Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Hi, and welcome to HBD! I'm making this thread because nasboat literally can't beat me in the playoffs and won't do it anymore. I've lifted most of this stuff verbatim from the last OP only I erased all the silly wrestling nonsense.
Update for Season 29!: nasboat literally beat me in the playoffs :(

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LAST SEASON

Season 29 marked the end of the Cleveland/Santa Fe World Series streak. For the first time since season 24 neither team won their pennant, and the New Orleans Spirits took it all down!

Elsewhere...

Cleveland tried to repeat their World Series success, putting up 108 wins en route to the #1 seed in the NL and the second best record in the majors. Kansas City wasn't too far behind, taking the coveted second bye with 106 wins. The West was a grinder as it has been lately with three teams winning over 90 games and Anaheim's 102 win team being forced to play in the first round of the playoffs. That New Orleans team I mentioned above? Walked all over their division but at 96 wins ended up with the #4 seed. Then there was the three way wild card race to the bottom where IOWA and Salem lost the least and left Colorado's 91 wins at home.

And in the AL...

New city, new colors, but nasboat's team was again the juggernaut of the AL. Thanks in part to Art trading away Cody Roosevelt like an idiot the Seattle Shovels won 117 games and coasted to the #1 seed again. Santa Fe once again came away with the second bye but there was no breathing room for the aging Leo Egan and his squad. Richmond tied Santa Fe with 100 wins but lost the tiebreak and only came away with the #5 seed. Charlotte showed that the South has risen again as they won 84 games and a tight WC2 race. In the West Portland's mini division winning streak came to an end and Helena made their first playoff appearance under Stimpy. And Tampa won the East for the 9th straight season cause that's what Snowbirds do :clint:

Oh yeah and Art traded Cody Roosevelt and won 23 less games than last season.

Playoffs?!?

Every AL South team lost their first playoff series in five games. nasboat finally won two playoff series? In a row?!? Despite much pessimism in the face of victory Seattle did something that Trenton could never do and took down the Snowbirds in the ALCS. Fifth time is the charm. nasboat could not win three playoff series in a row.

Over on the NL side atheistdeals showed that regular season records don't matter and went into steamroller mode. 14-4 is nothing to sneeze at in the playoffs, especially when the teams you're playing averaged 106 wins! #GoSpiritsGo

DIVISION WINNERS

AL North: Seattle
AL East: Tampa Bay
AL South: Santa Fe
AL West: Helena

NL North: Kansas City
NL East: Cleveland
NL South: New Orleans
NL West: Anaheim

WILD CARDS

AL: Richmond, Charlotte
NL: IOWA, Salem

Once again seven out of eight division winners remained unchanged, with Helena being the only new name on the list. The wild card race was much more interesting as all four teams changed from the previous season. Who's next?

AWARDS

AL MVP: Graham Abernathy (Durham)
NL MVP: SteveS_weeney (Colorado)
AL Cy Young: Cody Roosevelt (Seattle) (thanks, Art)
NL Cy Young: Sean Creek (Cleveland) (can be yours for the low, low price of $110 million!)
AL ROTY: Ryouta Yang (Boston)
NL ROTY: Weldon Bush (Colorado)

OUR PITCH TO YOU, THE PROSPECTIVE NEW GOON OWNER

Hardball Dynasty is a game on the sports simulation site WhatIfSports.com. HBD puts you in control of a fake baseball franchise with fake players. You make the decisions. Draft young talent, trade with competing franchises, sign free agents to help you make the postseason, and inevitably lose to jeff in the playoffs. We're looking for dedicated owners to make sure every franchise is run competently, effectively, and, perhaps most importantly, actively. And that's where you come in.

Currently, DiMaggio is a majority-goon world. Most of the remaining pubbies are pretty reasonable, but if you're new to HBD it's always a good idea to run any potential trades by veteran goons. Ask any questions you like in the thread here, we're always happy to give advice to a new owner.

We have lots of openings! Ask questions if you have any interest whatsoever! Please contact our esteemed commissioner ThatsMyBoye (@paul_boye) or post in this thread if you'd like to play! We'd love to have you! But especially if you're not going to quit a week into the game!

WAITING LIST

1. Tavarin
2. some dodgers guy on twitter

3. You?!?!?

NEW OWNERS GUIDE - Work in Progress

1. Consider running trade offers by the veteran owners in thread. We'll tell you if you're getting ripped off too badly.

2. Figure out a plan and stick to it. If you decide your team needs a rebuilding period, don't abort it halfway through and try to win. That's how you get a consistently mediocre team that doesn't go anywhere.

