Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To put things in perspective, even the oceangate guys knew not to build their submarine out of wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Dyneema as rigging is interesting, but I feel like it wouldn't last as long. I very well could be wrong though.

Chafe is the main enemy, think about your jib sheets dragging around your stays during tacks and how long a piece of dyneema would stand up to that. One of the few downsides of dyneema is it has a relatively low melting point, which doesn't bode well for chafe resistance. There are various ways to combat this like chafe sleeves, etc. but you still need to be extremely diligent.

There was some question about how well dyneema would hold up to UV, I don't have links handy but I have seen some studies where after multiple years of UV exposure the dyneema still had >80% of its rated breaking strength. What has been observed is that the outer strands are weakened but they protect the inner ones so the degradation is stable after a couple years. Since it's static and there's (ideally) zero chafing those outer strands aren't disturbed. And since it's so light there's not really any penalty to sizing it such that the load rating is several multiples of the expected loads.

In fact there are more benefits to oversizing because the other downside to dyneema is c r e e p. Nobody likes creeps. Dyneema is not very stretchy (don't use for dock lines) but it does creep under tension. With any new line you're going to get constructional stretch, where you're pulling all the fresh, supple strands tight for the first time. Elastic stretch happens under load, and when the load is released the line returns to its original length. When a line is under constant it will permanently elongate, which is creep. This isn't very convenient when you make your dyneema stays and get your rig all tuned and when you come back in a week everything is loose so you retune it and the next week it's slack again but you reused the turnbuckles from your old wire rigging and they're bottomed out. Oops. Oversizing the line helps quite a bit. The more % of breaking strength the load is, the more creep you get. There are some variants of dyneema (ex: SK99, Dux) that are heated and stretched during manufacturing that have quite a bit less creep, or more accurately have been 'pre-creeped'.

There is one argument in favor of dyneema rigging on a cruising boat and that's the ability to very easily splice a new stay if you do have a failure (and notice before the rig goes over). I certainly would bring a few hundred feet of dyneema along if I were sailing offshore on any boat for that reason.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also dyneema rigging can save a pile of weight aloft.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

To put things in perspective, even the oceangate guys knew not to build their submarine out of wood

I was wondering where Oceangate would be on a scale of one to 'can find time for a wooden boat'.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Based on thread findings from last page it would be a 3

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I think dyneema for boats under 30' is a slam dunk as long as you're staying coastal. At that size, especially with the pre stretch heat set stuff, the stretch is imperceptible. But more importantly, you can do all your own standing rigging with basic tools

Our Catalina 25 is currently in the driveway and the mast is down on waste-high sawhorses. I have a must-do list, but on the bonus list is replacing at least the lower shrouds with dyneema, especially since one of the deck-end swage fittings is a little bent.

The boat mostly lives on the Chesapeake, but we trailer it home for the winter, to the marina in the spring, and 1-2 trips during the summer, so the mast is stepped and unstepped a handful of times per year by the two of us. We've managed to shave at least an hour off the process on both sides with small changes here and there, but a large chunk of time is still spent trying to wrangle wire rigging and keeping it from getting tangled. Being able to wrap dyneema up into neat bundles would make the process much less painful.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

On a scale of 1 to Oceangate how bad an idea is it to get a well-kept 1960s wooden sailboat for typical great lakes sailing season usage? I don't have any experience maintaining wooden boats but can find time to do my own upkeep and can buy some books to figure things out gradually. Recent survey is positive. I've seen a bunch of plastic boats lately but none have pulled at my heartstrings like this one.

Post history tldr is that this would be my first owned boat but I have sailing experience.

How attached are you to your marriage?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but;

If I want to change from 12v to 24v the existing 12v sized wiring should already be more than competent for carrying the loads, right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yup :eng101:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Is this the right thread to ask about fixing up an old plywood mirror dinghy? It's been sat in a dry garage for almost 20 years but before that got left outside for a winter and filled with water, which caused the trailer supports to push up into the bottom of the hull a bit. The upper mast has also split a bit along what looks like a glue line. Other than that the sails are all in good condition, the lines feel solid and nothing sounds rotten when I tap it.

I think at the very least I need to strip the hull paint and varnish off so I can actually check the underlying wood.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hot take: get some El cheapo white latex paint from the "returns" shelf at your local megastore to patch up the largest scratches and take it to the local lake and go row it 500 ft away from shore and back again and see if it leaks more than 5 gallons of water (see thread title) and from where

Patch up any leaks you can see daylight though. If that all works, work on getting it sailing again. Probably if the wood passes the tap test, it's totally fine.

If you actually sail it once or twice, your willpower to actually strip and repaint the boat to a satisfactory degree will be a lot higher

Sniff around the local marina there might be an aluminum mast waiting for you. I'd focus on getting it rowing, then sailing, then take on grueling tasks like sanding very last

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about fixing up an old plywood mirror dinghy? It's been sat in a dry garage for almost 20 years but before that got left outside for a winter and filled with water, which caused the trailer supports to push up into the bottom of the hull a bit. The upper mast has also split a bit along what looks like a glue line. Other than that the sails are all in good condition, the lines feel solid and nothing sounds rotten when I tap it.

I think at the very least I need to strip the hull paint and varnish off so I can actually check the underlying wood.

Ooh I sunk one of those once. From the outside. By bumping my dinghy into them when we were both waiting behind a start line for the race to begin.

Their boat was rotten and the little knock punched a slot into their hull just above the waterline :whitewater:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Hot take: get some El cheapo white latex paint from the "returns" shelf at your local megastore to patch up the largest scratches and take it to the local lake and go row it 500 ft away from shore and back again and see if it leaks more than 5 gallons of water (see thread title) and from where

Patch up any leaks you can see daylight though. If that all works, work on getting it sailing again. Probably if the wood passes the tap test, it's totally fine.

If you actually sail it once or twice, your willpower to actually strip and repaint the boat to a satisfactory degree will be a lot higher

Sniff around the local marina there might be an aluminum mast waiting for you. I'd focus on getting it rowing, then sailing, then take on grueling tasks like sanding very last

I'm fairly sure there are no proper leaks because it got left outside last week while we were doing some work in the shed and I had to bail an entire boatful of rainwater out after.
The other problem is I currently have no way of getting it to water. The Skoda in the background doesn't have a tow hook and getting one fitted is more than I can really justify spending right now, and my other car is electric and not rated for towing at all. So stripping paint is easier than begging friends or family to tow me to a lake.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Yeep posted:

I'm fairly sure there are no proper leaks because it got left outside last week while we were doing some work in the shed and I had to bail an entire boatful of rainwater out after.
The other problem is I currently have no way of getting it to water. The Skoda in the background doesn't have a tow hook and getting one fitted is more than I can really justify spending right now, and my other car is electric and not rated for towing at all. So stripping paint is easier than begging friends or family to tow me to a lake.

Upside down on a roof rack?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am now the owner of a 38' Bayliner.
:tif:

I will be living on it for a couple months, which will be quite a challenge considering I don't think I have ever stayed overnight in a hotel room that small.

It needs some work and a friend is already queueing up to buy it off of me when I can go back to living on land so there's that at least.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I feel like there's quite a story that has led you to this point, but I'll settle for pics of the boat.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Cat Hatter posted:

I feel like there's quite a story that has led you to this point, but I'll settle for pics of the boat.

you know we're gonna get both.

Also the V-berth is basically a queen sized bed

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Not if we don't show engagement!

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

bloody ghost titty posted:

Also the V-berth is basically a queen sized bed
I bought a 5th wheel to live in but it needs more work than I anticipated so, at the last moment, a friend loaned me cash to buy a boat.
Another friend (who is a boat person, that looks like captain ron, and is the one who wants to buy it when I am done) pointed out that it's rare when a good idea involves buying a boat.

I will take a picture or two the next time I go visit it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

well I'm sure the boat won't need any more work than the 5th wheel.

surely.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're gonna live on the boat in the winter, that means probably running an electric heater near-constantly

After about an hour (half hour? 10 minutes?) of running the heater go out and feel how warm the cable is where it connects to the boat and also the shore. Old cables can have loose connections and ultimately cause a fire.

A goon friend of mine was living on my boat and burnt up (literally) the shore power connector running the heater, using an inherited, probably 20 year old cable. Fortunately the replacement part was only about $99 and the scorch marks were on the inside of a rarely used lazarette

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

surely.
I know, right? It is in a substantially more livable state however.

Hadlock posted:

If you're gonna live on the boat in the winter, that means probably running an electric heater near-constantly
I am in california, winter is a relative concept. Also, I should be fine; I am leaving a victorian house with no insulation and an insanely inefficient heater that is prohibitively expensive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My advice comes as a bay area goon. The electrical fire happened during February or March, and the goon was originally cold-adapted from Wisconsin. Good luck

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

surely.

:laffo:

Surely.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is your annual (half yearly if saltwater) reminder to exercise every zipper on your boat

I will not be taking questions at this time

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hadlock posted:

This is your annual (half yearly if saltwater) reminder to exercise every zipper on your boat

I will not be taking questions at this time

How many birds fell out this time?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cross postin'

Hadlock posted:

Stad Amsterdam is scheduled to sail under the Golden Gate bridge tomorrow at.... Guessing, 9am. Current ETA to port says 10am

https://www.stadamsterdam.com/en/reis/san-francisco-tokyo/

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:268809/mmsi:246494000/imo:9185554/vessel:STAD%20AMSTERDAM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stad_Amsterdam

This is a proper "golden age of sail tall ship" or as close as you're gonna get these days

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

How many birds fell out this time?

The piece of string holding that part of the mainsail cover that ties it together that I've been nursing for 8 years finally got lost so it's flapping and haven't seen any yet edit: this year

durabrand107
Mar 17, 2007
Spill Resistant Design
Always makes me sad when people link marinetraffic, reminds me of having the conversation of hosting our AIS mapping web app with a free version, then I would see people linking a product I work on. Though tbh marinetraffic is probably much better.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
After being on a waiting list for about 5 years I finally got the mooring I wanted :toot:

Previously the boat has had its winter spot on the hard in an inland city on a lake and its summer mooring out by the sea, because of <reasons>. The distance between the two is about 100 nautical miles and the trip involves a lock and passing several low bridges that open once an hour. We've typically dedicated an extended weekend, Friday through Sunday, to moving the boat once every spring and fall.

The new mooring does both in the same place and is also within cycling distance from my home, which is gonna make it a lot more fun to work on the boat (getting to either of the previous spots involved at least an hour of traveling, or more like an hour and a half if I was taking public transit, which I almost always did). It's not even that much more expensive. :stoked:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 7, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm taking my boat somewhere to get the hull cleaned next month. They said to remove the shrink wrap before I bring it there or they'll charge me 100 bucks to do it.
Can I just cut that poo poo off with a knife or is there some special poo poo I need to do?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
A knife should be fine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

I'm taking my boat somewhere to get the hull cleaned next month. They said to remove the shrink wrap before I bring it there or they'll charge me 100 bucks to do it.
Can I just cut that poo poo off with a knife or is there some special poo poo I need to do?

It's easy to do, but generates a big pile of trash that they have to store and pay to toss out. DIY it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess they secretly splashed Tally Ho sometime this afternoon