Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
(We're doing a watchthrough! Check our progress at the bottom of this post)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-YyEcIJzpI

Do you enjoy your crazy sci-fi with the important characters developing interpersonally over the course of several seasons until it reaches its apex in a final 13-episode sprint where the creative team got to end it all on their own terms?

Then welcome to the Fringe retrospective thread, A.K.A. "A September To Remember" A.K.A. The Violet Sedan Chair Fan Club

This thread is for new and old watchers and those who may be interested, and though this OP will contain some spoiler-y stuff, let’s be polite to people in the thread who are new to the show and spoiler certain things in discussion, especially if a regular poster is currently working through the show (otherwise known as "Star Trek Thread Rules"). If you love this show as much as I do, you know the spoilers in this show are wild and worth keeping secret.

Though the first sections of this will be generally spoiler-free (although hint-laden), when you see the :siren:s, beware.

--(newbie friendly) Fringe Synopsis--

Fringe is the story of odd science, a no-bullshit female cop with everything to prove and daddy issues, a jack-of-all-trades young man with a questionable past and daddy issues, acid, a one armed lady, music, a cow, a hard-nosed boss who must accept the cow, more acid, baldies with slick fashion sense, a flower with intense emotional symbolism, some more music, the redemption of an old man, and daddy issues. Now multiply that by two and add some more acid and daddy issues and you’ve got yourself a five season emotional rollercoaster with monsters of the week and also it’s sci-fi, did I make that clear. The fun-as-poo poo kind of sci-fi.

--Main Characters--

Olivia Dunham

--

Walter Bishop

--

Phillip Broyles

--

Peter Bishop

--

Astrid Farnsworth, a.k.a. Astral, Asgard, Asterisk, Asteroid, Astringent, Asprin, Astricks, Ashram, Ostrich, Claire, Athos, Alex, Afro, Agnes, Aphed, Abna, Acid, Asset

--

The Observers

--

Agent Gene

--

--Violet Sedan Chair--

Violet Sedan Chair is a fictional band created for the show by J.J. Abrams. Christopher Lloyd played the keyboardist for the band and Walter’s musical hero in the episode, “The Firefly.”

Fringe’s producers including Abrams actually put a band together to write and record Seven Suns, the album mentioned in the show. Snippets can be heard on rare occasions in the show, but i it can be found on Youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_grVlDDGSHg&list=PL2F9DD46F3DBE6176 as well as on Spotify.

Abrams originally spread the album around the country in a limited vinyl pressing. Each vinyl contained a unique pattern on the last track that Abrams hoped fans would piece together to reveal a further clue about the show. It never happened.

(“Violet Sedan Chair” is an anagram for “OLIVE CAN READ THIS”)
(“Violet Sedan Chair Seven Suns” is an anagram for “ONE CHILD CAN SAVE UNIVERSES”)

If you couldn’t tell, this fake band with a full album that barely even fans of the show have listened to is actually a super important thing (along with music in general on this programme) and that’s pretty fuckin’ rad, okay.

:siren::siren:SPOILERS AHEAD:siren::siren::siren::siren:SPOILERS AHEAD:siren::siren::siren::siren:SPOILERS AHEAD:siren::siren::siren::siren:SPOILERS AHEAD:siren::siren:

--Alternate Universes--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbTShv7sBY

Arguably Fringe’s central stunt involved the gradual introduction of a universe parallel to our own, effectively doubling their cast while allowing their existing actors to show some their chops by playing different versions of their characters.

--Fringe Success Stories--

Mr. Snazz posted:

Stood in line to meet Peter Weller today. My fiancee brought a white tulip for him to sign, and it had a big impact on him. I had read about his wife recommending that he take the role, but he offered up more to the story. Apparently they had an extremely similar fight on their way to register, with him leaving the car, etc, so the script really hit home for both of them.

~~Product Placement & Recipes~~

https://www.facebook.com/WalterBishopsCookbook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAjzjia3tL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4fY1_NSxF0

---

Here's a mostly-working youtube playlist of every song Walter Bishop listened to or heard during the course of the show

--

--

:siren:~*~FRINGE WATCHTHROUGH SUNDAY~*~:siren:

A weekly chilled out Fringe watchthrough. Let's dig in.

1x01 - Pilot http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682168&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post438041655
1x02 - The Same Old Story http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682168&pagenumber=4#post438350018
1x03 - The Ghost Network http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682168&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post438648674
1x04 - The Arrival http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682168&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post439043530
1x05 - Power Hungry http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682168&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post439301170

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

howe_sam posted:

Why isn't Gene listed as a character in the OP? She had her own FBI jacket and everything? :colbert:

She was mentioned in the synopsis (written by my good friend grilldos), but I dig your thought process and have added her.

Keep throwing your OP ideas at me, everybody. Wanna make it good.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 18, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and Astrid and Charlie when they had him.