3. Overall rating is pretty much meaningless, other than to inflate a guy's asking price or determine draft comp.

4. During the preseason, you need to pay more attention to your team than at any other time. After the season starts, you can get away with checking your team once a day or so. During the preseason, you need to be much more active. Don't commit to a team if you can't do that. The main cycles run at (roughly) 3:45am, 11:45am and 7:45pm Eastern, with half cycles in between each. I'd advise that you check every half-cycle, as this is when you get feedback on coach hiring, free agent offers, re-signings, etc.

5. Go through your team roster when you get your team. Figure out what assets you have. Figure out what players you need to protect from the Rule V draft. Failing to do so can seriously set your team back. I'm bolding this part because nasboat is AN IDIOT WHO LOST THREE GOOD PROSPECTS AT ONE POINT BECAUSE I FORGOT TO DO THIS EXACT THING, SO IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU, TOO! SERIOUSLY!

6. Don't be afraid to ask questions! HBD can be overwhelming at first. There's a lot to figure out, and we've all been through it. Use your goon resources.

7. Don't listen to Art's advice. EVER.

8. Coach Hiring Sucks. But it's not that bad honestly if the world works together. We can do this. Trust me.

9. Most of all, have fun with it. Don't get too worked up about fake baseball. Unless you're menasboat.

10. (NEW) Get a Big Brother! If you've never played this game before feel free to ask the thread for help from the veterans. Hopefully one of us will take you under our wing and teach you some of the stupid convoluted poo poo that you need to know before you quit in frustration. Then when you're a 10 season veteran with multiple world series wins you can pay it forward!

As I said before, our commissioner is the esteemed ThatsMyBoye. You will need to be in contact with him to get the password to the world to be able to join.

:siren: AWESOME THING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT IF YOU DON'T ALREADY :siren:

-ADVANCED ROSTER EDIT. This is essential. If you've got (I think) 3 seasons of HBD under your belt, you can take the stupid, WIS-mandated 'training wheels' off your "Edit Roster" page. That's right, no longer will you have to make promotions one player at a time -- which was always a terrible process when trying to bump up all your minor leaguers. To get to advanced roster mode, simply access the "Management Console" from the "Manager's Office" menu, then scroll down and select "Advanced Mode" under "GM Edit Rosters Options"

SPRING TRAINING INFO YOU WILL NEED

CURRENT GOON TEAMS -- NOW WITH TWITTER HANDLES!
Updated as of 11/17
uublog made a Twitter list here
pre:
Forums name      / WIS name     / Franchise                      / Twitter

nasboat          / nasboat      / Seattle Discontent             / @nasboat
Art Vandelay     / thaneoffife  / New York Vandelay              / @ThaneOfFife
gardenald        / gardenald    / Chicago Barons                 / @gardenald

Devo             / devomac      / Pittsburgh Steel Birds         / @Devo1999
Cory Lidle       / dockellis70  / Boston Sophists                / @DJWeedPizza
Evilbeard        / evilbeard    / Durham Wolves                  / @evilbeard
?????            / kingfatdik   / Toledo Trash Men               / @duyarvish

jeffersonlives   / tjefferson   / Santa Fe Leo Egans             / @ihateprospects
Scrotos          / Fervus       / Charlotte Goyim                / @scrotos
uublog           / uublog       / Richmond Flying Squirrels      / @uublog
Tavarin          / tavarin      / St. Louis Gaedels              / @tavarin

CaptMurphy       / captmurphy   / Portland Beavers               / @haassauce
stimpy           / stimpy_5     / Helena Thirty Helens           / @sas_stimpy
The broken bones / kingofspain  / Los Angeles Los Angeles        / @TheAmitie
?????            / ck22         / Vancouver Mooses               / @JaredJMassey

Nerokerubina     / koyunlu      / Iowa City Subsidies            / @QaraKoyunlu
Operaterp        / operaterp    / Philadelphia Phatties          / 
ernestborg9      / ernestborg9  / Ottawa BEEMOs                  / @ernest_borg9
?????            / spaldingball / Chicago Cubes                  / @spaldingethan

AlleyViper       / alleyviper   / Cleveland Attack on Memory     / @deanleyland
chutwig          / chutwig      / Buffalo Garden Paths           / @erhudy
tatankatonk      / tatankatonk  / New York Metropolitans         / @tatankatonk
?????            / mattwithanh  / Jacksonville Juggernauts       / @mattwithanh

AtheistDeals.com / atheistdeals / New Orleans Spirits            / @DoubleScorpion
?????            / cowhitchurch / Austin Express                 / @cowhitchurch

ThatsMyBoye      / mrincubus    / Anaheim Los Angeleses          / @paul_boye
gyroball         / gyroball     / Colorado Burrellballers        / @RedbirdMenace
Power of Pecota  / pecotaredux  / Salem Saberhagens              / @GeorgeMatanzas
TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE (IF YOU'VE GOT ARCHIVES)

Season 9
Season 10
Season 11
Season 12
Season 13
Season 14
Season 15
Season 16
Season 17
Season 18
Season 19
Season 20
Season 21
Season 22
Season 23
Season 24
Season 25
Season 26
Season 27
Season 28
Season 29

Devo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

We're full!

Devo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 21, 2014

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Come play this game so your team can do this in the World Series one day!

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
You, too, can beat the poo poo out of Bo Chamberlain!

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Awww yeah looks like I'm only gonna need like five coaches and none of them are super important ones

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

gardenald posted:

Awww yeah looks like I'm only gonna need like five coaches and none of them are super important ones

I need a fielding coach again :(

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Somebody do a FA preview so I know who to buy with my sheikh oil money

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I'm back but obviously messed up reserving and now apparently Anaheim is no longer available for the NL West so I guess I'm moving AND having my budgets reset this offseason is gonna blow

+Anaheim is back hooray

++ Napoleon Brennaman is the pw for folks moving

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 17, 2014

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

tatankatonk posted:

Somebody do a FA preview so I know who to buy with my sheikh oil money

Sean Creek, One hundred ten million dollars

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I'm back but obviously messed up reserving and now apparently Anaheim is no longer available for the NL West so I guess I'm moving AND having my budgets reset this offseason is gonna blow

+Anaheim is back hooray

++ Napoleon Brennaman is the pw for folks moving

Hopefully the stigma of Pittsburgh has worn off from the league

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

My budgets are ok too FALSE ALARM

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So TMB is obviously back and EB tweeted that he'd be back later this week. Before I start working on open team previews have we heard from CJL, Stimpy, or duyarvish yet?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ThatsMyBoye posted:

My budgets are ok too FALSE ALARM

I love how the one thing that for sure stays when you leave is the commissioner role.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Devo posted:

So TMB is obviously back and EB tweeted that he'd be back later this week. Before I start working on open team previews have we heard from CJL, Stimpy, or duyarvish yet?

The latter will be back

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Cliff Burnett will also be back >=]

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

can't wait to max Sean Creek

it ought to be a bannable offense to post the screenshot of Game 5

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

I hate my team and I hope they all get crabs during the offseason.

Except Wally :3:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I have three people on the wait list I've reached out to. SAS's own Tavarin is set to be joining us.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
oh hello thread, I am back

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

nice only two ML coaches walking and neither one is my fielding coach

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I have three people on the wait list I've reached out to. SAS's own Tavarin is set to be joining us.

The St. Louis Gaedels have joined up.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
all of my ML coaches are staying ~except my FI gently caress everything~

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i really love the lottery you have to play at the start of every season "hey are you going to have to set 3 million dollars on fire or not" that's a good as hell part of this game

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

New owner of Kansas City->Chicago is @SpaldingEthan

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Are all of these openings real openings? Or are some people coming back?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Tavarin posted:

The St. Louis Gaedels have joined up.

Welcome to the AL South! jeff has won the division 19 seasons in a row. You've been warned.

Nerokerubina posted:

i really love the lottery you have to play at the start of every season "hey are you going to have to set 3 million dollars on fire or not" that's a good as hell part of this game

agreedo, gently caress FI hiring

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

uublog posted:

Welcome to the AL South! jeff has won the division 19 seasons in a row. You've been warned.

At least I'm not coming in during Leo Egan's peak.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

^True!

Scrotos posted:

Are all of these openings real openings? Or are some people coming back?

EB and Twitter's @duyarvish are allegedly both returning, leaving openings in just Tacoma and Baltimore. I think. Who's our new friend in Austin, TMB?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

St. Louis -> Austin is @cowhitchurch

And these are real openings. Boston is coming back in the AL East but the rest are fair game right now

+ We're down to 3 openings, with 1 in the "maybe" ranks

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

So EB is gone?

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

CJL already is back in Boston

And here's EB:

gently caress; beaten

uublog fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 18, 2014

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Scrotos posted:

So EB is gone?

No, he's said he'll be back on Thursday, forgot to mention that one

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Nerokerubina posted:

Psh

Yes, Marvin Watson was brought in as a free agent coach at 500k

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

AlleyViper posted:

Psh

Yes, Marvin Watson was brought in as a free agent coach at 500k

BECAUSE I LET HIM GO UGHHHHHHH

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

If EB and duyarvish are returning as expected I believe we're down to one opening each in the NL and AL. I've written a short summary of each team in the second post.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
You misspelled terry galloway db

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Tacoma -> Vancouver is @JaredJMassey

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Down to one opening plus our AL East stragglers. That NL East team might be a good pickup for someone who's played before if we have any of those people laying around.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I have someone with lots of previous HBD experience who may be interested in the NLE team. Waiting to hear back from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I have someone with lots of previous HBD experience who may be interested in the NLE team. Waiting to hear back from him.

Soxy's coming back :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread