Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yikes. Sounds not terribly far off from my experience a few years ago going to look at a sailboat that wasn't at a broker's docks. Rode in a van with the broker for like 30 minutes from where I met him out to the owner's property that the boat was docked at, and similarly the photos had very cleverly avoided the many issues with the boat.

I've been watching the used boat market for 37-50' bluewater boats on the west coast for years and I'm getting to the point where I think I might be better off ordering a new Seawind 1160 in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll never understand why people try to pass off a fixer uper as something else in ads. You're just wasting everybody's time, including your own.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

Some photos.
Ahh okay so its just a lack of bulkheads. That actually tracks with 70s construction that I've seen, in general, the properties of fiberglass weren't really known and it was novel to *not* have to have bulkheads everywhere and also lack of regulation &&etc.

Femtosecond posted:

I uhh don't know what this dark grey thing is, but clearly something snapped off it at some point.

VHF antenna mount? And/or bimini mount, is there a similar one on the other gunwhale?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The boat lift got put in the boathouse yesterday.

Looks great, haven't been down there to check myself. Will be able to raise the boat up another foot or so once I fold the rest of the t-top down, but even halfway folded like that, it's plenty to keep the hull out of the water during a normal high tide.

Also planning on setting up a pulley system to pull the t-top completely off. My wife likes to sit in the sun at not the shade, while I like the shade.

Also bought the stuff to put a counterweight based slip centering setup in the other boathouse bay.

Here's a highlighted shot of the setup at the family boathouse around the corner that I'm copying.

One for the front and rear of the boat. Quick and easy storage when I don't want to put the boat in the lift, or someone is visiting.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Pretty boat shed. I grew up around the bay/Dauphin Island, been long time since I heard Negus. Dad had a couple of Stauter Builts, good times in those.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is only moderately on-topic, but I stumbled across this in another thread, some goon is mostly done with some battleship game. I'm not at all affiliated with it, just wanted to rep what might be the only goon-built naval game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3607482&pagenumber=353&perpage=40#post513088382

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482750/All_Or_Nothing_Waves_of_Steel/

game posted:

All or Nothing: Waves of Steel is a fast and accessible naval combat simulator. Across its single-player campaign, your lone ship will need to take on hundreds of enemy ships, planes, and submarines, as well as colossal superweapons like a flying battleship and a gun made out of a volcano

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've played it a bit, it's good; it's kind of like those ace combat games in that it's very arcadey and light but leverages a deep appreciation for the details of naval warfare tech.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Seems kinda like World of Warships, but I don't have to deal with other people and I get to configure my own ship? Sounds dope.

Do I need an account on itch.io to download the demo?

Nevermind, according to a more recent update on the dev blog the demo's gone, looks like I wait for either another demo or the early-access version hopefully in May. Oh well, wishlisted it on steam.

boxen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 10, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hey, thanks for the interest! And thank you, Hadlock, for the kind words. I'm currently running a closed beta, and plan to enter Early Access in May, with a final release at the end of the year. If you'd like to play the beta, I'll happily add you to the beta testers role on the game's discord, which includes access to builds (Windows-only for the time being).

boxen posted:

Seems kinda like World of Warships, but I don't have to deal with other people and I get to configure my own ship? Sounds dope.

It's more like singleplayer nautical Ace Combat. The actual inspiration is the 2006 PS2 game Warship Gunner 2! :science:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

So is anyone posting from the Red Sea or eastern Med?

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Not my image, from the WSJ.

Whoopsie daisy...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How does this get fixed? Do they have to make room for tugs, or do they pull it from either shore? Something else?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does this get fixed? Do they have to make room for tugs, or do they pull it from either shore? Something else?

Nope. They've been going at it with tugs for a while now. It's right and proper stuck. They've already tried pulling it from shore. They're going to need a lot more tugs and land based tracked vehicles. The ship has one of those bulbous noses and people are thinking that got jammed under the side of the canal.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wonder if they'll have to unload the cargo first, yikes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wonder if they'll have to unload the cargo first, yikes.

It would surprise me if they don't have to both unload some cargo and excavate the bulb from the side of the canal.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

MisterOblivious posted:

The ship has one of those bulbous noses and people are thinking that got jammed under the side of the canal.

Looks like.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Get enough block and tackle and just haul it around.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Looks like.

Lol, you even managed to find another picture happening to the same company.

(All of their ships start with EVER)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does this get fixed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiQOCX9UbM

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INSTW8xfKU0&t=116s

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Project Chariot is an interesting read, the same general concept, except building a deep water port in remote alaska

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/actual-1950s-proposal-nuke-alaska

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Aloha, thread, haven't posted in here in many a year. Went and looked at a Hans Christian 33 and a Nor'Sea 27 this week to set up as my part-time pied-a-tier on the west coast and eventually resume my early twenties dream of taking off for Antarctica.

The Nor'Sea was a totally unseaworthty basket case for which the $15,000 asking price was almost offensive despite my best hopes. Sad, since they're selling as fast as they hit market now and the price basically doubled last year. I wouldn't cast off in this one before putting at least $50k into it and that's doing the work myself - impossible as it's sitting in Waikiki.

The HC33 was fuckin' tight design wise and confirms it is indeed a dream boat, checks off basically every box, but $89k USD is on the upper end of what I want to marine mortgage and I know refitting these for offshore costs $$$$ or time + $$. Also the extra 2" of draft and extra 10,000lbs for and extra 6' LWL and 3' of beam has me wary, even though the hull design makes them ridiculous nigh-unsinkable tanks. Full teak decks is also a major blargh, even if these ones won't leak when decayed and gently caress the deck structure thanks to no coring in the underlying GRP.

The search continues. Anyone have insight into marine mortgages?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rime posted:

Aloha, thread, haven't posted in here in many a year. Went and looked at a Hans Christian 33 and a Nor'Sea 27 this week to set up as my part-time pied-a-tier on the west coast and eventually resume my early twenties dream of taking off for Antarctica.

pied-a-pier, surely.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Pham Nuwen posted:

pied-a-pier, surely.

Bummer about the Nor'sea, Rime. Those are both gorgeous boats. Hope you can find something in-between those two extremes.

I've tripped over my own dick tiller extension again. It's an old Seaway-brand telescoping aluminum one, so I managed to split the outer sleeve. Still works, but should probably do something about it. Right now it extends from ~18" to 30" and swivels on a machine screw through the tiller. The closest replacement I've found is this Forespar with a quick release.

I cut my tiller down a bit, so a slightly longer extension would be nice. Looks like there are fixed 36" models out there but they seem to use a rubber flex section in place of the hinge and pivot I'm used to. I get they point up at 12-o-clock when not being used. How is that in-practice?

It also looks like the Spinlock 900 series might be a good fit but at $250 it would need to be borderline indestructible (at least 210lb goon proof.)

Anyone got an extension they like? Something I'm missingThe boat is a Catalina 22 that I mainly single hand and occasionally entertain (where quick release would be nice.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

monsterzero posted:

It also looks like the Spinlock 900 series might be a good fit but at $250 it would need to be borderline indestructible (at least 210lb goon proof.)

Anyone got an extension they like? Something I'm missingThe boat is a Catalina 22 that I mainly single hand and occasionally entertain (where quick release would be nice.)

In my world, the ronstan battlestick is the go-to choice, especially for J/24 and J/80 sailors/racers. It doesn't telescope, though. They're about $100. I've never seen one break in ~12 years

Smug rear end in a top hat look while using it: optional

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 1, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Went to the boat last weekend with the goal of cleaning it and setting back up the batteries. Did a bit of my tasks, but it started raining hard enough that I bailed on setting up the cranking bat as that was in the locker and I'd have to *gasp* get rained on.

Did set up the house battery in a case and strapped it to a piece of wood. It won't go anywhere. Filled it up with water while I was at it as it was completely dry. Hooked it up and curiously the voltmeter only gave me a reading when I was set to 1, not 2. I thought 2 was the house battery? Seems I understand the electrics of this boat even less than I thought.

A while ago I brought back the old Maxxon dinghy to my basement with the thought that I'd inflate it and see whether it kept air or not. Remarkably, despite being old af and looking uh... disgusting, the thing is staying inflated so that's good.

The previous owners are being super nice and doing me a huge favour by helping me set back up the boat for the sailing season on the weekend. This is great because I have almost no idea what I'm doing.

I'm going to use the opportunity to ask some more questions, like how on earth to use the pressurized methyl alcohol stove. I look at that thing and I'm just like :confused:.

I was planning on taking a skipper course with the local sailing clubs but recently the pandemic has cranked into insane overdrive (1000 cases today in BC) and I don't think that's happening so lol. Either I'll just wing it or I know 2 peeps with lots of sailing experience and I can beg them to come out with me.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 1, 2021

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Strike the h, make it a hard g. It's a dingy.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Strike the h, make it a hard g. It's a dingy.

:golfclap:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Went to the boat last weekend with the goal of cleaning it and setting back up the batteries. Did a bit of my tasks, but it started raining hard enough that I bailed on setting up the cranking bat as that was in the locker and I'd have to *gasp* get rained on.

Did set up the house battery in a case and strapped it to a piece of wood. It won't go anywhere. Filled it up with water while I was at it as it was completely dry. Hooked it up and curiously the voltmeter only gave me a reading when I was set to 1, not 2. I thought 2 was the house battery? Seems I understand the electrics of this boat even less than I thought.

A while ago I brought back the old Maxxon dinghy to my basement with the thought that I'd inflate it and see whether it kept air or not. Remarkably, despite being old af and looking uh... disgusting, the thing is staying inflated so that's good.

The previous owners are being super nice and doing me a huge favour by helping me set back up the boat for the sailing season on the weekend. This is great because I have almost no idea what I'm doing.

I'm going to use the opportunity to ask some more questions, like how on earth to use the pressurized methyl alcohol stove. I look at that thing and I'm just like :confused:.

I was planning on taking a skipper course with the local sailing clubs but recently the pandemic has cranked into insane overdrive (1000 cases today in BC) and I don't think that's happening so lol. Either I'll just wing it or I know 2 peeps with lots of sailing experience and I can beg them to come out with me.

Beg? Here's some free advice: ask them straight up if they want to help you learn how to sail, also mention that you can bring a cooler with beer in it :sun:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or wine. Some sailors are fancy like that.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, be like that! :colbert:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hey Femto, Jericho is offering the VHF operators certification 100% online right now for a reasonable price if you need it.

E: Actually it looks like a bunch of places are doing it online and Jericho is the most expensive!

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 2, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Rime posted:

Hey Femto, Jericho is offering the VHF operators certification 100% online right now for a reasonable price if you need it.

E: Actually it looks like a bunch of places are doing it online and Jericho is the most expensive!

This has been on my list of stuff to do and I've been procrastinating. I did notice that people were doing it 100% online which is great. I really gotta just get off my rear end and sign up.

The previous boat owners helped me out a ton today by coming by and helping me put up the sails. We also got the engine running and it was working fine. They saved me heaps of time because some of this stuff I'd never done before (eg. I'd done all sorts of things to a main sail, but hadn't put up a jib before).

Feeling more real now. Potentially I could go out sailing next weekend. Everything is pretty good except the boat is still kinda dirty and there's no cushions since I removed all those because they were gross and 70s. Fixing that stuff up will new upholstery (and new foam maybe?) will be a summer project.

Also took down the Magma charcoal BBQ and cleaned that thing out. I probably shouldn't have left that out all winter.... Anyway it's looking much better now but I'm gonna see if I can polish it up even more.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

hoho seems like I might be completely hosed because thanks to the pandemic suddenly taking a turn for the absolutely insanely bad in BC (ie. 1000+ cases a day, brazil variants) everyone is staying home and if no one goes on long sailing trips, there is no sublet availability at all. I needed a sublet after May 1st, which I was told was "easy." (Apparently true...pre-pandemic)

In calling around I've been told that normally plenty of people head out to go sailing to the USA and other places up north (eg. Desolation Sound), but it's simply not happening this year (the closed border insures that, but even beyond that I got the vibe that the marina folks meant people are just staying home in general).

Frustratingly there was actually an annual spot (!) available at Sidney, just a ferry ride away from Vancouver and walkable from the ferry, but I would have needed to call 4 weeks ago. If I had forseen the relationship between the closed border and the lack of sublets I certainly would have, but I didn't make that connection. If anything I thought in a worsening pandemic scenario people would be more likely to go off and be remote, but perhaps people feel more comfortable hunkering down at home where they can order door dash pizza than hunkering down amongst some remote island chain up north.

Anyway so I guess I'm going to be looking to call around at Nanaimo and even more far flung places now but I really have zero expectations at this point. I am super hosed when I get booted from winter moorage on May 1st and I guess I'll join the derelict boats in False Creek??

:negative:

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 9, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Anybody have opinions on the best sub-300 pound outboard? We need to pull the trigger on a new engine for our 1986 Hewescraft River Runner but all the other forums just say MAX HORSEPOWER OR YOU’LL NEVER GET ON STEP. The problem is that the boat was rated for a 150 and that is way, way, WAY too heavy even with a carbureted 2-stroke.

The existing engine is a 90hp V4 Evinrude with manual trim and weighs just over 300 pounds. I would really like to take weight off the transom if possible. The hull is a mostly flat bottom and weighs about 800 pounds dry. It currently has an 18 gallon steel gas tank against the transom.

My thought is to go with a Suzuki DF60A. It looks like that would get me to around 33mph at WOT. The 90 could do about 35. With a 12 gallon plastic tank that would remove around 100 pounds from the transom.

Here’s what I’m working with:

Yes, we get >20’ tides here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody have opinions on the best sub-300 pound outboard? We need to pull the trigger on a new engine for our 1986 Hewescraft River Runner but all the other forums just say MAX HORSEPOWER OR YOU’LL NEVER GET ON STEP. The problem is that the boat was rated for a 150 and that is way, way, WAY too heavy even with a carbureted 2-stroke.

The existing engine is a 90hp V4 Evinrude with manual trim and weighs just over 300 pounds. I would really like to take weight off the transom if possible. The hull is a mostly flat bottom and weighs about 800 pounds dry. It currently has an 18 gallon steel gas tank against the transom.

My thought is to go with a Suzuki DF60A. It looks like that would get me to around 33mph at WOT. The 90 could do about 35. With a 12 gallon plastic tank that would remove around 100 pounds from the transom.

Here’s what I’m working with:

Yes, we get >20’ tides here.

You keep popping up on my bookmarks.

I'm a big Suzuki fan. However, the biggest issue with them is dealer support. If you've got a local Zuke dealer, then a DF60 would be a good bet. Fuel injection is basically the best thing to happen to outboards, and it's great that it's trickled down to even the little ones (my wife's Merc 15 has battery-less EFI). The Suzuki's really are light, and we had great luck with reliability in heavy commercial duty.

The other thing to do is research on props. The one that covers with the motor probably won't be best for your hull. Oh, and go aluminum (and buy a spare).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You might also look into the high thrust yamahas. Smaller motor, but a big gearcase to put on a stonking big prop. Might be worth a thought.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

sharkytm posted:

I'm a big Suzuki fan. However, the biggest issue with them is dealer support. If you've got a local Zuke dealer, then a DF60 would be a good bet.

The other thing to do is research on props. The one that covers with the motor probably won't be best for your hull. Oh, and go aluminum (and buy a spare).

Our Honda dealer is also Suzuki; he’s who suggested it. A Honda 60 had been at the top of my list. He didn’t have anything bad to say about the Honda but said he’s been hanging a lot of smaller Suzukis and everybody has been very happy with them.

Why aluminum prop? I was planning to basically go with the lowest pitch stainless I can get since the days where I can get a flat-bottom boat to WOT are few and far between.

Elmnt80 posted:

You might also look into the high thrust yamahas. Smaller motor, but a big gearcase to put on a stonking big prop. Might be worth a thought.

Everybody has a high thrust model with a larger lower unit.

I like Yamaha, but their dealer here is an idiot. They are also the Merc dealer and nobody has anything good to say. A friend paid them to install new control cables on his Optimaxes last year and when he launched it turned out they never hooked up the motor end of one outboard.

Anybody have experience with the new Tohatsu 60? I hear good things but it has such a lower displacement than all the other brands that I’m concerned about torque.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I concur on getting either a Suzuki or Yamaha depending on how good the local dealer is. Sounds like we know the answer to that question. As for the horsepower, with the Suzukis the weight difference between the 90 and 115/140s is only about 50lb (~350 vs ~400 or so)...

Edit: between reading and posting my pea brain turned your 60 into a 90, it’s a big jump in weight from the 60 to the 70+, ~100lb.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

*Whew* found a spot so my status is no longer hosed.

If everyone isn't going on holiday because um, pandemic, well does that mean that the holiday places where they would be going to with their boat are empty?

Yes it does.

Popular holiday destination Saltspring Island, where you go for goat cheese and hippie vibes has nine 35 ft slips available.

I'll most likely take this, but boy is it off the beaten track from Vancouver. The ferry is from a suburb of Vancouver, makes a stop on the way to Saltspring, and only goes twice a day.

That being said it's a heck of a lot better than the alternative which is just anchoring my boat in Vancouver's False Creek, stressing out if the anchor is proper and it's not being raided by thieves.