Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The foils arrived on July 4th. What a lucky FedEx driver!! The buddy with the Liquid Force connection is working on "7 days to be pro". Have tried a myriad of methods--running along the pier and jumping on the board, a bungie cord launcher, riding behind a 17.5' I/O, riding behind a 19' ski boat, and we'll give it a shot behind a weighted wakeboard boat tomorrow.

So far the foils have been a ton fun. Running along the pier and hoping on the board is a work out--best pumping has been about 50 meters. The bungie launcher was a lot of work to setup, is probably going to hurt someone when it breaks, and we haven't quite figured out how to get a clean launch.

The goal of the pier launch is to catch the wake of a boat going by. Turns out the timing is pretty darn tough to catch the wake...

When riding behind the boat--the 17.5' I/O does not quite generate enough power in its wake to ride with the current front foil blade. Thinking if the foil blade has a little more surface area it will be easy to do. The idea being instead of needing a giant 22' to 24' boat with wake shapers to inland surf--you can surf off the 2nd roller of just about any boat. The current front foil has 1100cm2 of surface area. The thinking is is a bigger wing in the 2000cm2 range will make riding behind an I/O possible--we will see.

Riding behind the 19' skiboat was pretty easy. Dialed in the speed (right at 11 to 12 mph), added a few people to the boat, and it was pretty easy to throw the handle and ride between 1st and 2nd wakes.

With the wakeboard boat tomorrow we will see if it possible to move between two different boat wakes. First we will run two side by side. And if we can get that done--we'll try switching and going in the opposite direction. i.e. the 2nd boat is driving in the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I tried picking up wakeboarding again for the first time in like 20 years (and I was bad 20 years ago). I don't know if it's better gear, the availability of youtube instructional videos, or what, but I am already better than when I was a youngin. Was doing surface 180s and sad little jumps both direction

e: there is one foil on my lake that I see. Pulled behind an older V drive inboard (like a MC maristar 230, I think).

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

oops!
https://www.facebook.com/alex.stewart.9421/videos/2725755084193201/?t=0

(video of large boat mating ritual)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if I should post this in the boats thread or regatta thread

Has anyone looked at upgrading from a deep cycle lead acid battery to a lifepo4 (boat lithium) battery? Right now we have 2 x 65 amp hour lead acid batteries, which we replaced at a cost of $155 EA... $310 for both plus tax, and each one weighs 90 lbs

65ah 12v = 32ah usable etc etc

You can buy a 100ah lifepo4 for $800 these days, which has ~95ah usable power, and weighs about 20 lbs, AND it has a 10-15 year life span, vs 3-4 for lead acid

Weight is a premium on my boat, Knocking ~75lbs would be awesome, 150 lbs would offset all the "wife gear" weight penalty I'm seeing

I guess, if you're going to have the boat for 5+ years the dollars add up to buy the lithium battery? Thoughts?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I guess, if you're going to have the boat for 5+ years the dollars add up to buy the lithium battery? Thoughts?
I don't have a boat currently but I've seen a number of reports from people that have them.

Yes, it's worth it. Beyond just the usable amp-hours advantage. You can pull significantly more current from one--i.e. if you wanted to run an electric kettle or hair dryer you totally could. You can charge them much faster from shore power (if that matters). etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah it's definitely superior technology, no argument

We want to get into more ocean racing, and a 19 hour race is capable of draining both batteries to 50%. 50% is the point where you start doing permanent damage to the battery. Since then I've added a second nav computer, plus two more (three if you count the replacement nema 0183 display that took a winch handle to the face) displays so looking for something that can handle 24 hrs.

The big, big difference with lithium is that charging efficiency is ~98-99% from 2% all the way to 98%, whereas lead acid drops from 95% efficiency at 80% to about 40% efficiency when you get over 82%

If you're on solar, the big big advantage is that you're gonna top off your batteries by 4pm, rather than constantly running at 88% forever

Right now I just have a lovely tester 50w flexible panel to shake out the bugs in my solar system but looking to upgrade to a 200w panel at some point to do a Pacific/Hawaii crossing this next summer

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's the draft on that boat? Also -- I guess you have to swim to get back on board?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Safety Dance posted:

What's the draft on that boat? Also -- I guess you have to swim to get back on board?

Jumping on the front if possible would be my choice

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

1m to tip of prop. Theres a ladder integrated in the bow spit so even my wife gets on and off easily when moored bow-to as we do up here

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Heck yes, just had a Zoom to work out the details of buying an 83 Catalina 25, our first boat! Doing paperwork Saturday and then sinking it and drowning in the Chesapeake sometime next week while moving it a few hours North.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

1m to tip of prop. Theres a ladder integrated in the bow spit so even my wife gets on and off easily when moored bow-to as we do up here

Maybe my sense of scale is all messed up. it looks like the bottom of the ladder is very far off the ground to me.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Maybe my sense of scale is all messed up. it looks like the bottom of the ladder is very far off the ground to me.

Barrier to entry. Must be able to perform at least one chin-up.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Its not that big a boat :3:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think the ladder's just really narrow and that's confusing me. An adult is roughly twice the height of the railing up front? That's a reasonable climb.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Boat ladders are 80% scale. Just enough smaller to to ensure they’re always awkward.

Mad jealous of that pulpit ladder as I strap a hatchet to my life jacket and swim my tackle ashore.

Erwin posted:

Heck yes, just had a Zoom to work out the details of buying an 83 Catalina 25, our first boat! Doing paperwork Saturday and then sinking it and drowning in the Chesapeake sometime next week while moving it a few hours North.

Congrats!

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The fuel to water ratio from my fuel tank seems about right.

Time for a new fuel cap methinks, allthough the old one looks fine. Could be some ethanol phase separation going on too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Humbug posted:

The fuel to water ratio from my fuel tank seems about right.

Time for a new fuel cap methinks, allthough the old one looks fine. Could be some ethanol phase separation going on too.

your marmalade looks off

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I drained some from the water separator yesterday and it was fine. But now I have to bleed the system and poo poo just for that reassurance. Tried to order that filter with a glass bowl but they would'nt have it. Very cumbersome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can get knockoff raycor 500fg fuel filters for about $40 on ebay, apparently they work quite good. I have an official one so I wouldn't know, but yeah those water separators are fuckin' money. I bleed off about 3 fl oz of water every 6-8 months from the separator.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
It has a water separating filter. I drained more than two gallons of water(or ethanol, whatever it is) from the tank. Ain't no small boat water separators that can handle that much water. I drained the tank and I'm gonna refill it with ethanol free gas. Looks like the fuel lines have had some ethanol degradation too.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Rebuilding a 2007 Challenger and it’s motor and I am realllyyyyyy just over how insanely easy it appears for any jet ski motor to cover itself in rust. Exhaust valves constantly failing.

Fogging oil after every single trip might be necessary

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Taking possession of a cutter rigged Coronado 35 MS at the end of the month and then promptly gonna gtfo to the Bahamas. I'm pretty excited, ngl.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, the old take a hike forum has been rebranded as the great outdoors and is now for all wider outdoors pursuits including boating, jetskis and the like!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=272

Now, as much as my heart wants to keep the bote thread in AI (I mean, I was the one that made the OP, as terrible as it is), it would probably do better in a more general outdoors forum. People seemed surprised at times to find a thread for boating in the "car forum" or seemed to think that this thread was only for wrenching on boats. This thread rapidly evolved from my original idea of just posting cool boats and shaming myself into working on my boat into something cool with a bunch of goons suddenly coming in to talk about their sailboats and is now evolving again as goons talk about jetskis, motorboats and other stuff! Its been a pleasure to watch this thread going through its changes and I want to see it grow, but what happens has to be a thread consensus. Do ya'll want to stay in AI? Set sail for the great outdoors? Have this thread stay here for working on dumb boat issues and have a separate thread in TGO for actual boating adventures?

Whatever this thread decides, its been a pleasure to have ya'll in AI posting about our horrible holes in the water we throw money into.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

So, the old take a hike forum has been rebranded as the great outdoors and is now for all wider outdoors pursuits including boating, jetskis and the like!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=272

Now, as much as my heart wants to keep the bote thread in AI (I mean, I was the one that made the OP, as terrible as it is), it would probably do better in a more general outdoors forum. People seemed surprised at times to find a thread for boating in the "car forum" or seemed to think that this thread was only for wrenching on boats. This thread rapidly evolved from my original idea of just posting cool boats and shaming myself into working on my boat into something cool with a bunch of goons suddenly coming in to talk about their sailboats and is now evolving again as goons talk about jetskis, motorboats and other stuff! Its been a pleasure to watch this thread going through its changes and I want to see it grow, but what happens has to be a thread consensus. Do ya'll want to stay in AI? Set sail for the great outdoors? Have this thread stay here for working on dumb boat issues and have a separate thread in TGO for actual boating adventures?

Whatever this thread decides, its been a pleasure to have ya'll in AI posting about our horrible holes in the water we throw money into.

imo boats are vehicles and belong in the vehicle forum but I don't really care too much

eta: also isn't that a rotating subforum that changes every so often? I'd hate to lose a good thread.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It started as a rotating forum, but got enough early activity that it was made an actual forum and placed as a DIY subforum. The problem was that the activity slowed way down when that happened and outside of 3 threads, there wasn't much movement. It just got put up to a top level forum today to try to drum up more activity and interest. There are a bunch of outdoors threads scattered around the forums that don't really have a home, so the mod/admin team feels that the interest is there. I'm going to be working with the wider forum to draw attention to it and hopefully get some jumper cables on this sucker. :science:

And if the forum fails to attract attention for whatever reason, we will be moving active threads to new home forums as suits them and boat threads would wind up in AI. I have no intention of letting the threads go down with the ship.

(These nautical puns are gonna kill me.)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Boat ownership is basically 50:1 wrenching to boating anyway, but an outdoors forum is cool for a general boating thread. This can be the rusty exhaust valve thread.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Karma Comedian posted:

Taking possession of a cutter rigged Coronado 35 MS at the end of the month and then promptly gonna gtfo to the Bahamas. I'm pretty excited, ngl.

Where in the Bahamas?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I guess if we have to move forums it's okay, but AI is the right spot for it Imo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm kinda feeling the whole 2 threads thing here. One for general boating adventures in TGO, one for fixing all the broken junk afterwards in AI.

EDIT: Alright, a general boating adventure thread is now up in The Great Outdoors: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933144

This thread will be staying in AI and I find it super awesome you wanted to hang out here with us still. :kimchi:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 18, 2020

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I prefer things to stay the way they were because i'm an old

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just excited for the opportunity to make you look at my boat in more threads

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think maybe keep two - one for wrenching in AI and another in Great Outdoors for people who go to bass pro shops

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Nevermind, from now on I'm only posting in the TCC boat thread about huffing varnish

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Had a fantastic sail on Saturday - wind was a bit higher than expected, 14ish knots sustained gusting to 25. We put the chute up and surfed the waves at 8+ knots downwind. A++ would sail again

Back upwind we were getting knocked down on the main only :v:. Probably could have gone faster if we pulled out the headsail, but I didn't feel like doing a headsail change and the 180 would have been quite a handful and the main probably would have just been flogging most of the time.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Life in Norwegian boating 2020: every guest harbour is 200% full at all times. Corona travel restrictions made the entire country go "hey i know let's go boating" in unison. Pictured is a not particularly busy moment in Stavern, our boat centre:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Update: I think the bulk of the herd is further south now, conditions are slightly less impossible. Currently in Tønsberg weathering some rain days.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

Update: I think the bulk of the herd is further south now, conditions are slightly less impossible. Currently in Tønsberg weathering some rain days.

Is your long term plan to just cruise around in Oslofjorden, or do you want to do any long distance trips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

What I want to and what the rest of the family will go along with are not always in sync. We're on our home leg now so won't be going further this year at least. We made it as far south as Risør, which isn't very far but at least it's technically sørlandet. :haw: