Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

This War of Mine is a single player game focused on a group of civilians surviving day to day life in a modern day war zone. There is a huge circle jerk ("overwhelmingly positive") review section on Steam (that mostly talks about how bad other war related games are) that you could read here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/

or you can watch "as Polish as it gets" trailer here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BALBUyoTxQM

Why should I play this terrible indie game?
It's pretty unique. I honestly cant think of many games that deal with war from a civilian's point of view. Also, unlike the hundreds of indie-developed trash games that make it to Steam, this one actually manages to marry its theme with the gameplay surprisingly well. Here are some things that you can do in the game:

- Save a bunch of kids from starving to death by giving them rat meat
- Axe an old lady in the head and take her jewelry while her husband cries over her corpse
- Help a teenager save his father with precious medicine, only to rob his shelter later out of desperation and accidentally kill his father in a knife fight
- Get drunk, become depressed and kill yourself
- Become Polish Batman and shank bandits with your batarang rusty kitchen knife

What's the gameplay like?
The game is played from a 2D "antfarm" perspective. The game is part point and click platformer (like Mark of The Ninja), part survival (like DayZ) and part Sims (like... ugh, Sims). Each "level" in the game has a day and a night section. During the day you will be building up your shelter, managing your character's needs and dealing with random quests that pop up from time to time. During the night you will most likely be out scavenging for supplies in a city beset by a civil war, hoping you don't get shot by bandits or soldiers.

How could this game be a platformer if there is no jump button?
The general idea is that you click somewhere and your character goes there. Each level has a fog of war, so if you don't see a way to get somewhere, you wont be able to. Each level has points that you can click on to search for stuff, hide, open/close doors, look through keyholes or in case of NPCs you will be able to trade, talk or attempt to shoot/stab them. In fog of war you will see red pulsing dots that indicate noise, which could be NPC's (hostile or friendly), rats or environment.

What's the survival aspect like?
The city has a lot of points of interest to explore and you can only send one character out each night to visit one point. Due to small inventory sizes you have to constantly make decisions as to what you want to bring back. Sometimes, all you need is a few planks of wood and a few bits of scrap. Sometimes, you desperately need to bring back tins of food to the starving survivors but come across a broken assault rifle. Sometimes it all goes to hell and you just need to ditch the loot and run away.

There are also places in the city where NPC's will trade with you for stuff. Each NPC will want something that they need (randomly determined), which is heavily influenced by what is going on in the city at the time.

You will be doing a lot of sneaking. Combat is pretty lethal and can get clunky very quickly, but that is by design. Most of your characters are not trained for combat and will get severely depressed if they are forced to kill someone. You will spend most of the game hiding in corners and scavenging through piles of thrash looking for tins of food or wood planks.

Wait... the Sims?
You get to build up your shelter from a smoldering wreck...to a slightly less degraded, boarded up smoldering wreck. Your people will want beds, chairs and a stove at the very minimum to sleep, relax and eat. You will probably want to build a rainwater collector and maybe you will be lucky enough to find a broken guitar, which you can fix and play, provided someone in your group knows how to do so. Most of the time you will be huddling everyone in a corner near a heater that is slowly burning up the cinders of the pages from that book your characters wanted to read, while everyone is contemplating suicide.

Also, you can build a makeshift moonshine distillery and get everyone blink stinking drunk (or sell it for profit).

Are there random elements in the game?
Yes! The length of the game is random because (:siren:SERIOUSLY DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME :siren:) eventually UN peacekeepers show up and the civil war ends .

The season the game takes place in is also random, which has a huge influence on how you play. The shelter becomes very cold in winter and some parts of the city become inaccessible due to snow. Sometimes either the military or rebels go on the offensive, which also restricts travel. The city has random demands for luxury items such as cigarettes, alcohol or bare necessities such as meat and vegetables. Events that happen in various parts of town are also random and so are (to the best of my knowledge) loot spawns.

Finally, the order in which the quests happen and new characters appear is completely randomized as well.

What's the plot like?
The story is very much based on emergent narrative of what actually happens in game. You are much more likely to remember that time an old teacher had to hide with a tin of food under a pile of corpses instead of the news about the civil war that you will hear on the radio, which you might not even be able to build in the first place. Also, the morality system in the game is literally the best that I have seen in videogames up to date.

Did you say morality system? I am done!
No, wait! It is the best system, because there is none!