Most get moments in the spotlight eventually, but they're just moments. The show's not really that interested in them, for the most part.

I love the dynamic that Astrid shares with Walter, don't get me wrong. But she never really gets to do very much for herself, outside that one really great Season 4 episode.

I get what you're saying, Astrid was the least explored of the central cast, and there were many dropped plot threads (mostly in season 1), but there may have been less than you think. (<-- spoilers in the link)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did Fringe end up having a good ending or not? I was way into the show, and really looking forward to the time jump in the last season, and then I thought the first few episodes of the season were kinda crappy and just stopped watching. The last episode I watched was either the one where they kill Peter/Olivia's daughter, or the one after that one. I think it was the one after because I remember Peter kidnapping and torturing an Observer and I remember the show being all ~*~*~OMG PETER HAS GONE TOO FAR*~*~*~

Is it worth going back and finishing, or was it crap and I'm better off just reading a synopsis?

Would you mind spoilering that?

Also, you are literally eight episodes from the end - if you got that far, it's really not a big push.

I was also unsure about season 5 when it started airing, but it really picks up momentum towards the end and the last moment of the finale had me grasping for air, thinking "that's it. it's over" in a sad but satisfied voice.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 19, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Jose posted:

Most of the main characters haven't really had anything major since afaik

Which is a crime, especially for Anna Torv who absolutely killed it. My only big complaint about season 5 is that she didn't really have as much to do.

e:

OldSenileGuy posted:

I added tags to my post to appease you babies, even though the OP says this thread is going to be full of spoilers :colbert:

Not really man

Hard Clumping posted:

though this OP will contain some spoiler-y stuff, let’s be polite to people in the thread who are new to the show and spoiler certain things in discussion

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I'm worms, he's arachnids.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Season 1 of Sleepy Hollow had Noble's character in a really fun position and hinted at all sorts of nuance (the sin eating scene from his first episode was really fantastic), but season 2 (as far as I've seen, I'm admittedly way behind) has just had him as cackling villain. While fun, it's kind of a waste.

This is rad though:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Antti posted:

the show doesn't take itself too seriously at all.

Almost right, just took a couple edits and now it is a true statement.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
The week idea is pretty cool; we can go "topic for this week is is S**E**, "[title]"" and we just dissect the gently caress out of that episode and make fun of how wrong the live fan theories were amidst our general discussion. A weekly format would be pretty manageable and I could keep links to posts in the OP.

Who else would be down for this loose casual "watchthrough" thing?

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 21, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Walter one-liners

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Looks like we have some takers. So why not start noooooooooooooow

~*~*WELCOME TO THE FRINGE WATCHTHROUGH*~*~

(This discussion will be self-directed - feel free to post glyphs, observer spottings, and hints at next episodes if you wanna screencap/decipher/look them up on wiki, or write up a big ol synopsis, post some .gifs or behind the scenes trivia, stray thoughts, Whatever! Bonus points if you find old forum posts about people who came up with insane theories as the show was airing)

1x01 - Pilot

If life has taught me anything, it's that if you realize you're on any sort of J.J. Abrams production you should never set a god drat foot on an airplane.

Synopsis: Olive gets Walter out of crazy jail with the help of Peter-With-The-Furrowed-Brow, Broyles is a complete rear end in a top hat this episode and never again, Astrid's Hair hasn't settled (nor has Massive Dynamic/S), and silly old John Scott is so flustered about being found out as a double agent that he trips and spills a whole thing of strawberry jam.

He just spills all his jammy wams and falls asleep! Poor John!

Discuss.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 23, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

What are we going to do about the "lost episode" during the rewatch? Watch it during the middle of season 1, during season 2 where it does not fit, or not at all? I am all for skipping it since it sucks and has no relevance to the story.

Will have thoughts about the first episode in a bit. I forgot how much I love the show, and just the opening theme brings it all back.

Good question. Netflix has it as the last episode of season 1, so maybe then? it doesn't fit anywhere particularly well, it's got such an awkward tone and it's obvious that no one enjoyed doing it (except of course John Noble), but it'd be good for a laugh.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
1x02 - The Same Old Story

✓Boardroom full of old people recapping the plot
✓Some fuckup trying to get women pregnant
✓Second episode's gotta be all sexy
✓Grudge Case
✓Meat Baby

Discuss.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 7, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I stopped watching Fringe somewhere around season 3 or 4 because it felt like they were forgetting plotlines, resetting the show to accomodate new viewers, and generally making poo poo up as they want along.

I've since mellowed a little and no longer necessarily consider those things to be fatal flaws, but the title still has me curious: did the show bring all the bits and pieces it kept dangling together in the end?

Not all, but most. The show was fighting cancellation for five straight years but still managed to have a wild last season that ended on a satisfactory note.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
We have over twenty weeks until this becomes an issue; I'm really not worried about it right now.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
That's on a knead to dough basis.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
1x03 - The Ghost Network

In Which Some Schlub Character Gains The Power To See The Cold Open

"I believe with proper demodulation, you could receive satellite television for free."

