Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The game really needs to do a better job explaining that running makes people mad. I've had two games where I was running around the hospital, and suddenly someone shot me in the face. I assumed it was some sort of glitch. It's pretty boring and doesn't add anything to gameplay, so I kind of hope they just patch it out.

I also got into a gunfight in a warehouse where I was standing on top of a shelf, and my guy refused to fire after one shot. The enemy on the other hand floated half way through the platform and gunned me down. I should have just mashed alt F4 when I saw things start to glitch out.

still I'm having fun with the game, and hopefully in my next run I'll be used to the rough edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I had a great time playing this game. I managed to finish a play through that lasted 39 days. It started out in winter though. I had 1 guy died because I thought I killed everyone in the hotel, but 1 was left and I went in with no weapon and died.

Some of the mechanic stuff is weird. I went to the hospital, searched the first pile in it, a guard runs down the hall, screams that's mine, I stop and he proceeds to shoot me-- locking out ever going to the hospital again. I tried going back there after a week and the guard was at the front door shooting me as I entered the zone.

Also, I hate those stupid kids that show up. I had 2 medicine bottles, and the lawyer was slightly sick. They ask for both, sure, nobody is really bad. Right after, she gets sick, then very sick and pretty much spent the rest of the game in bed doing nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Running isn't supposed to aggravate people, that is an acknowledged bug on the forums. There are also certain circumstances where some dudes get pissy about stuff they shouldn't, like looting public scavenging piles. They have said they are working on fixing it.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
I was curious, but didn't get a chance to check it out. The town square, that has the sniper street part, with the hotel in the distance. If you go to the hotel, can you find/kill the sniper there and it will free up the town square? I was wondering if an area can change like that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You're thinking of Sniper Junction, and no, there is no way to go murder that dickhead.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Started up a new game and decided to focus hardcore on morale so I wouldn't end up in the same situation as last time. I also started with Roman, and that dude is a bandit murdering machine, goddamn. It's so nice being able to take out a guy in one hit when you sneak up on him in melee. Just clean em out with Roman, then send Boris in to haul everything back home. I haven't done any industry stuff, haven't stolen from any innocents, and haven't done any trading outside of the guy who shows up during the daytime, but I'm still pretty set here on day ~35.

Whoever said that the military outpost is a goldmine was right. I found that the trick to cracking it open was to rush up the ladder at the entrance to stealth melee kill the lookout with Roman, then shoot the trading guy as he climbs up the ladder to get at you. After that initial bit you have a lot more options to work with.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I just finished the game on my third try, started with Katia, Marin and Arica which proved to be a really, really succesful combination. Managed to get a moonshine factory going quite early on, so I was never in danger of starving. IT started in the winter though, so a lot of hauling back wood&materials the first week before it stopped snowing and it was a pretty smooth ride from there on.

Stabbing from behind I think is an instant kill all of the time, I've never failed to properly backstab anyone in any of my three tries (even without Roman).

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Greggster posted:

I just finished the game on my third try, started with Katia, Marin and Arica which proved to be a really, really succesful combination. Managed to get a moonshine factory going quite early on, so I was never in danger of starving. IT started in the winter though, so a lot of hauling back wood&materials the first week before it stopped snowing and it was a pretty smooth ride from there on.

Booze Baron really is easymode, especially with Bruno and/or Katia.

Franko is the only endlessly renewable source of components, which is your primary late-game bottleneck as they are used to produce water, which you need in quantity.

You can also reliably get from him enough sugar to make at least two bottles of moonshine, which in turn is enough to buy all his sugar on his next visit, plus some other stuff.

Once you have a solid food base (2 traps + veg garden) and your still to keep you in components, there's no real need to go scavenging unless your people get sick a lot, as Franko's meds are expensive.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vargs posted:

Whoever said that the military outpost is a goldmine was right. I found that the trick to cracking it open was to rush up the ladder at the entrance to stealth melee kill the lookout with Roman, then shoot the trading guy as he climbs up the ladder to get at you. After that initial bit you have a lot more options to work with.
Even if you don't have Roman, you can just blast him with a shotgun. It'll summon basically everyone on the front half of the map, and you can ambush them from the top of the ladder, which will murder them pretty clean and quick.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I've only been able to start with 3 out of 4 characters. Looter, Cook, Barter and Runner. The Looter and Barterer seem to be the only ones changing, which sucks cause I'd much rather have those 2 and the Runner.

I've run into one other party member so far.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I just got a start with only two people, Anton and Cveta. The plus side is I also started with two beds and an armchair. Not sure how I'll manage with two of the worst characters but I guess it's time to roll the dice.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004

Tanreall posted:

I just got a start with only two people, Anton and Cveta. The plus side is I also started with two beds and an armchair. Not sure how I'll manage with two of the worst characters but I guess it's time to roll the dice.

Ha, I just started a game up and got that one as well.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Someone in this thread mentioned save-scumming. Is that even possible in this game? I haven't found any way to save except the auto one at the start of each day, and it really sucks if you make a minor fuckup since you have to quickly quit the game and then redo the entire day.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Someone in this thread mentioned save-scumming. Is that even possible in this game? I haven't found any way to save except the auto one at the start of each day, and it really sucks if you make a minor fuckup since you have to quickly quit the game and then redo the entire day.

Yeah that's what most people do if they gently caress up during the scavenge run at night and get someone hurt/killed or don't find what they're looking for.

You could theoretically make copies of the save files and be able to revert further back, but that's a lot more effort than I'm prepared to put in.

e: all the overnight events, like bandit attacks and people getting sick or wounded, are generated when each day loads, so you can exit and resume and it'll reroll those events.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I get the point behind making the game so you can't savescum without force-quitting (you can't save and reload in war, choices have consequences and are permanent, if you gently caress up you live with it or die with it, etc etc) but after you've been playing the game for a while and you're just curious to see what else it has to offer it's more annoying than it is interesting.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
you can do save scumming to avoid people getting ill or avoiding a raid as every time you load the dices are thrown

the game is so easy though once you figure it out. I hope future updates are directed at improving the replayability by allowing custom rules or more randomness in locations / house / events

I like the different viable strategies (bandit + booze, harvest moon, trader, whatever) however, if the penalty for killing is getting sad, but the bonus is loot and that loot has lots of booze which in turn fixes being sad. Then well, not much of a risk in the reward.

ropa fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 25, 2014

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I wonder with the way the game does places, if you leave the scavenger-instance supermarket immediately, will all the loot remain there the next day and the scavengers be gone?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bootcha posted:

I wonder with the way the game does places, if you leave the scavenger-instance supermarket immediately, will all the loot remain there the next day and the scavengers be gone?

Spoilered just in case: The scavengers will be gone, the stuff will still be there.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've been enjoying this game a lot.

First two runs weren't that successful. Building up during the first 10 days went ok, but after that I was too scared to fight my way through dangerous maps. Instead I half heartedly started stealing from hobo's and pensioners, reluctantly got into a fight with a relative of them and almost died, then people got sick, wounded, and just spiralled into suicide. In my latest game I've been more proactive and, clearly, Cossack Batman is the way to go.

Only thing that annoys me slightly is that there's no fast forward, I can only skip the entire day. Sometimes I just want to skip forward a few hours to get a next batch of water or moonshine in, or to switch sleeping shifts to get everyone rested, or to wait for Franco because the man is a goddamn hero for coming to my house with a wagon-load of components and wood. I'd also like to be able to ration smokes, because drat Bruno, those were to be traded for food, not all smoked on the same day (my house smoked 9 cigarettes that day).

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
To prevent cigarette use I have been abusing that bug where you can keep stuff stored safely in a locker in the base. As long as you never empty one of the cabinets or whatever you can fill it up with stuff and nobody will use it, and it won't get stolen from at night. I assume they will patch that out eventually, though it'd be nice if you could build a secure locker or safe.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Do "Dangerous" areas repopulate enemies after a certain amount of time? I cleared out the warehouse and was happily emptying it out over a few nights when I sprinted into someone guarding the front door who attacked and almost killed my survivor.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fat Samurai posted:

Spoilered just in case: The scavengers will be gone, the stuff will still be there.

Although to be honest, killing all three of them is my preferred method at that point because the guns they have are worth a gently caress load and the booze you find more than covers the depression

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm really enjoying the game but I wish it had more interesting character dynamics. I'd like a few assholes in the mix who have useful skills but don't like helping others, selfish if you will. If you send a guy off to help the neighbors or give precious food to bums he'll get angry and start beating people.

Edit. Or traits like angry drunk, if you give him booze for depression he's liable to get violent and smash furniture or people.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 26, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really enjoying the game but I wish it had more interesting character dynamics. I'd like a few assholes in the mix who have useful skills but don't like helping others, selfish if you will. If you send a guy off to help the neighbors or give precious food to buns he'll get angry and start beating people.

Roman is kinda like this. He usually gets annoyed when you help anyone other than children, and will indeed beat the poo poo out of your other characters when he gets upset.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I noticed the gunpowder description text has it stating its use in ammo AND explosives. I wonder if these were a thing at one point. Have a vault or some kind of dooms day bunker be breached with some diy boom sticks. Anyway I was able to win for a 2nd time after cracking the treasure trove of goodies that is the military outpost. The map is set up with a ton of hidey holes which makes murderin a game of reverse whack a mole. Oddly enough I was never able to get a level 3 workstation up. I tried being as peaceful as I could but roman got terminally wounded stealing food supplies for the currently very hungry house. Lucky enough the lawyer woman showed up the day before he ended up croaking. Had a single depression pow wow but had a community event cancel it all out the next day. My whole play through was a series of devastating losses with saving grace hail marys fallowing.

A couple of games ago I had a single person start. Marko did his best but the raids just shut everything down. Anything I found was just stolen the next night. I ended up exploiting the all your crap in a cabinet makes it loot proof trick to survive to day 15. Got cocky and got my self seriously wounded. The next day I had a neighbor ask for help but because I couldn't leave the house unattended it put him into broken. That was the end of that.

Customizable starting options, previous game statics, game play documentation, better feed back on what things are actually doing are a couple of easy quality of life features id like to see. I never really could tell what having the radio set to the music station did or having the guitar being played got me. Thinking more long term I could see finding parts to fix a vehicle that then gives access to more parts of the city an option. Maybe I'm doing trading wrong but even with Katia's bonus it never felt useful. In most cases it seems more useful to scavenge home improvement upgrade/food items over valuable economy items because A) you can't count on the merchants being available or even having what you need and B) not patching your house which requires an upgraded workbench makes raids hard to deal with. I've heard finding an early AK with some bullets make night guarding go a lot smother so maybe I've just had bad luck in that regard. Also on a funny note while watching a video I noticed the "Well Fed" status. In the 20 hours I've played this I never knew that was a thing. I've never felt I was in a position where having all my guys above hungry was a good idea.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Hiding in a cabinet is seriously the only proper way to murder people. I tried face to face combat a few times and it's pretty much always a fiasco. First time, with a crowbar against fists, both my opponent and me nearly died, and I survived only because of a lucky hit in the end. Second time, against a knife, I had a sliver of health left when a second guy shotgunned my rear end while I was running away.

Third time I tried the pistol, which was actually ok. I had just Batmanned another guy upstairs, and tried to open a door with a crowbar to bring the next guy upstairs. The cupboard of death wasn't situated ideally though, so while I was hiding he stood there 5 metres away looking towards my killing zone, and then he started to read a book while my time was almost up. Luckily I had stolen a pistol and 5 bullets from the previous guy. The pistol really doesn't do a lot of damage though, and it took all 5 bullets before my enemy was cowering, and then I still had to finish him off with a hatchet.

The noise brought the last guy in the house who promptly ended up dead when he ambled past my doorway of doom.

FalloutGod posted:

Maybe I'm doing trading wrong but even with Katia's bonus it never felt useful. In most cases it seems more useful to scavenge home improvement upgrade/food items over valuable economy items because A) you can't count on the merchants being available or even having what you need and B) not patching your house which requires an upgraded workbench makes raids hard to deal with. I've heard finding an early AK with some bullets make night guarding go a lot smother so maybe I've just had bad luck in that regard. Also on a funny note while watching a video I noticed the "Well Fed" status. In the 20 hours I've played this I never knew that was a thing. I've never felt I was in a position where having all my guys above hungry was a good idea.

I did not know you could start with one person, that's a seriously messed up situation, but also cool.

Trading can be pretty useful but depends on luck a bit. Even though Franco asks higher prices, the great thing about him is that you're getting goods delivered during daytime so you can keep building and crafting stuff. You can get 1-2 nights worth of scavenging out of him every time he comes, and sometimes he has the little cogwheel-parts thingies. At the start, you won't have a lot of great stuff to trade, but once you get a Brunory set up and make your own BrunoBrew, the moonshine is already pretty ok for trade, the distilled alcohol better, and when you get to make bandages out of them you're pretty much printing money.

Certain other traders are, I think, messed up. If you get a friendly church map, the father there ended up trading me a full load of parts and components for a single cigarette. I stashed it in some rocks for a rainy day and then proceeded to loot the building behind the church. I also traded a bandage to the guy in the garage for an early hatchet. That allows you to break up all the furniture at home for about 30 wood and 20 fuel.

I got my early AK from the soldier bothering a girl in the supermarket. He faces away from you so you can pretty safely kill him. But you need to get lucky to get that particular version of the map.

Edit: Finished my first whole run, 46 days, 4 survivors, but not without some savescumming. 2-3 were just to get used to combat, and then another 3 or so because the game screwed me over and I didn't understand why. Top floor of the hospital, there was a guy on a bed and a hand-icon (not the stealy finger thing) close-by, so I assumed he was either dead or there was a container nearby or something. Nope, turned out I was stealing from some poor bloke, he goes aggro, I run, and the whole hospital turns bonkers and tries to murder me. After that, other friendly contacts were also hostile, like the guy in the garage. That happened at day 36, and since I wasn't interested in trying other traders just to get shot at, I decided to just stick it out at home, brew barrels of vodka, and hope for a well-stocked Franco. Turned out pretty ok, only almost ran out of bullets when there was a crime-spree and each night took about 5-10 bullets for defence. Worst time was just after winter struck. If I hadn't heard over the radio that cold weather was coming all my guys would've frozen to death when the temperature dropped from 16 to 6 in a single day.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Was excited to see a patch today, but apparently it still crashes when alt+tab'ing.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Apparently they have patched it, so that the NPCs who aggro my trader girl for no reason now behaves.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
How the hell do you get across the yard between the first and second building in the Military Outpost? I ambushed the two guys at the entrance and murder-closeted the three guys in the first building without too much trouble, but I can't get across the drat yard. There's always some rear end in a top hat sentry on the balcony on the second building that spots me as soon as I try to sneak across.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
You can go to the other direction also :ssh:
Let him spot you and retreat back into the first building to ambush. Close doors after you so he doesn't get a chance to shoot.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

I beat the game, but alas, no more options ie winter starts.
Any other way than rerolling until you get one?

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004

Daktari posted:

Apparently they have patched it, so that the NPCs who aggro my trader girl for no reason now behaves.

Oh good. I was in the middle of a game where I never even visited the military base until now at day 35 and I walk in with trading gear and they all shout "that's mine" and start shooting.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Daktari posted:

I beat the game, but alas, no more options ie winter starts.
Any other way than rerolling until you get one?

I think it stays that way until you attempt a few days of the winter start. Guess it's a case of "give it a shot, you lout" till the RNG gives you non-winter starts. Though I think the recent patch made the starting RNG a bit more easier.

As for me, I'm at a point where I need to figure out what I should prioritize. This is my setup thus far: http://imgur.com/rPMD09z,tYWTGWp,9b8dUls,DbtP390

Bat-Pavle tends to go in first and collect all the items at the front entrance of the map, and Boris will collect a larger load on subsequent visits. Bruno does the brewing, cooking, and some construction. And Katia is on trade duty either at the home or away at the Garage/School/etc

I've gotten lucky with the amount of veggies I've acquired, and I've been able to get enough meat when I've needed it. The moonshine and extra meds I've found have got me up to this point with Katia trading, but I'm at the point I need to start producing stuff on my own.

My thoughts are to get an upgraded garden up ASAP so I can get more veggies, which will then require another rain catcher if I want two gardens. I have 4 animal meds, but I don't need to turn them into real meds just yet, plus I'd need a distiller along with that plus other high-end components. A furnace is a long ways away. A door alarm upgrade would probably ease my worries but I'm not sure.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You can build two rat traps, which should supply enough meat. I use fertilizer in them because I didn't get a garden until the end. Winter isn't too bad once you can make a hatchet. Cutting all the useless furniture in your house should make enough lumber to board up your house. Then you can send your biggest guy to just about any cleared map with a hatchet to get more lumber and fuel. The good thing about winter is you can make tons of water, so long as you have enough junk, since you don't have to use the rainwater collector that can only get 8 water per day. The downside is, it's more resource intensive, but fuel is easy to get and you can trade for junk in mass quantities.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

Regarding the variety in starting options, it's related to how much you've done of previous runs.
Too bad you have to make up your own challenges after you've figured out the game. Clean the house day one, grab materials day two and three, go to town in the supermarket day 4.

I'd like to do the solo run, except for the bug which prevents me from stashing my poo poo in one of the cabinets in the shelter. Or maybe circumventing the house getting robbed, without anyone there at night, was a bug they patched out?

I guess I fiddle some more with the game, and then let it cool until they up the variety on shelters and binary spawns on the same locations.

Any similar games out there, like Banished or FTL?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Daktari posted:

I'd like to do the solo run, except for the bug which prevents me from stashing my poo poo in one of the cabinets in the shelter. Or maybe circumventing the house getting robbed, without anyone there at night, was a bug they patched out?

Not a bug, but an exploit. And yes, it was patched out forever.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Daktari posted:

Regarding the variety in starting options, it's related to how much you've done of previous runs.
Too bad you have to make up your own challenges after you've figured out the game. Clean the house day one, grab materials day two and three, go to town in the supermarket day 4.

I guess I fiddle some more with the game, and then let it cool until they up the variety on shelters and binary spawns on the same locations.

Any similar games out there, like Banished or FTL?

So you have to unlock new runs by playing longer?

Because currently all my runs are just Marko/Pavle/Bruno, or Katia/Bruno/Pavle. Would like a bit more variety, so I'm curious what unlocks different options.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bootcha posted:

My thoughts are to get an upgraded garden up ASAP so I can get more veggies, which will then require another rain catcher if I want two gardens. I have 4 animal meds, but I don't need to turn them into real meds just yet, plus I'd need a distiller along with that plus other high-end components. A furnace is a long ways away. A door alarm upgrade would probably ease my worries but I'm not sure.
You can hold off on the door alarm unless the radio starts hollaring about a rise of crime. A veggie garden is definitely the first priority I'd say, the 2 hot meal recipe with 1 raw food and 1 veggie is utterly fantastic and doesn't benefit from Bruno's skills, which can free him up to brew. After that I actually would go with a med bench. You've got Bruno, so making 1 unit of real medications will set you back only 2 herbs and 1 medical part, which is quite frankly ridiculous in terms of how much it can get you - especially with Katia to sell the spares.

Two gardens seems like a gloating victory lap move to me. It's not even remotely required with how people only need to eat every other day, as long as you have the meat one vegetable garden will keep 4 survivors fed through the end of the war. It might make sense to have stuff to trade away, but at that point, what are you even going to trade for?

Rookersh posted:

Because currently all my runs are just Marko/Pavle/Bruno, or Katia/Bruno/Pavle. Would like a bit more variety, so I'm curious what unlocks different options.
I started getting a lot more randomness in my starts after beating the game the first time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Pro tip: if you need a particular person for multiple tasks involving his perks, have him start one activity, then move him and have someone else finish the job while he does the other task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

Pro tip: if you need a particular person for multiple tasks involving his perks, have him start one activity, then move him and have someone else finish the job while he does the other task.

Marin should always be planning out construction projects while never joining the help in building them.

• Locked thread