Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Far Cry 4 owns sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Far Cry 3 and AC4 despite both having a fair amount of problems. They've always been kinda hit and miss with me to be honest. AC games I am done with until they do a major combat revamp, it was fun for awhile but I've had my fill.

The nature of their games has started to bug me more than anything else. They make these huge monstrosities with 500+ people, a credits roll takes like 30 minutes. No wonder so many elements of the game are disparate and seemingly made in isolation. One specific studio had a task to "make collectathon busywork" while another was responsible for MP and so on. It's probably the only way to make these sorts of games on rigid schedules but unfortunately you end up with really soulless experiences where elements don't mesh well. Also they need to fire every writer they employ and start focusing on smaller stories with actual pacing.

I would like to see more single studio efforts from them but unfortunately games like Child of Light don't pay the bills when you employ thousands of people worldwide.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ddraig posted:

You think they're gonna make any more Rayman games? They were loving great, but sold like dogshit. Why spend the effort making original, neat and well-made games (with some bitching art, for that matter) when they can sit on their cashcows because they know they sell?

Same goes with Blood Dragon.

As for AC4, well that probably took a lot of effort, and considering they can make money with minimal effort and people are willing to do it ("This is FC3 in a new location? Sold!!!!")
"As of November 2013, the game's [Rayman Legend] sales were approaching one million units, according to Ubisoft.[58] In early November 2014, Ubisoft reported that Rayman Legends was still selling well and contributing to the company's earnings. [59]"

Seems like there's still probably going to be another Rayman made. Whether they'll poo poo it up or not is debateble but since it was only a year ago and very fun, i don't see why there couldn't be another one around the corner that's on par with it.

BD2: well yea they need to make another one but they could probably do some different variants like that just fine like they said they are. I dont think its fair to dismiss that they couldn't do another AC4 since it came out not that long ago as well.

Also forgot they published Anno, that's good too.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
OP is the Ubisoft of posting

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Quit being a dumbass and stop buying their AAA poo poo, OP.

Their budget title stuff like Blood Dragon and Valiant Hearts is where its at.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Is ubisoft the one who makes call of duty?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Black Flag is awesome but it also happens to be the only good AC and possibly the only good Ubisoft game released since...Blood Dragon?

Black Flag is awesome when it's not about the terrible Assassin's Creed stuff. When you're just sailing the seas and pirating things up it's fun, then you eventually have to go follow someone and listen to boring, badly written conversations for twenty minutes.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Valiant Hearts and the rayman legend games owned.

Just never preorder any ubisoft games and you should be fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

here's what ubisoft thinks about you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc944viXPvo

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

they tried to explain the plot of assassin's creed to conan

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Xaris posted:

i would say the OP may have a point if it weren't for

Rayman Legends
Blood Dragon
AC 4

and they published Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Great Joe posted:

Despite acquiring some clout for having a relatively open policy for mid-budget games
:frogout:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

ubisoft is a big company that makes a lot of terrible PR decisions and does bad things to beloved franchises. sometimes it makes good games both being blood dragon and rayman.
if you go into any thread for any of their releases you will see a lot of hugboxing going on and it is always funny. you can even see it happening in this thread.
that is my report on ubisoft
-sfm, age 10
:getin:

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

Blood Dragon is a great game with the best soundtrack that I still listen to but I have heard a lot of internet hyperbole about Uplay... I am confused.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Downloaded Blood Dragon on Steam.

Installed it, it then says 'opening Uplay to play this game' :pwn:

Then Uplay downloaded and updated itself immediately :pwn:

Uplay opened and its updated interface needed to download another update :pwn:

Then when I selected Blood Dragon to play from inside Uplay, it says 'opening Steam to play this game' :pwn:

I'm not even joking about any of this

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, they really should have just retired Fisher entirely and introduced a new protagonist or two. Outside of Conviction, it's not like the stories of the SC games hugely hinged on having that particular guy in them.

Briggs would have been a perfect protagonist to have. gently caress Sam Fisher. Dude went from looking like he was in his upper 40s to lower 50s to looking like he was 32 years old. All so that he could be some oorah lets go stop the terrorists true American patriot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

they thought sam fisher was the value of the character when all people cared about was Michael ironside :doh:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Then when I selected Blood Dragon to play from inside Uplay, it says 'opening Steam to play this game' :pwn:

I got Far Cry 3 the same way, had the same experience. I quite enjoyed what gameplay I got but going through the hassle of uplay every time I wanted to start, plus the in game GFWL-ish menu poo poo, plus the post-game here's what poo poo you did popup now buy more poo poo on uplay, it may be the first game I quit playing exclusively because of the hassle of starting the loving thing.

edit- I did crack it eventually which helped immensely.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Far Cry 3 makes you log onto Far Cry 3 servers, which are separate from Uplay servers, after you start the game. :pwn:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah I had a similar experience with uplay it is just really loving weird. You expect from hype it is super terrible and eats all your saves, but instead it does a little weird dance of the steams for you.

Great Joe posted:

This is a sperg-safe zone. You are free to sperg. I mean, just look at the OP.
It's just really weird poo poo like they added daily quests (which people like!) but then they didn't reset on a daily basis (what?) and people were like um I can't do this daily quest is out of my reach as a player help, some of them were stuff like 'win a tournament' and the devs were like "we don't care you see daily quests are optional" and then their player base halved in a month.

So they sort of fixed it over a couple months of deliberation and then nerfed them again and the player base took another dive.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've never played The Crew, but one of my roommates loves it(Or at least loved it a month back, haven't asked him about it recently.)
Isn't that game still in beta?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

It's just really weird poo poo like they added daily quests (which people like!) but then they didn't reset on a daily basis (what?) and people were like um I can't do this daily quest is out of my reach as a player help, some of them were stuff like 'win a tournament' and the devs were like "we don't care you see daily quests are optional" and then their player base halved in a month.

So they sort of fixed it over a couple months of deliberation and then nerfed them again and the player base took another dive.
That is pretty weird. I mean, why even bother setting up daily quests if normal players can't do a quest a day?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
ubisoft wants $90 for far cry 4, a game that will be $10 in a year.

ahahahahahahahaah

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

ahahahahahahahaah
Watch them "generously" discount it to $81 in a month.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Same but after this:

Game locks up on load screen :pwn:

fix it by disabling uPlay's overlay

Play the game for like 6 or 8 hours and uPlay eats my save file :pwn:

Decide that I am never going to buy another game from Ubisoft that uses uPlay ever again.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ethanol posted:

they thought sam fisher was the value of the character when all people cared about was Michael ironside :doh:

I don't mind not having Ironside. I do mind that his character is completely different than his previous iterations. This is the guy who questioned the orders he got in the first few games and now he is all "the mission comes first!"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Liquid Penguins posted:

ahahahahahahahaah

:confused: It's 60$ on my store. Are you talking about the +season pass edition?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Blame Canada

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Ubisoft knows what consumers want, and consumers want dogshit broken open-world games instead of good games. That's why they never advertised Rayman Origins and Legends but promoted the poo poo out of AssCreed.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Jade Rayman

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
We're probably gonna get more Raymans, considering the reception of the last ones and that they've already got the Ubiart engine up and running.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Totally agree that Ubisoft is a horrible evil money-grubbing company and also I am totally going to buy Far Cry 4 tonight

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I cannot believe the amount of RAM the Xbox One uses to play Ubisoft games

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Totally agree that Ubisoft is a horrible evil money-grubbing company and also I am totally going to buy Far Cry 4 tonight

:ramsay:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

:confused: It's 60$ on my store. Are you talking about the +season pass edition?

if I'm going to spend time playing far cry 4, I'm going to play the version that didn't have most of the modes and sidequests ripped out of it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Rayman Origins, Legends, Blood Dragon, and Valiant hearts have been the only good Ubi games worth playing in post Assassins Creed Ubisoft.

King Kong and Beyond Good and Evil were Old Ubi's swan song.

What the hell is the current Ubisoft logo supposed to be anyways? It's nothing like their old logo. The new EA logo still keeps the Triangle, Circle and Square in it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ubi is the new old EA :aaaaa:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xaris posted:

ubi is the new old EA :aaaaa:

No the Old EA made road rash, Mutant League, Wing Commander, and RPGs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

No the Old EA made road rash, Mutant League, Wing Commander, and RPGs.

EA didn't own Origin when they made Wing Commander; they bought them about six or seven years after that.

OTOH, old EA did fund projects like The Bard's Tale and Wasteland before Interplay started publishing their own stuff, The Pinball Construction Set, M.U.L.E., and one of the Ultimas (though it left such a bad taste in Origin's mouth that they made references to EA being the evil empire in Ultima games for years afterward).

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Well, there were also the Rayman games (which were all decent to good) and MMX (which was OK, all things considered). Child of Light seemed pretty cool though I haven't played it.

UPlay is horrible, though. Probably converted more than a few people to piracy.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I had fun when I played Assassin's Creed 3. I am the worst gamer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My brother works at Ubisoft. According to the credits of various Ubisoft games, he works on the "Boom Boom Team". I don't think Ubisoft is good, I don't buy their games anymore.

• Locked thread