Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Oh dear. It looks like we wound up on top of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

:munch: BTW, thanks for the link inklespen, reading some stuff now. Also, reading this thread. And I think you might have missed Ruby asking you to take a look at her disloated arm.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yeah, we typed at the same time. Jack, how do you wanna resolve that?

Also, on a whim I just looked up the most likely engine that would be in the Beast.

Wikipedia posted:

GM recalled 1.5 million vehicles with this engine on April 14, 2009 due to risk of fire from engine oil leaking under the valve cover gaskets onto hot exhaust manifolds. The fire could spread to the nearby plastic spark plug wire retainers on the valve cover and then to the rest of the engine compartment.

Welp.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
So, I don't want to stop the obvious enthusiasm in which people are getting into this game, but can we slow things down just a touch?

I checked the thread four or five hours ago at work, said "oh, I'll have to post right when I'm done" in regard to the MC post and the few that followed it. When I got home, not only had the car already sped off and was near to dropping someone off, but Adrianna's presence in-scene seemed to be ignored outright by most players.

Not to say, of course, that every post you make should concern her, but I was at least expecting something as to why all the PCs were leaving her to the first-responder "wolves."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

You can absolutely be in the car - I just assumed you are. The nature of PbP means that there will be missed opportunities to get posts on "on time," so retcons are going to happen.

On that note, though: I will usually put at least 24 hours between scene transitions, longer for scenes involving more characters. If I post little asides and don't update your scene, that's probably why.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Probably should note that half of us (Jolinaxas, Sudden Consequences, sometimes Faust, and myself) are still hanging out in the IRC channel. Now that I think about it, that seems like a recipe for miscommunication.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've been reading along - good stuff? And faster than most games I've seen (or been in!) Z, I can make you an IRC channel op if you pop on and register your nick.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdJPaGKJkmo

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think we could use a little help to aid roleplaying and interaction between people that aren't Ruby and Sophie. Everyone should post an "agenda" for their character: three wants, one need, three fears, and one trigger. These can (and probably should) be things that your character keeps private. It'll help all of us drive roleplaying around the individual characters.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I posted an agenda before, but I'll bring it into line with the guidance.

Alex's RP agenda posted:

• I want to earn respect from the wrestling team. (For funsies, compare/contrast with Darkest Self.)
  • I want to earn recognition from the student body.
  • I want to find someone I can really care about.
  • I need to learn why I was chosen for this power.
  • I'm afraid I'm going to seriously disappoint dad.
  • I'm afraid I'll screw it up when there's multiple people who are important to me and I can't please all of them. (For example, Alex leaving the scene with the girls even though he knows his mom would want him to be responsible and stay.)
  • I'm afraid I'll hurt someone who doesn't deserve it. (Mind, "deserving it" is a pretty fickle thing. Almost sounds like a Condition!)
  • I can't stand it when someone uses me as a means to an end.

Alex is social, but not political. If you want to enrage him, trick him into being a useful tool. If you want to torture him, make him choose between two people whose regard he craves. If you want him to trust you, show him the truth of the danger you pose.

Edit: Talked about this on the IRC with the folks who were there, but I think it would be cool for Alex to drop off Ruby and Sophie (so they can do their shared trauma necromancy thing) and then drive Coppelia back to her place. I have no idea what Adrianna wants at this point; a ride to her place? I'm heading to sleep, will post more in the morning.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 2, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
Adrianna's RP Agenda:
+I want my parents to acknowledge my existence in a meaningful way
+I want my Treasures to like me, and enjoy my company
+I want to figure out why I breathe smoke sometimes
+I need -more-. More treasures, more books, more for me.
+I'm afraid that people will realize how much I enjoy observing them
+I'm afraid that that I'll turn the people I care about away
+I'm afraid that my possessions may be my only true friends, and that that's my fault.
+I can't stand it when I'm reduced to a stereotype.

Her central flaw (and the central flaw of any Wyrm) is that she conflates objects and people. She pretty much -is- the bored rich girl that people assume her to be, valuing novelty and "shininess" to an unhealthy extent when it comes to interpersonal relationships, and being confronted with this fact is not something she's a fan of. Unfortunately, this is how she's been conditioned to treat people, due to a crappy, if comfortable family life.

Also, whether you're Currency or Treasure to her is most certainly not set in stone.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Coppelia needs to be wound every day, without fail. This is the great constant and limiting condition of her life.

She wants to 'fit in' at school. The meaning of 'fit in' is flexible depending on her mood but in essence it mostly means not standing out.
She wants a home, like Ruby's or the ones covered in Christmas lights--somewhere warm and welcoming.
She wants to discover what she is and why she was made.

She fears that discovering what she is will drive a wedge further between her and humanity.
She fears that someone will discover what she does for cash--or that someone already has. She fears it even more than she does people finding out she's a machine.
She fears trickery, false pretences and ulterior motives.

A definite trigger for Coppelia would be anyone messing with/hiding her key.

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 2, 2014

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Carmine wants someone to confide in, whether it be a relationship or just a friendship.
He wants to look good in front of his classmates.
He wants to learn to control his magic better.

Carmine needs a break from the routine, getting out of the predictable rhythm of school and life.

He fears rejection, that opening up to people will drive them away.
He fears that someone will discover his magic, or even worse his small collection of tokens.
He fears his own power, having seen it backfire more than once.

Carmine hates being put into a corner, whether socially or physically. If he feels like he can't escape the situation, he'll claw his way out with no regard for others.

I completely missed that post before I conked out, sorry for the delay :shobon:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Ruby wants someone to make her feel okay.
Ruby wants to defend purity from evil.
Ruby wants to find out who made her like this, why, and if she's still in danger.

Ruby needs to sate her Hunger. Sooner or later, an outburst of cruelty is the only way to stave off the pain.

Ruby fears being found out for who she thinks she really is.
Ruby fears betrayal from those closest to her.
Ruby fears wrongfully hurting someone close to her or letting them down. That would make her evil.

Ruby's trigger is humiliation, especially if it's public, and more especially if she brought it on herself.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Sophie wants to be part of something (a family, a relationship, a group of friends).
She wants to help others deal with their problems.
She wants to find peace and pass on, though obviously she doesn't quite realize that yet.

She needs to know that she matters, to be recognized and not forgotten.

She fears being abandoned and alone and that (her) existence might be meaningless.
She fears being helpless and weak.
She fears that there might be nothing else beyond this.

Her trigger is to be shunned and to be told or shown that nobody cares about her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yrlw8FuJko

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Will post later this morning!

e: Posted! Coppelia rolled +Hot to try to turn Ruby on on the drive to the gas station; is this still the same scene, or do I pick up another XP?

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 3, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
:sbahj:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Ruby has opened up more in a day than she has in a year. With that in mind, I'll take that Add 1 to Hot Advance.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
And with that long post, I'm heading afk for about five hours. Gonna go see a documentary about Miyazaki.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk1AMsE1I44

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Will post tomorrow morning!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Zurui: i was wondering if maybe some of alex's experiences tonight make sense for clearing the unstable condition.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

End of the episode, clear all conditions that might be taken away by a good night's sleep :)

Opening post for Episode 2 goes up in a few hours! No need to post until then.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey does anybody care if I use the episode transition as a way to change my narration style? First-person present is feeling a little ugly.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I don't mind either way.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with it too.

Also - a couple of questions about sex moves, one general and one specific to Coppelia:

1) Is it only actual full-on sex that triggers a sex move, or is it any kind of fade-to-black makeout session?

2) The Hollow's sex move is "After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it." Does this mean that if a Hollow has sex with, say, a Chosen, would she heal all her wounds and replace her sex move with the Chosen's, or would she only replace her sex move with the Chosen's, and heal all her wounds the next time she has sex? Am I making any sense here?

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNEYfIUDkh8

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Clipperton posted:

I'm fine with it too.

Also - a couple of questions about sex moves, one general and one specific to Coppelia:

1) Is it only actual full-on sex that triggers a sex move, or is it any kind of fade-to-black makeout session?

2) The Hollow's sex move is "After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it." Does this mean that if a Hollow has sex with, say, a Chosen, would she heal all her wounds and replace her sex move with the Chosen's, or would she only replace her sex move with the Chosen's, and heal all her wounds the next time she has sex? Am I making any sense here?

Sex Moves are more Intimacy moves. You guys could have (and probably should retcon it in) that you both pulled a sex move last night. It was definitely intimate enough. The first time the Hollow uses their Sex Move, it doesn't do anything. They're experiencing intimacy for the first time and because of their nature they copy whatever they see normal people do in this instance. The next time they'll act that out.

Also, just a reminder that school is canceled today. It's okay that you and Alex showed up (I didn't see a radio in the place), but the schools' entrances and parking lots are blocked by snow drifts.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Oops. Edited my post to Coppelia meeting Alex outside her house.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
So, Zurui, there's a potential ambiguity in Alex's sex move:

Werewolf posted:

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

In that last sentence, "you" could be read as the plural you from the middle sentence, or the singular you from the first sentence. Which is it? (That is, do both parties sense when the connection is broken, or just Alex?)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm going to say that it means just the Werewolf, because that means more drama.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

:munch: Man, the juxtaposition between Coppelia and Alex 'everything is great' and Ruby and Sophie's horror show is really nice.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I'd like to archive the play thread on a website without a paywall. I figured I'd turn each "episode" into a page as it finishes. Any objections?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm not concerned. Just make sure you scrape Coppelia's wrap-up post into Episode 1.

Edit: Also, if you want me to make a PNG title for Episode 1 just let me know.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Will do and feel free.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Man, hope you guys are still kicking this much as in a few weeks and Amy can dive in. She'll be the Tara!

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Hey guys, I'm probably going to be a bit sketchy for posting tomorrow due to doctors and errands, but I'll try to get at least one in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Will post something substantial in the morning. Zurui, can I get more details on that "The Sheriff's office has asked everyone to restrict their travel to emergencies only." thing? Are businesses all closed, or does normal life go on at a slower pace?

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 5, 2014

• Locked thread