Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
New Thread!!

Its also due to this show that it reminded me how awesome David Bowie's Man who sold the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Fringe end up having a good ending or not? I was way into the show, and really looking forward to the time jump in the last season, and then I thought the first few episodes of the season were kinda crappy and just stopped watching. The last episode I watched was either the one where the kill Peter/Olivia's daughter, or the one after that one. I think it was the one after because I remember Peter kidnapping and torturing an Observer and I remember the show being all ~*~*~OMG PETER HAS GONE TOO FAR*~*~*~

Is it worth going back and finishing, or was it crap and I'm better off just reading a synopsis?

Watch the rest

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

grilldos posted:

We need to add a line to the OP after "ending on its own terms" that says "which means the ending is one of the most satisfying finishes a science fiction program has ever dished out" to help our friends with the neat stars next to their names.

Sure did

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

anastazius posted:

I love Fringe SO MUCH and miss pretty much all the characters.

And I wish Walter Bishop was my dad.

If you want to see John Noble killing it you should watch Sleepy Hollow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

Season 1 of Sleepy Hollow had Noble's character in a really fun position and hinted at all sorts of nuance (the sin eating scene from his first episode was really fantastic), but season 2 (as far as I've seen, I'm admittedly way behind) has just had him as cackling villain. While fun, it's kind of a waste.

This is rad though:

He is a bit more than that. He is a guy who has serious parents issues, and still a child emotionally.
It also got us this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8dtjlj-M0

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Antti posted:

So uh what you are telling me is I should watch Sleepy Hollow.

I mean the premise sounds fun enough if the show doesn't take itself too seriously but it's got John Noble in it as a villain?!

Yes it also has the headless horseman with a shotgun and ak 47.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

The fact that nearly everyone dislikes season 4 really bugs me for some reason.
Like yeah yeah, they hit the reset button, what a shame. But in my opinion it made for an interesting, unexpected season, and you got to see new facets of character interaction between the leads.
I guess I just really respect the showrunners for trying something interesting, experimental, and unexpected - which is what I watched Fringe for! - and it seems dumb to me that so many people just dismiss it out of hand.

I'd take a show that is willing to completely change their characters' history to explore a fun sci-fi idea over one that is too afraid to try that any day.

I really liked it as it made the scene between Walternate and Walter possible. The way Walternate was in season 2 and 3 we never would have gotten that amazing amazing scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aexo posted:

Is there going to be a coordinated re-watch? Because I'll stop watching and wait for the thread if so.

Oh dear god this would be a good idea. However, the ones I have done before fell apart. Maybe a week to watch the episode and then discuss instead of watching it all one day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

Walter one-liners

Walter eating
Walter getting Astrid wrong
Gene is in view.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Poor Nina Sharp loses her rad office and robot arm.

She still has the arm

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yes, albeit hidden beneath a glove as a cost-saving measure.

Also it's worth mentioning that they explicitly cast Blair Brown for Nina Sharp because she was in Altered States, which is a rad as gently caress movie.

It was still brought up every now and then and a major plot point at least once. I did a double feature of Altered States and Crash. That was one weird day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, after just seeing the late-series episodes, watching parts from the Dickhead Broyles days just feels weird.

He really changes when the guy that Olivia sent to jail is revealed to be a real piece of poo poo, and Broyles realizes that she is completely on the level.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Yeah I will have my thoughts on the pilot later tonight. It will be interesting to see if I can do it without going into spoiler territory or talking about dropped plotlines.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

What are we going to do about the "lost episode" during the rewatch? Watch it during the middle of season 1, during season 2 where it does not fit, or not at all? I am all for skipping it since it sucks and has no relevance to the story.

Will have thoughts about the first episode in a bit. I forgot how much I love the show, and just the opening theme brings it all back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hard Clumping posted:

Good question. Netflix has it as the last episode of season 1, so maybe then? it doesn't fit anywhere particularly well, it's got such an awkward tone and it's obvious that no one enjoyed doing it (except of course John Noble), but it'd be good for a laugh.

The blu rays just have it as a special feature.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JFC posted:

I can't remember if it was mentioned, but are there times the episode order as aired differs from a "correct" viewing order? Should I just watch them as presented on Amazon Prime/Netflix?

The only one is an episode that aired in season 2 that was filmed during season 1. You will know which one it is, due to a certain character being in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I thought the ending was weird, if the observers never existed, then Peter should have never been saved etc...

The Observers were more like September, as everything needed to happen still in order for the Observers to be created as they did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

My thoughts on the first two episodes.

Walter is great from the very first episode. Lets make some LSD! Not a fan of dick agent Broyles, but I know he gets a lot better. The plots seem a lot out of X-files, but you can see the seeds of the amazing show that it becomes. First hint that something is up with Peter is in episode 2 with him mentioning that Peter was sick as a kid. The mystery of Bell is this presence in these early episodes and you have no idea what to think of him. What is his connection to the pattern, and he seems to have a connection to the cases so far. You also get some evidence that Olivia experience in the first episode will have some repercussion. drat I love this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I think he was sort of morally ambiguous in the same way Walter was in the flashback episodes. Not evil, but not exactly a good man, either.

I would say that his time in Universe B in the original timeline and Walters influence on him made him into a decent man. He was not good, but not a complete douchebag either.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Taffer posted:

While you are right, have you ever interacted with someone who is around death a lot? Like EMT's or hospice nurses or something. They just get callous and indifferent - which is not meant as a jab against them, they have to to stay sane. I had a roommated who worked at a hospice and he made really, really dark jokes about death, but the thing is that he didn't even really see them as dark because that was his every day life.

Yeah they mention this in Homicide life on the killing street. They all have gallows humor since its the only way to survive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

I'm watching my Blu-Rays of the show, so whenever that episode shows up I'll watch it then.

Regarding [bThe Equation[/bThe], while I do think having Walter revisit St. Claire's now is maybe too early in the show's run, having William Sadler show up is always enjoyable. Noble also killed it, which is obviously a given.

Peter saying "It's Middle English for innkeeper" was the most :smug: thing imaginable.

I thought all the wounds on the vision of the dead mother was a nice touch, and then they started to open up when Britta was intimidating the kid :stonk:

If its like my Blu-rays set its on season 2 as a special feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

gently caress RIP Belly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html

• Locked thread