Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Slowly making my way through the thread, good to see other people throwing time and money into a floating black hole.
I've got a question, has anyone here got any experience with Parsun outboard motors? My dad myself and my brothers have bought a lakeside cottage and of course we absolutely need another boat for dicking around on. We're thinking of getting a rib, problem is the budget is tight as the cottage itself needs work and an extension, so we've looked at a 60hp Parsun that would be around €3000 cheaper than an equivalent outboard from the bigger names. Suzuki Yamaha Mercury Hondas are all up around 7 to 8 grand here in comparison. Or do we hold out and try pick up a decent second hand motor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My experience is people don’t replace boat motors unless they have to, ie the cost to repair is beyond just replacing it. And it’s unlikely that you’d be able to test run a 60hp that wasn’t installed on a boat easily so you’d be taking a leap of faith. Don’t recommend.

I have never heard of Parsun but I’d be pretty wary. Is it a clone of a more common outboard? Are parts interchangeable? If not, are they available?

I replaced the original motor on my Whaler, a 1988 Mercury 70, with a Yamaha 70 a couple years ago. So nice to go from a crusty, finicky piece of poo poo to absolutely trouble-free. Cost me about $9k, I installed it myself.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

That's exactly why I'd be wary of a second hand engine.
Parsun are a Chinese make, I don't know much about higher hp but at least in Ireland I've never seen them much. Seems like there more popular in NZ or Auz?

Anyway, if anyone has an idea I'm not going to pull the trigger till the new year.
Just going to edit and say I'm going to check what sort of warranty and spare parts the local dealership offers.

SomeDrunkenMick fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 26, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Remind me, was the AI outboard engine brand rankings (big-ish brands only):
suzuki
honda/yamaha
mercury
etec
?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’d put it:

Yamaha
Suzuki
Honda
Merc
Others

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yamahama
Rip johnson/evinrude
Merc/honda
Suzuki

They're all perfectly workable though

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It all depends on local dealer support.

Given equal support, I'd rank then thusly:
Suzuki
Honda
Yamaha (gently caress you VST filters and rotting mid sections)
Tohatsu (they make the small mercury OBs)
Mercury (except their small engines which are really nice)

However, Yamaha has the largest marine dealer network and parts are ubiquitous. Honda's are very reliable, but heavy and $$. Suzuki is exceedingly good, but has a smaller dealer network. Mercury is the kind of freshwater in the US, and there are a billion dealers inland, but kinda meh engines.

Evinrude

Used is a total crap shoot. It could be a motor that sat on the back of a sailboat or was a kicker (rarely used but often barely maintained) or it could have been one off my old company's (run 12 hours a day, 6 days a week for 45 weeks a year with good maintenance but a ton of hard labor). The only thing I'll remind any would-be outboard owner: This isn't a car where is something goes wrong, you coast to the shoulder and wait for a tow. Unless you're never leaving the harbor, your motor failing at sea could be literal life and death. Do your maintenance, learn your engine, and pay for a towing membership.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The market for 80s Tohatsu/Nissan longshaft 3 horseys is so loving laughable

because us J24 folks love them and they're the lightest, most reliable engine that meets class specs

We have a newer 2 stroke Merc on the Wavelength which has always been an awesome motor but it's been well maintained since new ~9 years old?

Don't forget about Torqueedos for something really small, too.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah suzukis are great, my dad had a 4hp suzuki for nearly 20 years on a small lake boat for fishing and we abused the poo poo out of it, I once broke all 3 shear pins I had with me in one day nosing in around shallows on a part of the lake I didn't know that well. About 8 miles from home, ended up pulling a few copper nails out of a wreck of a boat on the shore. Cut them down to size with a leatherman and they got me home. Well the first one broke but the second one did! Wish I had a photo of the prop on it, it was fairly chewed up, but in 20 years it never missed a beat apart from the occasional shear pin or dirt in the fuel. Traded it in against a 6hp Mercury last year and I'm kinda sorry he did, it was a great little engine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
We ran a Suzuki 140 for nearly 8000 hours. In all that time, it needed: water pumps, thermostats, props, plugs, fuel filters, a couple fuel lines, and a good injector cleaning and fuel pumps at 5k hours. We traded it in for a 200, and it was sold to a commercial shellfish farmer who probably got a few thousand more or of it. The 200 only went 4000 before being blown up by filling the lower unit with mud and ice in the frozen shallows and then ripping across the harbor... Overheated and warped the head, and deemed BER. Replaced with a 250 that got over revved at around the same hours, clobbered a mostly submerged log at full RPM with water-contaminated oil. The Yamaha 225 on my old boss's pleasure boat needed a VST filter every season, a LP fuel pump every two, and rotted the mid-leg at 2500 hours, which wasn't caught in time and wiped out the motor from oil loss. He replaced it with another 225, and had the same part fail but get caught early and replaced. They're supposed to be better now, but that was a bullshit fuckup on Yamaha's part and they never reimbursed us for any of it.

My wife's little work skiff has a new 15hp mercury with battery-less fuel injection. It's a sweet little motor, and I really like it. We're 2 seasons in on it, no problems at all. We ran various suzuki 4, 6, 9.9, and 15hp outboards commercially, and really liked them. They weighed less than Honda or Yamaha offerings, parts were cheap enough, and nothing was too awful to service. We also had a Tohatsu 6, and a couple propane Tohatsus which were good. Older Yamaha 25 was always a bear in the winter and liked to clog carbs. Honda 8 weighed more than a Suzuki 15 but had good power. Had a 15 Yamaha that weighed a ton and had a first gen auto choke that didn't work well, especially in freezing New England winters.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a Yamaha 90 thats almost as old as me. I'm pretty sure the actual fuel filter has never been changed, oem plug wires, etc. On occasion it gets some new plugs, an impeller, swap out the aftermarket spin on fuel water separator, fluids topped up then it gets wailed on mercilessly. Its been to another country, almost sunk twice, run into sand bars and just generally abused. A good little motor.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So BOSS is retired and PRB/Escoffier is lucky to be alive in the Vendee.
https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/11/30/kevin-escoffier-rescued-by-jean-le-cam/

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Crunchy Black posted:

So BOSS is retired and PRB/Escoffier is lucky to be alive in the Vendee.
https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/11/30/kevin-escoffier-rescued-by-jean-le-cam/

This is one of those articles where you really need to scroll down and read the related posts. They tell the stories from both of the racer's perspectives in separate posts.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I was sent here from the space megathread (this seems to be a recurring theme, I wonder why :v: )

Been sailing on and off for the last 15 years, mostly typical weekend/week sails along the east coast of Norway / west coast of Sweden, generally going on trips with my old man on his 1980s Mamba 29' and a 1999 Bavaria '34 he bought in 2018.

As fate would have it, my old man passed from cancer in October (gently caress 2020, folks), and I'm now taking care of the Bavaria until we can figure out what to do with it - more about that below.

My cousin and i sailed the boat to the winter berth close to where I live a couple of weeks ago, a beautiful 24 mile daysail with around 15-20 knots of wind, which came in handy since the Volvo Penta MD2020 has cooling issues (because of course it does).

A beautiful day on the water in late november:

The Horten-Moss ferries can be seen in the background. This area can be "fun" if you pass it at the wrong time.

With some wind - this was just about the peak we saw, topped out at 7.8 knots SOG around the same time just flying a small genoa:

One happy idiot:

Safely tied up:

I've been pondering buying my own boat for a while (a 30'-32' from around the same vintage as the 34'), but of course with covid, prices have increased a lot, so now I might just buy out my sister's stake in this boat instead.
There's a lot of maintenance that needs to be done - some that has been deferred for too long, and some that's just hitting now because it's 20+ years old, like replacing a lot of the running rigging and the mainsail is probably only good for another couple of seasons, depending on use.
My old man ordered a new 130% genoa before he passed, so that's all sorted out, and I figure I can deal with the cooling issues. I'm an EE so all the electrical poo poo is manageable (though I would love to keel-haul a certain previous owner :argh: )

I want to go long-distance cruising in the next few years, and at that point I will probably have to get a bigger boat. The 34' can't really fit enough bunkers and water tanks + water maker to go long distances, but that might just be me being a bit broken from serving a few years in the Navy...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was also sent here from the Space thread. And honestly am probably a bad fit for this thread, but the space thread was talking about the new Starlink Internet and the ability to go long distance sailing while using it to not be a complete hermit.

And to be honest, I've always kind of daydreamed about something like that. I like watching youtube videos about coastal foraging/camping on uninhabited islands and fishing, I'm introverted enough to be fine with the idea of being alone on a boat for weeks, and I'm on track to have enough money that it's not completely out of the question, if I didn't go overboard. In my not necessarily realistic daydream visions it basically involves sailing around, stopping at uninhabited islands and enjoying a little back to nature time with wild seafood, and spending the rest in the cabin with my computer, thanks to solar power and Starlink internet. It's a pleasant thing to imagine.

Of course, then cruel reality comes crashing down. I've never sailed a ship in my life - I've been on them, but always as a passenger. I suspect cruising around to uninhabited islands is much less practical than Youtube/TV makes it look (if it had a nice beautiful lagoon to anchor in someone probably owns it, at least). And of course being on my own on a ship means help is far away if something goes wrong. And while I will probably have enough money eventually that's at least ten years away and I'm 37 already - I probably won't be feeling quite as adventurous by then.

So if anyone has any thoughts/experience, feel free to crush my (day)dreams.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bremen posted:

if I didn't go overboard.

Yes, going overboard is generally considered bad.

quote:

Of course, then cruel reality comes crashing down. I've never sailed a ship in my life - I've been on them, but always as a passenger. I suspect cruising around to uninhabited islands is much less practical than Youtube/TV makes it look (if it had a nice beautiful lagoon to anchor in someone probably owns it, at least). And of course being on my own on a ship means help is far away if something goes wrong. And while I will probably have enough money eventually that's at least ten years away and I'm 37 already - I probably won't be feeling quite as adventurous by then.

I'm 33 and I've never sailed before either. My plan is to start taking lessons this spring. How Hard Could It Be?™

This idiot sailed from LA to Hawaii on a $10k-ish boat, sold that, bought another $10k-ish boat, and sailed from Florida to Maine and back, mostly solo. He's got some good videos of finding and hiking on uninhabited islands up in Maine. I don't know how to judge him as a sailor, but he seems to be able to get by. As a real adult in your thirties/forties, you could probably afford to get a bigger/nicer boat without straying into quarter million dollar territories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvo1dO3qPY

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Condolences on your dad Wibla.

Deferred maintenance can be a bitch. Getting good boat mechanics the past year seems to have been almost impossible with all the new boatowners. For the overheating, I would check the exhaust riser (blandebend), impeller and change closed loop coolant first. Those are all considered wear items.

I'm not sure what you mean by long distance endurance, but I would be somewhat cautious taking a Bavaria that size into the open sea. I'm ex Norwegian coast guard, and we had to rescue two guys in a boat similar to yours north of Bjørnøya. The rigging was smashed and the engine had died. I belive they had to contact us on a handheld VHF as the electronics had died as well. You'd probably want something larger and more robust for blue ocean travels, bunker notwithstanding.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bremen posted:

I was also sent here from the Space thread. And honestly am probably a bad fit for this thread, but the space thread was talking about the new Starlink Internet and the ability to go long distance sailing while using it to not be a complete hermit.

Nobody is a bad fit for this thread if they have any interest in boats and it sounds like you do! The usual advice here is to find a club racing sailboats and sign up to crew for a boat for a season to learn. I also know the coast guard (in the US) does some excellent training courses for new boaters that may be worth taking just to see how the actual basics of boating/boating safety hit you.

I've owned a boat, lived on one for a month or a two at a time and spent plenty of time as a passenger. Biggest thing I can say is to have plenty of experience on boats before you attempt what your end goal is. Know what you need to do AND WHY.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug posted:

Condolences on your dad Wibla.

Deferred maintenance can be a bitch. Getting good boat mechanics the past year seems to have been almost impossible with all the new boatowners. For the overheating, I would check the exhaust riser (blandebend), impeller and change closed loop coolant first. Those are all considered wear items.

I'm not sure what you mean by long distance endurance, but I would be somewhat cautious taking a Bavaria that size into the open sea. I'm ex Norwegian coast guard, and we had to rescue two guys in a boat similar to yours north of Bjørnøya. The rigging was smashed and the engine had died. I belive they had to contact us on a handheld VHF as the electronics had died as well. You'd probably want something larger and more robust for blue ocean travels, bunker notwithstanding.

Thanks! He was working on the roof just 3 weeks before he died, so at least he didn't spend months in the hospital before dying, that's a small relief in this lovely situation.

Deferred maintenance is 100% a bitch yeah, and I'm not super optimistic about finding a great mechanic these days, but the MD2020 is not terribly hard to work on, and a friend of mine is a chief engineer on a supply boat, so I can hopefully ask him for some help.
So far on my list: impeller, exhaust riser (eksosbend/blandebend), heat exchanger, sail drive - the impeller was changed last fall, but the raw water flow was still lacking, improved a bit after cleaning out the cooling passages in the saildrive earlier this year, but still far from where it should be. We changed the closed loop coolant earlier this year (way overdue). My old man was more used to the Yanmar 2GM that was raw-water cooled and didn't even have a proper strainer on the sea water inlet, so yeah... :v: I stayed below 1800 rpm for the time we had to use the engine, very happy that I chose the right day for our passage.

As for long distance sailing, I'm thinking the ARC and maybe the world ARC. I used to sail on frigates (KNM Trondheim from 2004 to 2005 and KNM Fridtjof Nansen* from 2006 to 2009), where I was Sjøbjørn crew, so I've done a bit of SAR work** - which is part of why I really would like a bigger boat for a trip like that. 42' and up will handle rough seas way better than a 34', plus a larger boat is more comfortable to live aboard for a longer duration.

*Decent frigates, but the crew on one of the later boats clearly didn't bother reading this book, as they should have...:

**We had a memorable incident in Skagerak during a NATO exercise where we picked up a dane from a 25' sailboat and ended up towing his boat to port while he got medical attention onboard KNM Trondheim. He bought the boat in Gøteborg, set a course for Skagen - but woefully underprepared and then suffered an epilepsy attack underway, knocking his head and losing consciousness for a while. We were initially alerted by the lead vessel of our formation that there was a "small boat that was drifting in our path", and our lookouts saw the guy flashing SOS with a flashlight at our ship... We were towards the rear of the formation, and I'm still puzzled that no one noticed the guy flashing his flashlight before we did, but that's par for the course I guess...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

This idiot sailed from LA to Hawaii on a $10k-ish boat, sold that, bought another $10k-ish boat, and sailed from Florida to Maine and back, mostly solo. He's got some good videos of finding and hiking on uninhabited islands up in Maine. I don't know how to judge him as a sailor, but he seems to be able to get by. As a real adult in your thirties/forties, you could probably afford to get a bigger/nicer boat without straying into quarter million dollar territories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvo1dO3qPY

Sam Holmes is my favorite youtube sailing channel. He's always so happy. He's planning an Atlantic crossing for next year so I imagine we'll get a look into his passage-making skills. He seems like a good sailor and definitely has good repair skills.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

I'm 33 and I've never sailed before either. My plan is to start taking lessons this spring. How Hard Could It Be?™

I live in Colorado, so probably pretty hard!

But yes, if I ever attempt to make my daydream reality I would definitely find some way to learn which side is starboard and a few other things first.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bremen posted:

I live in Colorado, so probably pretty hard!

But yes, if I ever attempt to make my daydream reality I would definitely find some way to learn which side is starboard and a few other things first.

You should be looking anyways, clubs will race on lakes too. You should be familiar with boats in general and extremely familiar with the one you are using. You should know what extra parts you need, you should know all the little foibles your craft has and you should know exactly how to deal with it.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Bremen posted:

So if anyone has any thoughts/experience, feel free to crush my (day)dreams.
I've been working toward this kind of dream for a while. It's actually a lot more possible than you'd think, but you need to really put in the work to learn sailing and get lots of experience maintaining and sailing your own boat.

Keep studying how other folks do it, keep saving, keep the dream alive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the early Sam Holmes stuff is pretty good, especially pre florida. One episode halfway across the Pacific he runs out of things to do and re-engineers/rebuilds his solar arch with cordless power tools.

Re: engine cooling, just as a sanity check, check your raw seawater filter, it should be near the seacock for cooling water ingress. If there's a plastic bag or shrimp colony in there, that will impact water flow. As mentioned before, impellers should be changed annually.

If you need encouragement about learning to sail etc, a programmer in his early 20s bought the left over hulk of an engineless Pearson 30 sailboat with two girls and they put a second hand mast in it and bummed around the Bahamas for three summers in between semesters in college, it's a little over an hour, but demonstrates, if a bit haphazardly, an approachable view of sailing

https://vimeo.com/15351476

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 8, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Re: engine cooling, just as a sanity check, check your raw seawater filter, it should be near the seacock for cooling water ingress. If there's a plastic bag or shrimp colony in there, that will impact water flow. As mentioned before, impellers should be changed annually.

Yeah, that's on my list as well - just forgot to mention it. I've had some fun with that before...

I figure I'll get an idea of how clogged the saildrive is (if it is clogged at all) when I winterize the engine, as I'll be running the raw water hose into a bucket with 50/50 antifreeze and fresh water :v:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Sounds like you are more on top of things than most boatowners I know. You will get on top off it no problem. While finding a mechanic is hard, getting someone qualified to work on leisure electronics seems basically impossible so you have a head start there :)

The dudes north of Bjørnøya where experienced, but IIRC one had cracked ribs from being flung around. I think it was about 40 knots wind which is fairly typical for the Barents sea. I can't remember the sea state. That sailboat just wasn't made for that stuff. Always keep respect for the sea my dudes.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Kenshin posted:

I've been working toward this kind of dream for a while. It's actually a lot more possible than you'd think, but you need to really put in the work to learn sailing and get lots of experience maintaining and sailing your own boat.

Keep studying how other folks do it, keep saving, keep the dream alive.

I wasn't thinking of an actual sailboat, just sailing in the general term. I actually started seriously daydreaming about it when my brother (who's much more into boats) mentioned new solar electric models were coming out.

If I seriously went for it, getting anywhere fast wouldn't be the goal, so the simplicity of not having to manage sails (and the danger of taut ropes) seemed like an advantage.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm just patiently waiting for the days of big electric outboards. That aren't fuckoff priced torqueedos.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug posted:

Sounds like you are more on top of things than most boatowners I know. You will get on top off it no problem. While finding a mechanic is hard, getting someone qualified to work on leisure electronics seems basically impossible so you have a head start there :)
The boat has to be ship shape, there's no loving around with that.

As long as I didn't gently caress the head gasket on the last trip, the cooling issues should be manageable, and I have a hookup for a welding shop that can overhaul the heat exchanger if need be. Will probably have to buy a new exhaust riser though, I seriously doubt it has ever been changed, and they are definitely not made to last 21 years :haw:

Working on boat electronics is a pain in the dick - 50% because previous owners are incompetent assholes and 50% because it's very hard to get new cables pulled to where you want them.

One of the bigger jobs on my list is to overhaul both of the anchor winches. The front winch motor is 100% toast, but the rear winch can be repaired easily (mechanical issue) - but of course the electronics is 21 years old so I have to check that too... Sigh.

Humbug posted:

The dudes north of Bjørnøya where experienced, but IIRC one had cracked ribs from being flung around. I think it was about 40 knots wind which is fairly typical for the Barents sea. I can't remember the sea state. That sailboat just wasn't made for that stuff. Always keep respect for the sea my dudes.
Cracked ribs seems like par for the course when conditions get that bad, it's very hard not to get knocked around. With 40 knots wind out there in the open ocean, the sea state soon follows suit... I'm pretty sure the Bavarias weren't classed for those conditions, heh.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm just patiently waiting for the days of big electric outboards. That aren't fuckoff priced torqueedos.

Yehhhh but those torqs are pretty sweet

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got a chance to sail on Lake Pleasant on a Santana 26 last month. That was a loving trip, really really deep canyon lake that allows the wind to funnel through very specifically, was blowing 15 gusting to 30. Much different than Lake Lanier which I thought was canyon-y, HAH.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I had never sailed before when I bought my first boat, a basically abandoned Wayfarer 26 sailboat. Hold Fast is great I also recommend this in the ‘inspirational clueless sailor’ genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP5IQxId34

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spotted near Oyster Point in South San Francisco:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh yeah we're getting close to King Tide season in SF bay

Dec 13-15 has both the lowest and highest tides of the year

There are a couple of wildly unsafe coal coastal mine tunnels near Baker Beach that you can explore for about 4 hours before they cave in on you fill back up with water for another 11 months

Mission @ Embarcadero in downtown ought to be half an inch under water as well

There are some mid year "queen tides" and we were dragging bottom in the Emeryville channel leaving the marina at low tide; typically even at low tide that channel is 10' deep and we draw 6.5' with our keel

Edit: Yeah both Dec 14/15 tidal range is -1.6 to +7.1 = 8.7' tidal range in 7 hours at golden gate bridge

Normally it's more like +1.0 to +5.0 = 4.0' tidal range, give or take, low being +1.0 as the bay is technically an outflow of ~2-3 largish rivers, depending on how you count

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 9, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Oh yeah we're getting close to King Tide season in SF bay

Dec 13-15 has both the lowest and highest tides of the year

There are a couple of wildly unsafe coal coastal mine tunnels near Baker Beach that you can explore for about 4 hours before they cave in on you fill back up with water for another 11 months

Mission @ Embarcadero in downtown ought to be half an inch under water as well

There are some mid year "queen tides" and we were dragging bottom in the Emeryville channel leaving the marina at low tide; typically even at low tide that channel is 10' deep and we draw 6.5' with our keel

Edit: Yeah both Dec 14/15 tidal range is -1.6 to +7.1 = 8.7' tidal range in 7 hours at golden gate bridge

Normally it's more like +1.0 to +5.0 = 4.0' tidal range, give or take, low being +1.0 as the bay is technically an outflow of ~2-3 largish rivers, depending on how you count

How quaint.

Eastport Maine and the whole Bay of Fundy would like a word. Next week, there's a 24.5 foot tidal swing in Eastport for the new moon. That poo poo is crazy, and Eastport isn't even one of the big spots in the Bay, it's just one of the only US ports in it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I used to live south of Seattle and a 9' tidal swing was a normal day, and then later I lived in Texas where the tidal range is less than 9 inches and all of the docks are fixed, not floating.

If the onshore breeze was too strong for too many days in a row the water would rise another 3" and would short out the electrics mounted under the docks. If a hurricane hit you boat would just float up and over the docks. My mom's boat still has a big gash on one side where it settled against the dock after hurricane... Ike? Rita? when the water finally receeded

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So the damage to Patriot is even worse than it looked. The foil bunk ripped out. Hull is compromised. I believe the rules allow them to pull Defiance out of mothballs?

e: holy poo poo. Yeah that's not buffing out. American Magic may be done.

ee: Found the America's Cup thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951407

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 17, 2021

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Fixing that by Friday seems a tall order. Hopefully they can somehow get back on the water. The american challenge couldn't have a much worse start.

The AC75s are super cool though. I really liked all the light wind shenanigans on day two. Thanks for the thread link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ ChemE
Dec 1, 2004

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Anyone have any recommendations for fuel additives?

I have a Evenrude 2-stroke outboard that isn't used much more than once every two months over winter. I fear the gas geting stale so I make sure to at least run the engine every so often if I'm not taking it out, and try to keep the tank topped off so I can avoid some moist air. Is there anything good to add to the fuel to stabilize it (Stabil, lol) or prevent gumming the fuel line from ethanol?