Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did any more of those Violet Sedan Chair LPs turn up? I remember one of the producers saying that they made 500-1000 and arranged to have them put in record-store clearance bins, but only about three ever turned up after they were announced.

It's sad, because it sounds like they put a lot of effort into making them all different from each other, and the liner notes specifically mention that some kind of supernatural effect will take place if thee copies are played together in one room at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

grilldos posted:

I'd pay good money for one of those vinyls. And there were a lot less pressed than that.

Edit: Hell.

I probably shouldn't admit that I bid on that very auction when it was around $200.00, or another around the same time. I always figured more would pop up.

I guess the majority of the albums got snapped up immediately by diehard vinyl fans who had never heard of Fringe but noticed an apparently vintage album from a band and label they had never heard of.

I haven't seen anything about them since 2011.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

howe_sam posted:

In the season 2 premiere not only is there a reference to a previous "X designation" of Fringe cases during Broyles's congressional hearing, but they actually show a clip from an X-Files episode on a tv in the background of a scene.

I have sometimes suspected that they put that clip in there to warn people away from taking the earlier reference too seriously.

Though later they straight-up say that Walter knows Dr. Jacobi from Twin Peaks, who mails him a package from Twin Peaks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fetus Tree posted:

Lol thread is already ruined. I guess ill make one in gbs if i decide i want to talk about fringe!

I loved the first season because it took what looked like really standard tv cliches and turned them upside down right before blowing the premise of the show wide open. That scene in the cemetery at the end of the season finale is amazing for everything that it tells us about Walter and his history and the nature of the show's world.

"I made that plug in case...anything..might happen to follow me back through to this dimension, Peter."

That they would then wait so long to show us anything of the other side and leave it entirely to our imaginations to conjure what the other Walter had felt and been through and done was masterful.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

John Noble made Dark Matters worth watching. That man can spin gold from poo poo.

For like three minutes. And that was in 2010, so Fringe was still going at the time.

I like to imagine that Dark Matters is a documentary series Walternate hosted after retiring as secretary of defense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's worth repeating that they cared enough about their characters to find a way to give them happy endings. The Walternate in season three would never have been able to find peace.

Well, they cared for all their characters other than Sam Weiss.

And Agent Jessup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished Bates Motel, am down for a rewatch of Fringe. I haven't seen most episodes since they aired.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pilot's great because Walter only knows where he is and what's going on half the time, but when he does he gets ashamed of what he can't remember or forgets. He also veers wildly between the competent pre-surgery Walter and the goofy Walter he usually is.

I wonder if they were still working out how he went from one to the other at that point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like how when it came out somebody either on the show or with the network tried to claim that it was interesting because maybe it was from the other universe or some other universe where Charlie is still alive and also the other characters act like they're in season 1.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Edit: wrong thread, so I'll just say here that for a man so tall and physically imposing, Lance Reddick has surprisingly delicate hands.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 26, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember how interested I was in that second-long shot of the three men in a hospital-esque room at the end of the episode: no connection to Massive Dynamic or the bad guy in this episode that's clear, no indication of why two are in tubes and one's on a cot, and no clear indication of whether they all look alike or are just young in-shape guys. I was hooked from that moment forward by how ominous it all seemed, shifting the scene radically from Walter and Peter sharing a moment together to something we have no way of understanding while Peter and Walter keep singing on the soundtrack. The first time I saw it it seemed to sublime in how weird and unintelligible poo poo invaded Walter and Peter's domestic tranquility just like that.

I guess that's one of the things that gets lost as mysteries resolve into clarity, but that right there at the end of the first episode just posed this threatening confusion that I really liked about the early episodes. They save the day for whoever they're trying to save, but ultimately they don't have a clue what's going on or why--and all kinds of crazy poo poo could be happening without them even noticing.

This time, I totally loved the scene between Walter and Peter where he was trying to restart that woman's heart. Walter's total unconcern as he effortlessly solves an impossible practical problem really says so much about what he's capable of and where his limits are. It's also one of the first real moments of genuine connection he and Peter share, something underscored by his faltering attempts to bond with Peter earlier in the episode.

I also wish we saw that Pattern Committee at least one more time. Some of those people have really interesting faces. It makes me wonder when and how the producers decided to rush the plotting and burn through what was going to be two-and-a-half seasons, and if we would have seen more of them if the Pattern stuff had lasted longer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Was Bell also Not-Bowie's boss in the original timeline?

Who's Not Bowie? There are a number of antagonists whose names feature Bowie connections. If it's David Robert Jones, then yes he is always Bell's protege and he's always out to murder Bell for firing him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I would say that his time in Universe B in the original timeline and Walters influence on him made him into a decent man. He was not good, but not a complete douchebag either.

In the season 2 finale it seems kind of like his time having to help save a world destroyed by Walter's hubris has humbled him. He actually spent a lot of his life trying to clean up Walter's worst transgressions.

In season 4 he's just totally nuts from having cancer or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I started watching the show before this thread popped up but only it got me to push through to the finale of S1. It's not bad, but I didn't like it all that much... otherwise I wouldn't take me a year to finish the season.

Pretty much every episode starts off with a great promising cold open, but sadly in most cases the rest of the episode just can't deliver. A lot of them being anagrams of X-files cases is one of the reasons, but it's hardly the most serious one. The characters come off a bit stereotypical (there's a literal mad scientist!) and them working together at all is kind of ridiculous, but whatever.

The real issue for me was that this season just wasn't very engaging to watch, so I often found myself browsing on the phone or otherwise taking a break. A big part of this, I think, was Walt being responsible for literally everything outright, or at the least building a contraption to solve the MOTW, whether it's teleportation or psychics or biochem. Peter then asks him to repeat everything in English, the end. This is kind of explained by the end of the season, but a) It doesn't really explain it and b) it doesn't make things more interesting retroactively anyway.

Really? I think it perfectly explains why Walter seems able to figure everything out so easily (because another version of him cooked it up before Jones stole it), and in a way that radically opens up the narrative. Although part of that is how long it takes between the time you know that Walternate is out there and the first time you see him. All that weird science is like him striking out, but you can only imagine how sad and angry and dangerous he must be. The anticipation is amazing. The show handled the introduction of Over There absolutely perfectly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was shocked at what a little poo poo this week's victim was. He killed tons of people and only cared slightly that his crush died, but not that much--and he never really seemed to have been held even slightly responsible. After the charming nerd last week, this guy came off looking really nasty: a victim of his own selfish needs for validation and control, unlike the guy last week who just wanted help and found himself brave enough to help when pressed. This guy lives through a bunch of crazy poo poo and runs from all of it.

On the other hand, he got swept away by the Fringe Science Secret Police and never showed up again, so maybe he ended up an experimental subject for Nina's science dungeon or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really like the teaser in this episode because it really humanizes the victims for us in the audience, so that we see that they're all people with lives and passions and relationships that get snuffed out. I think almost everyone in that diner has a line of dialogue that opens a small view into their world in the moments before that lady explodes and kills them all. And then the next scene after that one is Walter being all irreverent and callous about their corpses and walking over them like they're all nothing, and we don't see any attempts to their families or acknowledge what happened in any way. I thought that was kind of an interesting touch in how it makes the Fringe team look a little lovely in their casual disregard of all the people who die on the show.

I also found the scenes with the exploding woman really uncomfortable for some reason, like moreso than the electric guy or the visions guy. There's just some special horror for me in the idea of somebody dying alone in great pain while fighting really hard to remember who they are and failing while also understanding their situation well enough to be horrified that they can't remember. There's just this futility in it all that makes me really sad. It's like that scene in Deadwood where Powers Boothe mocks Veronica Mars by offering her a knife after he's smashed her skull and she's not able to see it clearly or move fast enough to get it, but she's so messed up she doesn't know and keeps trying with no chance of success (I know this is a weird comparison). And again, it's not really something that the Fringe team engages with at all: they just kind of solve the case and save some people without really seeing any of that or thinking about it, although I guess Olivia gets invested in saving the lady at the end.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You two are versions of each other from a pair of linked universes, aren't you?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are we going to do the one with evil Britta this week? I can't do screen caps right now or else I would. I mostly have a lot of jokes about how that degree in psychology really caused more problems than anybody expected, but also some stuff about what exactly haunts Walter when he sees his put-together self in jail and how it's weird that Walter isn't going nuts about saving a son in danger and separated from his loving father--although I guess that might be tipping some cards early, especially when you consider how long they were going to wait to drop info on the other side and everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

...oh, Britta's in this one?

I completely blanked on this, but yes: The Equation.

Which I like, but I think it's a bit shallow. I don't think that Jacobs gives a very captivating performance as the villain of the week, and some of the stuff in at the mental hospital is a little contrived. But, on the other hand, the stuff with the kid and the music is creepy, and I like the idea of draining intellectuals for their skills.

I've a slight pet peeve with this episode is that it pales in contrast with Millennium's Room With No View, which has a very similar plot. (Both shows had Darin Morgan on staff too, so I wonder if the connection wasn't deliberate in some way?)

RWNV s a loving excellent episode of television, and I recommend anyone who likes Fringe to go track it down.

There's a few things in this episode which gave me pause, most notably the three-second shot of an Evil Walter figure at the hospital. Is this Walter thinking of Walternate, or just something else?

See, I think it's his earlier self, everything he ran away from by staying locked up and having Bell cut out pieces of his brain. The other Walter says "welcome back" like this was a usual thing for Walter, being haunted by his past misdeeds and the horrible guy he used to be. Getting out and doing good with Peter would be relief from the guilt and shame of his former life, which I guess was what kept him from ever trying to get out of St. Claire's. Getting back into that situation brings back all the bad feelings Walter had while he was locked up and powerless to do anything but dwell on how he wrecked up Walternate's life and drove Peter away and killed Elizabeth, just waiting for the other shoe to drop and Walternate to launch some crazy attack on his side.

I think we have to be careful citing evidence from later episodes this early into the run when they're still clearly seeing what works and what doesn't, but we know Walternate wasn't as smart or as arrogant as Walter was, and this Walter in the vision is having a blast loving with Walter--acting I guess like the old Walter would have if he got to take the high ground with somebody else. Also, he's like a more put-together version of Walter: the same cardigan and button-down shirt, just pressed and buttoned. Walternate's big break in figuring out who took Peter was that he would never be caught dead in a brown cardigan. There's no way to know, I guess.

And one other thing I always wondered about : was it the equation that had the power to destroy all those people, or was it all Britta? I ask because that kid was already way obsessed with the equation to an unhealthy degree. Like, he wasn't just noodling around with it, but fixated on it to the point of ignoring everything else. At the time, I thought the equation would have some kind of spooky power like the numbers from Lost, and I thought the one guy shot himself because he couldn't solve it and Britta was just swooping in to stall the process long enough to get the numbers out of them before they popped. That they just go into some portal generator is pretty loving lame, especially considering that it's probably easy as poo poo to just rob the bank and break open some safety deposit boxes while you're in there. Hell, just impersonate the janitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

After Walter crossed the first time it quit working. I guess that was part of the damage he did to the two universes in going from one to the other. Otherwise he would have probably tried to look in on Walternate from time to time instead of just sitting there terrified at the idea that Walternate was probably coming for him.

• Locked thread