Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I think it almost got cancelled after season 3, but they managed to luck into a season 4, and then John Noble just sat in a room staring at the FOX producers menacingly until they greenlit season 5.

Wasn't the show constantly in a state of almost being cancelled? I'm amazed it lastest for a couple seasons in the Friday Night Death Slot.

All the complaints about bad acting in the first season are pretty funny once you see a couple of seasons. They all knocked it out of the park, especially Anna Torv and John Noble. How he didn't win a shitload of emmies for playing Walter, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly feel like the odd one out. Season One and Two are amazing, but it starts going downhill the moment Peter comes back and Olivia is switched out.

I thought 3 was fantastic and probably the best season, but the whole timeline shenanigans had me iffy about S4 when it was first airing.

I didn't like the whole "First People" bit of S3 all that much because it felt really cliche, but I like how it ended up playing out in the end.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The weakest part in Fringe is that they always had a shaky landing for wrapping up their story arcs (remember Peter as Observer?). I did like how the series as a whole ended, though.

Normally, I would agree that the ending of the First People thing was an anticlimax, but when you resolve a stock "mysterious precursor race with advanced technology" plot thread with "Nope! Future Walter just dumped a bunch of poo poo in a wormhole!" it's really hard to not like it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I've listened to that Violet Sedan Chair album three times now, and it's going in my regular playlist.

I just realized the one happy part of the new S4 timeline- because Peter died at Reiden lake, he never caught the firefly, so the chain of events leading to the keyboardist's son getting hit by a truck got erased. :unsmith:.

No idea how I didn't realize that when I watched the whole series in like two weeks.

E:And yeah, for an album that was made for a TV series and then wasn't even used that heavily in the one episode it was made for, it's pretty fantastic.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aika posted:

Season 5 was the perfect middle finger to seasons 8 and 9 of the X Files, covering both an alien invasion and a lost child with a lot more sense and pathos than the X Files even attempted.

This is pretty much why I'm glad Fringe always had the cancellation worries- X Files was a great show but it got bloated as hell over 9 seasons. Fringe was going to wait until season 3 to reveal the alternate universe until ratings made them move it up. Weaving it in early really helped the show.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I do think season 4 was the weakest because of the fact that most of the characters were totally reset but I loved season 5 and Letters of Transit.

As much as I didnt like the S4 resets, and found it brought down the whole season for me (Will Olivia and Peter get together for realies again? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK, OR WE SHALL SURELY BE CANCELLED!) it still had two of my top-ten episodes. The ones where A-side lincoln goes to the B-side, and the one where B-side Astrid visits.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

Alternate Astrid was a really good portrayal of an actual autistic person trying to cope with genuine emotional stress rather then just BBT Sheldon beep-boop what are emotions?

It's weird- Alternate Astrid was written as autistic, but the writers didn't know that Jasika Nicole had an autistic sister.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hard Clumping posted:

Which is a crime, especially for Anna Torv who absolutely killed it. My only big complaint about season 5 is that she didn't really have as much to do.

It's really funny when you consider that pretty much every review said she was a terrible actress during the first season. Nope, she was playing Dunham all stiff at the start for a reason. She had really great range.

Hard Clumping posted:

Not really man

I think he's referring to the second post in the thread, which I also thought was the OP until I went to quote you on it. Turns out you and grilldos just have similiar enough avatars it seems that way. Which one of you is the B-version?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
John Noble made Dark Matters worth watching. That man can spin gold from poo poo.

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was in an episode of The Pacific too.

For like three minutes. And that was in 2010, so Fringe was still going at the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

I like to imagine that Dark Matters is a documentary series Walternate hosted after retiring as secretary of defense.

He is still giving lectures in his 90's according to the end of S5...

Which reminds me, I loved how A-side Lincoln Lee seemed like a total wimp and it was a big difference between him and B-side Lincoln. Then, 20 years later, when Olivia crosses over and some observers follow her, he just straight-up wastes the motherfuckers without a moment's doubt. Don't even think he had the special gun or anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did we watch the same ending? It was completely predictable and nothing special at all. It wasn't a bad finale, just not great either.

The part where Peter mouths "I love you, dad" to walter while he walks through the portal was pretty intense. Ditto for Walter's "It's a bueatiful name" bit with Astrid.

But really, the fact it didn't run in a circle, poo poo its pants, and try to ruin the rest of the series puts it above X-Files and Battlestar Galactica. And the fact it actually had an ending instead of "Whoops, we got cancelled!" puts it above Alphas and the like. It's not really a high bar to clear, most sci-fi series have awful finales.

E: Also, the part where the Fringe team goes full on terrorist and uses a bunch of old Fringe events as WMD's was pretty nuts. And also the Osmium bullets, since those were cool.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 21, 2014

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The flipside of this is that season 4's direction was entirely from them trying to reboot the show to appeal to new viewers, which not only did nothing to improve the ratings but pissed off the existing viewers because they more or less nullified the entire run of the show up until that point and made the season's story line a muddled mix of re-used plotlines from earlier seasons and an overarching plot that doesn't really go anywhere.

I agree with that- it would have been cool for a few episodes, like how you can see how hosed up Walter would be without Peter and the like, but once Peter went from the whole weird-ghost thing to a character again it probably should have reverted. I did like how they did the second porcipine-man episode, though, where Peter had half the mystery solved from the get-go and just needed some reminding of other things. Season 4 is better when you know that eventually the old Olivia and Walter come back, but for a show that's built so heavily on its characters, the reset was a really bad choice. It had some pretty cool episode plots, like the Westfield one, or the Lincoln Lee/Austrid ones, but as a part of a whole it... yeah, definite room for improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just finished a rewatch, but gently caress it, I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, after just seeing the late-series episodes, watching parts from the Dickhead Broyles days just feels weird.

• Locked thread