Your choices have consequences that actually affect the game and trigger completely different events. You do not get good guy or bad guy points for doing stuff, but characters react very differently to what happens in the game and that is essentially what drives the moral narrative. Some characters might be able to murder an old lady and get on with their lives, while someone else might choose to hang themselves when they get back to the shelter. Some characters might be ok with stealing other people's stuff, some will not.

Will you choose to harbor a rebel deserter at the threat of getting your shelter assaulted by his former rebel comrades? Do you help a girl fight off a rapist or do you use her as a distraction to loot the place? Whatever you choose, there will be a different follow up event, one way or another.

How much is this depression simulator?
$20 on Steam.

Screenshots:

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I've been playing this and find it pretty fascinating. I'm reminded of another indie game, Zafehouse Diaries, which was a zombie survival game - a great deal of the game seems to be that combination of planning and rolling with what items you get.

I'm not that far yet, I've restarted a few times due to frustration at my set up. It is quite interesting, though.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

It also reminded me of Zafehouse: Diaries, except with 100% more graphics.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

It also reminded me of Zafehouse: Diaries, except with 100% more graphics.

I also appreciate the skill system they have for each civilian, and the different personalities and reactions they seem to have in their bios.

Also I propose this game be subtitled "Goddamn it, Bruno!" because Bruno always seems to mess things up for me.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Been playing for a few hours, this game is really really fun but holy hell the things people are writing about it are insufferable. Yes please drone on for another three paragraphs about how the typical wargame never looks beyond the headshot and you should feel guilty about that and we all need to think more about the oppressed and brutalized and war is so awful and you're a horrible human if you don't play this game and my god shut up it's just a really fun game.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

^^^
My Bruno was a goddamn murder machine, saving civilians and chopping up baddies... Thought MVP went to Katia and her trading prowess.

I managed to win my very first game through a ton of trial and error (I lost three of my survivors). Probably the best thing I learned was how to handle combat. I'd definitely say that combat is This War of Mine's weakest point. Even if you get guns, it's best to avoid using them. Hatchets have been my best bet. Use the sound of running and slamming doors open to attract bandits to your murder closet where you can stealth kill from the shadows. Avoid gunfights and be patient.

It's a lovely game. I wish there was a bit more depth but it made me think pretty hard about what I had to do. I wanted to play a no kill run from the get go but after losing my three survivors I became super desperate and did mean things to nice people so I could save my half dead crew. By the time the game ended I had run out of nearly everything and 2 of my 4 survivors were severely wounded and ill. Survival is tense and after a string of bad luck you'll find yourself reconsidering your goals and priorities.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Bruno is literally a goon:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Colonel Corazon posted:

^^^
My Bruno was a goddamn murder machine, saving civilians and chopping up baddies... Thought MVP went to Katia and her trading prowess.

I managed to win my very first game through a ton of trial and error (I lost three of my survivors). Probably the best thing I learned was how to handle combat. I'd definitely say that combat is This War of Mine's weakest point. Even if you get guns, it's best to avoid using them. Hatchets have been my best bet. Use the sound of running and slamming doors open to attract bandits to your murder closet where you can stealth kill from the shadows. Avoid gunfights and be patient.

It's a lovely game. I wish there was a bit more depth but it made me think pretty hard about what I had to do. I wanted to play a no kill run from the get go but after losing my three survivors I became super desperate and did mean things to nice people so I could save my half dead crew. By the time the game ended I had run out of nearly everything and 2 of my 4 survivors were severely wounded and ill. Survival is tense and after a string of bad luck you'll find yourself reconsidering your goals and priorities.

"Whew, I'm looking forward to trading these cigarettes for food tomorrow...Bruno no, don't smoke that! Bruno no! GODDAMN IT BRUNO!"

"Alright, Bruno's the only one healthy enough to scavenge tomorrow...okay Bruno pick up the wood, Bruno. Okay I see you are overloaded with 10 items. I see. Good work, Bruno."

This has been my Bruno experience. Pavle has been my guy, and that other guy who is "great at scavenging".

Having the extra scavenging inventory space is huggggggggggeeeeee. The slow, strong guy is good, but I'm always worried about him getting caught up in a combat area and needing to run away.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Pavle in my game became batman and killed all bandits before hanging himself.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Gordon posted:

His bio is that he was the star of a cooking show.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

His bio is that he was the star of a cooking show.

Cooking with Bruno (Season 1 Episode 2): Yes, you can bake Cheetos into an omelette!

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 18, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Fun game, but I found that by day 20 or so I had fully accelerated out of the difficulty curve of the game. I spent the last 15 days of my game not doing anything at night and just skipping through the days, and that's following 7 nights prior that I could have done the same as well. I had a reasonably good time with the experience, but I kinda feel that either there needed to be more content/challenge to stretch things out or the war end should come sooner that it did for me. By the end for me I wasn't really engaging with the core loop at all because I was effectively self-sufficient.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Brackhar posted:

Fun game, but I found that by day 20 or so I had fully accelerated out of the difficulty curve of the game. I spent the last 15 days of my game not doing anything at night and just skipping through the days, and that's following 7 nights prior that I could have done the same as well. I had a reasonably good time with the experience, but I kinda feel that either there needed to be more content/challenge to stretch things out or the war end should come sooner that it did for me. By the end for me I wasn't really engaging with the core loop at all because I was effectively self-sufficient.

Sounds like you got lucky. In my current game, fighting between the rebels and the military closed off access to half of the locations by day 8. It's now day 20 and there's literally no other place to pick up a substantial amount of stuff. I've butchered every bandit in every area I can access but I'm basically reliant on Franko to show up with things that are actually worth trading, and I'm constantly short on mechanical parts and components to make the furniture I need.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Haven't had much time to play this but it seems pretty entertaining.
Some jerks shot at me and told me to gently caress off after getting caught trying to steal all their stuff so I came back and murdered them all.

Now my remaining survivors are all utterly depressed. This is brilliant.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ErKeL posted:

Now my remaining survivors are all utterly depressed. This is brilliant.
It's cool that they make a distinction between normal dudes and bandits. I murdered 2 bandits and Pavle felt good about it for days.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Coolguye posted:

It's cool that they make a distinction between normal dudes and bandits. I murdered 2 bandits and Pavle felt good about it for days.

Yet more evidence to support my theory that Pavle is literally Polish Batman

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Does anyone know what Anton's Good Mathematician does? Or is it a useless perk like the teachers Good with Children one?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Captain Gordon posted:

I don't know if the character personalities are randomized also, but in my game Bruno is also the best goon because he doesn't give a poo poo. So a few people died for us to get this tuna can and three planks, I don't see the issue. Stop your bitching :clint:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fewd posted:

I don't know if the character personalities are randomized also, but in my game Bruno is also the best goon because he doesn't give a poo poo. So a few people died for us to get this tuna can and three planks, I don't see the issue. Stop your bitching :clint:

Bruno's been pretty hard boiled all my playthroughs. He gets a morale boost from helping most people out like most folks do, but he doesn't really get down about anything short of cold blooded murder of peaceful old people.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Does anyone know what Anton's Good Mathematician does? Or is it a useless perk like the teachers Good with Children one?

Seems useless, Anton has been my weakest character in my current playthrough by far. But it still makes sense to keep him around, since 4 is almost the ideal number of survivors in this game. You can have a scavenger, a doubled watch, and someone sleeping so the next day everyone can be sleeping off their night activity from about 6AM to noon, while the guy who slept through the night can be cooking meals, stocking the furnace, building tools with last night's haul, etc. It also means you don't suddenly become critically shorthanded if someone gets sick.

Coolguye posted:

Sounds like you got lucky. In my current game, fighting between the rebels and the military closed off access to half of the locations by day 8. It's now day 20 and there's literally no other place to pick up a substantial amount of stuff. I've butchered every bandit in every area I can access but I'm basically reliant on Franko to show up with things that are actually worth trading, and I'm constantly short on mechanical parts and components to make the furniture I need.
Also, fuuuuuuuck. On Day 22, the military finally hosed off and opened up a few spots for me to loot again, but on day 25, winter set in and closed off access to half the city again! :argh:

Fortunately it was the half of the city NOT closed off by fighting, so while I was still kicked out of some good spots I hadn't handled yet, it also opened up another bandit zone for me to clean out. I've made it to day 38 now, and winter just ended as I was calling it a night last night. There's some hopeful news on the radio for once so I think I've got this one in the bag as long as I don't run out of water.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 18, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Your story will be hard, sad, regretful, but always there will be that small sliver of hope. You'll get your chances to uphold your morals or dash them on the rocks. Gear, food, people, and the game will be lost but there will always be a next day to try again.

Get off the fence and buy this amazing game.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat I really really want this but when a game goes above $9.99 or so my strict policy about never paying full price for anything on Steam goes into effect. Hopefully I can nab it sometime around Christmas though.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Although I'm not likely to go back to this, I never did figure out the mechanic for melting snow. What do you actually need to do?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Brackhar posted:

Although I'm not likely to go back to this, I never did figure out the mechanic for melting snow. What do you actually need to do?

If you dig up some snow from the pile you will get the option to make water at the oven or improved oven (I only tried the latter). It will be under the meal icons in the oven interface. You will need a filter and some fuel in order to melt the snow into safe water and you will get 4 units of water back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The crude oven works and the formula is identical to the improved oven. The benefit to the improved oven is that it reduces fuel and water consumption on recipes down to a minimum of 1. Which basically makes it one of the best upgrades ever if you can scrape together the parts without compromising anything major; water is a pain in the rear end to get at the best of times and fuel is a constant struggle once it starts getting cold.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I can never find food. Best bet for reliable food is to trade at the center but even then it's usually low and not enough to support even 2 people really.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Slumpy posted:

I can never find food. Best bet for reliable food is to trade at the center but even then it's usually low and not enough to support even 2 people really.

Rat traps and herb garden upgrade! After getting the metal workbench and the rain collector I aim for the traps. They can take a few days to provide meat (it varies) and the upgraded garden gives veggies every few days. You'll need a lot of water though. I can support 4 people just fine and maybe even a 5th this way.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I typically make it a very high priority to get an improved workbench and 2 small animal traps up and going as soon as feasible. Basics like getting everyone a bed come first, but a Small Animal Trap will allow you to turn 1 Fertilizer into 2 Raw Food with...some unknown turnover. It can be 3-4 days before you get a rat and actually get your food, but it goes a LONG way toward making the food fight easier. Late game, you can work on getting a Vegetable Garden set up and that will also supplement your food source with 4 veggies every 72 hours. This ends up being 8 meals if you cook them with raw food.

If you've got Katia, always trade with Franko for all the raw food and veggies he's carrying. Give him medicine for it, or, later on, spare weapons - going all Polish Batman on bandits will tend to give you shotguns and assault rifles to spare. If you're eating well and getting enough sleep it's very unlikely anyone will get sick before it gets cold, and even after it gets cold if you relegate someone to bed rest once they get the sniffles, chances are fantastic they will pull through it a day later, presuming you keep the shelter warm. So medications and herbal meds are, generally speaking, very tradeable. Franko works better than the center since you don't have to waste a night to talk to Franko, and he typically brings at least 4 units of food.

Beyond that, any place that is noted as having 'lots of food' will traditionally have at least 4-6 Raw Food or Canned Food on the premises, and even in peaceful areas like the hospital that food is quite often inside public scavenging zones.

All that said, I'm pretty well set up and I haven't seen a good way to really get ahead of your food requirements, even getting close to end game. I'm probably 75% food self-sufficient with my own guys and even then I rarely have more than 2 days worth of food in the fridge.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Protip: don't take stupid risks on your only scavenging guy :saddowns:

Marko did fight against three bandits like a pro though. Too bad I didn't see the third one coming, who put so goddamned many holes in Marko he'll be born as swiss cheese in his next life.

And I'm stuck doing runs with people sporting 10 inventory slots.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I shamelessly savescummed until I figured out combat. I'll disagree with Corazon in that guns are very useful for suppressing dudes, which gives you an opportunity to run away to the next hidey hole. Shotguns are also fantastic for covering a door because even when they don't kill someone outright, they knock their health so low it takes the fight out of most of them. But the majority of my murder comes from stealth killing from hiding spots, since that's a OHKO with a hatchet.

That said, there's been once or twice when people just don't cooperate. Loot the bodies as you go and be willing to bug out if dudes aren't pathing right. A couple of pistols alone constitutes a great score for the evening, remember; if you picked up a couple of shotguns or a military vest, game over you just loving win at that point.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Having a good steady supply of Scrap and Wood is the biggest struggle for me, so much of my scavenger time is consumed by it or by getting things to trade for them.

Everyone last game became Broken aside from one last guy. They laid there as my stronghold gradually wore away.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

Having a good steady supply of Scrap and Wood is the biggest struggle for me, so much of my scavenger time is consumed by it or by getting things to trade for them.

Everyone last game became Broken aside from one last guy. They laid there as my stronghold gradually wore away.

Wood isn't too bad, especially if your scavenger is alive. If you upgrade the metal workshop or whatever that thing was called where you make weapons, then you can make hatchets and break furniture which is all over.

The parts and wood are also pretty cheap to barter for. I always empty the guys who come over to barter.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

So the devs for this game are pretty cool. This is from a certain site that people go to steal games.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How does combat work? I only get an orange circle once and then the raiders kill me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ipaid10buxforthis posted:

How does combat work? I only get an orange circle once and then the raiders kill me.

If you can melee somebody from stealth you instakill them, orange circle means your shot is centered and you'll do good damage. You can shoot when it isn't but you won't do much damage.

Trade for the AK ASAP and just murder everybody. Take two full stacks of bullets with you, use the noise notices to spot people and hide behind cover. Anybody moving up or down a ladder is basically dead by the time they get off it. Certain locations will have decent numbers of enemies, the army outpost has like 6, the warehouse has 4/5, and the church has 4. You can run away and come back if you have to.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Its educational as well. The Polish dont mind expressing the horrors of war.

And can you do a true "stealth is our only defense." Or is there going to be moments where we have trade lives for butter?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gyrobot posted:

And can you do a true "stealth is our only defense." Or is there going to be moments where we have trade lives for butter?

You will get robbed during the night at times and that is unavoidable. But considering your stronghold is a 4 story building with 2 basement levels this doesn't seem like an oversight. You handle this problem by boarding up the holes in your structure, and, later, installing a reinforced front door. Beyond that you post guards, who will use any armor and weapons left at the safehouse to fend off intruders.

It is entirely possible to solid snake most zones without killing anyone and in Pavle's case you can outrun basically anyone who gets on your rear end so killing people is very, very far from required to win. That said, there's basically no reason to not kill bandits as long as you are methodical and don't get your poo poo pushed in while murdering them. Most characters get a psychological boost out of killing bandits (Katia is the only one I've found who feels sad afterward), and they tend to carry functioning shotguns/AKs and armor, both of which trade for quite a lot.

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you can melee somebody from stealth you instakill them, orange circle means your shot is centered and you'll do good damage. You can shoot when it isn't but you won't do much damage.
This isn't true unless you're from a hiding spot. If someone is just standing there and you whack them with a stealth move it'll knock off a ton of their health but they won't die, and since your survivor is invariably super polite about letting the enemy collect himself after a stabbing there's a good chance you'll get a bullet or a weapon butt for your trouble. If you're attacking from a hiding spot you'll get all The Shining on a dude and then they are hosed.

Fewd posted:

Wood isn't too bad, especially if your scavenger is alive. If you upgrade the metal workshop or whatever that thing was called where you make weapons, then you can make hatchets and break furniture which is all over.
Yeah, wood is basically solved forever by hatchets. You can get about 30 planks from breaking down the useless bullshit in your safehouse alone, plus a fair bit of fuel. After that you can just roll out to any place that's pacified (like the initial abandoned house or whatever) and chop up practically everything for the wood and fuel salvage. The only problem is trucking it home, which is legitimately a very big problem if you don't have Marko or Pavle.

Components and parts remain a loving struggle all game though, especially components because high-end equipment will routinely require 30-40 a pop and after the first couple of zones it becomes very difficult to come by components in bulk.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

The first trader at the central square usually has a ton of components (30-40) and sells them for "almost nothing".

But yeah, if the fighting or snow cut off the access to the square, its tough to find them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The square is not guaranteed to even spawn, too.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

The one thing that makes me legitimately sad is the amount of circle jerking that surrounds this game at the minute. I mean, its good that the game got a warm reception and positive press, but there are so many pretentious, insufferable "reviews" of this game that I can't really blame anyone for deciding to staying away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Gordon posted:

The one thing that makes me legitimately sad is the amount of circle jerking that surrounds this game at the minute. I mean, its good that the game got a warm reception and positive press, but there are so many pretentious, insufferable "reviews" of this game that I can't really blame anyone for deciding to staying away.

At least it's not Dark Souls.

• Locked thread