THRILL as the show plays with fun ideas new and old, such as: Amber (permanently fatal variant), scrolling through camera footage scene (minor enhancement variant), and Walter's Science Hat (minor brain surgery variant).

As Open Source Idiom has mentioned (in his good writeup posts I hope continue), early Fringe throws a bunch of X-Files spaghetti at the wall. This episode is less heinous than last week's, but the linking of the two main plots is seriously a throwaway line by Charlie. Apparently the Fringe Team keeps a couple priests on retainer just in case a person of interest has a deeply-ingrained sense of obligation towards the church.

This guy's precognition would have better served the show had they waited until near the end of the season, so he could have the room full of cool little models of a bunch of Fringe cases the show actually depicted rather than having a bunch of made up name drops of cases that hold no significance to the audience. I do love the casting they did for this character though - Zak Orth plays the perfect deer-in-headlights lab rat for Walter, and the scene where they turn on the hat has a rad mix of good gags and creepy moments.

Anyway, who's this fella?

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 7, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

bobkatt013 posted:

Universe B

Metal Loaf posted:

red universe

Okay let's do some consistency work here, we all need to start using the same vocabulary. The Curry Shits Universe is where the Twin Towers never fell, their dark knight is Mantis, and Olivia's hair resembles the color of curry shits.

The Maxi Pad Commercial Universe however is the universe we come from, the title sequence for this universe being the color of the liquid which will eventually be used to snuff out my miserable existence.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Do people feel like talking about The Arrival? I wanna talk about The Arrival.

(Hope Hard Clumping 'aint too mad with me for kickstarting this week's episode)

Not at all! Sorry, I had a bad cold kick in on Saturday night and it totally slipped my mind.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
(Been out of town this weekend, hope I'm not pissing anybody off by being late two weeks in a row)

1x05 - Power Hungry

A stereotypical poster at The Something Awful Forums accidentally kills his stalkee but gets kidnapped before he can ask a bunch of internet strangers for pity, and Liv is disappointed to find that her dead bae's secret stash is not of the hooch variety.

After The Arrival, the show dives back into normy-boring territory in terms of the MOTW plot, but yet again Walter is delightful enough to not make you hate yourself the whole time you're watching.

Dis cuss

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 22, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Jack Gladney posted:

I was shocked at what a little poo poo this week's victim was. He killed tons of people and only cared slightly that his crush died, but not that much--and he never really seemed to have been held even slightly responsible. After the charming nerd last week, this guy came off looking really nasty: a victim of his own selfish needs for validation and control, unlike the guy last week who just wanted help and found himself brave enough to help when pressed. This guy lives through a bunch of crazy poo poo and runs from all of it.

On the other hand, he got swept away by the Fringe Science Secret Police and never showed up again, so maybe he ended up an experimental subject for Nina's science dungeon or something.

He just came off like a cartoon, as if whoever wrote him took all the textbook traits of "empathetic vulnerable character who has bad luck" and shoved them in the script without a hint of subtlety. We can't even give the character the benefit of the doubt that it was the experiment he had done on him that made him all whacked out, because in his story to his mom (also a cartoon) he made it clear that he's always had terrible confidence.

Also, his phone apparently only displays that one picture of the girl? Even after he shorts out all the electronics in her office? It's like they just wanted an excuse to have a carrier pigeon sequence or whatever :allears:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Oh, one more comment on The Arrival I forgot to make:

* They loved (AKA, hated) the nostril wires. Lots of cringing from one or two of them.

Pacey was actually hospitalized due to this bit, apparently one of the wires hit a vein in his nose. I doubt it's a television injury he brags about.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
I've got a bunch of bull poo poo irl excuses that no one cares about, so rather than do that I'll just say sorry I've been absent from the thread y'all

Open Source Idiom, you've been rad as hell in this thread and since I never considered myself to be "controlling" anything, I'm cool with whatever as long as the watchthrough continues. My motto is Just Fuckin' Post About Fringe

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Children are ugly as hell y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

sticklefifer posted:

Is this thread going to cover Unearthed? It's pretty much out of canon but I remember when the show was airing they wedged it into season 2 somewhere, even though it was in the season 1 continuity.

Unearthed shows up on Netflix as the last episode of season 1, which is really jarring for newcomers. I have a friend who recently watched the show for the first time and luckily I remembered to warn him, he went back and watched it after he was done and told me "yeah that would have been really awful."

Unearthed's only real use is for when you're *really* fiending for some more Fringe. The episode's just not that great; the main guest actress was woefully inadequate for the role asked of her, and the frustratingly convoluted plot is up there with the worst of Season 1.

However, yet again, who else but John Noble does a lot to save it. He has a short but interesting rant on religion in this episode that I originally thought was retconned later, but then I realized that to Walter, organized religion and God are two entirely different subjects.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread