Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Lutwidge Aspen, Bachelor of Biology FP 5/5

Lutwidge might have been a bit annoyed when he got called away from the lab for the mission--Shoggoth cells are so interesting!--but he's spent the trip bouncing in his seat. Half of it is the piloting and turbulence, but the rest is him staring giddily at Spacecrab. And Jake. And Amaryllis. And Jed, come to think of it. They were all so interesting, really...

...oh, this is his stop! Time to--

"Wah!" Lutwidge promptly slips on the deck and falls on his rear. "Ah! Okay...okay, Aspen. Let's try that again. You might not have Spacecrab's cool legs, but that doesn't mean you have to fall over! It's all math, right?"

Just wait for the boat to reach the trough of its motion and run in between the sections of the deck! That way he won't have to compensate for lateral motion. And the crane towers and stuff can provide some shelter, since it's so windy the rain comes down at an angle. Okay then, plan set!

Wait for it...NOW!

I'm going to SCIENCE a way to get to the bridge, if you don't mind. But this also works with Physique, so...
[18:54:23] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[18:54:24] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, //-/+3 = 2

Yiiiikes!

Davin Valkri posted:

High Concept: Xenobiology Doctorate-in-Training
Sample Invoke: Be intelligent about non-human life forms; be willing to ask first, shoot later
Sample Compel: Still fundamentally a student, not a professional

Science +3 (SCIENCE, Will, Notice): Sufficiently Advanced Thinking Indistinguishable from Madness
Sample Invoke: Look at eldritch tomes without going mad.
Sample Compel: Be slightly mad already, or treated as a cultist

Grad Student +2 (Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Rapport, 11 pts): Go Miskatonic Manticores Fencing Team!
Sample Invoke: Relate to other Miskatonic interns and students
Sample Compel: Work study is really tiring...also poor.

Banter +1 (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will): Too Sexy for my Labcoat
Sample Invoke: Look good when looking good is needed
Sample Compel: Some people don't take this sort of thing seriously

Omega: Bachelor by Learning, Bachelor for Life
Sample Invoke: Be casual and present simplicity to friend and foe
Sample Compel: Be a bit lazy; simplicity becomes apathy

Skills:
+5: Xenobiology,
+4: Will, Notice
+3: SCIENCE, Empathy, Rapport, Contacts, Physique, Combat
+2: Deceive, Provoke, Atlhetics
+1:

Specialized Xenobiology (3 pts)
Trained Physique (1 pt)
Trained Provoke (1 pt)
Trained Deceive (1 pt)
Trained Combat (1 pt)
30/30; 3 Pts remaining

Stunts:
Seen Scarier on my Lab Bench! (Megastunt, 2 benefits): Fear-proof against mundane frights; +2 to Will vs. supernatural mental attacks to induce fear.
I Know Something You Don't: +2 to Create Advantage with Deceive when the target has no SCIENCE score above +3
Ping Pong Pectorals: +2 to Overcome with Physique when there's no actual strenuous labor involved (e.g. intimidation, looking good, etc.)

The Necronomnom EZ Access Tome smartphone app
Function: The NEAT-o Unspeakable Library that Fits in your Pocket
Flaw: Who Wrote the Code for This?!
Benefit 1: +2 to Create Advantage with Rapport when using the NEAT for remote contact
Benefit 2: Allies gain benefits of "Seen Scarier..." on a successful Will roll
Maybe some more?

6/5 -- GM gets one extra FP.

Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Lutwidge Aspen FP 5-1/5

Twinky? Really?

The expression on Aspen's face as he goes down is half surprise at his legs going out from under him and half...perfectly normal scientific curiosity as to the origin of the growling, really! He doesn't even bother to get up as he scrambles over on all fours to the broken hatch.

"Waitwaitwaitwait, let's not move on yet, Jake!" he calls out as he reaches for his smartphone. "Somebody's down here! Somebody...tee-hee...not of this earth! I wanna figure out what it is!" He flips on the video mode and lowers it into a break in the hatch. Is this dangerous? Of course it is! But you can't tell if a frog is poisonous without handling it (ideally with gloves, but eh...), so what's the difference?

"Hello? Helloooooo!" he chuckles as his voice echoes in the hold and he waves the smartphone around. "Come on over so we can get a good look at you...!"

Let's use the smartphone video and the sound of the groan and see if we can't figure out at least one living thing still on board, eh?
Hello? Hello down there! (Xenobiology, +5): 4dF+5 2
Oh that's not good at all! Rerolling with Xenobiology Doctorate-in-Training!
Reroll Reroll!: 4dF+5 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5

Triumphant and beaming despite the rain and wind, Lutwidge pulls out his smartphone and raises it high--then lowers it before he slips and sends it flying. "We saw a spider!" he chirps brightly, setting his phone to play back the video he caught. "Actually, I think it's a Tager! So it's, like, a human that's been bonded with an eldritch being...which is even cooler! It's kinda drunk or something though...maybe it's looking for the hair of the dog that bit it? Or just exposed to whatever venom it makes itself? Or themselves? Ah, but I'm babbling too much--"

A gust of wind echoes as it blows through the cranes, as if to announce its agreement.

"What did you find?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Well, I guess I can go ask, Amy," Lutwidge answers her without bothering to confirm if "Amy" is a good shortening for "Amaryllis". He slides his cell away and heads over to the breach in the hatch, leaning over more fully. "Helloooo again, spider Tager! If you can understand me, tap the--"

And then the spider shoots a big glob of sticky white stuff right at his chest. "Eh? Oh boy..." He grabs a hold of the hatch sections on both sides of his head and hangs on for dear life!

Is the Raging Tager attacking all of us, or is this a Create Advantage, or...? Anyway, I'm going to roll Physique to defend against the obvious attack from the spider tager. Don't pull me under (Physique): 4dF+3 4 And I think that's a boost for me!

"Aw, what's the matter, spider tager? Your webbing just not strong enough today? So cute...I feel like calling you Spinarak for some reason..." And as he talks, he swears he can see the tager cock its head appendage to one side.

Let's call it Ta'Ged and Confused or something.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge is a bit distracted by scraping off a sample of the sticky white stuff for later analysis to even notice all the fighting that's broken out around him. By the time he's got it safely ensconced in his pocket, the big one has already been fought by half the team! He did notice Jake jumping down into the hatch after the spider tager though.

"Hey, Jake!" he calls out as he prepares to follow down the ladder. "Wait up! I wanna see Spinarak up close too~" As he gets inside the hatch, he takes a moment to figure out how the devil he can seal up the hatch so that Spinarak can't pull the same trick it tried with him on any of his teammates. Ah, why couldn't everything be as easy as biology? Perhaps the same silk could be used...?

I'm going to seal up this hatch to prevent Spider Tager from interfering with the fight on the deck. Rolling science!
[21:30:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[21:30:33] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +-+-+3 = 3

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4-2/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Finally climbing from one area of the ship to the other without slipping and falling on his rear--thanks, spider silk sealant!--Lutwidge brushes himself off, waves a cheery acknowledgement at Jake's badass spider-kicking skills, and gives a short, brief bow to the now humanoid (aww...) Tagers. He's still smiling like a giggling schoolgirl, though. Who would have guessed that this trip would have resulted in so much direct experience with xeno-life?!

"Hello, my friends!" He greets them amiably, as if their spider ally (maybe an ally, maybe not) hadn't tried to kill him and Jake hadn't floored them. "Sooo...you know Jake, I'm Bachelor Aspen, but you can call me Lutwidge! He and I and our friends topside are here because this ship was thought lost." He leans casually against one of the shipping containers. "And now we know you're here! And you've got some really funny interior decorating." He points at the impromptu altar, then shrugs and grins at the lady tager. "Sooo...would you like to explain what you're doing in the hold of a ship adrift?" He cocks his head, smiles a little wider, then points at Jake. "Or does he need to strip again?"

Lutwidge is doing what he does best--buttering them up with Rapport for a good-cop bad-cop act!
[23:10:28] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[23:10:29] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +---+3 = 1
Invoke Too Sexy for my Labcoat for a reroll...
[23:11:13] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[23:11:14] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --/-+3 = 0
...Invoke Bachelor for Life for another reroll...!
[23:11:42] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[23:11:43] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /+/-+3 = 3

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 2/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Well, thank you, Tai!" Lutwidge winks at her when she spills the beans and his information pops up. "I'll be sure to make very good use of that information! Order of the Fang, eh...?"

He taps his smartphone and looks over the information. "Ah, man, so cool! Y'know, I gotta say, I sympathize; I wish I had some tager eggs all of myself. It'd be like keeping tadpoles...or worms...oh, right! Right, cultists and stuff, right..." He looks a little downcast. "Hey, after this, you need to set me up with your eggs...but for now! Bei, would you come with me so I can dissec--dissuade! Dissuade you from continuing on your present course...whatever it is? I promise I'm not carrying any laser scalpels or anything!"

He said, as he fingered a laser scalpel through the fabric of his labcoat.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 2+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Right, right, of course!" Lutwidge says a bit absentmindedly. "I promise I won't do whatever to him. Now, Bei, if you'll come with me to Hold 4...hi, Arthur, we left it untouched for you..."

He motions for the Komodo-like Tager to walk in front of him to the next hold, and watches him move. Ah, such grace and precision...each step striking precisely ahead, the legs and body moving in perfect balance...so perfect.... If he knew how these Tager parasites worked--really worked--imagine the benefits! The crippled could stand, the weak could defend themselves...Right, first he needs to follow him over. He steps a bit too quickly into Hold #4 and slams the bulkhead closed behind him.

"Okay, Bei!" He smiles as he continues to play with his laser scalpel under his labcoat. "So! We've got some dead bodies, some tager eggs, some mi-go tech, some good old fashioned guns here. That's an awful lot of innnnntriiigue for one cargo ship!" He drags out the "intrigue" playfully. "So! Let's start with the obvious. Is this ship owned by the Cult of the Fang? And how many of the crew were Tagers to start, and how many got turned into them by the eggs in Hold 1? Oh, and while you're talking..."

As Lutwidge asks his questions, he seals the bulkhead to Hold #5, and produces a stethoscope and a laser scalpel.

"Please take off your jacket and shirt. You're the first live tager I've had a chance to talk to in a long time, and I want to learn as much as I possibly can!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Ah, so the captain's involved then!" Lutwidge nods. "So it wasn't a mutiny. So the entire crew is part of your Fang cultist cell or--uh oh."

At that moment Lutwidge realizes that he'd been moving much too quickly with the whole "collecting Tager samples" thing, especially when Bei's musculature starts shifting around like he's got scarabs or rats under his skin or something. Kinda disgusting...but kinda fascinating too. He stops and stares with wide eyes for a few moments before remembering, oh yeah, he wants to transform so he can kill me.

"Ah! Mistake, mistake on my part! Forgot I had this in my coat, heh heh. That was supposed to be a pen, darn it!" He drops the scalpel to the ground. "See, no harm, no foul, right? Right?" For a bit more reassurance, he kicks the thing into a drainage vent, making a mental note to retrieve it letter. "Right! Now I can't cut you open with a sthetoscope, and using one of the crowbars here would just make a gigantic mess, so...kiss and make up?"

Uwah! I don't want to have to scavenge a weapon and fight, so let's try to calm him down! Uncle! No cuttee! (empathy): 4dF+3 3

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Glad we could work this out--whoa!" Lutwidge chirps as Bei bowls into him. "Uh...yeah, I'm not carrying any other weapons...take as much time as you need to confirm that, okay?"

He sits back, and as Bei starts talking, Lutwidge reaches forwards with the stethoscope. My god, he is muscular...and there's something under his skin too, maybe the Tager thing. His heartbeat is still human though...and it still reacts like a human. "Maybe you shouldn't try to lie to me while I can hear your heart beat? It just jumped, like, 50 Bee-Pee-Em when you said that last bit about you being the new guy here. I mean, I'm not going to tell you your business, I'm just saying...what is going on on the deck, anyway? Eh, this is more important." He sits down on another conveniently located crate and looks Bei in the eye, covertly tapping 'record' on his smartphone. "Soooo...why don't you tell me what's actually going on with you and this cult thing? I'm not going to judge--my bosses all think I'm part of a cult myself!"

Aww, look at the bro-bonding going on while everybody else is killing themselves! Anyway, Rapport time!
[22:10:37] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[22:10:38] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --/++3 = 2...why can't I ever roll high? :(

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Ah, man, that's a mess about your parents," Lutwidge says sympathetically. He listens intently to Bei as he explains his situation, perking up noticeably when he describes the rush of Tagerness. "I can...see why you fell in with them. Is everyone--"

Aaaaand that's when the Kool-Aid Tager decides he wants to join the party! "Guan?! Who's--wait! Bei! Aaaah!"

Lutwidge takes cover behind one of the boxes...then rushes to another box when he realizes that one's on fire. And the crate he was sitting on explodes into bullets! Luckily for him, crate number three has a Norinco with a loaded magazine, so he grabs that, and looks up at the piping.

Then he closes his eyes, aims upwards, and pulls the trigger and tries to shoot the pipes labelled "fire suppression"...and hopefully avoid the ones labeled "power" and "gas".

Let's make things less on fire, please?! Going to try to get the fire suppression sprinklers online by shooting the pipes a bunch!
[22:34:12] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[22:34:13] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -/+++3 = 4

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh, yes, Jake is up now!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge is stopping, dropping, and rolling as the fire and the fire retardant foam rains down in the hold...and most importantly on the bad guy. Then he ducks and covers (his ears) when Jake decides he wants to drop the mic, the beat, and the bad guy in a single heart-stopping move. By the time he opens his eyes again, the burning tager is completely gone!

"Ah! I wanted samples...!" he whines half-jokingly as he stares at the scorch mark on the floor. "Couldn't you have left a little bit of a body for a colleague, Jake? Next time leave something behind!" He drops the Norinco, the empty magazine falling out with a clatter, as he looks at their new subjects prisoners hostages friends. "Oh, he's shirtless because I asked him to be. I wanted to hear a Tager's heartbeat. Anyway, uh...you can put your shirt back on now, Bei. We can talk some more on the way back to our place. You don't have to do anything you don't want to anymore...same goes with you, Tai." He clasps his hands together and smiles. "Right! I've had enough of breathing in the fire foam; let's get out on the deck and pool our brains together. Not literally. Maybe literally."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge walks up on the deck with just the barest hint of a swagger, waves, and notices the secured and surrendered Tager captain. And he smiles at him in a way that says "I'm going to enjoy vivisecting you~!" with a pat on the head. Then he calls out to the team.

"Hey everybody! This is Bei and this is Tai, and I think they've agreed to help out for our cases! Let's stuff the big guy captain in a shipping container...or just let me have him! I promise I'll give him back with all the pieces still there..." He giggles mischievously as he makes a pretend cutting motion on his arm. "Actually, somebody want to come down with me to look at the Tager eggs? I'll bet seeing these things in their larval form will be absolutely fascinating. You two can come as well!" He magnanimously points to the two Tagers beside him. "And I guess we need to get samples...er, clean up some of the biological contamination. Lock some of these things down before we arrive in Thailand. Uh, anything for me up here?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"I'm not certifiable!" Lutwidge suddenly looks a little bit miffed at the suggestion. "The university checked that before they accepted my application! I'm not crazy! I'm not!" He pouts and glares at everyone...then suddenly starts smiling again. "Anyway, I'm going to inspect the Tager eggs, then. Have fun with everything you need to do! I certainly will!"

He turns, marches back down below decks, takes a few awkward minutes to get his laser scalpel back from the drainage area, and then looks over the Tager eggs with the sort of relish of someone preparing to dig into a pile of hard boiled eggs, muttering quietly to himself. "Alright, they'd never let me just play with these in the lab. They'd probably take them all as evidence or even destroy them as contraband! So..." he runs to the sickbay, slides on two plastic gloves and a mask, thinks a bit, then runs into the weapons hold and picks up some ear protection. Just in case Tager parasites went in through the ears. "I can probably cut one open and say that I was just confirming they were Tager eggs and not a Tager layer cake designed to look like eggs...but I don't have all of my lab equipment here! So...maybe I can keep one under my labcoat? Ah, can I just take one and say I want to analyze the parasite proper? Well, let's see what I can do with the crew sickbay equipment...!"

He suddenly snatches up an egg and runs over to the sickbay, sets it down on the counter, and turns on the theater lighting...

"Come on, Tager larva...tell me your secrets..."

Xenobiology will tell us more about these Tagers, and maybe give us more clues as to why this ship was smuggling them!
[22:03:42] <Davin_Valkringle> !r fudge+5
[22:03:43] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /--/+5 = 3
Let's Invoke Xeno Doctorate In Training for a reroll!
[22:04:31] <Davin_Valkringle> !r fudge+5
[22:04:32] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /-+/+5 = 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 3+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge stares at his lamprey-like Tager larva with unchecked fascination. It's so...wonderful! Such a simple organism for such a singular purpose, like a heat-seeking missile with a biological payload. Most fascinating...but are they all this limited? Heat-seeking missiles usually have a lot of thrust on the back end to go with their sensors. This one has a lot of sensors but no engines. You'd have to drop it into someone's mouth or something. Maybe some of the other eggs are further along in development.

He runs back to the hold, brings back another tager egg, and cuts it open. And then he does it again. And again...

By the time he realizes, oh gods, this is evidence, I need to save it!, there's a half dozen tager larvae in various states of dismemberment in front of him. At least he won't lack for samples...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

As Lutwidge walks off the deck of the container ship in triumph, he leaves behind 6 more broken tager eggs and a bunch more cotton balls on the sickbay floor. Those half-dissected larva are coming out with him in the jar the cotton balls used to be in, snuggled under his coat. SMUGGLED. Not snuggled. They're not penetrating his navel or anything. And the cleaning crew is too busy with the ship proper to give him more than a cursory examination. Operation Smuggle-Bug: Success! Now it's time to start with the--

- cue exaggerated image of a wicked, fanged Lutwidge holding up a scalpel and cackling madly-

...was that the tager drugs? Okay, maybe that could wait for tomorrow. He needs time to warm up the lab equipment properly. And he is most assuredly NOT a monomaniacal cultist! That is not an option! So it's probably best to do something besides obsess over the symbiote carriers all night.

And why not? He's young, he's handsome. Perfect for a night on the town. Maybe a chance to re-acclimate their two new friends to the world outside the Fangs? He flashes a badge at a few guards and makes his way over to their holding area. It's a lot swankier compare to their captain's, but the window's still barred and the lock's on the outside.

"Hey there."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Interrogate? Wha?" Lutwidge looks confused for a second before he suddenly remembers. "Oh, right, you're supposed to be our prisoners. Uh...huh. Right. I totally forgot about that!"

Not really, of course, but it's nice to play up the "good cop" aspects. Especially to Bei. He's nice.

"Uh, I guess you could say I want to interrogate you..." he begins a little cattily. "...although to be honest I'd prefer doing it over drinks. And sushi. Or just dim sum. Something like that. Ya know? Just three people with a shared interest in xenobiology, going on, shooting the breeze, noshing on tasty practically xeno-biological seafood--seriously, have you seen the fish here?!" He smiles brightly and motions with his hands, indicating a big fish, before dropping his hands to his sides. "Hang on a sec."

He walks back to where he came in and starts shouting. "Hey! I'm arranging an external interrogation session! Extraordinary rendition or something like that! Let us through!" He turns back and whispers--"That's code for a dinner date, by the way. Got any recommendations?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Ha ha, you're funny, Tai!" Lutwidge grins cattily as she suggests...the next step. Well, not really the next step. His quarters are much too small, and he doesn't really do that sort of thing anyway--his first love is SCIENCE! He does smile when Bei steps in to his defense though. Nice guy. Understandable story, if everything he said back on the ship was true. He definitely needed to get Tai to open up, though.

"Oh, don't worry, I won't press too hard," he shrugs, as he takes a sip of the sake. It's not bad sake, really, nice clean taste. Better be, for the massive price list. "...oh gods, that came out wrong, let's just...uh..." He looks around for the waiter to order more, and thinks of a better idea just looking at all the pretty life enjoying their meals... "drat, look at everybody here. People from all over, across the oceans, across dimensions, and we're all chowing down and having a good time on a Monday night. Really makes you think, huh? L*******t was full of it. They aren't unknowable ineffable creatures that make people's heads explode. Deep down here..." he taps a finger on his chest. "...and up here..." he taps his head--pointedly it's near the base of his skull, where he THINKS the Tager symbiote would lodge itself, right on top of all manner of hormone glands. "...we're all alike all over the multiverse, huh?"

As if to demonstrate, he takes his chopsticks and takes a big chuck of shu mai out of one of the bamboo baskets, watching Tai and Bei for their reaction. Hopefully the message got through--"I don't care if you have Ta'ge symboiotes in you, you're still good people to me."

If you can't tear them down, then butter them up. Lutwidge is trying to use Rapport to place "People are Alike All Over"!
[20:45:57] <Davin_Valkringle> !r 4dF+3
[20:45:58] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkringle, /+-++3 = 4

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Howard was a twitch!" Lutwidge repeats, louder and more vigorously, before downing a sake cup of his own. He taps it down on the table and sighs contentedly. "Lucky us we took public transit here. Whoo!" After throwing up his hands in a cheer, he leans forwards, placing his chin on the back of one hand, and cocks his head. "Now look at this. Look at all these people. Just hanging out and enjoying life. What's so important that a bunch of people are willing to mess up all of that?" The certain group being, of course, the Cult of the Fang. It's not accusative or anything, more...questioning, really. Like asking the waiter what the specials are. "They aren't L*******t bigots, they aren't people of hatred. So why choose Taiwan for your...ah...?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"How many people...you mean by numbers or just how many in general?" Lutwidge voices his question, then lowers his voice and draws himself in closer. "Something I noticed about your Ta'Ge things...they seem really weak when they first draw themselves out of the egg. I'm not sure if they could...convert anybody who could even passively resist. So maybe it has nothing to do with the eggs. What is this other...affair you mentioned, Tai?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"But how would you convert everyone in the city with eggs modified to be less aggressive?" Lutwidge presses, with a bit more ardent force in his voice. "It doesn't make any--"

*CRASH*

"What the--!"

He instinctively draws his coat and the tablecloth around him, as if a thin chemically-treated labcoat with a linen overlayer could protect him from flying glass. Okay Lutwidge, think! Bei and Tai can probably handle them physically...if they can transform in time. Which...might not happen, depending on what kind of tricks these soggy yoggies can pull out of their robes. So next question! What can he do to keep the soggy yoggies from interfering with the Tagers? Uhm...maybe some yelling?

He scuttles under the table, produces his smartphone, flicks on the megaphone amplifier app and the EZ Necronomnon app, and starts screaming in tongues.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE BEYOND FROM BEYOND ARE YOU IDIOTS DOING?!

Objective is to use Provoke to try to draw their attention away from the tagers and towards this mysterious superior-sounding voice. Ready? Go!
[21:53:19] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[21:53:20] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, //+++2 = 4
FINALLY! A good roll!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 6, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Yes! It worked perfectly! Bought enough time for Bei and Tai to finish the Digital De*** S*** act and go to town!

Except not on all of them. Lutwidge recoils back from the knives aimed at his much too pretty torso. Come on, Miskatonic suggested calisthenics breaks, don't fail me now!

[18:44:29] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[18:44:30] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /-+-+2 = 1 They get a boost.

They very nearly do, as a big chunk of dinner shirt goes flying as one knife hits the buttons. "Gah! That shirt was expensive! You soggy jerks! I'll...I'll...!"

He reaches up to the table top, hoping to grab something big and nasty as a weapon. Maybe a knife or a sharpened skewer! His hand comes to rest around a...

...china teapot? Eh, the tea's still steaming hot. "Order up!" he shouts as he flings the liquid...and then the china...at a soggy face.

Fight's on! [18:53:41] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[18:53:42] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /+/-+3 = 3

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

If that takes them out, I don't need a boost.

"Wait...that actually worked?" Lutwidge stares at the slapstick results of his china bomb. "I mean uh...I'm a scientist! I calculated beforehand that it would work!" He crows it with a facetious but confident tone; the people need the reassurance. "Now imagine what I can do with a cleaver! Mansa et Mensa!" Oh god, that's not Latin at all, Lutwidge! He indicates the monstrous, but rapidly reverting to human, Bei and Tai with an outstretched arm, like a showman. "Thank you, thank you! They're with me! We're happy to have entertained you at tonight's dinner theater, thank you, thank you!"

Without bothering to see the reaction, he draws Bei and Tai closer to him when they untransform. "Okay, external interrogation session over! Let's make sure they're all out for the count, then head out the back!"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Ah, and there's the National Police," Lutwidge says as he makes a show of looking at his smartphone. "A bit late. Alright, Bei, Tai!" He waves. "You guys are technically supposed to be prisoners, so let's get scarce and start regrouping. I think some of my colleagues are at the Night Market...and judging by the news, sounds like they've got company too! So let's go!"

With one last bow to the civilians, he jogs out the back entrance and heads out onto the street level. Bei and Tai follow shortly behind him. He's not really keeping a close eye on them, to be honest...he's more interested in the show taking place in front of him!

"Huh...these guys supposed to be friends of yours?...oh, son of a...!"

Oh my. Tagers and cultists and racist...uh...he can swear he recognizes that particular infection pattern from SOMEWHERE. Solothi...Solothian something...he racks his head. Were they like Tagers or closer to Shubby shrubbery...?

Come on, Lutwidge, tell me how best to take these guys down! Some quirk of biology, some repeating mindset?
[21:53:00] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+5
[21:53:01] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /-/-+5 = 3
[21:53:26] <Davin_Valkri> Invoke my Xenobiology Doctorate-in-Training for a reroll!
[21:53:28] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+5
[21:53:29] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +/-/+5 = 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Uh...ah..." For all of Lutwidge's thinking, some of these Yog-Sothoth variants were still a bit odd to him. The Solothian Regression infectees especially. Yog Soggy was never his favorite anyways--he preferred the strange life of Shub-Niggy from day one! Oh, hey, it's one of Amaryllis' things.

"Hey, Amy!" He waves in the direction of the little black globule thing--so cute! It's like a oversized piece of living tapioca--before watching the master of it skitter off to the north. "Bye Amy! Okay, uh...I should probably work on getting you guys back to HQ. Just for uh, you know...so my boss doesn't scream my head off...can she do that? Literally, I mean..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Digging up dirt on somebody may be a bit far afield from straight xenobiology, but research is research, and it does sound right up Lutwidge's alley. "Just leave it to me, Art!" he declares happily as he tries--and just BARELY succeeds--in dragging the Sothothian over his shoulder. "Aaaaaaargh...this guy is...heavy! Umph!"

-------

Oh hell, my boss is trying to scream my head off! Lutwidge flinches as Ruby starts yelling in his face. "It wasn't a dinner date!" He tries to defend himself. "It was extraordinary rendition! I just didn't leave the country! And we drew off some cultists at the restaurant! And they're willing to talk to me about the cult's plans! And I can help find information on your jammer, aaaaaaaaa!"

Is it Rapport or Deceive to get Ruby off Lutwidge's back? I'll roll Decieve; add one if it's Rapport.
[22:33:47] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[22:33:48] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, ///-+2 = 1 Uh oh

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 4-3/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Aaaaah, crud. This is not the reception Lutwidge was expecting when he got back to the whoa whoa ow ow boss stop pulling on me yikes!

Once he's properly inside, he watches Tai and Bei get carted wayyy off to the side, and then bites his lip at all the signs of gunfire in the lobby. And at the guns. Then he turns to the unconscious cultist. Who is now conscious. And who looks just as freaked out as he feels, either from the rifles pointed at his head or the sight of Lutwidge's boss.

"Whoa, whoa, hey hey!" Lutwidge yells, pushing the two nearest gun barrels to the side. "Can we tone it down a bit?!" He walks closer to the hostage, pushing down shotguns and rifles as he goes. "Can we, you know, not have an accident in here?" It's part genuine concern, and part calculated "good cop, bad cop(s)" act, and he's not really sure how much of each is going on. When he finally gets to the prone cultist, he leans over on his hands and knees.

"Hey there," he says, head tilted to the side. "You look like you've had quite a night. Hoo, it's warm in here, isn't it. Probably have your friends to thank for that, what with the scorching and all." He slides off his labcoat with a wave. Then he kneels down, and leans over. It might or might not be a coincidence that his top shirt button has fallen open. "Hey, I'm a college guy, I know how it is. You go out with your friends, you have a few to drink, you start talking about the all powerful...power of good ol' Yog Sothoth, you have a few more, you start thinking about how many six-year old Mi-Gos you could take in a fight, you have a few too many, and before you know it, you and your buddies start trashing the place like you're going to sack it! Yeah, well...we don't like that around here. As you can probably guess by all the guns around! And we'd like to make sure that it doesn't happen again!

"So...what made you decide to go out for a night on the town? Oh, by the way, I knocked out two of your friends with a china teapot--ask them!" He points at Bei and Tai with a thumb. "Sooooo...you might not want to lie to me when I can grab a gun. Y'know how it is."

Lutwidge is just this side of being a cultist, so it probably makes sense that his interrogation method is to buddy-buddy Rapport with them when he has the chance!
[20:40:34] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:40:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --+-+3 = 1
Reroll with Sufficiently Advanced Thinking...
[20:42:01] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:42:01] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, -//-+3 = 1
...reroll with Too Sexy for my Labcoat...!
[20:42:36] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+3
[20:42:37] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, /++-+3 = 4
And one more on Bachelor by Learning, Bachelor for life to make it clear that this is just a nice casual conversation, not an interrogation, and make it +6!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge is so good at multitasking he can listen to the prisoner spill his weaselly black guts and read the info streaming in to his PDA at the same time! He bites his lip a bit when he sees the sort of people Yoggy Soggy attracts to his side--there but for the power of science go I?--but he gets over it fast. He's not the one being interrogated right now, after all.

"That sounds...curious," he starts when he turns back to the cultist prisoner person. "What makes you so certain that people would want to join up with the guys who just trashed their--" *ring ring!* "--oh, that's mine, hang on!"

With all the casualness of youth, he walks out of the circle of guns and towards the front of the building for better reception. "Hello! Hey Jed! Yeah, I've been talking to one of them now! They wanna summon Yoggy Soggy! Er, Yog Sothoth! Those Tager eggs we found on the ship were supposed to be given to volunteer collaborators after--is there something going on in the background over there?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"What kind of 'otherdimensional beings' are we talking about here?" Lutwidge asks with a gesture, as if his PDA had holovideophone tech. "Like, Mi-Gos, Deep Ones...Oh, well fine then! I'll just have to ask him myself!" He shoves the PDA back into his pants pocket and turns back into the ring of guns surrounding the cultist.

"Right, you said you were going to summon Yoggy Soggy. I'm going to need a date, a time, and any sort of...accessories...you need to do so. Especially living ones. Actually..."

He pulls his PDA out of his pocket, flips to the EZ Necrononnom Tome app, and starts putting down search restrictions for a Yog Sothoth ritual.

"Come to think of it, I could probably find most of the generalities on this thing. But then you would be useless and my boss would champ at the bit to have you taken out back and shot, SOOOO..." he smiles politely. "I'm going to say a word or a clause. It's going to have something to do with summoning something from outside this universe. And I want you to say all the details that come to your mind when you hear it. That'll help us immensely and get my boss off your back...and mine. Ready? Okay, 'ritual space'..."

Lutwidge is going to dig up all the details he can with the help of his new cultist friend and his smartphone! It's a very messy SCIENCE, rituals: 4dF+3 3

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Okay, city center...a place the size of a city block...maybe a park...?" Lutwidge taps and hums away at his digitized Necronomicon archive. Then he frowns. "Okay, new words, buddy. 'Sacred Idols', 'Blood Sacrifice'..."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 1+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"I'm sorry, did you say 'Great Old One'?" Lutwidge stops tap tap tapping away at his phone to look up. "Like, you're going to...well...that explains...hmm...root access...decrypt..."

I'll take the compel!

...Dunwich...the Whateleys...? Why was his boss hiding all this useful information behind encryption and security and all that stuff? "Ah, here we are!" he suddenly calls out as he holds out the phone triumphantly. "Thanks for all your help. Now we know what's going on...of course this would've been a lot easier if Miskatonic hadn't locked away half of this stuff on a LAN, had to get a remote external am I saying this out loud?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge has spent the time he SHOULD have spent washing up for the tager dissection staring at his new disciplinary record. It's, well...pretty long. Even before the incidents of the last day or so. Now it's...

"I should register a complaint over these!" He says to no one in particular. "What do you think, Spacecrab? Should I rail against this?" He sighs and gets up and heads to the sink. "I need to take my mind off this. Time to start cutting!"

He washes, grabs a laser scalpel, and begins to cut at a tager flesh...and the blade promptly burns out.

"Heh?! How the...okay, heavy artillery time! Where's the concrete saw?!"

I think I'll sit on my two minor milestones for now.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

"Wah!" Lutwidge shields his eyes from the explosions and shoves away some sensitive looking equipment. "Warn me when you're going to do that, buddy! This stuff is expensive!" *Ring ring!* "Like that! That's laptop's expensive! Hey Amaryllis, Spacecrab got it open! He had to blow the shell up!"

And with that he smoothly transitions back into the happy dissecty mode. "Okay, Ammy, shoot any questions you got. Now let's see here...wow, this is a lot of musculature...two hearts...geez, the nerves on this guy are like fiber optics!" He reaches in up to his shoulder. "Now where's...that...symbiote...?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO

Lutwidge gives a bit of a tug, and pulls the symbiote out of the body like a fisherman hauling up a big catch! Tadah! Victory! ...what is that smell? And is it still twitching?!

"Hoy, spacecrab!" he calls out as he transfers the matured organism to a lined tray. "Watch that for a sec, will ya? I'm going to get out the immature versions."

As he turns to the labratory refridgerator, he continues talking to Amaryllis. "Well, we know they're with the Order of the Fang. But those guys are crazy decentralized. And I'm guessing from the attacks yesterday that they have some connection with Yog Sothoth...hey, is that the Big Man himself over there? Gimme a sec..."

He sets the specimen jars on the table and walks over to the intercom. "Attention, guard post A! Send down the detainees for a routine medical checkup, would ya! Bei, Tai, and, uh...Cthylla as well! We forgot to screen them yesterday, and I want to make sure they haven't gotten something infectious!" He lets go of the button. "Hope they still trust me after last night..."

No more plants in the Misky servers. Sad days.

I guess it's time to go double plus HUMINT. And maybe Cthulhu can see his daughter through the webcam? Lying again (Deceive +2): 4dF+2 2

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO
Mild: On Cthulhu's poo poo List

"Uh, sure thing, Mr. Ry'leh, sir," Lutwidge manages to gulp as he raises a finger to his lab coat's collar. What is this strange sinking feeling in his chest? Is it...fear? Of what?! Cthulhu's not going to kill him--he's not the one who did anything to his daughter! So why does he feel so tight around his neck? "Uh, we'll make sure she's fine. Yeah..."

Focus on something else, Lutwidge! Do something with your mind that isn't thinking about the big man on the floor above while Bei, Tai, and Cthylla are coming down! Uh...right, the cultist ritual site! He calls up a map of the city again...this is Yog Sothoth we're talking about here, so it can't just be a parking lot. The site would have to be home to a lot of life...hmm...where on the map would that fit...?

Lutwidge will also use his baseline Science of +3--maybe geology, or demographic biology, or something--and try to make a stab at what the site should be. I'll compel Sufficiently Advanced Thinking Indistinguishable from Madness to get in on the brainstorm.
Science for the Brainstorm!: 4dF+3 5 Hmm...it's all yours, Spacecrab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Lutwidge Aspen FP 5+1/5
Phys OOO
Ment OOOO
Mild: On Cthulhu's poo poo List

"Why, thank you, Spacecrab!" Lutwidge nods cheerfully to the space crustacean. "Getting a name on the ritual narrows it down!" He leans on the counter by his laptop and turns to Amaryllis. "So...the act of cutting...? Hmm...the earth...are there any sites in Taiwan associated with clea--no, no, wrong word!" He places his palm to his face. "Cutting! Not cleaving, cutting!" He taps his hands on the table. "Uh...like a fishmonger's! Or an abattoir or meatpacking district! Something!"

Somewhere on the map? (Science): 4dF+3 1

Cthulhu's stare is still shaking him. "Argh, nothing's coming to mind...!"

• Locked thread