Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Hello there,

I made this post. And then I figured I'm probably not the only person being tall. What cars are recommended for "us folks" for daily driving?

Are you tall? Tell us about your car.

I'll change the OP once the votes are in.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
For what purpose? I am 6'6" and drive a new fiat 500 Abarth and a 08 crown vic for dailies. I'm real too tall for the STi with a helmet and stick seat but have that as well for racing. And ordered a new ram 3500 for towing.

E: didn't catch the link in the post. But I drove a miata for a couple of weeks before tearing it apart for the exocet build. I could look over the windscreen and could not full release the clutch if I was wearing shoes because my knees would jam up between the wheel and door. Also no left turn signal because my knee was also in the way.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 17, 2014

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Holdbrooks posted:

For what purpose?

Daily driving.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Grawl posted:

Daily driving.

If you want more of a go cart the fiat is pretty good. It has a tall roof and more upright seating position. Everyone always ask how I fit in it but it as real big inside. But the cough of wheels that is the CVPI is really awesome everyday on lovely roads here in AZ.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

6'4” here and I made a NB Miata work... But it was never properly comfortable. Even my Grand Cherokee has my head drat close to the headliner.

The only cars I've driven that were well and truly comfortable (as in, could stretch my legs out) have been the W210 E Class Mercedes (great but hellishly unreliable) and the LX platform Dodge Charger. It has a stupid amount of obnoxious things that I would have to get used to, like awful HVAC controls, but I could stretch my legs without even having the seat back. Gas mileage isn't great though, especially for something that doesn't really feel any sportier than my CRV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a friend who is 6'10" and the only car he's found that he fits in is an 80's Crown Vic.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
6'2 and I really like the room in my Grand Marquis. I've had a 93' corolla, 95 mustang, 03' focus and an 09 Jetta. This is the most comfortable car, if it had seat warmers I'd never get rid of it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm not terribly tall, only 6', but I'm overweight and have a very tall torso, so I have some similar issues. My head is almost on the headliner in my S60R, and it was the same way with my 96 legacy, though interestingly that car was roomier than the R. I have real issues with rear view mirrors blocking forward right visibility. The S60R isn't too bad and I had no issues in the legacy, but I drove a G8 GT and it was bad, a 2014 mustang was even worse, and I could not drive a BRZ (even though I fit in it just fine) because the rear view mirror blocked the most of the right side of the windshield.

The S60R is ridiculously comfortable, and adjustable for someone taller than me, but I think anyone over maybe 6'5" would have headroom issues.

The best car I've driven for adjust-ability was a 2007 335i. I could put the seat back so far I couldn't reach the pedals, and down so far that the rear view mirror didn't block my view at all and I had about 6" of headroom. It wasn't terribly comfortable, but I think Shaq could probably drive one.

I cannot drive my girlfriend's 2013 focus because I cannot get my foot over the brake without hitting the column with my knee.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 19, 2014

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm 6'3" with a long inseam, and the most comfortable car, by an order of magnitude, that I found for space, was a BMW 7 series. Not sure what your budget is, but the one I drove around was a mid 90s 740iL and it could push the seat back far enough that I couldn't reach the pedals, and there was loads of head room.

I guess the main point is, don't buy a car with a sun roof, that'll kill your headroom and limit your choices.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tall guy with a Panther platform car chiming in. I'm 6'5" and my '01 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. More leg room than I could ever ask for and the headrest actually supports my head properly. It's a drat fine daily.

Also, they have the added benefit of being dirt cheap, easy to find, and incredibly reliable.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 19, 2014

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
I got a good laugh out of watching my friend who's 6'9" try to get into my other friends C4 Corvette.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
6'4" here and my brother has an NA Miata which is really fun to drive but my eye level is above the windshield.

Other than full size trucks, nothing has ever really fit me. My old Jetta was the worst, because I literally couldn't sit upright in that thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm 6'9, 290lbs. With my size 17 work boots on i'm about 7' even. The E39 is one of the few cars i can just put my leg in and sit strait down into as opposed to sitting in backwards and spinning in. The Steering wheel telescopes out far enough to make the driving position super comfortable, and the pedals are spaced far enough that driving with my boots on isn't a problem. As far as somewhat sporty big-man cars go, you really can't do better.

in terms of other sporty cars i've driven/looked at

absolutley not: C6 vette, miata, S2000, 350z, FD RX7, pontiac solstice, saturn sky, fiesta ST
yes but not comfy: C5 vette, RX8, 370z, mustang, camaro, FRS/BRZ, accord coupe, GE+ wrx/sti, fiat 500, smart car, BMW 1 series, genesis coupe, Taurus SHO, focus ST
Yes: 996/997 911, crown vic/towncar, E46 3 series, E60 5 series, E90/92 3 series, lancer evo x, current charger/challenger/300
gently caress yes: E39 5 series, 2 series, 4 series, the current merc C and E class coupes, 991 911, mk7 GTI.

It seems ze germans are really the only ones who looked at how and where the human body bends, and adapted seating/steering positions to that. Some cars wouldn't take much to be comfortable, like the last gen mustang the only real problem is the god drat e-brake handle sticking out into my leg for no good reason. Cars like the challenger, while having an ok seating position, either lack the telescopic steering to make it reasonable to drive, or it doesn't extend far enough. Some cars like the FiST/FoST have pedals too close together for a large foot to comfortably use, the FiST in particular has a clutch to high to get my foot on before my knee is on the wheel. Cars like the accord coupe which should be huge inside are loving ruined by a foot tall seat pedestal and a sharp-edged ricer start button grafted into the knee space on the dash.

seriously, what the gently caress does that add, and what the gently caress is it doing there.

I always post these pics when this comes up. Me in an FD. can't see out the windshield, knees above the steering wheel. It might work if i removed the front seats and just sat in the back.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 19, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I knew a 6'9" guy that daily drove a 4th gen Trans-Am, it was comical as hell watching him get out of that thing. He said it was comfortable though.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:
I'm 6'5" and could probably stand to lose a pound or 2 (or maybe 50), and I have a 2012 Jetta SE that I think is great. Not scraping the roof or anything like that, fit is comfortable, even wearing a bulky winter coat. Before that, I had a '10 Focus that worked, and served me pretty well, but being brutally honest was probably just a shade too small. When I got the Jetta, I also looked at the Corolla, and it wold have worked, but the Jetta seems a little bit roomier to me.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Some cars like the FiST/FoST have pedals too close together for a large foot to comfortably use

Which is a shame, since what's too close together for your feet is perfectly spaced for heel-toe shifting for someone with more average-sized feet.

quote:

Cars like the accord coupe which should be huge inside are loving ruined by a foot tall seat pedestal and a sharp-edged ricer start button grafted into the knee space on the dash.

seriously, what the gently caress does that add, and what the gently caress is it doing there.

That sucks, I have a friend/ex-roommate who's almost as tall as you (6'8") who bought an early 00's accord coupe because it was one of the few cars he could drive comfortably without banging his knees on the dash or steering wheel.

As much as it pains me to say it, one of the ergonomically best cars for very tall people is the first gen of the New Beetle. The seats go waaay back and there's a ridiculous amount of headroom due to the shape of the greenhouse.

Really, most cars should be offered in 'short-avg' and 'avg-tall' interior configurations with changes to the interior such as seat height, seat rails that go further back, higher bottom edges on the dash, smaller or higher steering wheels, and narrower center consoles with more knee and thigh clearance to accommodate taller drivers. I'm sure there are plenty of tall people who'd spend an extra $2k on a tall driver package just to get the car they like with a comfortable (to them) interior rather than having to compromise by buying a car they might not like as much just so they can drive without pretending to be a human pretzel.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Comedy option of ... a motorcycle? Unlimited head room. Leg room limited only by how much you like CHROME.

whyfeel
May 20, 2004
6'5" daily drive an '82 280zx. Leg room is good, but need some more headroom for a helmet with the tops on. I'm looking into some aftermarket seats to bolt to the floor. I don't wan't to hit a bump on the track and crack my t-top. 240z's are almost the same interior dimensions.

C6 Z06, FD RX7 are too small, personally. My knees hit the dashboard. Can't rotate the steering wheel past a full turn without my legs in the way, dangerous for fast driving. NA Miata worked with the top off but was close for steering. 1980 RX7 is fine. At my height I think anything that doesn't work with a stock seat probably would with a properly mounted racing seat without sliders.

I had an '87 Crown Vic LTD and it was like sitting on a couch going down the highway, plenty of room.

whyfeel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 19, 2014

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
FWIW, I've known three people at or above 2 meters who've driven a 90's Toyota Corolla E.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
6'5" with a 36" inseam. To my amazement I could put the seat far back enough in a previous gen A-Class that I couldn't properly work the pedals, and had miles of headroom.

Every other car I've driven has been cramped though. I've been window shopping small cars as of late and had no idea the Fiat 500 was so roomy inside, might have to take a look at that. My legs start to cramp up in my 306 after about an hour.

*E* Can confirm I also fit in the front of a W210 E-class.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 19, 2014

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I'm 6'5" with rather long legs. I drive a Peugeot 207 which is just about roomy enough for me if I put the seat down to its lowest position and almost all of the way back.

I have trouble in most smaller cars(had a Peugeot 106 that was just far too cramped), although even in some bigger cars I have issues. I drove a Toyota Avensis a few days ago and my head was fairly high up so I had barely any vertical visibility.

To be honest, I have more issues sitting in the back of most cars than I do sitting in the front though, mainly due to legroom, which becomes a problem on longer drives.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

6'3" 230lbs and I'm really comfortable in my 2012 Grand Cherokee. Before that I drove a 2004 Acura TSX which I made work but essentially turned the car into a 2-seater because an adult human could in no way sit behind me.

I have two friends, brothers, one 6'8" and one 6'10". They've driven a variety of things over the years. From memory, they were most comfortable in an older MKVII, their current early 2000s E-class, and my old XJ. 6'8" guy owns a manual Accord which he's comfortable in, but 6'10" guy can't actuate the clutch in it due to his knee hitting the dash.

I would never want to be taller than I already am. It doesn't seem fun at all.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
6'3", and my DD is a Crown Victoria. I'm partial to large 4 door American barges.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I have a friend that's 6'7", he recently bought an Explorer and loves it because it feels like a "normal size" to him. He previously had a Prelude because it was fun, but it started to take its toll on his back.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybe evolution is telling you all something. I'm 5'6" and I fit in everything from Fiats to Freightliners. :smugdog:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe evolution is telling you all something. I'm 5'6" and I fit in everything from Fiats to Freightliners. :smugdog:

Yeah, well, grocery stores keep all the really good food at the back of the top shelf.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I agree completely, whatever you said.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I agree completely, whatever you said.

It must have gone over your head :smug:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I'm 6'6" and wear size 16 boots. My dodge ram is plenty comfortable for me with the seat all the way back and my MJ requires a little maneuvering to get in but once I'm seated it fits me like a glove. I just have to put my right foot behind the brake pedal to get my knee past the steering wheel.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Any experiences with the Mazda 323/626?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Grawl posted:

626s always had plenty of room, when I was still working for Mazda here I worked with a guy who was 6'6" and he hated MX-5s but was perfectly OK with 626s. I think 323s were a little squishy for him but manageable.

The only real issue with a 626 is how much of a cardigan on wheels they were. Even for a daily driver they were boring to the point of narcolepsy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you're seriously looking at a 323 you could put in MX-3 seats which will sit lower.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grawl posted:

My 6'8" brother inherited my '97 323P. It's my impression it's doable.

Said 323P, since no one (including myself for the first three years of ownership) knows what the hell the P model was. It's basically a three-door sedan.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
6'2" 190lbs.

My current-generation 3 series BMW has lots of room to spare. I actually had to move the seats up and forward a good bit to get a proper driving position, and that's with a sunroof that presumably steals some headroom.

Before that I had a 350Z that was OK if I pushed the seats the maximum distance back.

Oh, and I just rented a new Camaro convertible recently, and it's a goddamn cavern in there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sean10mm posted:

Before that I had a 350Z that was OK if I pushed the seats the maximum distance back.

See, I've always felt claustrophobic as all hell inside the 350Z / G35 / G37. Shame because I think I'd like actually driving the car, but riding shotgun just makes me feel cramped up in those things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I've always felt claustrophobic as all hell inside the 350Z / G35 / G37. Shame because I think I'd like actually driving the car, but riding shotgun just makes me feel cramped up in those things.

My biggest problem with the 370z was that even with the steering wheel in the highest position it still felt like it was aimed at my belly button.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Grawl posted:

My previous car was a '94 323F if that counts, I had enough room in it as long as the seat was all the way back.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be clear it wasn't great room-wise, but it was livable. IIRC the most marginal aspect was knee room.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
6'7''. VW GTI Mk5. It's a bit roomier than the first-gen Mazda3 I had earlier.

Preferring small cars sure doesn't help :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!
The Honda Element and Ford F-150 have worked well for me.

• Locked thread