Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I honestly feel like the odd one out. Season One and Two are amazing, but it starts going downhill the moment Peter comes back and Olivia is switched out.

I'm kinda with you there. I enjoyed season 1, thought season 2 was great, and thought season 3 was phenomenal. I honestly thing it's my favorite season of any show, ever. But season 4 and 5 though still being enjoyable were way downhill after S3, and were pretty rocky overall IMO. But I'm glad it got a good wrapped-up ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I just got there last night on my rewatch. The episode following it in the normal order (town full of deformed people) is pretty bad too. The plot is really dumb and contrived and so is the fringy-pseduoscience aspect, and the episode has no important overall plot points in it, or particularly good character moments. It's worth skipping too, imo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Keep doing these! I'm really enjoying hearing both the audience reaction from first time viewers as well as your detailed breakdown. Your analysis puts a finger on a lot of things I feel about certain episodes but can't pin down, especially with the underlying themes in the storytelling.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

And she remains this way for the entire series. I've no idea why she was even in the future series, or the alternative reality. She's such a nothing character.

She was a good character, but like many things in Fringe, she didn't have enough airtime and was usually eclipsed for unimportant fringe thing of the week. She could have been good but as it was she was basically the "go get/do something so an important character doesn't have to" person. Which was a shame because I really liked her. The few moments when she actually got screentime that wasn't "yeah I'll go shopping!" were usually really good.

...Which sadly describes a lot of Fringe. It's a half-good half-bad show. So many things are done well. The incredible characters of Olivia and Walter and their even more impressive acting performances as the various versions of themselves, the amazing portrayal of the two universes, the whole mythology/backstory., the unsettling nature of a lot of the fringe events, etc. Then there's the things that... are not done well. Peter was really boring even though he was basically the linchpin of the plot, especially in later seasons, the episodic nature of a huge portion of the show was laborious and far far too long, the season 4 reset and the season 5 tone shift were jarring and very questionable, Astrid and Broyles didn't get enough screentime even though they were good characters, Nina was a very flat character even though she was really important to the backstory... I could go on.

I love Fringe in a lot of ways but man it is a frustrating show with all its shortcomings.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I thought that was kind of an interesting touch in how it makes the Fringe team look a little lovely in their casual disregard of all the people who die on the show.

While you are right, have you ever interacted with someone who is around death a lot? Like EMT's or hospice nurses or something. They just get callous and indifferent - which is not meant as a jab against them, they have to to stay sane. I had a roommated who worked at a hospice and he made really, really dark jokes about death, but the thing is that he didn't even really see them as dark because that was his every day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Even though ZFT fizzled out, Jones was absolutely my favorite villain character in the show. I wish his real goal had ended up being something more.... Substantial.

• Locked thread