Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Ghosting and hacking with a group of people on Garry's Mod made for great games of DarkRP and Trouble in Terrorist Town. It was all about pushing people to the edge without them knowing what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats ghosting?

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Back when DayZ was a new thing, tons of people were hacking it. It mostly worked by forcing the Arma 2 scripting engine to run scripts it shouldn't have, to give the hacker items, or teleport them, or kill other players on the server and reset their progress.

The first thing a hacker had to do was run a script that blocked scripts that targeted himself (I don't remember the particular reason for this). Since a side effect of that was that hackers weren't affected by other hackers, and dying sucked and meant losing your hard won Lee Enfield, I hatched the genius plan of running that script and no others.

I was finally free to play my zombie survival game in peace, and just smirk quietly to myself when a hacker logged on, warped all the other legit players to a corner of the map, and executed them one by one. They lost all their progress, and my collection of Mountain Dew was safe. Then the server admins logged on, ran a script that booted everyone, and announced to the players remaining (hackers + me), that since we had the script that protected us, we were clearly hacking.

I was halfway through typing out my defense when I got an IP ban and gave up playing DayZ because it sucked anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats great and terrible. how much time did you get to play before the admins caught on?

Im not familiar with day z, was that a dedicated server or did you just get banned from your fav private one?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

whats ghosting?

It's the practise of using information you shouldn't have to affect a game in progress. Most commonly with a few guys on voice chat, when someone dies (in a game where you spectate after death), they'll tell their buddies where everyone is and what they're doing. I've also heard the term used for watching someone's stream while playing against them, though that's more commonly referred to as stream-sniping.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ghosting is also common in Dota-likes and RTS games where they would overlay the streamer's maps over their own, giving them greater information on enemy movement. To combat this streamers would either delay their stream by some arbitrary number of minutes so that information would be too stale, particularly for quick-paced games, or overlay a static image of their own.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Day Z is a fun example of when an idiot trys to stop hackers.

Like most of the efforts to stop someone hacking, it affects players who do not hack more than it does the hackers.

So Day Z was written for Arma which had a system called battleye that would ban you from any arma server. Since Arma is a poo poo simulator, it didn't sell much. When Rocket made Day Z, arma was selling like hot cakes. It sold so well that the arma devs gave rocket the power to ban people via battleye.

So rocket did the following

Introduced a script that would battleye ban anyone that spawned in a vehicle that wasn't supposed to be on that map
It did not ban the person who spawned it
It only banned the person who got into it
It did not work on vehicles that were supposed to be on that map

Introduced a script to catch people if they were moving too fast
It was a few nested if else statements
the first if was checking if you were moving faster than 0
This means if you were moving at all, it wouldn't check to see if you were moving too fast

Introduced a script for a modified UI
if you had any legit mods, you would be banned from battleye

He changed this over time and never admitted to making a mistake. Several people I know who did not hack did get hit by this.

Hackers on the other hand had no issues avoiding all of this. Arma gave every client admin control over the server because it was never meant to be a video game.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

If anyone has any questions about what cheats exist for which games, please ask away. If you thought you saw someone hacking but werent sure if a hack like that even exists, ask away.

I'll be adding to the OP about cheating in single player games next

I've seen videos of some hacks (ps2 for instance) and the aimbot ones always seem to be spastic when they do stuff like holding on heads. Is that just a side effect of something or is it something actually put in intentionally? Hacks seem like they should be easier for client side games like planetside, but what exactly are they spoofing for stuff like call of duty or blacklight where its server side?

Third World Reggin posted:

Introduced a script to catch people if they were moving too fast
It was a few nested if else statements
the first if was checking if you were moving faster than 0
This means if you were moving at all, it wouldn't check to see if you were moving too fast

He changed this over time and never admitted to making a mistake. Several people I know who did not hack did get hit by this.

Hackers on the other hand had no issues avoiding all of this. Arma gave every client admin control over the server because it was never meant to be a video game.

The best/worst example of all this (after the "get in vehicle, get banned, get near helicopters, get banned" stuff) was driving around and gaining some lateral movement. Arma gets weird and has desync issues in general in vehicles in dayz so you see your vehicle driving into the ocean or buildings or whatever. In the second attempt at stopping speedhacking, merely turning and doing little drifts would cause passengers to get kicked and banned from servers for triggering some script to do with it. Some got server bans, some got battleeye bans and we still had no idea what the hell was the difference. Appealing with the script ID in your description just got your thread locked with some c+p about hackers not getting appeals.

That was the end of the goon bangbus shenanigans.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

thats great and terrible. how much time did you get to play before the admins caught on?

Im not familiar with day z, was that a dedicated server or did you just get banned from your fav private one?

Just my favourite private server. I played like this for a day or two, but it was during the worst times of DayZ hacking where everyone was just hopping servers every ten minutes to get away from them. I never played with a group or had a stash worth speaking of, I'd just snipe bandits from the outskirts with a Lee Enfield.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is in the OP now

Cheating in single player games

One of the easiest tools for doing this is called Cheat Engine
Get it here http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php

To use it, start up the game. In this example ill be playing borderlands the pre-sequel

Once you are in game start up Cheat Engine

Select File > Open process

It will display a list of currently open processes like this

Select the game you are playing (borderlands)

Now its set to edit the values in the game, let's do my money

As you can see my $ is currently at 248. Using cheat engine we are going to see where in the game the $ value is stored so we can change it to anything we want.

First is to input the current value (248) into the "value" field like so and the hit First Scan

you will get a list off all the things in the game currently showing a value of 248, not so helpful with this many possibilities

Lets see about shortening that list

We need to change our $ value in game so I'll buy something cheap and put it down to 222

Take that 222 and input to Cheat engine and hit Next Scan

Much better, only 2 possible addresses this time.

Ill repeat the process until it the amount of addresses stop going down and all thats left are the ones where my $ is stored.

right-click the value right next to the addresses you found and select "Change value of selected addresses" and put in the amount you want. I did 100,000

Now in game I have $100,000

you can do things like god mode and infinite ammo very easily in the same way.

Its very simple and can be done with just about every game and even some poorly coded multiplayer games

If you are real lazy you can download files where someone has found all the values for you called Cheat Tables. They can be found in Cheat Engine's forums
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=546205a33ef7f66f75290bc11a675fa6

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 21, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

You're doing God's work, Fauxtool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Cheat Engine even has a handy tutorial for more advanced things. It's pretty awesome.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

DayZ server admins in the mod had a pretty large amount of control over their servers since you could run custom server side versions of the mod. It was pretty fun when we figured out how to just have every vehicle automatically fixed by the server except for having no gas. It did has the slight side effect of making it so that if you left a vehicle for 10 seconds any damage would be fixed as well.

Rocket, in his infinite wisdom, turned off all logging functions in the middle of the giant hacker wave that was hitting the game at the time, so you couldn't even figure out who was hacking. The goon servers had to run a custom script to turn all the logging functions back on, as well as disable things that were broken (barbed wire had a rendering bug for literally 6 months that caused large parts of the map to be impossible to navigate so we simply prevented them from being loaded by the game after a reset.)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fauxtool posted:

If anyone has any questions about what cheats exist for which games, please ask away. If you thought you saw someone hacking but werent sure if a hack like that even exists, ask away.

I had asked earlier but nobody replied to it. What's the state of hacking in Maple Story and other Nexon games these days? It was already talked about how it go so bad they needed to shutdown DFO but I wanna know what's up with their other titles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tracula posted:

I had asked earlier but nobody replied to it. What's the state of hacking in Maple Story and other Nexon games these days? It was already talked about how it go so bad they needed to shutdown DFO but I wanna know what's up with their other titles.

The game was vulnerable to many of the same hacks. You could generate any of the in game resources you want in any quantity. This was circa 2012, I dont know what may have changed since then.

In other Nexon games like the FPS's there are speedhacks, esp, and aimbot like any other FPS. That kind of thing usually isnt detected the same as cheat that edit your character stats. They would have to resort to GM reviews and taking screenshots of the game. If the hack is any good and it renders the esp as an overlay it wouldnt even get caught in the screenshots.

The f2p games are usually very weak to cheating since they share the same few anti cheat programs. Once you get past it for one game, you can cheat with all their other games. DFO was one of the games that cheatengine worked on. You would edit one value at a time and then relog to make sure it saved. If you try and edit too many things in one login then you could crash and possibly get flagged for GM review. Its pretty sad

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 21, 2014

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Right now on aimjunkies there are over 50,000 premium members registered. Those are people paying $9-$25 monthly. Its serious business. This one was just released for LoL. Aint no one gonna write that kind of code for free.

Orbwalking

Lane freeze mode: automatically last hit any minions, while ignoring enemy champions
Mixed mode: same as lane freeze, but will poke any enemy champions that come in range
Lane clear mode: pushes the lane by last hitting minions but also continuously attacks
Carry mode: used for fights against enemy champions, will auto attack and execute combo on best target(s)
Keys: set different toggle keys for each mode
Customizable: implement your own combo for each champion via Lua scripting
Callbacks: implement your own callbacks for each stage of the orbwalking logic via Lua scripting

Autocaster

Auto ignite: uses ignite on any enemy champions that are low enough to be killed by it
Auto smite: uses smite on jungle monsters, you can filter which ones you want to smite in the menu
Auto heal: uses heal spell when you reach a percentage of health specified in the menu
Auto barrier: uses barrier spell when you reach a percentage of health specified in the menu
Auto clarity: uses clarity spell when you reach a percentage of mana specified in the menu
Auto potions: uses health / mana potions when you reach a percentage of health / mana specified in the menu
Keys: set different toggle keys for ignite and smite

Scripting

Lua: access to engine API to write custom features via Lua scripting
Manager: ability to manage all your scripts from the menu by seeing what scripts are available, loading new scripts, unloading running scripts, and more
Callbacks: implement an array of callbacks such as OnProcessSpell, OnSendPacket, OnReceivePacket, OnGameUpdate, and more

Upcoming Features

Auto evade: automatically avoid enemy skill shots if possible
Collision: visibility checks for proper skill shot logic and similar things
Awareness: show all enemy champion ranges and cooldowns, warn you when someone is trying to gank, and more

There's actually a free scripting program out right now that does all of this. Google Leaguesharp

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Howdges posted:

There's actually a free scripting program out right now that does all of this. Google Leaguesharp

There is, but don't expect it to stay updated or have any anti cheat features. Free is always great though!

Until RIOT gets on it, its a great alternative to paid tools

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 21, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fauxtool posted:

Do you have any idea how long changing the loot tables in Borderlands 2 with Cheat Engine lasts after you close Cheat Engine? It seems to last until I quit the game but I'm not sure and the game doesn't run very well for me with Cheat Engine left open.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat posted:

Do you have any idea how long changing the loot tables in Borderlands 2 with Cheat Engine lasts after you close Cheat Engine? It seems to last until I quit the game but I'm not sure and the game doesn't run very well for me with Cheat Engine left open.

until you close or load a new save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I botted eve online for 2-3 months. Made about a billion isk a day running 6 bots. Sold the extra ISK on the side until the middle man who bought and resold ISK from goons got us all banned. Made around 1200 bucks and got to fly some super expensive ships. It was a good time and I would do it again if I could get away with it (minus the RMT part).

• Locked thread