Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Zurui posted:

Because of the alien nature of adults in this game, likely not.

Alright, gonna make a Minotaur jock since Vampire and Gorgon were taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Zurui posted:

Holy sssssssssssssschneikes, I didn't expect this level of interest for an angsty game about being a teenager.

MH recruits are really popular for some reason. I wouldn't recommend a cast larger than six, though.

I might submit a thing by Friday, is a Cuckoo from Second Skins okay? On second thought, never mind.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 19, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Forums Terrorist posted:

Alright, gonna make a Minotaur jock since Vampire and Gorgon were taken.

From the review of Skins for the Skinless over in the FATAL and Friends thread, I would be very surprised if Minotaur actually functioned properly.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Zurui posted:

Which Loa/Saint did your Granny serve? Are you still loyal to it?

When you bound your first target, what went wrong?

What does the Wisconsin accent sound like to you?

Well Granny always kept that picture on the wall. Looked like the Virgin Mary, but I ain't seen one since that was black. And I drat sure haven't seen one with a knife like that and a face covered in scars. She told me it was Erzulie Dantor lookin' out for us and keepin' us out of trouble. All I knew was once a month the whole house smelled like fryin' pork and hard liquor, and if I touched it Granny would beat my rear end so hard I couldn't sit right. After Granny died, I still made the griot and put out the liquor for a bit, but Erzulie never even looked my way. Guess she's only in it for ladies. So I dug my way through Granny's stuff 'til I found a name I liked. I got myself some rum, emptied a shotgun shell into it and set it on fire. I tell you what, I about poo poo my pants when the man in the red top hat stepped out of the shadows. He called himself Carrefour, said he was the guard of the crossroads. I decided that suited me just fine and I been using him and he been using me ever since.

Goddamn that was a rush. Check it out, I got fuckin' goosebumps and its not even cold in here. See, I had a friend back in Louisiana, this little punk chick named Anna. Anna was great, good sense of humor, could play a guitar like Johnny Ramone. But Anna's boyfriend, Remy? Now he was a real piece of work. So one day I'm headed to The Pit, this little place that's pretty lax with IDs and I see her there. She's cryin', smeared makeup, red eyes, the whole thing. Told me she came for a show and Remy didn't much like it, so he dragged her out by her hair and then stormed off when she wouldn't come with him. I was fuckin' pissed. Now I coulda gone all macho with him, but I decided, for Anna's sake, to just make sure he never did it again. So I laid a hex on him. Like I said, it was a rush. I felt higher than a goddamn kite, 'til suddenly Remy got sick, like real sick. Yeah, he couldn't hurt Anna anymore, because he barely had the strength to stand. Anna just stayed by his bedside, barely came out anymore. I could drat near see Carrefour smilin' behind me, but that might have just been the rum and gunpowder.

You ever had somethin' stuck in the back of your throat you couldn't get rid of? Like you're sick with a cold, its starting to go away, but you still can't breathe without that little fuckin' tickle back there, so you don't actually breathe in case the coughing starts? Take that, and add a giant midwestern stick up your rear end, like you've never eaten anything spicier than goddamn ranch dressing in your life and you pop wood when you see a cornfield.

Got that?

Now say 'Oh crap'.

Yep, perfect.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

inklesspen posted:

From the review of Skins for the Skinless over in the FATAL and Friends thread, I would be very surprised if Minotaur actually functioned properly.

ISTR Minotaur being one of the few good ones.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Zurui posted:

How do you lose your eyepatch so often?

Why does your friend want you to make other friends?

What memento do you keep with you that reminds you of your parents?

Well, my friend is a little weird about it. She wants me to keep it off when I talk to her. I guess she finds it easier to talk with me that way. Kind of weird. She has an interest in Catholicism, and is hoping to meet some kids who have had to deal with the religion their whole life.

I have this old picture of me when I was a kid with my parents. I like to look at it every once in a while.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Zurui posted:

What's your favorite part of scaring the poo poo out of someone?

That moment they give up. You can see it...and it kind of tastes like licorice. Everybody's got that conflict, right? They talked about it in bio, fight or flight. Do I fight or do I run? There's a third choice, though...

Jake Iverson was giving me poo poo a while back. 'Cause, you know, I guess I'm one of the 'artsy' kids and so of course I must have been the one who snagged his weed. As if, he smokes poo poo. Can't reason with a brick wall. So he caught me in a back hall and slammed me and he's clearly getting ready to rough me up. Fight, right? I just looked at him. I look at him as hard as I could. (Sounds stupid to say aloud now...). He knew something was wrong. I could hear it. I could hear his bones cracking, things hardening inside him. He flipped right there, from fight to flight. He wanted to run, but he couldn't. And then he flipped to that third choice. Happens when you're so terrified, your brain's just like 'gently caress this, I'm out'. Surrender. He gave up.

Delicious.

Zurui posted:

What do you almost always wear that's out of uniform?

So I know I can't get away with fishnets, but the dress code allows for tights - come on, it's Wisconsin - and I usually stretch that part of the code and do solid thigh-highs. Which aren't allowed, but you can only tell if you're looking closely. Nice to thumb my nose at the rules, and makes me feel kinda...sexy?

I know, I know, careful what I wish for

Zurui posted:

When was the first time you felt like you weren't popular enough?

Middle school, obviously. Oh, you've never been a middle school girl? Lucky you. It's that super lovely time when you stop being kids and become boys and girls. When boys look at girls, and you can tell who's getting looked at more. When your best friend becomes some statuesque, racktastic goddess and you're...not. Remember how I mentioned those 'sympathy' invites? Yeah, Judy was a big part of it. Lingering loyalty, I guess. What really hammered it home was that freshman year party. Not really homecoming, 'cause it wasn't a school thing, but like a 'welcome back' party. It was at Russ Overton's house, which is pretty swank, and of course Judy got an invite. I heard all the buzz and I hadn't gotten an invite and so of course I was sort of bummed and she was my friend so I was bitch at her about it. Ugh, that look of guilt on her face.
We don't hang out anymore.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The following people need to post a Tell and their characters are complete: Inklesspen, SuddenConsequences, Ferrisol, Fausts Pen, Mr Tastee, Platonic Solid

These people need a complete character sheet and a Tell: Halloween Jack, frankenfreak, slyding door (Please post a full sheet. It'll make everything easier to keep track of.)

Jolinaxas and Clipperton need to answer questions and write a Tell.

walruscat needs a complete sheet, questions, and a tell.

Green Bean doesn't have to do anything; I just didn't want to leave him out.

Don't take any of this as nagging. There's no looming deadline. I just wanted to let everyone know where they stood so there's no confusion. If I didn't notice something or you have any questions, let me know :)

Zurui fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 19, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Double post.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 19, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

quote:

Why doesn't River's father approve of him?

Jealousy. He knows he is not my father. I've heard him and my mom fighting about it where they thought I wouldn't hear. It makes sense. I had to get my charm from somewhere. And it sure as hell didn't come from a hack like him.

Sure, he makes a good living, but he paints portraits of pets. He's got no vision. My mom though, she's got it. He says she wasn't poo poo before she met her muse. Used to just be another hack. I don't know if he's more jealous that she cheated on him or that she's a better artist than him.

quote:

Why did your sister have to go away for a while?

Willow could never keep a promise to save her life. She tattled on me, wouldn't give me what she promised and thought it was funny too. I love her but it drove me mad. It just wasn't right.

I think she finally learned after she fell off the balcony. I hated to see her get hurt but it helped set things right. I visited her in the hospital but she wouldn't talk to me. When she came back home she'd just hide in her room no matter what I did to be nice to her.

After a while my parents sent her to live with our grandma for a while. I'm glad she's back with us now in Green Bay.

quote:

Why do promises hold more weight in the winter?

Winter is the harshest season. It's when you pay for the your mistakes in the seasons of plenty. It's the season of greatest need, when an exchange of a favor for a promise carries the greatest weight. It's why fae born in the winter are so cruel. It's a good thing River was born in the spring.

Edit: updated my initial submission with character sheet and clarified his tell.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 19, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Zurui posted:

The following people need to post a Tell and their characters are complete: Inklesspen, SuddenConsequences, Ferrisol, Fausts Pen, Mr Tastee, Platonic Solid

What? Its just just a bag. It was a gift from Granny. No, she's dead. And what the hell are you doin' looking through my poo poo anyway?

He usually keeps it in his backpack at school, but its not much one for staying where its put sometimes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Coppelia Barnes, the Hollow

Zurui posted:

What was so grotesque about the way your maker died?

His eyes were gone. Just plucked clean out, and nowhere to be found. And he had no blood in him, none at all. Of course, neither do I, so I didn't think that strange at first. It wasn't until he was long buried and I was working my way through a medical encyclopedia that it occurred to me to wonder where all his blood had gone. By that time it was too late to dig him up and examine him properly.

quote:

Do you have a soul? Do you dream?

I don't sleep. I just slump in my rocking chair motionless all night, to conserve my mainspring. But while I'm sitting there, weird thoughts flit through my head, so I guess you could call those dreams. I dream of the workshop I woke up in, only it's full of other dolls like me. I don't know if that's a memory or just my imagination.

As for a soul--I can take my face off, did you know that? Just slip it off like a mask. I can look in the mirror and see what's behind it, all the tiny gears and springs ticking away. How could that possibly have a soul? Where is there room for a soul, in all that cold machinery?

quote:

Why are you ashamed of what you do for money?

You'd think five thousand dollars would go a fair way, particularly when you don't need to eat or drink or heat your house, but I still have bills to pay. I was able to convince the St Wendy's computer I had a scholarship, but I still need books, and clothes, and bus fare. Also if I'm going to pass as a teenager in 2014 I need to do research, and a mildewed copy of Anne of Green Gables is not going to cut it, so a computer and Internet access are a must (satellite internet, the house is way the hell out in the woods). (I still always gently caress up the clothes and the slang though).

So I dance for money. Well. I'm a camgirl. (Just dancing, no gross stuff, jeez.) Over a crappy webcam I don't even look that unnatural--the only thing obviously wrong with me is the keyhole in a brass plate just above my left breast, but a flesh toned bandaid takes care of that.

Going into it, I thought I'd feel more, I don't know, flesh-and-blood. After all, you don't get much more fleshy than the desires of my audience. But gyrating in front of that little green dot on the webcam, I feel more like a doll than ever. I'm terrified of someone at school finding out, so I wear a doll mask--the redundancy is amusing, I guess.

Zurui posted:

Coppelia's Tell is with her stats: "Coppelia’s skin is cool and hard to the touch, closer to porcelain than human flesh. It cracks like porcelain too, and she doesn’t bleed. She can’t eat, either. Oh, and she has to wind herself for five minutes daily, and only with the key she carries around her neck."

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 19, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Added the tell to Amy's sheet, and also fixed her stats - realized I hadn't added 1 to her base as directed.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Zurui posted:

These people need a complete character sheet and a Tell: Halloween Jack, frankenfreak, slyding door (Please post a full sheet. It'll make everything easier to keep track of.)

walruscat needs a complete sheet, questions, and a tell.

Green Bean doesn't have to do anything; I just didn't want to leave him out.

Don't take any of this as nagging. There's no looming deadline. I just wanted to let everyone know where they stood so there's no confusion. If I didn't notice something or you have any questions, let me know :)

Whoops, knew I forgot something. Edited the tell in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

Ruby the Ghoul

Look: Striking. Hungry eyes. Resurrected.

Tell: Surgical scars. Maroon pinpoints in her pupils. Bruises under her nails.

Stats: Hot 0, Cold 2, Volatile 1, Dark -1

Harm:
Experience:
Strings:

Ghoul Moves

The Hunger: You have a Hunger for inflicting pain and suffering. When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Watchful Golem: When you defend someone without them ever knowing about it, mark experience.

Ending: You remember how you died. When you tell someone about it, give them the Condition morbid, and roll to turn them on.

Your Backstory: Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings. Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self: You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Edit:

Advance +1 to Hot

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 9, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Zurui posted:

Was kind of unsure how to explain this, but under the eyepatch is a pure black eyeball.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Halloween Jack posted:

(A quick note: if you explicitly want a less violent game, a hunger for fear also works...and likely wouldn't change Ruby's behaviour.)

How about we go for a hybrid and say her hunger is physical pain (as in, inflicting)? I think that's more suggestive than flesh and less ambiguous than fear.

Also, I am taking your tell as the surgical scars, so long as they are significant and unnatural-looking. (They can be in places you can cover up.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only good think about living in this lovely frozen wasteland is that no one even asks why I wear baselayers in phys ed. Phys ed. It's what we call "gym" in civilization.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The only good think about living in this lovely frozen wasteland is that no one even asks why I wear baselayers in phys ed. Phys ed. It's what we call "gym" in civilization.

You call this 'civilization'?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Zurui posted:

Tell: a lock of his hair is ultra pale around the full moon, and ultra dark around the new moon. and people think he keeps dying it or something, but no.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 19, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Zurui posted:

The following people need to post a Tell and their characters are complete: Ferrisol,

It's Ferrosol. :)

Tell:

Cassandra "Cassie" Peterson

I wanted to get a pet black cat I mean broomsticks are kinda lame these days but what witch would be without her cool cat. But according to Dad certain animals freak around an active practitioner. Cats are one of them apparently because when we went to the animal shelter one of them tried to claw Mom's face off. Guess we can write off the animal familiar thing as a Hollywood myth. Pity it'd have been cool to have a black cat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

You call this 'civilization'?
This place? Hell no. Maybe if we could replace the nuns with penguins it would make a decent wildlife preserve.

Ferrosol posted:

Pity it'd have been cool to have a black cat.
Seriously. So hungry.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

This place? Hell no. Maybe if we could replace the nuns with penguins it would make a decent wildlife preserve.

Ding. Halloween costume.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

quote:

When you browse for books, do you close your eyes and run your fingers over the spines and covers or look and only touch when you're ready?

You don't just touch them. Especially when you're in a proper bookstore. Even if you clean and scrub your hands constantly, a single touch can ruin delicate paper, smudge ink - especially vellum. See, the ink doesn't really soak into vellum, more like it sits on... anyway, no. You touch the book when it's yours. No sooner.

quote:

When did you first realize your parents had abandoned you?

I mentioned those other schools earlier, yes? Well, one of the entrance essays mentioned interviewing one of your parents about their high school experience. Well, Father wouldn't even bother to answer the texts I sent since the essay wasn't for this damned school. I figured that Mother would oblige, but she insisted that there was an important product launch. Too important, it seems, to spare the -half hour- or so required. She told me to interview Gabriela, the maid. Who, I found out, never went to high school...

quote:

Why are you averse to physical contact?

It's not that I'm averse to it. It's just... I'm not really used to it. We move around a lot. I don't really keep any particularly intense friendships. My family itself - well, to say that we keep each other at arm's length is an understatement. But some people seem so eager to put themselves into your personal space. It's a little unsettling.

quote:

Tell.

Hrm. Not sure if this is enough, but would it make sense that her breath sort of "smokes" when she's angry? You know, fire-breathing dragon and all that.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jolinaxas posted:

Hrm. Not sure if this is enough, but would it make sense that her breath sort of "smokes" when she's angry? You know, fire-breathing dragon and all that.

Make it that her breath turns to smoke whenever she experiences an extremely strong emotion (anger, fear, sadness, arousal) and you've got a deal.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Hmmmm, playing around with ideas, trying to find one that appeals. Question, what's your take on a Mortal skin?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Shawn Connor

What are you looking at? Got something to say to my face? Yeah, thought not.

My mom dragged us out here to bumfuck nowhere because my dad's a contractor and he got a job here, and she wanted us to ~be a family~ for once. Joke's on her, he got another contract in Arizona after 6 months and we couldn't afford another move. Anyway, I got sent to St. Wendy's because my dad wanted me to get in touch with my heritage or something and he thought making me reenact his days with the Christian Brothers was a good idea. rear end in a top hat.

I'm okay at school, I guess. I joined the basketball team, and I'm pretty good at it. Some of the guys gave me weird looks in the locker room once after a poo poo game. They thought I had loving horns or something! I'd just cracked my head when I fell. But they kept giving me poo poo about it, so I slammed the nearest guy's face into the tile. I think he needed 18 stitches after that, heh.

I'm not very good at school, but I get by. It's hard making friends. I just...I get so angry sometimes, and hurting people feels good. I try to hurt people who deserve it, but...gently caress it. Everyone's afraid of me anyway, not like it matters.

quote:

Look: Bodybuilder, furious eyes

Origin: Anger management issues

Stats:
Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 2
Dark: -1

Harm 0/4
Experience 0/5

Moves:

Labyrinth
When you do harm to someone, take a string on them. You get +1 ongoing to lash out physically, shut someone down, or gaze into the abyss when your target has the condition In the Maze. You get -1 ongoing to lash out physically, shut someone down, or gaze into the abyss when your target has the condition Golden Thread.

Bully
When you use physical force to intimidate or harass someone, roll Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down. Take -1 ongoing to hold steady; if you fail, gain the condition Enraged instead of Terrified.

Seeing Red
When you gaze into the abyss about someone with whom you’re furious, roll Volatile instead of Dark. On a 7-9, add this to the list of options: “Place the condition In the Maze on them.” On a 10 up, add these to the list of options: “Place the condition In the Maze on them” and “Do 1 extra harm the next time you lash out physically at them.”

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, give them a string on you and the condition Golden Thread. They may choose to ask you to spare one person; if they do, give that person the condition Golden Thread as well.

Darkest Self
You’re nothing but a violent animal, and everybody knows it. They all just use you - the assholes who get you mad and point you at their enemies, the sick freaks who get off on making out with a dumb beast, the suckups who pretend to like you so you won’t end them. So fine, be a violent animal. Track down anyone who’s In the Maze and show them just how bestial you can be. If nobody’s In the Maze, choose someone to face your fury. You can escape your Darkest Self when there’s no-one left In the Maze or when you are confronted by someone with a Golden Thread.

Backstory
You regularly act as the muscle for someone. Give them three strings on you.

You recently bullied someone. Take a string on them.

You’re someone’s guilty one-night stand. Each of you take a string on the other.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 19, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I'm thinking this the uniform Coppelia found in her house and shows up to school in. You literally cannot go wrong with a Peter Pan collar, it's impossible

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Zurui posted:

Make it that her breath turns to smoke whenever she experiences an extremely strong emotion (anger, fear, sadness, arousal) and you've got a deal.

Deal. I'll edit it in.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Okay, I'm going to have to cut it off at fourteen characters. Finish up your sheets if you need to and I'll make some decisions by tomorrow.

I feel so bad, these are all so awesome and I don't want to choose :(

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Ha ha, I am in a coffee shop drinking what my fiancee calls "dead espresso" and loving Simple Minds is playing, so perfect.

Zurui posted:

How about we go for a hybrid and say her hunger is physical pain (as in, inflicting)? I think that's more suggestive than flesh and less ambiguous than fear.

Also, I am taking your tell as the surgical scars, so long as they are significant and unnatural-looking. (They can be in places you can cover up.)
That sounds very good, with the caveat that I still see Ruby eating voraciously, maybe things that aren't even food, maybe biting someone and even eating parts of anyone she killed, if it came to that. (Part of my original vision is that she can't ask anything from her creator, because she killed him--whether he died of fright or a bite wound is immaterial, but he's in a chest freezer. If those "necromantic caretakers" ever show up, everyone will have some explaining to do.) The fear and violence and the threat of spontaneous violence is definitely what's really important; this is a person locked in the addictive cycle of using anger to stave off shame.

I was originally concerned about the flesh-eating because it's simply more lethal than a vampire drinking blood, and if the fiction dictates that a character has to be frequently murdering NPCs, or worse, always angling to kill a fellow PC, I think it would drag everything in the direction of a murder mystery that everybody wishes would probably just go away in favour of character drama. (Have you seen "Hemlock Grove?" It's what happens when people who usually produce shooters, slashers, and cop shows try to wedge that energy into a teen supernatural drama. I always think of it when I see posts asking, for example, why Monsterhearts doesn't have rules for weapons.)

Oh poo poo, "The Killing Moon" just came on. So stoked.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Ha ha, I am in a coffee shop drinking what my fiancee calls "dead espresso" and loving Simple Minds is playing, so perfect.

That sounds very good, with the caveat that I still see Ruby eating voraciously, maybe things that aren't even food, maybe biting someone and even eating parts of anyone she killed, if it came to that. (Part of my original vision is that she can't ask anything from her creator, because she killed him--whether he died of fright or a bite wound is immaterial, but he's in a chest freezer. If those "necromantic caretakers" ever show up, everyone will have some explaining to do.) The fear and violence and the threat of spontaneous violence is definitely what's really important; this is a person locked in the addictive cycle of using anger to stave off shame.

I was originally concerned about the flesh-eating because it's simply more lethal than a vampire drinking blood, and if the fiction dictates that a character has to be frequently murdering NPCs, or worse, always angling to kill a fellow PC, I think it would drag everything in the direction of a murder mystery that everybody wishes would probably just go away in favour of character drama. (Have you seen "Hemlock Grove?" It's what happens when people who usually produce shooters, slashers, and cop shows try to wedge that energy into a teen supernatural drama. I always think of it when I see posts asking, for example, why Monsterhearts doesn't have rules for weapons.)

Oh poo poo, "The Killing Moon" just came on. So stoked.

Oh man, I just had the best idea for potential intersecting of plots if Ruby's creator was the kind to experiment on/with corpses.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SuddenConsequences posted:

Oh man, I just had the best idea for potential intersecting of plots if Ruby's creator was the kind to experiment on/with corpses.
Yeah, I think "experiment" is being a little too kind. I mean at first he was...not just respectful, but it was like he was in awe. If he wasn't sure it was going to work, that might explain the trouble I've been having. Anyway. He kept talking about the "Great Work" and that it was almost complete, or I was almost complete, or both.

He kept going on and on until he got tired of hearing himself, I think, and then he turned on an honest-to-God phonograph. It was Delibes, which is silly; it's not like he even knew how to dance in 6/8. I played along, but then this feeling came over me, like I was hungry and thirsty at the same time, and it kept getting worse. And I realized that the whole time I was under, it was like I was drifting so far underwater I could barely see the sunlight, but the whole time I could hear the sounds of sawing, cutting, stitching, and sounds like somebody frying an egg. And I realized the hunger had been with me then, and getting worse and worse the whole time. So when I looked at him it was like having X-ray vision, like I could see all the way down to his bone marrow. And each layer of tissue was a feeling: first pride, then hope, then desperation, and fear was at the core of him. And it was delicious.

So he's not around anymore. But I've been back to the lab a few times, and nobody's done anything with it. No police, no friends, no relatives, no real estate agents. Nobody's packed up his stuff, and the lights and the water are still on. The room where I woke up, in the basement, didn't look like Frankenstein's lab. It was more like somebody took the sets from Caligari and put them in a morgue, and then hired del Toro to redecorate the place. Now, I'm not ignorant about this kind of thing. I did a paper on Albertus Magnus once. I just don't know if there are more like him.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

After hours of highly scientific analysis, emotional quandary, and sleep, I've narrowed it down to six characters.

- Clipperton as Coppelia Barnes, Clock Out of Time
- Inklesspen as Alex Stillman, Prisoner of Id
- SuddenConsequences as Sophie Townsend, Lost and Fading Soul
- Halloween Jack as Roberta Clark, Rebellious Sadist
- Jolinaxas as Adrianna Mercante, Story-keeper and Bargain-maker
- Fausts Pen as Carmine LeDare, Heir to the Old Ways

If your name is not on this list, don't give up! I am going to try to work new characters in once we get into a groove (or things start to slow up). Players who lose interest will have their characters revert to NPCs and we all know what happens to NPCs in Monsterhearts. Keep this thread bookmarked for the inevitable call for fresh blood.

If your name is on that list:

First up is backgrounds and Strings. Instead of enforcing a turn order, we're just going to start with whoever posts first and do it asynchronously. Post your backgrounds. If you're taking Strings, you can name who you're taking them from. If you're giving Strings, you'll ask who wants them. Either way, you'll want to work back and forth on how these relationships work.

Instead of a homeroom seating chart, we're going to do a relationship chart. Each of you will post five NPC students (just name, class, and a one-sentence description). Take two Strings, give two Strings, and describe what these Strings represent. When other people post their NPCs, you can take a String or give a String on each of their lists, too. At the end I'll make a diagram of all of these relationships.

So, next post: Backgrounds/Strings, five NPCs, NPC Strings.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 20, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

werewolf posted:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You've spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Much as I hate to admit it, I wear my emotions on my sleeve. That "Xander" bullshit the first day of class? You all got a good glimpse who I am when I tried to walk it back and play it cool as just "Alex".

I've had my eye on Adrianna. There's just something compelling about how she walks through the school, weaving through all the cliques and gangs, like she's taking her pick of them. That's so not me, but I need to understand why she does it. (I'll take two strings on Adrianna.)

I assume the "take two strings, give two strings" is total, not per NPC.

• Barry Hendricks, US History. Dude's a fuckin' genius at all the names and dates, but it bugs the poo poo out of me that he doesn't seem to care about what any of it means.
  • Lucy Beckett, Chemistry. She's always up for working on group projects with anybody— once. I don't know what the hell her deal is.
  • Mike Papadakis, Wrestling team. We don't seem to share any classes, but we wrestle together. He's got this fierce drive to be the best man on the team and I'm thinking we're gonna come to blows over it eventually.
  • Vanessa Kendall, English Literature. Half theater nut, half hunting nut. She was really welcoming to me as a newcomer; she invited me to go deer hunting with her and her older brothers. Thinking I'll take her up on it.
  • Kellie Yates, French. Thinks she's destined to be a psychologist, thinks she can solve everyone's problems. But when you take her up on her offer to talk, she's just got lines from a self-help booklet. Hard to tell her how useless her advice is, though, because that'd hurt her feelings.

