Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Why isn't Gene listed as a character in the OP? She had her own FBI jacket and everything? :colbert:

Fringe was such an amazing show. Absolutely one of my all time favorites.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

...and John Noble. How he didn't win a shitload of emmies for playing Walter, I have no idea.

Unfortunately Best Supporting Actor is a loaded category. Noble just had the bad luck of trying to compete with Aaron Paul and Peter Dinklage. That he never even got nominated is the worst crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hard Clumping posted:

She was mentioned in the synopsis (written by my good friend grilldos), but I dig your thought process and have added her.

That was perfect, thank-you.

I know Letters of Transit setup the world of season five, but it still felt like it came out of nowhere. That being said, the finale was about as perfect as you could hope for, even if what actually happened makes no goddamn sense.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My only problem with the First People was how offhand the resolution was, kind of like the explanation for the mystery of Sam Weiss.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

In the season 2 premiere not only is there a reference to a previous "X designation" of Fringe cases during Broyles's congressional hearing, but they actually show a clip from an X-Files episode on a tv in the background of a scene.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Anna Torv deserves way more work than she's gotten post Fringe. Which has been, nothing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

Sleepy Hollow is awesome, and John Noble is awesome, but he deserves a much better show. He's just above and beyond any one else in that show, and he's kind of wasted on it.

That would be true of just about any project John Noble gets involved with.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Walter and Belly having invented something preposterous in the 70's and 80's.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm kind of glad they ditched the Pattern Committee so quickly, it felt very X-Files, and besides Fringe wasn't about grand conspiracies.

I forgot this was the second episode, and I especially forgot about Olivia's nightmare when she's at Massive Dynamic :stare:

I didn't like how they had to tie it into an unsolved case from Olivia's past, that felt entirely too pat, especially since it also involved Walter's old research.

All the parts don't quite fit together, poor Loraine is completely extraneous to the plot, but it's still a good second episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I feel like Walter self-medicating with drugs he cooked up in the lab, and the recommending that the Schlub start taking drugs really helped set the tone for the character.

Nina continues to be a character with her own agenda, but since I'm guessing all of her actions this season are under the direction of William Bell that's understandable. Though for the life of me I can't remember if any of Nina's shenanigans lead to anything

I wonder if the concept of data discs implanted in enemy sleeper agents will come back up again?

If the Ghost Network was so untraceable why was ZFT(is it ZFT at this point?) speaking in Latin?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

On the other hand, I certainly enjoyed the dynamics the show is establishing here. Strange to think there was a time when Nina and Broyles shared a close relationship

Though not as close as they get later on :pervert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do people feel like talking about The Arrival? I wanna talk about The Arrival.

(Hope Hard Clumping 'aint too mad with me for kickstarting this week's episode)

Those Oxford shirts are a really good look for Olivia :swoon:

Astros (my autocorrect was apparently created by Walter Bishop) being ticked off at Walter at the end of the episode broke my heart.

Peter being "gently caress ya'll I'm out" was a dumb plot line because of course he's not.

The thug searching out Olivia's mentor after finding the warehouse empty was a strange bit of coincidence that the episode didn't explain very well at all. But his torture gizmo was suitably Fringe. He was ZFT right?

What was not dumb was Walter. The Arrival was a great showpiece for his range. Though a lot of it is just a put on as he tries to protect the Macguffin of the Week.

This was a solid episode that moves forward the show's mythology in a big way.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hard Clumping posted:

He just came off like a cartoon, as if whoever wrote him took all the textbook traits of "empathetic vulnerable character who has bad luck" and shoved them in the script without a hint of subtlety.
His name is literally meager. They were not going for subtle. Then again he never really abused his powers either.

quote:

Also, his phone apparently only displays that one picture of the girl?
He had multiple pictures of her on his phone. Either way, I would never want to give up the scene with the pigeons and tesla coils :science:

Watching the episode again I was convinced Meagher was going to be a Cortexiphan subject but I guess they were holding off on introducing that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Other than the villain of the story being actually villainous, and not an out of control mad scientist, The Cure is quite possibly the most generic episode of Fringe ever. I also really enjoyed it because Walter is just fantastic, and the cold open is just :stare:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

And of course in the very next episode Peter chews out Walter for caring more about the existence of the (very bad CGI) parasite than the fact that it's killing the FBI agent.

And the corpse of the dead woman in The Cure might be one of the most gruesome props ever used on the show, having just a bit of her lower jaw still attached with a couple of teeth was far more disturbing than a neatly decapitated head.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Taffer posted:

Even though ZFT fizzled out, Jones was absolutely my favorite villain character in the show. I wish his real goal had ended up being something more.... Substantial.

Walternate was the best villain. Sure he was redeemed/softened towards the end, but he was willing to burn an entire universe to save his, and potentially sacrifice his grandson (who he had already performed crazy science on) to do it.

In Which We Meet Mr. Jones is a fun episode, aside from the incredibly dodgy CG they used for the parasite. The FBI guy dosing himself with a killer parasite in order to let his wife overhear the special information is a bit of crazy overly elaborate planning that could've gone sideways in a hurry. Also, anytime Walter communes with the dead is a good time. The Notorious DRJ suitably Lector'ish. One thing I'm not quite sure about though is was Olivia's buddy German or American?

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm watching my Blu-Rays of the show, so whenever that episode shows up I'll watch it then.

Regarding The Equation, while I do think having Walter revisit St. Claire's now is maybe too early in the show's run, having William Sadler show up is always enjoyable. Noble also killed it, which is obviously a given.

Peter saying "It's Middle English for innkeeper" was the most :smug: thing imaginable.

I thought all the wounds on the vision of the dead mother was a nice touch, and then they started to open up when Britta was intimidating the kid :stonk:

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread