Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Non-essential businesses are closed. You won't get in trouble for driving, but you might raise some eyebrows. It's less dangerous and more you might get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Okay, that post was shorter than I wanted, but it took me a while to figure out something for them to do with the city shut down like this. Going to the hardware store isn't a very romantic first date, even if she is a robot.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Hella busy today, will try to post later tonight!

e: posted! didn't advance things much, but all the :stare: with Ruby and Jenny ought to make up for that

Also - how does Turn Someone On work when PCs are seeing each other? Do they just roll every time they meet, or not roll at all, or what?

e: VVVV Fixed! VVVV

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 6, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Good question! BTW, you typed "admit" when I think you meant "omit".

Edit: my guess is we'd still roll it when our characters want something from each other; Alex could roll it when he's being affectionate as a "pay attention to me", which I'm sure is something that will come up!

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 6, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That's essentially correct. Turn Someone On is a move you use when it's antagonistic on some level: you want something or someone and there is a reason that might not happen. It's a String machine. Coppelia could Turn Alex On while he's winding her in order to reassure herself that he'll keep her secret (because he wants her). Alex could Turn Coppelia On if she grew jealous and he wanted that to stop.

Remember that, to begin with, all relationships in Monsterhearts are dysfunctional and immature because they're about selfish desires. The Season moves allow you to grow beyond that.

Edit: Ruby kicking the poo poo out of a bully is a perfect example.

I like the idea of Ruby leaving Jenny alive, but remember that her Darkest Self keeps on. The Hunger is in control now. Whose pain does she need now?

Zurui fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 6, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Purely out of curiosity, can Alex go Darkest Self during the day? The sun rising is a sufficient condition to end it, which implies (but does not explicitly state) he can't be in Darkest Self with the sun up.

Werewolf Darkest Self posted:

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I've always read it as "it must be a new day" which is a great metaphor. So yeah, can happen during the day.

I'm driving back home today, big update tonight.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I expect I won't see it until the morning... East coast time zones suck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just a note that I took a Watchful Golem XP for attacking Jenny, if that's cool.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
It's harder than it ought to be to find the strings spreadsheet. I suggest Z edit it into one of the OPs.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

inklesspen posted:

It's harder than it ought to be to find the strings spreadsheet. I suggest Z edit it into one of the OPs.

It's in the game OP, above the questions. :)

Also, drat. That is probably the worst possible time to fail a roll.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Will post later this afternoon!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Alex will take Light the Way, from the Chosen skin:

Light the Way posted:

Whenever your friends follow through on your commands or your lead, they add 1 to their roll. (If your friends are NPCs, they instead act at an Advantage.)

I was also considering Growing Pains, but with police violence so much in the news lately, I'd rather save that for when we're not facing down Green Bay's Finest.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
For that roll I assumed Alex and Coppelia's makeout session in the car triggered her sex move and she gets a +1 because she's defending Alex. It would still be a 7-9 either way.

Also, Coppelia marks XP and gets and Advance: I'll go for the Hollow move Inhuman Gaze: "When you shut someone down, roll with dark."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Obviously Z has the final say, but that seems like a stretch to me. Last night counted because, as she said, Alex was literally in her heart; that's pretty drat intimate. Making out in the front of a car just before going into face your parents? Not so much, in my book.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'd go with Shut Someone Down over Manipulate an NPC for Coppelia, based on what you describe in your post. You're trying to divert the conversation, not convince them to leave. What do you think?

And a big nyope to the sex move. New levels of intimacy only.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

I'd go with Shut Someone Down over Manipulate an NPC for Coppelia, based on what you describe in your post. You're trying to divert the conversation, not convince them to leave. What do you think?

I would say Coppelia is threatening the cops here with the intention of getting them to leave rather than just trying to intimidate them, and "bribes, threats and motives" fall under Manipulate an NPC. That said, it doesn't make much difference mechanically--if Coppelia manipulates them she picks up XP from rolling +Hot; if she Shuts them Down, they give each other a Condition and she picks up XP from that, through Better than Nothing. (If we give each other Conditions, I vote "Rattled" for the cops and "Smart rear end" for Coppelia.) Let me know what you think!

quote:

And a big nyope to the sex move. New levels of intimacy only.

boooo. Still counts as a 7-9 though!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Clipperton, I think this would be a good time for Coppelia to poke her head in!

In any event, I'll post something in the AM.

Nevermind all that, I'm gonna post!

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 11, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Still at work :/ Post first thing tomorrow!

e: okay, so it ended up being later than that

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 12, 2014

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I'm a little bit confused by the last narration bit for Sophie. Could I get some clarification what is going on so I don't assume the wrong thing?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm trying to go for the idea that she's connected to Ruby. Her heart is (literally) a part of Ruby now, and Carmine's hex bound it to her. My thought is that Sophie needs it back to escape the spirit world. I'm open to interpretations of how that needs to happen :)

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

That's kind of what I was going for anyway! Does it mean she can see or at least sense Ruby again despite Darkest Self?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, she at least knows where her heart is. The rest is in your court.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Just spent 10 hours in a car, I'll probably be able to post tomorrow. Sorry for the holdup.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
For the record, I think it would be interesting to get all six characters in the same place sometime soon.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Also sorry for the holdup, but after tomorrow work should be less hectic and I'll have lots more time to post.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If at all possible, we should wrap things up and I will throw all of you together before school or at a lunch table tomorrow.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Alex's flashback is intended to be interpreted as the way his mind processed the experience, and not necessarily as what objectively happened. Just in case that matters.

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Back from my trip, regular posting to resume in the morning!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Feels to me like our little gang of four is at a stalemate. The scene's effectively done, but nobody wants to move on from it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree the scene is done unless Clipperton wants to add Coppelia's reaction. Adrianna and Carmine might want to continue their scene in the library, but beyond that I think we're ready for the MC post Zurui mentioned.

C'mon post you guys

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

You guys have been doing great! I just wanted to sit back and let it wrap up. Big update tonight, then.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANrrZxtDfXA

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
FWIW, I'm waiting to post until Clipperton posts.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Sorry guys, I'll have to quit. I was hoping I would have time to post once the holidays came around but it's clear that's not the case and keeping you all waiting for me would be bullshit. This is by far the best PbP I've ever been in and I really wanted to make it work but oh well :smith: I'll be reading it whenever I get the chance, keep it going!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
:smith: indeed. It's been great, Clipp.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Coppelia's a great character and you really hit some nice notes with her, Clipp.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Clipperton posted:

Sorry guys, I'll have to quit. I was hoping I would have time to post once the holidays came around but it's clear that's not the case and keeping you all waiting for me would be bullshit. This is by far the best PbP I've ever been in and I really wanted to make it work but oh well :smith: I'll be reading it whenever I get the chance, keep it going!

Aww man, sorry to hear that. I will miss Coppelia. Maybe she can do a guest appearance on occasion if you have the time.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I appreciate you posting to say so! Coppelia was already going to be an important plot point (she still will be), so I'm sad to see you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Hey Z, I was waiting on Clipp to post, because I wanted to work off of Coppelia's latest actions in my own post. Now that Coppelia is, at most, a NPC, I'd like some guidance. How do we want to handle this going forward? Is Coppelia gonna fade into the background? Get put on a bus? Something else?

• Locked thread