I'm gonna take a string on Mike (I've seen who he really is and what he'll do to be the best) and Kellie (I know I could ruin the persona she tries to put on, but I don't know what would happen after that).
I'll give a string to Vanessa (I'm gonna go hunting with her and her brothers? Must be some kind of crush!) and Barry (When you interact with someone who's that analytical, he's gonna figure out what makes you tick).

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 20, 2014

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

The Ghost posted:

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

"Nobody even looks at me anymore. It feels like everyone got together and decided that I'm dead to them. Which sounds like a bad joke but it's not, okay!? It's not funny at all. I even followed people around, just to see how long it would take them to notice and the answer is way too long. Or sometimes not at all! Like Coppelia. I followed her home after school one day - not like my parents really seem to notice whether I come home on time or not anymore anyway - just sitting in the back of the bus while everyone got off bit by bit. She lives in this house way out in the woods by herself. I slipped in and took a look around and it's a really weird place full of books and it smells... old. I think she might have noticed me though 'cause she never went to bed while I was there, like she was waiting or scared or something so after a watching her for a bit I just left. I mean I was just curious, I didn't mean to keep her up all night..."

Taking a String on Coppelia.

"And actually, there is one person who I've noticed still pays attention to me sometimes, although I kind of wish she didn't. Ruby has been giving me weird looks on occasion, as if she'd seen a - well - you know... It's almost as if she knows something. And she's always got that hungry look in her eyes. Freaks me out."

Giving a String to Roberta. I'm thinking some of the things left behind in her creator's lab might include Sophie's corpse in some shape or form.

Classmates/NPCs

Madison Conley, English Lit
The popular girl, she's a cheerleader and everything, though she's not the leader and you better not ask her about that. We used to be friends and I always thought she was nice and I guess she still is, I mean she's not really a bitch or anything. She's just decided that I don't fit into her world anymore, I guess.
Madison gets a String on Sophie.

Jenny Lovett, English Lit
She's Madison's friend and she's just awful. She's always jealous of people but Madison likes her for some reason so I hung out with her a lot because of that. If you stay on her good side she's tolerable.
Jenny gets a String on Sophie.

Liberty Banning, Spanish
Liberty's alright. She moved here from California and the weather is making her kinda miserable but she always tries to be in a good mood. She's kinda dorky but alright. I invited her along with Madison and Jenny a couple times but since then she's drifted away from them some.

Desmond Winslow, Art
One of the few black kids at the school. He's on the lacrosse team and pretty buff. I was pretty surprised when he showed up in Art class and I heard he takes some poo poo for it from his jock friends but he doesn't seem to mind. I used to think it was dumb and that he pretty much asked to be made fun of but now I don't know...

Steven Eckley, Math
I don't think I've ever seen him awake in Math. I think he takes drugs. I mean, not just 'cause of the sleeping thing. He got into trouble with one of the teachers once when he dropped something at his locker. I was getting some books from mine and I heard them and Steven said it wasn't his, it must have fallen from some other locker and Mr. Harrison asked me if I saw anything. I guess he trusts me more than Steven and I wasn't really sure what to say 'cause I hadn't really seen anything so I just shook my head and I guess he took that as backing up Steven's story since he stormed off after that and Steven thanked me for having his back. I didn't mean to, but I wasn't gonna run after Mr. Harrison either, you know?
Taking a string on Steven.

Fausts Pen posted:

Jason Rollins, Religion: This guy gets it. He's the one who asks all those little questions that piss off the penguins and he's got the detention record to prove it. Only reason they haven't kicked him out is cause his parents are fuckin' loaded, I heard.

My parents know his parents and he lives nearby in the fancier part of town like we do. I used to see him in church all the time growing up but he stopped coming a while ago and I heard his parents aren't happy with that at all.
Taking a string on Jason.

Atropha fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 20, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution
Background Stuff:

quote:

Judge each other PC as either “treasure” or “merely currency.”
If they're treasure, describe the moment they caught your eye, and give them a String.
Someone pointed Coppelia out to me. I wasn't really paying attention - apparently she'd said something "totes hilarious". Anyway, what I noticed first was the key around her neck. That's a concious choice - but I don't know what she's trying to say. It's intriguing.

Carmine, on the other hand - I think he's like me. His contempt for this place - this town, these people. It's right there on his sleeve. Not afraid to show it. And that's interesting...

quote:

If they're merely currency, take a String on them. Read them this:
"Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

Five NPCs
Louis "Lou" Dyer - Biology - He seemed awfully eager to tell me about his "sweet fake ID." (Taking a string.)
Iris North - Italian - A cheerleader. Awfully clever for one - I think she caught onto the fact that I already speak Italian. (Giving)
Kelvin Soares - Pre-Calc - You'll know him when you see him. I'm surprised this stuffy place doesn't ban having that much metal in your face.
Liz Perreira - AP English - This poor, bespectacled, little lost lamb. I think we're the only two people who regularly go to the local bookstore. (Taking)
Michael Reynolds - History - A hockey player, apparently. More importantly, something pretty to look at when History gets boring. Which is distressingly often. (Giving)

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Zurui posted:

- Fausts Pen as Carmine LeDare, Heiress to the Old Ways

Heir! <:mad:> Unless you intended that to be a hint that you want my character to be trans

The Witch posted:

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend's stuff, but they kept quiet. They get a string on you.

Sophie: A button dropped off your coat the other day, but you were gone before I could give it back. I bet you didn't even notice it, the coat was pretty ratty anyhow. Taking

Alex: Really? You asked me for a spot in gym class? I'm pretty sure that fuckin' bar weighs as much as me. Showoff prick. And, just sayin', if you don't wanna lose any more necklaces you oughta actually lock your locker. Taking

Ruby: You saw me rummaging around in Amy Nguyen's violin case that one time. I made up some lame excuse about dropping my drum key in there, but I'm pretty drat sure you didn't believe me. I wouldn't have. Amy never mentioned anything though, so you must have kept your mouth shut. Bullet dodged. Giving

NPCs

Thad Kramer, Music: A big, loud guy who plays the sax. Really enthusiastic, but surprisingly not annoying. Dude's good too, probably got a career in front of him.

Clare Thompson, Biology: Suuuuuper bitchy. I had to work with her on the last project. Oh sure, I'll do all the work an' lick your boots too! Made me want to ventilate a fuckin' vein.

Laney Hart, English Lit: She's about the only reason I'm passin' this one. She's got a head for it. That and sappy-rear end romantic ideas about people.

Jason Rollins, Religion: This guy gets it. He's the one who asks all those little questions that piss off the penguins and he's got the detention record to prove it. Only reason they haven't kicked him out is cause his parents are fuckin' loaded, I heard.

Ryan McCaffrey, Math: Guy's smart, but will he help anybody? Hell no. Nope, pretty boy's gotta keep all those good grades for himself. Well, that and whatever girl he's got his eye on. Gimme a goddamn break.

I'm takin' a String on Clare, because number one she owes me for that B+, and number two I've got every one of those stupid pen caps she chewed up and I'm itchin' for a reason to use 'em.

I'm takin' another string on Ryan for that one time I caught him takin' 'headache pills' between classes. Sure dude.

I'm givin' a string to Jason because he totally took the heat for me in class when I laughed at some dumb poo poo the teacher said.

I'm also givin' a string to Laney cause not only is she draggin' my rear end through English, I wish I could have those same pretty notions about people.

Other people's NPCs
I'm takin' a String on Kelvin Soares. Guy needed some booze and I got him hooked up. It ain't all for Hexin'.

Another String taken on Amy Nguyen. I just said I got caught, didn't say anything about not finding what I was looking for. What can I say? She's cute.

VVV Haha I figured it was a typo, just messing with you

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 21, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I totally knew that Carmine was a young man. You spell it out in your answers. I have no freaking clue what happened there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Jolinaxas posted:

"Describe something off-putting that I said to you."

We get this group assignment to do a presentation in history, right? And we get to pick our partners for once. I'm thinking something on Gutenberg would be cool, so I ask Adrianna to join me. Her response: "What's in it for me?" After a moment she laughed it off as a joke and I laughed too, but the look in her eyes was freaky, like she was sizing me up and didn't think much of what she saw.

(And yes, of course I knew she was into books. How could anyone watch her and not know that?)

• Locked thread