Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nucleicmaxid posted:

Ah yes, the well known Internet stalker method of finding the general vague area of the church one attends. Which could be several miles away from your home, or even in a different city.

Anyway, I'm actually curious so I'll come back tomorrow, my thing ran late tonight. But as a quick note? 60k isn't a bad salary, especially for what has been described in this thread multiple times as the time commitment of a part time job. But again, I'm not interested in the money argument, I merely mentioned it as one of my motivations for thinking of the idea before dismissing it. I only replied because people got REALLY paranoid and upset when I pointed out that it's a sweet gig. I'm sure there are pastors or whatever who are actual believers, but I'm also certain that there are a large number, perhaps even a majority, who are not. I'm curious about those people.

I think the issue is that your analysis of the job is based on a superficial "oh, you only HAVE to work x hours a week" sort of thing, which is the same sort of fallacious argument people use on teachers. It doesn't make any sense when any scrutiny is applied. If a devoted, skilled person spent anywhere amount the time they'd spend at their pastor or teaching or whatever job, 44k or 60k a year is a pretty trivial amount. The idea that this is a big deal scam or something is a joke in any honest sense. You seem like an out of touch fool based on this, but likely you're just young and haven't actually worked in the private sector, where you can get vastly higher compensation out of doing almost nothing in a for-reals sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Nice attempt at an ad hominem rather than any sort of addressing the question at hand. Very Christian of you as well to not approach it with an open and honest reply, but rather to attack and dismiss when you know nothing about me except that I want to talk to a pastor who is a hustler out of curiosity.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nucleicmaxid posted:

Nice attempt at an ad hominem rather than any sort of addressing the question at hand. Very Christian of you as well to not approach it with an open and honest reply, but rather to attack and dismiss when you know nothing about me except that I want to talk to a pastor who is a hustler out of curiosity.

Im not a christian or even religious at this point and i can tell you straight up that you're being 100% foolish in your posts in this thread. He was right to tell you that in the words that he used. Also you come off like you have a huge chip on your shoulder. You have no curiousity

Go do a documentary on megachurches if you're actually interested in what you say you are. Go interview Joel Osteen. That's just an opinion though

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also respond to all my previous questions please. They weren't rhetorical. And if you say anything about my science comment, think about what Karl Popper would say to it first, just to head that one off at the pass.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I actually don't. I've said quite a few times that it's simple curiosity, because I almost went down that path. I'm significantly older now and I'm curious about someone who made a different choice. If you have faith, cool, you're not my target audience. I may have overestimated either the willingness of people to discuss it or its prevalence in the field (or at least on the forums.) I happen to be an atheist, but I really actually do not care if people have faith. I just also found the sudden - NO WE WORK REAL HARD thing to be a bit odd, and defensive, so I figured that someone would speak up honestly. Nobody in this thread so far has been acting like they truly believe an all powerful deity gave them a personal calling to spread the word of forgiveness and understanding to the world, so I sort of thought I was on the right track here.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'll do that when I'm at a computer, it's way easier to quote and reply that way. Promise. I'm just on my phone for the rest of the night.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Most people don't know why they do the things they do, and the ones that do know are usually wrong. That's probably as close an answer as you're going to get. If you're significantly older and you haven't figured this out yet then idk.

I just put one foot in front of the other. Planning 10 steps ahead is generally because someone else told them those particular steps would work. No one has any clue what's going to happen next, but there's a lot of working assumptions going around.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 27, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also most people's relationship with conning is conning themselves. People let themselves be conned. Shysters operate on susceptibility, their own, and others. Why blame these invisible pastors. You haven't said anything meaty yet.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I would imagine someone who went to seminary, which likely has a lot of training in ruminating on questions and ideas, would be better at it. I also think that a true believer, who is dedicated enough to go to seminary, would react in a very different way to someone questioning things, or sort of casually suggesting that they don't work as hard as, say, a construction worker. My job is also incredibly easy, and it pays pretty well. I don't feel bad about that, nor should they. It's the hard, almost angry reactions and cries of troll that are particularly confusing. If I truly believed that a vast and mighty God set me on a path to teach forgiveness, understanding, and love of mankind I don't think I'd have joined the comedy board that created tribute.avi first off, and if I did for some reason, I'd probably not be a dick to a dude who comes in and is curious.

However, if I were a nonbeliever pretending to believe, I'd probably be really defensive and have an angry reaction to someone calling me out in public. You can re read my posts and see me realize that, and offer to move it to PMs.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I also don't particularly get why you're arguing for them. I'm not very interested in talking to you, as you don't provide the answers to the questions I have. I'll reply when I'm at a computer, because I'm an honest person, but you don't bring a single thing to the table here, except to also doggedly attack a person for asking some questions.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nucleicmaxid posted:

I also don't particularly get why you're arguing for them. I'm not very interested in talking to you, as you don't provide the answers to the questions I have. I'll reply when I'm at a computer, because I'm an honest person, but you don't bring a single thing to the table here, except to also doggedly attack a person for asking some questions.

They don't want to engage with you. I do. I'm trying to tell you your questions come out of some kind of pride for seeing something as spurious and manipulating and you're patting yourself on the back in this thread by asking why other people didn't notice it like you did.

I'm saying that comes from a fundamental misunderstanding of what drives people towards the religious impulse and sentiment, even if they're only "faking it"; that's something too.

It's funny that everything you're saying are sincere tactics I've used in other threads to get my point across, you're like my little unwitting protege except without saying anything that can be argued with.

Your questions were leading, loaded, and lead to nothing except smug self assurance. "Since God isn't real, why do you all go through the motions?" That's what you're asking. Maybe you don't have the same understanding of what God is. Irrespective on whether a particular understanding of God is true or not. I'm not going to defend Christianity.

Anyway this is the thread now, the OP got her questions answered already. Take it or leave it. I'm all you've got buddy

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 27, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also why are you trying to point out that you allegedly got a rise out of someone so bad? I didn't even see that, but if it did happen, that's a big troll red flag. A more articulate "you mad???" Quit phone posting and say what you actually want to say instead of dancing around it hoping someone will fall for the shadows. I'm phone posting right now, it's not difficult.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is your first post, take special note in how you began it

nucleicmaxid posted:

Wow. Buncha people wasting their lives on 2000 year old desert tribal laws and stories.

Are you guys actually religious? Are you in it for the cushy job of being a priest/preacher/whatever? I briefly considered going to seminary because it seems like it'd be an incredibly easy life if you just skated through, said Jesus a few times, and took sermons distributed on the Internet. Are any of you doing that? If so, how hard/easy is it to pretend in a place full of people who are also likely pretending in order to get a really easy job adding literally nothing of value to society?

edit: I realize this sounds like a mean question, but I actually am curious about your answers. For me, a nonbeliever, it would be like dedicating yourself to becoming a Lord of the Rings scholar.. except you get paid and respected for it.

You lead off by saying they're all wasting their lives and you want them to convince you that they're not? Who are you and why do your opinions matter? What have you got. What do you believe. Why should anyone care about you? Why pretend to be sincere about all this?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You have to make your own steps towards truth. No ones going to decide it all or figure it out and tell you the results afterwards. And if they do, they're conning you and themselves. This cuts both ways (towards believers and non-believers).

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Sorry if I came off as a jerk, but it is frustrating for someone to enter the thread mocking religion and saying pastors must be scam artists because their pay is more than the work is worth. If you'd read the thread at all, you'd have seen that there were already nonbelievers posting, and you could have asked them pointed questions about their experiences.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nucleicmaxid posted:

I would imagine someone who went to seminary, which likely has a lot of training in ruminating on questions and ideas, would be better at it. I also think that a true believer, who is dedicated enough to go to seminary, would react in a very different way to someone questioning things, or sort of casually suggesting that they don't work as hard as, say, a construction worker. My job is also incredibly easy, and it pays pretty well. I don't feel bad about that, nor should they. It's the hard, almost angry reactions and cries of troll that are particularly confusing. If I truly believed that a vast and mighty God set me on a path to teach forgiveness, understanding, and love of mankind I don't think I'd have joined the comedy board that created tribute.avi first off, and if I did for some reason, I'd probably not be a dick to a dude who comes in and is curious.

However, if I were a nonbeliever pretending to believe, I'd probably be really defensive and have an angry reaction to someone calling me out in public. You can re read my posts and see me realize that, and offer to move it to PMs.

Sounds like you're projecting mighty hard here.

In my limited personal experience it's really hard to fake it. It takes a lot of effort, and it's super easy to just burn out. In fact, burnout is a major reason why people leave seminary. As it turns out, lying about who you are and everything you believe in takes a lot of effort, and there's easier ways to make a living. Not in the sense of physical labor but emotional well being. Sure there are people who still do it, but I wouldn't think they're that common. At least among seminarians. Among older religious folk I could see it, since you're up poo poo creek without a paddle when you're 50 or 60 and you have no practical skills or education. But when you're younger or doing a second career you have options that aren't "live a lie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

tbp posted:

i worked at a seminary once and the students there were frankly the nicest folks ive ever met in my life.

Likewise, the university where I got my bachelors was a faith based (Mennonite) school and everybody there was great, in fact I met a lot of great contacts there. I went for business because they had a direct program route from start to finish and not only was it rated higher than our local UC, I didn't get jerked around like 7 out of 8 my friends that went to the local UC. On paper it cost more to go, but in reality i saved 5k + 6-12 months salary because I didn't get jerked around for more semesters of school. Sorry if this was a derail, just my experience with a faith based school that is more or less promoted as a seminary type school.

• Locked thread