforce.

Other interesting reads if you haven't heard their origins (or the cheats in the first place):

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/General/BFG/Crazy-Glitched-Sim-City-Cart/first
This one is where people discover the SNES Sim City had a "God Mode" 18 years after the games release. Very interesting to read the posts as they slowly figure out what's going on.

Somewhat similar is someone discovering "God Mode" in Super Metroid 19 years after the games release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ZyC0mflU4

• Locked thread